1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padre Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Apr 5, 2008.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    padres are the same every year. They are what they put on the field.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Thatcher goes back to basics vs. SF

SAN DIEGO -- Five days after his roughest and clearly most humbling outing in his short Major League career, Joe Thatcher found himself back on the mound in yet another close game, this time at AT&T Park.

Determined to stash away forever the lingering memories -- or, as it were, a nightmare -- of an inning last week during which he walked three and got just one out, Thatcher decided to follow his own advice, the words of wisdom that helped the left-hander reach the big leagues after a humble beginning.

Thatcher, let it loose.

Thatcher retired six of the seven batters he faced in Wednesday's eventual 3-2 loss to the Giants in 11 innings, but he showed that his outing against the Dodgers on April 4 was nothing but a simple misstep in a long season.

"I talked with [pitching coach Darren] Balsley after that outing, talked about what I was thinking out there ... as far as how to attack guys in the strike zone," Thatcher said. "It wasn't anything mechanical. Everything feels good. We're going to write it off as a bad day."

Granted, there haven't been many bad days since Thatcher joined the Padres last July in the deal -- an unpopular one at the time among players -- that sent Scott Linebrink to the Brewers for three pitchers who had never seen a day in the Major Leagues.

Thatcher went 2-2 with a 1.29 ERA in 22 games after being recalled from Triple-A Portland, earning the trust of manager Bud Black with a stretch of strong performances out of the bullpen, especially in September, when he had a 1.13 ERA.

That performance and a strong Spring Training earned Thatcher a spot in the bullpen as one of the relievers used to set up closer Trevor Hoffman, though as is occasionally the case with Hoffman, the road to late-inning success is sometimes a bumpy one.

Not that Thatcher isn't accustomed to his share of twists and turns, as the 26-year-old was undrafted out of Indiana State University before pitching parts of two seasons for River City of the independent Frontier League before the Brewers signed him in July 2005.

"I love playing baseball, when I went to play independent ball, I went for fun," Thatcher said. "I knew I could pitch at the next level, but mostly, I wanted to play to have fun. It was a long shot, but every chance I got to prove myself I let it all hang out. I really had nothing to lose.

"That's kind of the approach I took last year. No matter what was going on around me, I was just going to go after it 100 percent."

Thatcher nearly turned his back on baseball in 2005. After earning a degree in insurance and risk management, Thatcher got certified to sell insurance in his home state and got a job selling commercial insurance in his hometown of Kokomo, Ind.

"I got a little taste of the 9-to-5, sitting behind a desk and wearing a tie," Thatcher said. "That's the other thing that motivated me [to pursue baseball]. That's not something I wanted to do. When Spring Training came around, I was glad to get out of there."

Thatcher pitched parts of three seasons in the Brewers farm system before the Padres traded for him and pitcher Will Inman and Steve Garrison. Inman was considered the gem of the deal, though Thatcher arrived in the Major Leagues first.

Not a day goes by, Thatcher said, where he isn't thankful for his opportunity to pitch in the Major Leagues.

"Every day, something reminds me that I'm here," Thatcher said. "Two years ago, I was playing in front of 2,000 people, making $600 a month. I talked with some guys I played back there with [and] one guy is still pitching there. It does make you appreciate the ride more."

Staying here, though, is the tough part. Thatcher, if nothing else, has shown the ability to get both left-handed and right-handed hitters out, using a cut fastball that runs in on the hands of right-handers to get outs.

In his last outing Tuesday in San Francisco, Thatcher showed a more consistent release point, something that troubled him against the Dodgers. He got right-handers and left-handers out and showed why the Padres have entrusted him with important innings late in games.

"I did think his delivery looked as smooth as Joe can make it look. I thought that he was repeating his delivery," Black said. "Everyone has their own unique style, but it looked like Joe was repeating his arm slot. His ball had a nice cut action to it.

"Collectively, for us to have an effective bullpen, it takes all of the guys ... not just two or three guys throwing well. To win games, a series, to win a stretch of games, you need all seven guys pitching well. Joe is a very important part of that."

3. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    guess im turning to basketball to help ease the offseason pain. Padres will have to do after that.

4. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Rotation uncertain after Maddux

The Padres know this much about their starting rotation: Greg Maddux will start on Sunday in the third and final game of the series against the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium.

Beyond that, though, the Padres have some choices to make about which pitchers will start the second and third games against the Colorado Rockies on Wednesday and Thursday at PETCO Park.

San Diego manager Bud Black said Saturday that he'll likely have a better idea on Sunday if No. 5 starter Justin Germano -- who has opened the season with 13 scoreless innings over two starts -- will have his start Wednesday skipped in order to keep the other four starters in the rotation on normal rest.

As it stands now, Randy Wolf will pitch the opener on Tuesday, Germano would go on Wednesday and Jake Peavy would pitch Thursday against the Rockies.

If Germano is skipped, Wolf would start Tuesday, Peavy on Wednesday and Chris Young on Thursday.

As for Sunday's game against the Dodgers, Maddux -- who has 348 career victories -- is coming off a start against the Giants in which he settled down after a rough start to retire 19 of the last 20 hitters he faced.

