1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers and Steelers Super Bowl should be a lesson for the league

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BrecksOnlyBoltzFan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    This should be a lesson to the Chargers. These are 2 teams who do things the right way. from the ownership down these teams look at things in the long term. The Steelers have had 3 coaches in the last 40 years. These teams are successful because they dont hire retread coaches like Marty or Norv. Im not smart enough to have the answer. But Im sick of my team being a JOKE.

GO C/-/ARGERS

2. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

Ratings:
    +39
    That goes for my Padres too.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Wait wait!!

San_Diego_Chargers_1035.jpg

You mean this...

large_mike_tomlin_bye.jpg

plus this

79801_steelers_no_running_allowed_football.jpg

equals this?

super-bowl-43-steelers-1L.jpg

Well why didn't you say so?

norvturner2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Because Bud Black is a retread?

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Since you wat to include baseball the defending world series champions won with a retread manager...

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    nice to see some things never change around here :lol:

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I don't get how the Steelers are this damn good every single year.

Lets analyze every position between the two teams....

QB: Chargers SB or not Rivers is the better player, the Steelers wen' 3-1 WITHOUT Ben this year.
    RB: Steelers For now, but I think Mathews will be right in the Mendenhall tier real soon. Tolbert > Redmond.
    O-line: Chargers And its not close, for those that argue BEEF BEEF BEEF.
    TE: Chargers Again not close.
    WR: Chargers When Jackson, Floyd, and Crayton are there.
    DL: Chargers Aaron Smith is it for them. Hampton is not even on the field more than 50% of the snaps.
    LBs: Steelers Big advantage for them.
    Ss: Steelers Polamalu.
    CBs: Chargers None of their corners could start for us.

And of course coaching.....

8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Well this was informative

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Sometimes, I honestly believe, that certain teams are good year in and year out simply because they just KNOW they are better than everyone else. The Rooney's deserve, at the very least, the respect of every single NFL fan out there for what they have accomplished over they years. I wish we had an owner like them.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, Bud Black is no where near begin a retread and the same goes for Bochy before him. Bochy was in SD for 12 years. We are on our 2nd coach in 16 years. Not sure what you are saying.

As fro the Chargers, I agree.

11. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

Ratings:
    +39
    Sorry all. Bud black is far from a Retread. I may have had too much to drink. I was just venting. I have NO IDEA what its like for my team(s)to win a Championship.
    Steelers have 6 rings going for 7 Why? What makes them so good? Do they have a home field advantage? They changed Venues and kept rolling.
    Does playing in perfect weather hurt us? Is it a weak division?

Well anyway. I don't have the answers. Just frustrated .

Sorry to include my Pads in this thread.

GO C/-/ARGERS

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    That's circular logic. You may as well be saying they're good because they win a lot.

I can go out there and thoroughly convince myself that I'm good and I would still get squashed on the field.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The Steelers are a great team year in and year out because they're tough, end of discussion. They don't play with gimmicks. They don't have any exotic tricks. Well, Ben probably does, but that is another story. They have a ball hawk safety and a linebacking corps that is tenacious in all phases. They have a defensive line that does it's job and an offensive line that...doesn't. Still, with mobility and "toughness" (possibly to his personal detriment), Roethlisberger can still manage the whole game behind the front line. They run on you, the whole time, and they don't abandon that even when they're down. This all said, they don't win every game and in some they don't even come close. In some games they look absolutely atrocious but they usually win enough to play in January, and it all comes together for them in the Playoffs. The Steelers deserve, more than anyone, the opportunity to play for their seventh World Championship.

• Like Like x 1
  14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Steelers are successful because they are consistent!

They have a philosophy and identitiy that everyone buys into and that they protect and maintain year after year!

Tough, uncomprimising defence and an in your face running game backed up with a decent QB who can pick up third downs to move the chains. Rothlisberger is half the QB Rivers is...but he may have 3 superbowls soon!!! A Franchise Qb doesn't gurantee you success!

