1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres acquire Milton Bradley

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, Jun 28, 2007.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    So, we prolly won't be seeing you post much more about the Pads??

The Pads haven't given up, but many of the"fans" have.

2. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I'm not sure what your post is supposed to mean. I have been following the Pads since I went to my first game as a little kid in 1971. I have always rooted for them and always will. But I'm not a blind homer either. The Pads have fallen into 3rd place and have a 1 game winning streak. I haven't given up, but I have low expectations about the teams chances. The moves in the past couple of days haven't exactly done monstrous improvements to the offense. Wells still looks more and more like an old man each time out. CY is hurt. Marcus Giles looks lost at the plate. They will eventually snap out of their skid but I don't think their offense is world series worthy and that is what is frustrating, because the staff could be.

3. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Guess I got a little hasty on that mammoth winning streak...

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Baseball seasons are full of ups and downs, nothing's as definite as some of the doubters like to make it out to be durring the down periods.

5. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    You are correct. It's also true that teams approaching the trading deadline that are in contention sometimes makes moves that upgrade their rosters to address glaring holes. Which of the moves we made fits that role for you? We were assured once more by KT and Sandy Alderson that the team had plenty of money available to upgrade the roster and this is what we get? Sorry if I'm not impressed.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Well, the Padres did trade for a guy who has hit .333 BA, .429 OBP, .611 SLG (1.040 OPS), 4 HRs, and 10 RBIs since his acquisition less than a month ago.

This guy also happens to play the position that was, at the time, their biggest "glaring" hole.

I mean, is it not good enough for you because he wasn't a superstar player that everyone on ESPN was talking about? And/or because it didn't require them to spend much of that money that was made mention of? Because he appears to be getting the job done.

It's just a shame that everyone else who was previously doing great (ie, the starters, bullpen, Adrian Gonzalez) suddenly started faltering at the same time.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    And, for the record, I'm in no way implying that they shouldn't trade for, say, Mark Loretta if they can.

But it's kind of silly to throw out accusations that insinuate that they have no desire to improve the team and fix the "holes" around the trade deadline....in a thread about the acquisition of the guy who's been their biggest offensive help since they traded for him no less...

8. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Yes the Padres did acquire the talented, but often injured powder keg in Bradley. And so far, he has done a great job in left. I pray he doesn't get hurt or blow up, as his track record suggests he will.

The problem is that this team has a ton of needs.

Kouzmanoff is not the answer at third base (though he may eventually be) and it was a huge gamble to think he was ready.

Marcus Giles struggled last year and I'm not sure how big a surprise it is the see him struggle worse in a tougher park to hit in than where he was.

The catching situation is weak. They traded for Barrett and has been a total and complete bust since getting here. Bard hasn't proven he can be a starting catcher in this league.

Khalil Green is showing the same lack of discipline and low OBP with some occasional power that he shown the past few years - can't be surprised here either.

Even Brian Giles, despite the raves about his high OBP since returning from the DL, is taking up 1/6th of our entire payroll to be a singles hitter. We need much more run production from him than we are getting.

Yes, the slump will eventually end. It's just frustrating to see so many predictable things happen and then not do a hell of a lot to fix them. The pitching has been better than most people thought it would be, but Wells is pitching like a man his age and now CY is on the DL. What was the strength of the team is now cracking. The fact that the team payroll is around $10 million less than last season while the team has holes makes it all the more demoralizing.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I pointed to him because you insinuated they didn't want to improve the team....they have improved the hole in left field, and thus far rather immensely.

Everyone they can acquire can possibly fail....which is why they shouldn't blow the farm for one guy.

If you truly believe this what do you suggest they do? Replace everyone on the roster? If they truly have a "ton of needs" how do you propose they fix all of them?

All points aside in regards to Kouz's good performance from May on, this may or may not be true....but we are discussing what should be done at the deadline here and replacing Kouz at third base with what would be rather foolish considering the long term ramifications and bigger holes elsewhere.

Again, I thought we were discussing mid season trade deadline moves here and what should be done.

You seem to be wording this in a way as to question why they made moves at the beginning of the season.

Marcus was good for a month and a half, but then has sucked since.