Pitching matchup
    SD: RHP Greg Maddux (1-0, 2.77 ERA)
    Maddux got off to a rough start in his second start of the season on April 7 against the Giants, walking two and allowing a run on two hits in the first inning. That was the end of his trouble, though, as the future Hall of Famer earned career victory No. 348 and his first of the season. He struck out five and walked two. Maddux, oddly enough, didn't allow a single flyout until the seventh inning.

LAD: RHP Chad Billingsley (0-1, 9.64 ERA)
    Billingsley only pitched in relief against the Padres in San Diego, but he gets the start in the series finale against Maddux. He threw two scoreless innings at PETCO Park, working out of a jam. He is 4-1 lifetime against San Diego, with a 2.19 ERA.

Tidbits
    In addition to Tony Clark and Scott Hairston, Callix Crabbe will wear jersey No. 42 on Tuesday at PETCO Park when the Padres face the Rockies. All three players will wear the uniform number on the 61st anniversary of the day that Jackie Robinson of the Brooklyn Dodgers broke baseball's color barrier. ... Jim Edmonds' double on Friday snapped a streak of 31 singles for the Padres dating back to a Josh Bard double on April 7 against the Giants. The longest streak for the most hits without an extra-base hit was set by the Dodgers (41) in 1988. .. The Padres went 6-for-12 with runners in scoring position Friday after going a combined 0-for-17 over their previous two games, both losses to the Giants.

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Peavy finding different ways to win

LOS ANGELES -- Statistically speaking, Jake Peavy was nowhere near as dominant on Friday against the Los Angeles Dodgers as he was six days earlier, when he allowed one run on two hits in a complete-game victory.

In Friday's 7-5 victory over the Dodgers, Peavy allowed seven hits before he got seven outs, and without his best command, gutted his way through six innings to earn his third victory in as many starts this season.

Yet if you ask Peavy or pitching coach Darren Balsley, they'll point to Friday's game as a start that, in their eyes at least, was every bit as impressive as any shutout performance by the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner.

"I'm as happy with this one as I am the first two of the season," Peavy said. "This is what it's all about -- finding ways to win. You're not going to have what I had five days ago every time out."

Balsley said while Peavy's command was amiss at times -- he allowed nine hits, three runs, two walks and had four strikeouts -- Peavy was able to find his way as the game rolled on with a patient approach instead of forcing things.

"It is impressive," Balsley said. "He has learned how to back off a little bit and slow things down and make big pitches instead of just a ton of good ones. He's taking it one pitch at a time ...

"He's learned how to make pitches when he needs to, against a bunch of guys who have seen him a lot of times. They know where he throws, but he was able to bear down and still make his pitch."

That was partly because Peavy has used his changeup more this season, even though it's a pitch he occasionally mixed in according to Balsley, though mostly only to left-handed hitters.

"He has more confidence in it now. He got away from it because his slider got so good he didn't need to throw it as often," Balsley said. "But guys know him. Right-handed hitters can't sit on his slider. They might see that changeup."

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Maddux, Padres prevail in duel in LA

LOS ANGELES -- It was difficult to discern what mattered most Sunday for the Padres: five nearly drama-free and efficient innings from Greg Maddux or four shutout innings from a bullpen that has been anything but drama-free this season.

Luckily for the Padres, they had both to kick around on the two-hour bus ride back home following their 1-0 victory over the Dodgers on a 95-degree afternoon at Dodger Stadium, where hitting didn't so much take a day off as much as it never had a chance.

"Today," Padres manager Bud Black said afterward, "... was all about pitching on both sides."

The difference was the Padres (7-6) had more, especially when it mattered most, such as after Maddux (2-0) departed the game after throwing 67 pitches in five innings, yielding just two hits.

Pitching coach Darren Balsley said Maddux, who had left the clubhouse before reporters arrived, was "a little drained physically," though he could have likely tossed at least one more inning.

When asked about the way Maddux methodically attacked the strike zone with such great efficiency, Balsley shrugged, only because he's said it over and over before.

"He threw strikes, kept the ball down," Balsley said. "There is not more that I can add."

But while Maddux's start on Sunday might have resembled nothing different than, say, any of his prior 348 victories, the way the Padres closed the game ranked substantially higher on the importance meter.

Toss out Jake Peavy's complete-game victory on April 5 against these same Dodgers, and the Padres' bullpen hasn't gone a game without allowing a run since the second game of the season on April 1 against the Astros.

But the bullpen showed the same kind of dependability Sunday that Black saw time and time again in 2007, when the Padres led the Major Leagues in bullpen ERA at 3.06.

"In this day and age, it's important to have a bullpen you can count on," Black said. "We feel as the season moves on, we're going to have that."

First out of the bullpen was Joe Thatcher, he of the 10.80 ERA. Thatcher allowed a hit to Juan Pierre in the sixth inning, but made Andre Ethier look bad on a slider away for a strikeout before getting Jeff Kent to pop up to catcher Josh Bard in foul territory.

In the seventh inning, Black handed the ball to Cla Meredith, who along with Heath Bell, has been reliable this season. Meredith buzzed through a 1-2-3 inning, getting the last out with a strikeout of Andruw Jones, who is now hitting .100.

Bell took over in the eighth inning and allowed a bloop single into center field by rookie Blake DeWitt before retiring the next three hitters he faced, maintaining the narrow lead as the bullpen bustled one last time.