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    You would know since you're the king of running in circles around here. :p

I wasn't saying they were good because they win a lot, that's a big WELL, NO SH*T! statement, and tbh, the simple way out. If I was, that's what I would have posted. More like they win a lot because the know they are good and so does everyone else. I said they know they are better, and that positive energy promotes a positive reaction, on the field, in the locker room, ect. It's they psychological effect of years of dominance, on the field, in the locker room, in the draft, in FA, ect. Their sustained excellence breeds more excellence.

Stop implying what I'm trying to say, you know what I mean and are looking to stir the pot as usual. I'll spell it out more for you next time in order to avoid any more confusion you might have.

• Like Like x 1
  16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Dick LeBeau

Look it up

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    or look up polamalu, When polamalu plays the stealers usally win. When he's hurt the stealers usually loose. The guy is the glue that holds that defense together.

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Well said man! :clap:

• Like Like x 1
  19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Prior to Chuck Noll being hired in 69 the Stiller's never had a wining season, 500 was the best they could do on their own. During WWII they converged with the Cardinal's and the Eagle's or something like that and qualified for a championship of some sort. I read this while looking up some football history on toughest players and it lead me to the Stiller's of all teams. Chuck Noll turned them into what they are and Art Rooney let him run the team the way he seen fit. Players either loved Noll or hated him, but they all sure as hell played and gave him their best on Sunday's. Noll started a tradition and they've been motoring along every since, It's a privilege to be a Stiller not a right and their DAWG HOUSE is still used by the slacker's.

• Like Like x 1
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    To expound upon that. Pittsburgh's mindset as a team for the last 30-40 years has essentially been, we're going to beat you into submission - offensive, defensively, however we can... no remorse, no excuses. They're quite literally like old school (and I'm talking Revolutionary and Civil War era) soldiers that marched into the field in wide rows, several columns deep, stood across from one another and just fired... and when one guy dropped down injured or dead, another stepped right into his spot and fought as if his life depended on it (because it did!).

Their coaching leadership has never been the rah-rah sort or the drill sergeant R. Lee Ermey up in your face chewing your butt out like Doublemint kind. They focus on a never say die attitude, getting the players to buy in, and the players pretty much police themselves and it's rather surprising if you step back and look how much of the actually leadership and calls for accountability on that team comes from the players rather than the coaching staff.

Certain observations by position:

QB: I hate to say it, but based off of body of work, Ben is right now more clutch than Rivers is. Rivers may be a better QB technically, but Ben just manages to pull plays out of his *** far more than Rivers do. He's kind of the Antonio Gates of QB's - injuries don't stop him, getting smacked around doesn't stop him... it's almost inexplicable the way he manages to find success in the face of adversity the way he does. Rivers can get there, but he doesn't have the mobility that Ben has - same as Ben doesn't have the pinpoint accuracy Rivers does - they are different "types" of QB's, both extremely dangerous.

WR's: As pure receivers ours may be more ideal - I still think Mike Wallace has pre-injury Welker ceiling to him though. However, what their guys do that not all of our do is fully sell out when run-blocking. And it's not that they don't know how to do it - Charlie Joyner teaches and preaches it because he DID IT as a pro. It's really a mental thing. Their receivers have the mean streak of defensive backs when they're blocking... our have the mentality of glorified special teamers.

DL: We have one guy on our DL with killer instinct - Garay... Castillo could have been argued as having it once, though I never really saw it. He never really ground out many tackles. And really, I think a lot of it is hunger - part of that's on the DL coach to instill in them or rather to cultivate, but the spark has to be there to be cultivated. There still may be hope for Martin and Baby Zilla, or for reigniting the spark in Castillo, but even when they're losing ground at the POA, I don't see many of our defensive linemen fighting tooth and nail to regain advantage or to not get pushed back.