I agree, they should replace him. (If that's what you were getting at.)

I don't know if I'd go as far as to call Barrett a bust, but yeah he hasn't been all that great either.

The fact that they made a move for him, though, shows that they agree with you about Bard.

Who do you say they should have traded for instead?

And I don't think anyone is, but do you think they should replace him?

This debate started because you made the usual accusations that they don't want to improve the team, so what do you suggest they do here? Replace the team leader in home runs and take away their best defensive infielder because he's a little inconsistent?

While I agree that he is overpaid, Brian Giles' contribution to this team is more than adequate since his return from the DL.

You wouldn't have this misguided opinion of him if he 1) Didn't used to be a monstrous power hitter and 2) Wasn't paid 10 mil per.

Remove those two aspects from the equation and simply look at his production and then get back to me as to how much he's helping the team.

Brian Giles is not an issue, move on.

This is the problem I have.

Accusations of "not doing anything to fix them" are thrown out without suggestions of what they can do to fix them.

Because if there isn't something realistic that they can do what's the point of calling for their heads for not doing something that can't be done?

Do you want them to blow the entire farm system to replace everyone of the guys you mentioned above?

And, if so, who do you expect them to replace them with? Other team's GMs aren't exactly lining up at the bit to see what they can do to improve the San Diego Padres.

What does it matter what the payroll is? Unless you can tell me who is available for them to spend that 10 mil on it seems rather pointless and misguided to complain about it.

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The A's could REALLY use that kind of production right now. It's hard for me to complain about Billy Beane but sometimes he leaves me scratching my head. I really liked Milton and thought he wa a good fit in Oakland. He's one guy that when he's at the plate there's a pretty good chance he's going to hit the ball hard and that puts pressure on the pitcher and defense.

11. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I didn't realize I was the GM responsible for fixing things. I listed the players above struggling, not to say the entire roster should be dumped, but to point out all of these players and positions had issues at the start of the season and it is not a surprise to see the results. It was very predictable. If one or two of them were upgraded, the team would be much better off.

Where did I call for anyone's head?

What I don't like is having Alderson and Towers tell us fans that there is money available and either not be willing to take on salary, or able to make a trade because outside of our pitching we have little of interest to other teams. We were told at the end of last season that the team the most money to spend that KT ever had since arriving with the team and yet they were not willing to sign even one front line free agent.

What appears to be really hampering our ability to make a trade is that our upper farm system is devoid of talent that other teams want. Tell me again who has been the GM for the last decade responsible for who is in AAA right now?

Why would other GMs try and help us? It's up to a GM to improve his team. Towers has holes that he can't figure out how to improve on.

The payroll matters a great deal. If the Padres had signed a legitimate bat in the offseason instead of sitting on the money, the team would be better off, right? Instead, they were not willing to pay the going market rate for free agents and settled for 40 something year old pitchers, journeymen outfielders, and a second baseman whose numbers were already in decline. Why do they keep telling us that money is not a problem?

I think you are missing the entire point of my complaining. I didn't like the every day lineup at the start of the season and, unfortunately, they have been even worse than I thought (though the pitching has been better than I thought). Without some offense, here is yet another year wasted. If we got one true, big stick, we would greatly increase our chances of doing something this year. We might slip by the Dodgers and D'Backs and win the division but we don't have a roster that will not be one and done in the playoffs.

A team doesn't get many opportunities to do something and I'd hate to see this one slip away. I have been a fan for 30+ years and haven't had many good teams to root for. I won't even try to scour other teams rosters to look for the many players who could improve our every day lineup. That isn't my job, it's Towers job. This is his roster. People can blindly accept whatever they throw out on the field or can express their unhappiness with possibly blowing a golden opportunity.

Anyway, this topic has run it's course. I am a fan, despite the complaining ,and hope like hell everyone snaps out of it and hits like crazy. But I don't think they will.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    But you started this debate by insinuating that Towers wasn't doing anything to improve the team, and then scoffed at my response when I pointed at how well Bradley's doing. (Who added a few more RBIs to his Padres tenure today)

True, I jumped the gun there.

Just because they have the money to spend doesn't mean they're going to spend it.