In the ninth inning, naturally, the Padres gave the ball to Trevor Hoffman, who entered the game with an 11.57 ERA, one blown save and two losses. Hoffman got two quick outs before James Loney dumped an opposite-field double down into left field.

That brought up Russell Martin, who took a big cut at a Hoffman fastball, hitting it off the end of the bat as left fielder Scott Hairston, who appeared to be shading Martin to left-center, made a running grab to end the game.

In all fairness to the defense, Padres shortstop Khalil Greene made three nice plays, Black said, perhaps none finer than the smothering dive up the middle of Martin's ball to end the fourth inning with a runner on second base.

"It's fun to play behind him," Greene said of Maddux, who induced six groundouts. "He pitches to contact. There is so much action he generates by his style. The fact that he works quick plays into that as well."

The Padres got just one run off starter Chad Billingsley, who was 4-0 with a 1.05 ERA in six games against the Padres last season. That lone run came in the fourth inning as Jim Edmonds walked and moved to third base on Greene's double, only to score when Paul McAnulty got enough of a two-strike curveball to hit it to right field for a sacrifice fly.

Black wasn't discouraged by the Padres' recent lack of offense. They scored just twice in a 21-inning stretch starting in San Francisco and extending into Friday's 7-5 victory over the Dodgers. Now they've scored one run in their last 19 innings.

"We've faced some good pitching, but that's what this division is like," Black said, as he rattled off the names of pitchers the Padres have already faced like Brad Penny and Derek Lowe (twice each), Roy Oswalt, Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum to name a few.

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Padres hope to help Wolf earn first 'W'

The Padres get their first look at the Rockies since that fateful game on Oct. 1, when Colorado rallied for a 13-inning victory in the Wild Card play-in game at Coors Field.

The Rockies will also get their first look at left-handed pitcher Randy Wolf for the first time in a Padres uniform.

Wolf is winless after his first two starts of the season, but has pitched well in both games.

In his last start against the Giants, Wolf yielded runs in the second and third innings, but settled down thereafter, allowing two hits over his final three innings.

All told, Wolf allowed five hits with four strikeouts and one walk.

"His stuff was good ... six innings, only five hits, the one walk [to Brian Bocock in the third inning, which led to a run] I'm sure he'd like to have back," San Diego manager Bud Black said. "He was efficient, his pitch count was down and I thought his assortment of pitches were solid."

The Padres have scored five runs in games Wolf has started this season.

Pitching matchup
    SD: LHP Randy Wolf (0-0, 2.25 ERA)
    Wolf pitched well for the second time in as many starts this season when the left-hander allowed two runs on five hits over six innings in a loss to the Giants on April 8. Wolf allowed the leadoff hitter to reach base in the second, third, fifth and sixth innings, but still managed to mostly avoid trouble. He walked one, giving him just three walks in two starts. He mixed a fastball, curveball and changeup well.

COL: RHP Ubaldo Jimenez (1-1, 4.91 ERA)
    Jimenez found his rhythm against the Braves on Tuesday night, earning a 4-3 victory with a quality start in which he yielded three runs on six hits and four walks. Two of his walks came in the first inning and two more came to the opposing pitcher. But after yielding a run in the first on two hits and a walk, Jimenez retired 16 of 19, allowing only one hit before losing steam in the sixth and elevating a two-seam fastball that went for a two-run homer. His two-seamer was otherwise effective, especially with his slider in good form.

Tidbits
    Black said on Sunday that the starting rotation for the series against the Rockies will remain the same, though there was some internal discussion about not allowing No. 5 starter Justin Germano -- who has opened the season with 13 scoreless innings -- to make his start Wednesday so that the remaining starters remained on their regular rest with Monday's off-day. This way, everyone gets an extra day off. ... Black also said that right fielder Brian Giles, who didn't start for the second consecutive day because of a tweaked left side, was doing better Sunday. Black is still optimistic that Giles will start Tuesday against the Rockies. ... Black has come close on several occasions to giving utilityman Callix Crabbe his first Major League start. Sunday might have been that day had Crabbe not gotten two at-bats in relief of second baseman Tadahito Iguchi in Saturday's 11-1 loss to the Dodgers.

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Holliday, Rox head to SD for first time

PHOENIX -- Matt Holliday can brace for being public enemy No. 1 when the Rockies begin a three-game series against the Padres on Tuesday night at PETCO Park. Or he can revel in the booing that will ring in his ears.

Instead, Holliday is going to choose a third option, one he goes to whenever there is a potential distraction, good or bad.

He's simply going to ignore it.

On Oct. 1, Holliday ended what was arguably one of the best games in history by sliding in for the winning run in the 13th inning of the Rockies' 9-8 victory over the Padres in a tiebreaker game at Coors Field which determined the National League Wild Card. To this day, of course, many Padres fans don't believe Holliday ever actually touched the plate. A collision into the shin pad of Padres catcher Michael Barrett left him dazed. Umpire Tim McClelland made the ruling.

Holliday, who handled the aftermath with good-natured humor, has no interest in continuing the debate over the play that sent the Rockies to the playoffs. They made the World Series. The Padres, who took an 8-6 lead into the bottom of the 13th, went home.

"I hadn't even thought about it, one thought," Holliday said. "We've got bigger fish to fry than thinking about last year."

