1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres acquire Milton Bradley

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, Jun 28, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    I think that there must be some kind of medium ground between the old school you grew up with which most young fans still respect and being a schmuck and showing off.

I think a little showboating or celebrating is fine, sometimes its just deserved and its human nature. Its when you push it way over the line but unfortunately there's no bright line rule.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Let me be clear that if I had to choose between a guy who does it with class and a guy who likes to showboat....I'll choose the former 7 times a week and twice on Sunday.

The problem is....you don't always have that choice, and when it's either the Padres offense prior to Bradley and his occasional unsportsmanlike behavior and the offense with him and the whole package.....I'll choose the latter 7 times a week and 3 times on Sunday.

I like a guy to do it with class and humbleness....but you can't always have that. And, in the end, I much prefer a guy who's going to help the team win over a guy who's a nice guy but can't hit worth ****.

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    And that's the bottom line; everything else is reduced to blah, blah, blah.

4. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Absolutely. I love the guy but hate the lights out dance. I was very glad to see him say he is giving it up this year.

I agree with everything people say about him bringing a much needed spark to the team. I don't mind emotional, fiery guys. But I think razzing fans has nothing to do with being emotional.

As long as he can stay healthy he is obviously the spark this team needs.

5. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I love his swagger and confidence. He puts it all out on the line. In most cases his temper flareups don't bother. Especially when he snapped the bat tonight. badass.

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Padres are in first place once again

8. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Shizznit!

Bradley leaves in loss to Rockies

09/08/2007 3:23 AM ET By Corey Brock / MLB.com

DENVER -- The Padres certainly wouldn't be the first team to peg Coors Field as a house of horrors, although their basis for distress in 2007 has very little to do with the rapid rate that runs can accumulate here.

Rocky Mountain high? For the Padres in Denver, it has been more of a disheartening low.

The latest chapter of the Padres' misery was written here on Friday, in front of a crowd of 27,247, as outfielder Milton Bradley left in the seventh inning of a 10-4 loss to the Rockies with what was termed a slight (right) oblique strain.

Bradley, who wasn't available for comment, was to be examined late Friday night, manager Bud Black said after the game.
    It was not two months ago when All-Star pitcher Chris Young left a start on July 24 at Coors Field with a strained oblique muscle that led to tightness in his lower back. Young missed three starts and has not won since, as he continues to round back into his first-half form.

Now the Padres -- who fell two games back of the Diamondbacks in the National League West Division -- face the prospect of Bradley not being available to anchor their offense, which has been markedly better since he returned from a hamstring injury that sidelined for 15 games in August. The Padres were 8-7 during that stretch.

"Obviously, the guy's passion and intensity will be missed however long that he is out," Padres second baseman Geoff Blum said. "When he walks up to the plate ... you know something good can happen."

Bradley left the game after losing the grip on his bat after fouling off a pitch during the seventh inning against the Rockies (73-67). He stepped away from the batter's box and clutched his right side before he was tended to by trainer Todd Hutcheson and Black.

Bradley actually suffered a left oblique strain when he was with the Oakland A's earlier this season and had a potential trade to the Royals nixed because he didn't pass a physical due to the injury.

"We'll see how it sets up tomorrow," Black said when asked about Bradley. "But you're always concerned. You never know the severity of the strain. Anytime you have to take a player out of the game, you're worried."

The Padres (76-64), who have dropped their last three games, simply aren't the same, statistically, when Bradley is not in the game.

Before Friday's loss, the Padres were 10-5 in games that Bradley has started. It's not just his offensive contribution that has buoyed the Padres, but that he has been the No. 3 hitter they've been looking for, thus taking pressure off other hitters in the lineup.
    San Diego found itself digging out of a hole for most of Friday's game, as pitcher Justin Germano (7-9) struggled with the grip on his pitches early that led to him missing high and outside and just about everywhere else.

"I couldn't find the grip on anything," said Germano, who allowed five earned runs over three innings, his shortest start of the season. "The balls were dry ... some were slipping out of my hand. I didn't know what the ball was going to do."

Colorado's Kazuo Matsui crushed a Germano fastball in the first inning with a runner on for a home run and a 2-0 lead. That lead then grew to 4-0 in the second inning when Troy Tulowitzki and Yorvit Torrealba drove in runs.

The Padres got a break of sorts in the third inning when Rockies' pitcher Elmer Dessens had to leave the game with one out in the inning as he strained his left hamstring after he walked Germano.
    Colorado reliever Mark Redman, who had his contract purchased earlier in the day from Triple-A Colorado Springs, ran in from the bullpen. But Redman was largely ineffective after getting Brian Giles on a fly ball.