Priorities, man. Do you want them to spend money or do you want them to improve the team?

They vastly improved left field. I hope they do the same for 2nd base. I don't care if it costs them all 10 mil or if it costs them a stick of bubble gum, as long as they improve it.

A fix at the #5 spot in the rotation would be nice as well. (That's a knock on Germano, not Wells)

And that's exactly why he's no longer in charge of the draft....and hasn't been since 2004.

Our low minor leagues are receiving rave revues.....rosters filled with guys Grady Fuson and Sandy Alderson drafted.

Coincidence?

My point exactly.

It's easy to run around and say "TOWERS ISN'T DOING ANYTHING TO FIX THE TEAM!" but he needs to get other GMs to agree to deals in order to do this.....so, tell me, what reasonable deals are out there that Towers isn't making?

Perhaps that's because the market rate was way overpriced and would cripple the Padres' ability to put money where they really need to.....the farm system so that they can grow their own talent that doesn't cost 200 mil per year. (obvious exaggeration.)

Like it or not (and I don't like it any more than you do) San Diego is a mid market town at best...closer to small market.

I know that's a four letter word to most Padres fans, but facts are facts and they can only spend so much.

Sure they probably could have blown some more money on one player and hopefully lured him away from the ubber extravagant contract given elsewhere....but what happens if the guy gets injured? Or if he fails to produce? Where does that leave the Padres?

Can you say Ryan Klesko/Phil Nevin? (They were worth their contracts at the time they were made....a fact a lot of fans tend to forget.)

Brian Giles was the top free agent at his position when he was resigned by the Padres at 10 mil per...and now here we are today agreeing that he's vastly overpaid.

First of all, if a team makes the playoffs they have every good a shot at winning it all as anyone else in it. The Cardinals proved that last year.

2ndly, the NL West has arguably 2 or 3 of the best teams the NL has to offer. It strictly boggles my mind why people can believe the Padres have a legit shot of winning the division playing the Diamondbacks and Dodgers more than other teams play them, but think it's an automatic "one and done" once they get to the playoffs and play some weaker team from another division. (Yes, I said weaker....look at how the NL teams are playing this year.)

I'm in no way saying that they'd waltz through the playoffs or that it'd even be easy....in fact, I'd call you out just as much if you said that.

I'm simply counter arguing the insinuation that it's somehow a given that they'll get swept if they don't make that "big splash"

Lastly (on this point) if the team is in as dire straights as you make them out to be, there isn't one guy out there they can acquire that'd suddenly make them a World Series team.

That doesn't mean they should blow any shot of doing anything in future years just to increase their chance this year.

And I have been a fan for 20+ years, what's your point? I've been rooting for the same losing more often than not team you have.

That's fine and dandy, just keep in mind that you are the one admittedly being blind here as you accuse him of not caring about improving the team and not doing it.

I'm not blindly accepting anything.

In fact, it is you the one who just said you refuse to look at anything or to make any sort of attempt to assertain whether or not your complaints are valid.

It is you who wants to blindly berate Kevin Towers for not doing something you, by your own admission, don't even know is feasible or not.

And I hope you don't think that I, for one second, doubted whether or not you are a fan.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Still don't think Milton Bradley's a good enough pick up Rich?

14. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Uncle Milty just hit a 2-out, 2-run, game-tieing BOMB to the porch in the bottom of the 9th!

Pimpin Aint Easy!

Hoffy pitched the top of the 10th, Snakes got nuthin.

Bottom 10th now...

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I think the Diamond Backs are ruing it right now.

16. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    word:yes:

17. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Bradley continues to play good and has avoided melting down or getting hurt...yet.

Let's see how the other "upgrades" by KT did tonight:

How did our new bench stud Mackowiak do? 0-1 with a K as a pinch hitter

What about that former All Star Ensberg? 0-1 with a K as a pinch hitter

How about the super-sub Hairston who was brought in after Giles got hurt? 0-3 with 3 Ks, including taking a called 3rd strike to end the game

What about the big upgrade we made at catcher? Barrett - 0-5 with 2 ks. A little research shows this offensive machine to have an OBP, the sacred number of Sandy and his money ball cronies of a staggering .236 in 89 at bats since joining the team.