Part of the issue is the Rockies have started this year slowly. For Holliday, who works to whittle anything but the next game from his mind, no good can come from continuing to discuss that game -- even one that Rockies fans will never tire of reliving, and Rockies players will recall fondly when their careers are complete.

"We have confidence that we have a good team," Holliday said. "We have to start getting big hits and making big pitches, do the things that allowed us to win a bunch of games last year. Last year is over, but we've gotta start doing the things we did last year to help us win games.

"It's nobody's fault, nobody's fault. It's nobody's burden. But we all have to start performing."

Have a question about the Rockies?
    Thomas HardingE-mail your query to MLB.com Rockies beat reporter Thomas Harding for possible inclusion in a future mailbag column. Letters may be edited for brevity, length and/or content.
    First Name, Last Initial:

A few Rockies, however, didn't mind looking back to that happy night when they spoiled the Padres' playoff dreams. Officially a regular-season game, it was the Rockies' 14th victory in 15 contests. They also won their first seven playoff games.

"It was definitely amazing -- something that 20 years from now, I'm still going to remember that game," catcher Yorvit Torrealba said. "It was amazing. It was crazy.

"I'm sure for them it was crazy. But it lifted us to the point where we knew we could beat anybody."

Shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who is expected to rejoin the starting lineup after sitting out Sunday's victory over the Diamondbacks, said, "It was an unreal game that I'll always remember, and I think it was cool for baseball fans to watch that game."

First baseman Todd Helton said he's wondering what the reception will be.

"I'm not sure what it's going to be like," Helton said. "It's going to be interesting. If they do boo, I don't think it'll be too long.

"It'll be an exciting atmosphere. But they've got good fans. They'll be pretty tame."

Pitching matchup
    COL: RHP Ubaldo Jimenez (1-1, 4.91 ERA)
    Jimenez found his rhythm against the Braves on Tuesday night, earning a 4-3 victory with a quality start in which he yielded three runs on six hits and four walks. Two of his walks came in the first inning and two more came to the opposing pitcher. But after yielding a run in the first on two hits and a walk, Jimenez retired 16 of 19, allowing only one hit before losing steam in the sixth and elevating a two-seam fastball that went for a two-run homer. His two-seamer was otherwise effective, especially with his slider in good form.

SD: LHP Randy Wolf (0-0, 2.25 ERA)
    Wolf pitched well for the second time in as many starts this season when the left-hander allowed two runs on five hits over six innings in a loss to the Giants on Tuesday. Wolf allowed the leadoff hitter to reach base in the second, third, fifth and sixth innings, but still managed to mostly avoid trouble. Wolf walked one, giving him just three walks in two starts. He mixed a fastball, curveball and changeup well.

Tidbits
    Being hated by opposing fans is new to the Rockies, who didn't stir up much of any emotion when they were perennial also-rans. But manager Clint Hurdle was on teams that were booed on sight during his playing career in the 1970s and 80s. "With Kansas City, in New York, you would feel some heat," Hurdle said. "You'd feel some heat when you go into Chicago with the Cardinals. With the Mets that year, we felt heat just about everywhere. But that's just part of it. But you don't overreact, you don't under-react. It's just there. There's a buzz." ... The boos he's certain to get from the crowd aren't Holliday's only problem at PETCO Park. He has a .208 batting average with three home runs and 18 RBIs in 32 games there. It's his lowest average at any park at which he has played more than three games. But he enters with an eight-game hit streak during which he has hit .455. ... The two left-handed power hitters in the lineup, Helton and right fielder Brad Hawpe, are threats at PETCO. Helton has hit .355 with seven homers and 24 RBIs in 37 games, and Hawpe has hit .284 with four homers and 15 RBIs in 24 games. ... PETCO is considered a pitcher's park, and Jimenez said the humidity's effect on the baseball helps him with his breaking ball grip. ... Center fielder Willy Taveras has hit safely in five straight. ... Reserve infielder Clint Barmes hit a home run and drove in four runs while subbing for Tulowitzki on Sunday. If Hurdle wants to stay with the hot hand, he can use Barmes in place of second baseman Jayson Nix (1-for-3 on Sunday, .179 overall).

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Mailbag: What's up with Hoffman?

Why is Trevor Hoffman having such difficulties this season? Is it the location of his pitches, something in his mechanics or has he not quite healed from the surgery?
    -- Jeff B., Chico, Calif.

Jeff, I've been getting a fair amount of e-mails asking the same question and many calling for Hoffman, the Major League's career saves leader, to retire. I'll let manager Bud Black answer your question. Here's a quote from Friday's victory over Los Angeles, where Hoffman survived a rocky finish for his third save.

"Like I've said, it looks like his overall stuff is there," Black said. "For whatever reason the location is off 3-4-5-6 inches. ... He's hitting the glove. He just must be off a little."

I think that history shows that April is traditionally Hoffman's worst month (57 career saves, 30 fewer than any other month). The team likes his velocity, which is said to be higher than it was last season. I think the elbow surgery that he had at the end of last season isn't an issue, and, if anything, has allowed him to throw pain-free. I think if Hoffman is still having these struggles a month from now it might be an issue, but for now, well, it's still April.