LB: A lot of what I see in the Pittsburgh LB corps (yes, they have talent, but it's more than that) is chemistry. The four of them seem to move as one and know/anticipate what the others are going to do in response to any given development that the opposing offense throws at them. Part of that is reps together, part of that is scheme. Our blasted LB corps has been in such a state of flux since essentially the season in which Merriman should have just gotten surgery but didn't, that we haven't been able to field a consistent unit. Burnett missed time with injury. Cooper missed time with injury. English missed time with injury. Merriman missed time with injury. Siler missed time with injury. Tucker (though I'm not much of a fan of his) missed time with injury.

DB: It's more than just Troy. Yes, Troy is a beast, but Ryan Clark doesn't get the recognition that he deserves. Not so much because what he does but because of what he allows Head & Shoulders to be able to do. We lack a legitimate center-fielder. Weddle doesn't have the hands for it and he's much more useful in the thick of things playing the short field as Polamalu does. Problem is Oliver isn't an ideal deep safety, Stuckey can't manage to get himself on the field, Clinton Hart was an abomination in deep coverage, Gregory's strengths too closely mirror Weddle's.

I will point out one thing though for one of the major critiques that folks have of AJ. Neither the Steelers or Packers are ever major players in free agency and when they do sign players it is typically stop-gap veterans or depth vets.

21. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I don't why other teams don't copy the Steelers? All they do is copy the Patriots. When the steelers formula has been working for years and the patriot way is just new bull that has been figured out.

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    you know what? You hit it on the head. Every great team has a great coach and a difference maker on each side of the ball.

how hard can it be?

norv.....

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    It's easy to "analyze" how Pittsburgh wins and spout off all these football cliches about how they want to "punch you in the mouth" and play "tough football" and "beat you up" and how they "know they're better than everyone" but in the end they're all just cliches.

You know who else had that philosophy?

So, yeah, winning football games is more than just cliches about how you want to be rough and touch and beat people up. The Steelers win games because they constantly get the right personnel to enforce this philosophy and they have constantly found great coaches. It's as simple as that and has nothing to do with overused cliches.

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The Steelers have an image that they live up to. Teams just know it's going to be a long afternoon when playing the Steelers, we may win the war,but we will lose this battle. They're known as a physical team on both sides of the ball and are not afraid to take a shot a garner a flag if it means the difference between winning and losing. Whatever it takes is what they do and they do it well.

25. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    You're right Leo, which is why I'm glad LBC came aboard and expounded upon the original point. The chemistry of both the Steelers D-line and linebackers is unmistakable and it has a huge impact for that team, always has. And the toughness factor shouldn't be overlooked, especially with a player happens to be a clutch quarterback like Roethlisberger or an insanely talented play-maker like James Harrison.

I love watching Steelers football because it is so unrelenting. So I stand by it: the Steelers are the most deserving team in the 2011 Super Bowl because they are tough, end of story.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    The thing is, teams like the Colts, Rams, Saints, Patriots, and 49ers back in the day won off an explosive offense and a very good defense that, nevertheless, wasn't the focal point of their success.

The Steelers certainly have a winning formula but it is not the only winning formula.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I also don't see what makes the Steelers any more deserving to be there than Green Bay, who had to beat more opponants to get there.

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't see why the Steelers are any less deserving to win the Super Bowl than Green Bay, after all they had to play a tough and long schedule just the same. They have a chance to make history with the most SB to date, that would great to witness for one of the best all-time franchises in the league.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    not sure if you're responding to me, but I never said Pittsburgh is less deserving. I was just arguing the claim that they're "the most deserving" when Green Bay is just as deserving to be where they are.

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    By the rules set forth in the NFL if you make it to the SB one earns the right to be there. Deserving to win is not laid out in any set of rules nor stated in the NFL dogma, only beheld in the mind of the individual fan. Who is right or wrong in this matter depends on the color one wears on that day.