KT is right, that bench is just sooo much stronger now.

Yes, I'm being a smart *** but this team is in big trouble.

Here is why I am worried:

Brian Giles is now hurt.

Wells gets rocked for the 3rd straight time and now has an ERA of 5.18.

Teams know how to hit Germano the second time around and he appears to have no answer for it as he has lost 5 out of his last 6 starts.

CY is on the DL and his replacement Stauffer got rocked in his one start before getting shipped back out.

The bullpen is now collapsing under the strain. Guess we can't blame Linebrink for all of the troubles any more. I can't wait to hear how Towers spins that Thatcher plus 2 other young pitchers for Linebrink helped the team this year (since we sent him to the minors).

We are still getting no production out of the bench. I do think that with all the new guys on board, someone has to be better than Sledge and Cruz did, but that won't take much.

We make a scapegoat of our hitting coach - again. It's funny that last year we did the same thing to Magadan and he is now the coach of Boston, who has the 2nd leading OBP in the league. It's amazing how much better of a coach he became since he now has good players to tutor.

Guys like Greene, Giles, Kouzmanoff, and even Gonzalez the past couple of months are struggling and showing no sign of coming out of it.

The team's stars are now publicly questioning the moves of the front office and are not happy. Yes they should be pros and not whine with the amount of money they get paid, but it sure looks our team chemistry has taken a severe blow.

I don't know guys...I'm trying to "keep the faith" but the team gives me little reason to be optimistic.

18. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Ouch... :eek:

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    So it's ok to blow off Milton's performance thus far over the span of a month because there's always that "chance" he might get hurt and/or blow up in the clubhouse, but we're allowed to close the book on how all the other guys will help the team after one game? (Not counting Barrett, of course)

Nice way of twisting things to fit your argument.

I'm in full agreement of all this, and it worries me just as much.

You'll have to keep waiting because you'll never hear it. In fact, if you were to ask him straight up how it helped us this year he'll tell you it didn't...and he didn't intend for it to do so.

He will tell you that he was trying to get all the value out of a middle relief pitcher on a downward spiral that he could.

Of course, I'm still waiting for you to tell me who he could've gotten for him that would've helped us this year....but I realize that's also something that will have to wait till eternity for.

One game, man, one game.... :unsure:

I'm sure Merv Rettemund would've done just the same in Boston.

I'm sure Magadan would've "sucked" just as much this year.

I'm sure the above sentiment was your point, but hitting coaches at the major league level are vastly overrated, not worth taking the time to complain about this one way or another, really.

Agreed....which is why blowing the entire farm on one guy wouldn't have amounted to much.

That's not the fault of Kevin Towers. If they don't understand how the business they get paid to perform in works then they need to wake up.

People get laid off anywhere you work, it's life. Live with it and move on.

If they can't handle someone being cut because he's underperforming to the point of it affecting their play then they need to get the **** off this team and make room for someone who will try to win no matter who's sitting in the dugout watching him play.

To be quite honest, I'm having a hard time trying to be optimistic right now as well.

I was really just excited at the game tying home run and using it as another example of how huge Milton Bradley has been for this team despite everything.

What Milton has done for this team is exactly what everyone would expect that proverbial "big bat" to do for us....and look how far it's gotten us in the bottom line (the win/loss column.)

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Scoring Plays
    2nd Morgan Ensberg (9) 2 run shot to left center off Petit, Gonzalez scored.

21. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    It was as predictable as the sun coming up! Talk a little trash and have the player come back and do something...

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    keep it up :D

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Morgan Ensberg (10) 2 run shot to left center off Nippert, Bard scored.

:lol:

24. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Good Lord! Anyone else you want me to trash to break out of their slump?

25. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Brian Giles :icon_tease:

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Marcus Giles

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    :D

8th Scott Hairston (4) 3 run shot to left center off Chulk, Blum, Mackowiak scored.
    10th Scott Hairston (5) solo shot to left center off Taschner.

28. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    This is almost funny.

29. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Keep up the good work, Rich. :tup:

30. HollywoodLeo