I can't recall the name of the player, but the "prize" of the Scott Linebrink deal, how is he coming along and when should we expect to see him? Joe Thatcher seems pretty solid considering he was not the focal point of the trade. Now, what can we expect of the prize of the trade?
    -- Twon D., San Diego

Good question, Twon. I would have to say that at the time of the trade last July, that left-handed pitcher Will Inman would have been the "prize" of the trade, if you will. But that might have changed as right-hander Steve Garrison might have overtaken Inman on the imaginary prospect meter.

In fact, Garrison threw seven hitless innings on Saturday for Double-A San Antonio. Inman is off to a good start for the Missions as well. He's 2-0 and hasn't allowed a run in 10 innings. As for Garrison, he's 1-1 this season with a 2.25 ERA. I have to think both of these pitchers are still a year away from pitching for the Padres, who could have two vacancies in the rotation next season with Randy Wolf and Greg Maddux in the final year of their current deals.

As a Portland native I have been watching some of the Triple-A Beavers games and have really taken a liking to some of the really soon-to-be Padres-type prospects, like Josh Geer, Chase Headley, Matt Antonelli and Will Venable, to name a few. Which of these players do you think will be in Portland all year and just how quick is a trip south to San Diego approaching for some of these guys?
    -- Ricardo C., Portland, Ore.

Hey, Ricardo, glad to take an e-mail from a guy with Pacific Northwest ties.

Have a question about the Padres?
    Corey BrockE-mail your query to MLB.com Padres beat reporter Corey Brock for possible inclusion in a future mailbag column. Letters may be edited for brevity, length and/or content.

I believe that there's a good chance that the core of those prospects in Portland, a group that includes pitcher Wade LeBlanc in addition to the names you mentioned, will be in Portland most of the season. I can see Headley making it to San Diego at some point because he nearly made the team coming out of Spring Training.

But there's no place for Antonelli in San Diego with Tadahito Iguchi off to a good start at second base. The same goes for Greer and Venable. They're better off playing every day, and in the case of Geer and LeBlanc, better off pitching every fifth day. I know the Padres are excited about what the future holds for these guys.

What is the over-under on Khalil Greene breaking 30 walks this season? He already has one this season. The rest of his game is super.
    -- Frank M., Las Vegas

Tough call, Frank, as Greene has topped 30 walks twice in the last three seasons. He had 32 last year in a career-high 153 games. I think he'll get more than 30 walks in 2008, though I'm not so sure it's going to help him any.

We've seen a big enough sample size with Greene now to know that he likes to get his hacks in, which means that he's going to strike out a lot. But Greene also will generate the kind of power and the run production not seen by many shortstops, with a strong defensive game to boot. What's more important at the end of the day?

Do you think the Padres should look into trying to run more on the basepaths? They lead the Major Leagues in singles, and that stat means nothing if you're not cashing in on those opportunities. I know we don't have great team speed, but if we tried to run more early in the game or even tried more hit-and-runs, I think we could start scoring more runs. What's your opinion?
    -- Justin M., Henderson, Nev.

You're right, the Padres don't have an abundance of team speed, which will always limit the potential for stolen bases.

Callix Crabbe has some wheels, and you can expect him to see action late in games as a pinch-runner, but that won't amount to many stolen bases.

I still think there's a way to be successful on the bases without stealing bases, and that's being aggressive, going from first to third base on a single, taking hard, aggressive turns around the bag and getting good jumps. This was an area of emphasis in Spring Training and remains so now.

"We do not have overall a lot of team speed or upper-echelon base stealers, but we are capable of running the bases well and aggressively; like if we need to go the extra base, we'll do that," Padres manager Bud Black said.

Well, there ya go. I'm giving Trevor a pass until May

and

I didn't know we had a AA team in San Antone.

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    go pads

:icon_toast::icon_toast::icon_toast::icon_toast:

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Wolf throws 6 2/3 hitless at Rockies

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080415&content_id=2531264&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

SAN DIEGO -- While Randy Wolf was essentially assured last September that surgery on his left shoulder would be routine, he understood that the rehabilitation that would follow would be anything but ordinary.

"Even when they say that the surgery went well ... there is still the rehab process to make sure you do the right things, make sure you do not go too fast, all very important things," Wolf said Tuesday. "Of course there's a little question over your head."

Maybe not any longer, though, as the left-hander not only picked up his first victory with the Padres but did so convincingly, taming the Colorado Rockies for 6 2/3 no-hit innings in a 6-0 victory by the Padres before a crowd of 24,439 at PETCO Park.

Wolf (1-0), who hadn't won a game since last June 28 when he was a member of the Los Angeles Dodgers, struck out nine with a fastball that gained more height than velocity in the strike zone and an assortment of breaking pitches the Rockies could not hit.

Wolf's bid for a no-hitter officially ended with two outs in the seventh inning, when Brad Hawpe lined a single up the middle, though as manager Bud Black would say afterward that Wolf, who threw 112 pitches thanks in large part to the strikeouts and his four walks, was finished after the inning anyway.

"I don't think the decision was mine," Wolf said of whether he wanted to remain in the game. "Bud made a good point, it's a long year."

Maybe not for the Padres when it comes to the fourth spot in their rotation, as they used several pitchers in that spot a year ago, especially after the team released veteran David Wells in August.

But Wolf looks it a nice fit behind Jake Peavy, Chris Young and Greg Maddux, even if the Rockies (5-8) weren't quite willing to gush over his performance.

