1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres/Baseball Offseason

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Nov 18, 2006.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    I will enjoy the fact that when it does happen, it will open KT's eyes so he would be more productive in the offseason instead of settling on patching up this team. The only talent we have on this team is our pitching staff and a couple of position players. This isnt football. You need to be able to hit the ball to win. Defense cant score points. I dont see this team making any noise this year. Ive been a padre fan since 81' when we had gene richards, ruppert jones, juan bonilla..to alan wiggins, steve garvey, Kmac, TGwynn to the recent years. This will probably be one of the less talented teams in history. We are weak at C,2B,LF,3B. No sense in getting draft picks or bringing up minor leaguers when we just trade them for more picks. We never really let our players develop.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Your negativity speaks volume to what kinda "fan" you are. The pitchers and catchers don't even report til the end of February, and you're already condemning this team to the toilet swirl.

3. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Pretty much. This team will only compete for the title the first week of the season. How can you tell me you are confident about this team? Im embarassed to be a padre fan.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Then go be a fan of another team, quitter.

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Please Tboltz can you have just a little bit of faith in the Padres?:yes: :tup:

It is ok to be sceptical. Keep the faith. It is not as dire as the thoughts you have put down here.

I am not embarassed to be a Padres fan, not one bit.

Here is the IF word.
    If we are celar dwellers I am still going to be a fan reguardless of the teams record. They can be the first 0-162 team and I will still be rabid fan as I am.

It is all good.

Life is not all doom and gloom.

Remember the Chargers 1-15 season. Now look at us at 11-2. I was a rabid fan then and I am a rabid fan still today.:tup:

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I just love how he mentions Meche, Padilla and Lilly and their 10M+ contracts. Maddux seems like such a bargain now. He will deal at Petco and teach the kids his method. Those other knuckleheads are making more cash, are worse pitchers, and have nothing to offer our youngsters. Can you imagine Gil Meche trying to sit down with Jake Peavy between innings, explaining the art of pitching? The Maddux contract is ripe.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    at least maddux is actually WORTH that much money

if y'all checked the UT today there's a strong possibility Marcus Giles will just be released (i think its they're not tendering him arbitration :icon_shrug: )

Now! Get him!

9. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Braves decline to offer Giles a contract

Ken Rosenthal
    Posted: 1 hour ago

The Giles brothers, Marcus and Brian, could be teammates with the Padres before long.

The Braves have declined to offer a contract to Marcus, making the second baseman a free agent, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Padres are expected to pursue Marcus, who would become the team's regular second baseman, with Todd Walker moving to a utility role. Brian Giles is the Padres' right fielder.

Marcus Giles, 28, would have earned approximately $5.5 this season in salary arbitration. The Braves, who tried to trade Giles at the winter meetings, deemed that too high a price.
    "I can't say that I'm totally surprised," said Giles' agent, Joe Bick. "We are certainly prepared to explore other options and will do so immediately."

The Braves were set last week to send Giles and first baseman Adam LaRoche to the Orioles for second baseman Brian Roberts and right-hander Hayden Penn, but Orioles owner Peter Angelos quashed the deal.

The Padres also spoke with the Braves about acquiring Giles earlier this off-season, but resisted parting with right-hander Scott Linebrink or another reliever, perhaps suspecting that Giles would become a free agent.

10. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Difference between the padres and chargers...look at the rosters..the chargers dont trade away talent as much as the padres do. How many draft picks are playing for the padres currently? I said I would give them until the beginning of the season to seriously put the smack down. A fan from the early 1980's, the padres were my first love. I will always be a fan, but when you put sorry product on the field, who wants to see it?

11. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    no other team, but I love to watch Big Papi play up there in Boston.

12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The thing that I will agree with you is this.

I do not like the Padres trading away talent.

But it all comes down to the big $$$$$ . The Padres are not known to have that. We are a small market team. It is the economics of the business that comes into play always with the Padres.

I wish that The Padres had the $$$$$ that the Yankees have and be able to spend money like it is going on some tree out back of Petco Park. We would have the likes of Zito, Ramirez, Soriano and I would also say Pujols for shittz and giggles.

The Padres are not the Yankees when it comes to the $$$$$ so I have been reserved with the Padres because they can not spend all the money to get all the players we need.

I do agree that the Padres need to get some bats even if the bats come from contact hitters or players that can put the balls into play. That is the only gripe I have right now about the Padres.

I am not going to bail on them in any instance. I am going to be a fan until I die.

13. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Well said. I am down with a team that can win the division...but thats about it. We dont have the guys to take us to the show. No money for improvements. We only patch this team up, who knows, maybe one day it will work.

14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The Padres are like the S.S. Minnow compaired to the Yankees which are the equivalent to one of Donald Trumps Yachts.