Redman walked Mike Cameron and Bradley to load the bases before giving up a two-run single up the middle to Adrian Gonzalez that cut the Rockies lead to 4-2. But the Rockies came back with a run off Germano in the bottom of the inning.

The Padres got to the Rockies' bullpen again in the fourth inning. With two outs, Blum dumped a double into left field that a sliding Matt Holliday couldn't come up with.

Black went to his bench for rookie Bryan Myrow to hit for Germano. Myrow, the batting champion of the Pacific Coast League while playing for Triple-A Portland, lined a double into the right-field corner to score Blum for his first Major League RBI.
    Only the solid pitching of newly acquired reliever Brett Tomko -- who struck out three in three scoreless innings -- helped keep the Padres close until the Rockies scored five runs in the eighth inning off a trio of Padres relievers.

"It was nice," said Tomko, who threw 53 pitches. "I had a pretty good heater and I was effectively wild at times."
    All told, the Padres used six relievers, though that paled in comparison to the 10 pitchers the Rockies used, which tied a Major League record for a nine-inning game.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    his injury concerns worry more than his "attitude issues"

10. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    We all know how "slight" oblique strains can keep someone out for. It's just too bad the guy can't stay healthy. Since a lot of his injuries appear to be muscle related, I wonder if he should take up yoga or something to increase his flexibility.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    9th Scott Hairston (8) 3 run shot to left center off Capps, Clark, Kouzmanoff scored. Padres Win

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Your boy Milton finally made it back into the lineup. It's too bad he is so fragile. My latest target to rag on is Termel Sledge. How the hell can this guy still be on the roster? After tonights strikeout, he is batting a solid .204. Yikes.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I've never been a fan of Milton Bradley's health and I'm even less of a fan now that he's been injured three times.

But you can't deny that he's a tremendous help to the team whenever he's healthy.

I hope they don't try and bank on Milton being the everyday CFer next year, though.

14. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I agree. I'm not sure what they will do in center next year. I love Cameron, but he will be 35 in January and I'm not sure we can afford another Nevin or Klesko like contract with an aging player. I'd like to see Hairston in right, move Giles back to his natural LF and see if we can resign Cameron cheap (not likely).

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Speaks volumes.

16. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Yes it does, actually. If you want to watch the team with rose colored glasses and ignore or rationalize the issues with the roster, than that is your choice. But I can still be a fan, want the them to win, and be frustrated with some of the questionable front office moves.

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Be my guest, jes keep in mind your whiny posts are not immune from challenge.

18. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Padres are just about done.

19. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    As is your blind defense of any criticism.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    It was only a matter of time.

Although, from what I understand, the ump was out of line as well.

But a better man wouldn't have let it get to him that easily either.

Any rate, at least he helped keep us in it while he was healthy/behaving.

21. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    From everything I have heard, the umpire completely and totally crossed the line baiting Bradley. He should be the one suspended. I hope they let Bradley off with nothing - he doesn't appear to deserve it. What a bizarre way to blow out an ACL.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    It does say something that Meechem, not Bradley, was the first to get in the ump's face.

23. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Todd Helton was right there. If it is needed, I hope he comes forward to say what he saw and heard.

Meacham indicated the comments had racial undertones. Calling someone a "f***ing piece of s***" denotes no particular color. Perhaps we havent heard what all was said.

The SAME umpiring crew is supposed to work the series in Milwaukee that ends the Padre's season. Of course, Bradley will not be attendance.

Perhaps they wont start a fracas this time and will work it fairly.

24. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings:
    +25

yup:tdown:

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Eh. The Cardinals looked just about done this time last year.

We'll see what happens.

26. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Milton broke my heart. :( No matter what he has to control his emotions better than that.

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    He predicted it before spring training even started, 'course he also said they'd only compete for acuppola weeks then be done.

Still, I'm sure he's tickles pink that his prediction finally may be coming thru.

Uh...no, not yet.

28. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    So that makes me look good. The padres will not win while this team is patched up. They made a good run this year but only because the west is weak. I understand your high hopes for this team, but in reality they wont win a series ring until the pay for some talent. There farm system has no up and coming talent. And if they do get talented players, they end up trading them away. Brian Giles is gone, Mike Cameron is gone. That leaves our outfield with a buncha holes. Peavy wants out. We have no catcher that can throw out atleast 15% of the runners, hell not even 10%. Maddux probably will be gone. Good luck next year pads.

29. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Pads 6 giants 4
    Maybe I should talk more shiet about the team. Someone has to fire them up!!

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Please refrain from living in the past.

The west has 4 of 5 teams in playoff contention mid-to-late September.