"Not to take anything away from him -- he made his pitches -- but the next time we face him I think we'll have a better game plan of how to face him," said Rockies left fielder Matt Holliday, who struck out twice against Wolf.

"The first time you face a guy in a long time, you're not going to feel real comfortable as far as what his pitches are doing and how he's doing it."

Wolf had pitched well in each of his first two starts for the Padres, allowing three runs in 12 innings, though he was left with a no-decision in each start because the offense didn't score more than three runs in each outing.

So that the Padres had all of three hits over the first four innings and few opportunities to score was probably not too surprising, especially considering the pitcher they were facing in 23-year-old Ubaldo Jimenez.

Jimenez, who was clocked at 98 mph on several occasions Tuesday with a nasty slider to boot, looked more refined than when the Padres last saw him on Aug. 15 of last season when he allowed one hit over six innings with nine strikeouts.

In fact, Jimenez was cruising along entering the fifth inning. He had thrown 54 pitches to that point with three strikeouts and a double-play ball in the third inning. There wasn't a whole lot of solid contact, either, though that changed in the fifth inning.

Jimenez walked Khalil Greene to start the inning before striking out Scott Hairston. Josh Bard then walked to bring up Wolf. And Wolf responded -- sort of.

Wolf laid a bunt down the third-base line that Jimenez fielded cleanly, though he rushed his throw to first base. The throw barely pulled second baseman Jayson Nix off the bag, just enough so that Wolf was safe. That loaded the bases for Brian Giles.

"It was great to get one fair ... he [Jimenez] was throwing 108," Wolf quipped.

Seeing that Jimenez was in a bind, Giles jumped all over a 2-0 fastball, lining it midway up the scoreboard in right field to score two runs. Three batters later, Kevin Kouzmanoff lined a two-run double of his own inside the first-base bag to make it 4-0.

Jim Edmonds followed with another two-run double to culminate a nine-pitch at-bat, as the Padres increased their lead to 6-0. That was enough for Jimenez, who tossed 48 pitches in the inning alone, or six fewer than he had through the first four innings.

"You try to sit on a pitch and drive it anytime you have runners in scoring position," said Giles, who missed the last two games with a mild strain of his left oblique. "We made [Jimenez] work. That was a nice inning for us."

And, to be sure, a nice cushion for Wolf, who had at least one strikeout in each of his first six innings. He walked three batters over the first two innings but settled down thereafter and impressed his manager in the process.

"He had to work a little hard those first three innings," Black said. "He had a good, live fastball tonight at the top of the strike zone, mixed in a few hooks and a few changeups. That's a pretty good lineup.

"Part of Randy's strength as a pitcher is he pitches high, low, in and out. He's not a guy who has to pitch down in the strike zone."

No, he's just a guy who needs to pitch. Wolf admitted last weekend in his hometown of Los Angeles that he was somewhat remorseful that he wasn't healthy in the second half of the season. He made his last start on July 3. Two months and two days later, he had surgery to clean up minor fraying of the labrum in his shoulder.

The Dodgers opted to buy him out of his option for this season, rendering him a free agent. The Padres swooped in and signed the 31-year-old to a one-year deal that, as for early returns, looks to be a smart move.

"It feels great," Wolf said afterwards. "When you throw well, you're doing your job."

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Germano gives Padres what they need

SAN DIEGO -- The Padres couldn't ask much more out of their No. 5 starter, right-hander Justin Germano.

Well, maybe a couple of victories for Germano, though the fact that he is still winless is hardly his fault.

Germano, who gets the start Wednesday against the Rockies at PETCO Park, hasn't allowed a run this season in 13 innings.

The Padres have backed him with just one run in those starts.

Germano's last start last Wednesday in San Francisco was one of the best in his Major League career, as he tied his career-high with seven shutout innings in what eventually became a 1-0 loss to the Giants.

He was thrifty, needing 83 pitches to get through the seventh. All told, Germano walked just one batter and had three strikeouts, spotting his fastball for strikes while mixing in his big curveball and his changeup.

"It's a big part of the game, staying consistent and executing pitches," Germano said. "I'm confident in all my pitches."

Pitching matchup
    SD: RHP Justin Germano (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
    Germano walked just one batter and had three strikeouts in his last start against the Giants. Germano threw just five pitches in the fourth inning and eight in the sixth inning, getting the Giants out in front of his developing changeup and his curveball.

COL: LHP Mark Redman (1-1, 5.06 ERA)
    After having uncharacteristic wildness in his first start of the season, on April 4 against the Diamondbacks, Redman held the Braves to three runs (two earned) in five innings while winning last Wednesday night at Coors Field. Since joining the Rockies late last season, Redman is 3-1 with a 3.86 ERA in seven games (five starts). After not having his changeup in the game with the Diamondbacks, Redman mixed that pitch with his fastball and worked both sides of the plate against the Braves. A San Diego-area native (Escondido High School), Redman is 0-0 with a 1.74 ERA in 10 1/3 innings, covering two games, at PETCO Park.