The Padres are like the minnow that they have to keep on patching up that hole and hopefully get home or in this instance the World Series Champions.

While the Yankees are always one of Trump Yachts in dock and never go out to sea what so ever but keep on getting the bling bling to make it look all that much better to do what in all these years not much.

I would just like for once to see the S.S. Minnow (The Padres) to have the important Bling Bling which is the World Series Championship.

15. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
  16. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
  17. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
  18. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Thank you Baseball Gods! Doug was one of our favorites out of the bullpen. NO, he is not the answer to all that ails the Padres, oh gosh no, but we like him anyways.:yes:

Giles would be a good addition at lead-off.
    Wells could be a good 5th starter. If Bochy doesnt woo him away to the Giants.

19. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Au revoir Monsieur Klesko:

Giants and free agent first baseman Ryan Klesko agree to terms on a 1-year contract
    JANIE McCAULEY
    AP Sports Writer SAN FRANCISCO — The San Francisco Giants and free agent first baseman Ryan Klesko agreed to terms on a one-year contract Tuesday, giving the club another option at first along with recently acquired Rich Aurilia.
    The Giants plucked another player formerly with the rival San Diego Padres, the two-time defending NL West champions. San Francisco also hired manager Bruce Bochy away from the Padres and agreed to an $18 million, three-year contract with center fielder Dave Roberts.
    Bochy and general manager Brian Sabean have said Aurilia, who accepted an $8 million, two-year deal earlier this month to return to the Giants, would be the primary first baseman — though he can play anywhere in the infield.
    The 35-year-old Klesko appeared in only six games in 2006 after surgery on his left shoulder in April. He was bothered by soreness in his throwing shoulder late in spring training and started the season on the disabled list. He had three hits with a double and two RBIs in four at-bats. A left-handed hitter who also can play the outfield, he spent the past seven seasons with San Diego after playing his first eight years in the big leagues with the Atlanta Braves.
    Meanwhile, slugger Barry Bonds still had not scheduled a physical with the Giants, who have reached a preliminary agreement with the 42-year-old seven-time NL MVP on a $16 million, one-year contract that could pay him up to $20 million. Finalizing Bonds' contract has taken longer than Sabean expected after the sides came to agreement Dec. 7 on the final day of the baseball winter meetings.

San Fran has become Padres Norte with Bruce Bochy, DAve Roberts, Tim Flannery(base coach) and now Klesko. Gnats already have exPadre Mark Sweeney and have also recently acquired another ex, Rich Aurilia. They are tryin to also woo David Wells...Which I dont think is gonna happen.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Next up on bruce bochy's radar:
    Mark Bellhorn
    Eric Young
    Vinny Castilla

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Funny, a few short years ago, .500 was something to aspire to for the Pads.

Misery loves company...shroud your self.

22. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Padres re-sign Brocail, claim StansberryDecember 20, 2006

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The Padres finalized a $500,000, one-year deal with right-handed reliever Doug Brocail on Wednesday and claimed minor league second baseman Craig Stansberry off waivers from the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Brocail had two heart angioplasties in the spring and was activated at the end of the All-Star break. He went 2-2 with a 4.76 ERA in 25 appearances for the NL West champions.
    Stansberry, who was born in Dammam, Saudi Arabia, split the 2006 season between Double-A Altoona and Triple-A Indianapolis, combining to hit .243 with 13 home runs, 55 RBIs and 18 stolen bases.

edit: yeah

23. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Boch will lead the giants to the west title. Pads will finish somewhere near the bottom.

24. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    MLB Rumors

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hitchcock might return

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2006 9:29 am EST

[​IMG]

You might have noticed the name of former San Diego Padres pitcher Sterling Hitchcock among baseball's free agents. He asked the Padres to take him off the voluntarily retired list in anticipation of a possible comeback. That could be with the Padres, if they like what they see. Hitchcock, 35, is on a winter throwing program in anticipation of a spring training invitation somewhere.
    Source: North County Times

edit:yesssssssssss! Padres gonna win with Hitchy back.

25. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I know that I am late on this but The Friars finally have a bat in Marcus Giles who I think will do the lead off batter for us.

He is a great second baseman as well.

Great pick up for the Padres.:tup:

I hope that our wheelin and dealin is not over yet.

KT keep on getting us some stars like Marcus Giles. It will be appreciated.

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Go preach it onna Giants board.

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    You don realize you're talkin about the reigning two-time NL West Champions, right??

28. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    How would you feel if the chargers won the division two years in a row and never won a playoff game in those years?.....

29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,171
    It could happen. You gotta enjoy the good while you got it. Accentuate the positive so to speak.:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

The Yankees haven't done chiat lately and their farm system is completely depleted.

• Like Like x 1