Tidbits
    San Diego right fielder Brian Giles returned to the starting lineup after missing the final two games of the weekend series against the Dodgers with what manager Bud Black called a "tweaked
    side." Giles suffered the injury diving back to third base in a game in San Francisco last week and also as he tried to check his swing Friday in Los Angeles. Giles had a single to center field in his first at-bat Tuesday and later added a two-run double. ... Catcher Michael Barrett, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list a week ago, will see a specialist in a week, Black said, to determined how his sprained right elbow is progressing. At that point, the Padres will know whether Barrett needs more time on the disabled list or if he can start throwing. ... Black said center fielder Jim Edmonds is still getting treatment on his strained right calf, though it won't keep him from the starting lineup. Edmonds, who ices the calf that he injured in March, entered Tuesday's game hitting .290.​

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The case for Chase: Headley sent down to work on strikeout ratio

7:31 p.m. April 19, 2008

The Padres opened themselves to criticism when they demoted Chase Headley to Triple-A late in spring training.

Headley had hit four home runs in the Cactus League, leading the Padres in slugging percentage. The Padres, perhaps more than any team with playoff aspirations, need better hitting. Entering yesterday's game, they ranked near the bottom in runs, in slugging percentage, on-base percentage and home runs.

Was Headley less capable than Paul McAnulty or Jody Gerut, outfielders who were kept on the Opening Day roster?

General Manager Kevin Towers said Headley's demotion wasn't financially driven, referring to a common practice of stashing prospects in the minors until late May or later so that they don't gain potentially lucractive work-service time. Rather, Towers said Headley needed more time in left field, where the former third baseman never had played as a professional until two months ago.

The last thing the Padres wanted to do was publicly point out offensive deficiencies in Headley, their organizational Player of the Year in 2007, but his strikeouts were of some concern. He had whiffed once every 3.8 at-bats in an otherwise fabulous season in Double-A. Late in spring training, when pitchers began mixing in more offspeed pitches early in the count, Headley struck out more often.

The Padres also envisioned a worst-case scenario: Headley bungles a few flyballs in early April and flops as a hitter at chilly, pitcher-friendly Petco Park, where Adrian Gonzalez, their most talented hitter, has batted .200 with nine strikeouts in 35 at-bats this month.

At that point, what would a demotion to do Headley's psyche?

A better scenario, described by Towers, would be for Headley to get more comfortable in left and return to the Padres, perhaps as early as May.

Headley, who has batted .259 in 13 games, got off to a slow start with Triple-A Portland. But in six games entering yesterday, he was 9-for-27 with three doubles, a home run and four walks. At Portland's ballpark, which is far less hitter friendly than many Pacific Coast League venues, Headley has batted .185 with nine strikeouts in 27 at-bats.

Triple-A

In late March, the Padres declined to trade left-hander Wade LeBlanc to the Cubs for outfielder Matt Murton, a player the Padres have watched for two years. LeBlanc, also sought by the Cubs last season in the Michael Barrett deal, is 2-0 with a 4.50 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 16 innings; in two road outings, he is 1-0 with a 6.30 ERA in 10 innings.

Double-A

Padres CEO Sandy Alderson said last summer that the club's trade of Scott Linebrink -- an unpopular move with Padres players -- would improve both the major league club and the farm system. He was correct. Left-handed reliever Joe Thatcher, recommended by Alderson aide Paul DePodesta, outperformed Linebrink down the stretch for the Padres. Two other minor league pitchers acquired in the trade, Wil Inman and Steve Garrison, are off to solid starts. Garrison is 2-1 with a 1.59 ERA for San Antonio.

Single-A

In a 10-game stretch, Lake Elsinore second baseman Eric Sogard reached base 25 times. He had a .500 on-base percentage after 16 games, batting better than .370 against both right-handers and lefties. Sogard probably will move Reynar Contreras, a second baseman, to third once Contreras recovers from an ankle injury.

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The offense is offensive

OK, the season is only 17 games old ... so the sample is not big enough for a true projection.

But if the Padres carried their early season pace over an entire season, they would set franchise records for fewest homers -- 57 (the all-time low is 64 in 1976) and fewest stolen bases -- 38 (the all-time low is 45 in 1969) -- and most strikouts -- 1,315 (the record is 1,273 in 2001).

How can that be? No homers, not a lot of speed and a lot of strikeouts?

There are six ways to advance bases in baseball without the help of the opposition -- the single, the double, the triple, the home run, the walk and the stolen base.

Add up all these numbers for every team in the major leagues and you come to an uneasy conclusion about the Padres. They have accounted for fewer bases than any other team in the majors ... by a lot.

Arizona, for example, is averaging almost eight bases a game more than the Padres.

In terms of major league rankings, the Padres are last in home runs (the most recent of the six was hit by Adrian Gonzalez back on April 7), runs scored (50) and extra-base hits (30) and near the bottom in walks (51) and steals (4).

But the Padres do lead in strikeouts -- 8.11 per game.

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Huber's first homer propels Padres

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080420&content_id=2559066&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

PHOENIX -- Chances are Justin Huber won't romanticize tales of his first Major League home run when he gets around to returning to his native Australia, but not because he didn't think it was an important hit for himself and the Padres on Sunday.

"It's pretty special ... but I don't see myself telling stories about it in 10 or 20 years," Huber said. "No one [in Australia] knows who Randy Johnson is."

The news of Huber's three-run home run off Johnson, the key blow in the Padres' 9-4 victory over the Diamondbacks on Sunday, might not merit headlines in Huber's native country, though it was certainly embraced inside his own clubhouse.

For starters, the home run off Johnson was the pivotal hit in a five-run sixth inning at Chase Field, which had essentially been the Padres' not-so-little house of horrors this weekend, as San Diego (9-10) lost the previous two contests here by a combined score of 19-3.

It wasn't just Huber's hitting that allowed the Padres to snap their four-game losing skid, but also Randy Wolf's strong pitching and fine relief work by Cla Meredith, Heath Bell and Glendon Rusch.

But Huber's first home run was clearly the highlight of the game for the Padres and a welcome sight for a team that had gone 106 innings without a home run until they hit two on Saturday.

"We think there's a home run in our lineup," Padres manager Bud Black said.

He just might not have thought Huber would have been the one to hit one off Johnson (0-1), who allowed six runs (four earned) on six hits with three walks in 5 2/3 innings.

Huber, who was in the starting lineup in left field Sunday because the Diamondbacks had the left-handed Johnson on the mound, entered the game with seven at-bats in the first 18 games of the season, the fewest among all San Diego position players. Even pitcher Jake Peavy had more at-bats (nine).

"Randy can be a little tough on left-handed hitters," Black said. "We felt today was a good day to go with as much right-handed hitting as possible. That's what Justin is here for, to get some at-bats off left-handed pitching."

Huber, who had a single in the eighth inning, was just one of two new faces in the lineup Sunday. Callix Crabbe, who hadn't started a Major League game prior to Friday, got his third start in as many days at a different position.

Crabbe was in right field, giving Brian Giles' right knee and oblique -- one old injury, the former somewhat new -- a day off against Johnson, as Giles had just three hits in 30 career at-bats against the tall left-hander.

Crabbe, who reached base three times, had a double in the pivotal five-run sixth inning and later reached on an error on a ball hit between shortstop and third base that allowed another run to score in the eighth inning.

"We've got to continue that on a regular basis to get to where we want to be," Black said of the Padres' struggles with getting big hits with runners in scoring position. "But that's a good sign to have some guys coming off our bench to contribute.

Wolf, who took a no-hitter into the seventh inning of his last start against Colorado, gave up a double to Conor Jackson in the second inning Sunday, essentially removing the drama that he might be up to the task for an encore performance.

Wolf allowed a run in that second inning on a sacrifice fly by Chris Burke but very little else, as he didn't allow another hit until the fourth inning when Jackson lined a single to center. The Diamondbacks had just the two hits until the seventh inning when they chased Wolf, who allowed three runs in the inning.

"My fastball location was good, the changeup was good. I still think my stuff was good in the seventh," said Wolf, who would have rather talked about the Padres' hitting on Sunday instead of his pitching. "On Friday [Wolf's next start against the Diamondbacks] I might throw Conor underhand."

Jackson tormented the Padres all weekend, going 8-for-14 with four extra-base hits and four RBIs.

Jackson had a single and scored on Mark Reynolds' RBI double inside the third-base bag in the seventh. After Wolf walked Burke, Robby Hammock lined an RBI double to left-center. Wolf got his only out of the inning with a strikeout of pinch-hitter Micah Owings before departing the game in favor of Meredith.

"He mixed it up a little bit better today. He pitched in and out with his fastball, pitched up and down with it," Arizona manager Bob Melvin said of Wolf. "Once he got ahead, he had a better changeup than what we had seen in the past. He's been pitching well for them."

All told, Wolf allowed six hits with one walk over 6 1/3 innings. He had seven strikeouts.

Meredith, faced with a second-and-third situation, got two ground balls to second base as one run scored, though preserved the lead.

"I kept the team in the game early," Wolf said. "But the story was our hitting."

16. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Should just call Chase and get his share of play while this season is pretty much done.

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

yup. or trade for a bat or two

18. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    we aint got balls to make a big trade. We are gunna stay weak on offense.

19. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    where are all you so called fans? Probably watching trev blow another lead!!! Bengie Molina??? Lmao!!!! Trevs done!

20. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I don’t think it is funny, but I agree, Trevor has got to be down graded. We can’t keep blowing leads with the Diamondbacks playing so strong. Trevor is losing his edge, and we must make an adjustment now. Who is the next closer???? Bell????

It is early in the season, but before you know it we will be too far back to recover. No bats, so we must have pitching.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    I feel bad for Maddux. Pitches an awesome game only to have "hells cowbells" blow the save again. :icon_sad:

22. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    You have to be kiddin me HOFFMAN!!....How long is Bud going to let this keep going?:no: We need bats and we need a closer. The DBACK's are going to be extremely difficult to catch soon.

23. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

pissed off. see the F*** YOU thread

:icon_eek:

:lol:

24. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Molina did hit a pretty good pitch but yeah a blown save against the hapless Giants? :unsure:

25. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    6 runs in 62 innings at home.....horrible.

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    can we finish the Edmonds experiment?

Call up Headley

:icon_shrug:

27. Greeney03

Greeney03 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3

Headley is struggling right now in AAA I don't think he can help the Padres score more runs.

Can we kidnap Jack Cust from A's? :)

28. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Sign Barry and Kenny...atleast it will give us something to watch.

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    we might not score 200 runs this year

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

30. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    20 games out in June.