1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres Game Articles

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Apr 5, 2007.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    The "irony" is that the Pads ran into the two best pitchers the Orioles hafta offer, on consecutive nites. This is clearly onea those "tip your cap" moments.

8. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Padres beat BoSox:tup: :tup:

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  11. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Horrible loss tonight. I can't stand losing to the gigantes.

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  14. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    San Diego 44 33 .571 -
    Arizona 45 34 .570 -
    LA Dodgers 44 34 .564 0.5
    Colorado 38 40 .487 6.5
    San Francisco 33 44 .429 11.0

• Like Like x 1
  15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  21. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +695
    • Like Like x 1
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Thanx Darlin...'preciate'cha!! :)

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  27. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Rally falls short in loss to Braves
    07/09/2007 1:13 AM ET By Elizabeth Botello / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- The Padres rallied in the ninth inning by scoring three runs and had two on, but their efforts quickly ended when Marcus Giles took a called third strike to end the game, 5-4, in the Braves' favor on Sunday night.
    Giles said the called strike by home-plate umpire CB Bucknor was questionable. Giles thought it was a ball, not a strike. This is probably why Giles yelled out, "It was outside," as soon as Buckner called it.
    "He just walked away," Giles said of Bucknor's response to his outcry.
    "It's a ball. That's all I know. It's a ball. Well, judging by the overhead, it was about four or five inches outside. It hit the white line on the other batter's box. But who knows?"
    Padres manager Bud Black didn't like that call and a few others.
    "I think there were some questionable calls tonight," Black said. "I guess you can say that about every game, but tonight it looked as though ... well, I'll leave it at that."
    The Padres went into the ninth inning down 5-1. Their sole run at that point came in the third inning, when center fielder Mike Cameron lined a double to center field to drive in Adrian Gonzalez from first base.
    Then came the ninth-inning rally. Milton Bradley came home on Michael Barrett's double. Kevin Kouzmanoff followed with a single that drove in Barrett. Russell Branyan then hit another single. With two on, Brian Giles had a base hit to drive in Kouzmanoff. With the potential winning run on base, Marcus Giles had his questionable appearance at the plate that ended the Padres' hopes of finishing the first half of the season on a high note in front of 41,026.
    The Padres couldn't quite overcome the five runs the Braves scored earlier. Padres starter Greg Maddux gave up all five.
    Facing his old team -- Maddux played 11 seasons with Atlanta -- Maddux allowed two home runs among the hitting antics of one notable Brave, All-Star Brian McCann.
    McCann drilled a two-run home run in the second inning and drove another two in the sixth with a single.
    The Braves' Kelly Johnson hit a solo home run in the second inning.
    Maddux (7-6) took the loss after allowing six hits over five-plus innings. He threw 83 pitches, 49 for strikes.
    "Tonight wasn't like what we've seen from Greg," Black said. "I thought Greg was throwing the ball OK. But after McCann hit [in the sixth], I thought that was enough.
    "But he threw pitches into the sixth and seventh in his last start. I'll take him every fifth day. I'll take Greg Maddux."
    Said Maddux of his start: "The second inning wasn't very good. I didn't make a good pitch to McCann, he hit it out, and the pitch to Kelly Johnson wasn't very good either."
    Although they dropped the series to Atlanta, the Padres are still in first place in the National League West. They are one game ahead of the Los Angeles Dodgers and have the NL's best record, 49-38 (.563).
    The Padres got there by playing good defense in the first half. And perhaps Sunday's most memorable catch came on the first batter of the game. The Braves' Willie Harris slived one down the left-field line, near the stands. Padres left fielder Milton Bradley slid on his back to make the catch.
    Bradley went 2-for-4 at the plate on Sunday to improve his batting average to .306.
    Braves starting pitcher Kyle Davies (4-7) got the victory. He pitched six innings, yielding one run on four hits and striking out six.
    The Padres went 3-4 in this seven-game homestand. Now they will take a much-needed break during the All-Star festivities until they head to Arizona for a three-game series to begin the second half. "Hopefully, we'll have a good second half," said Maddux, who also will be starting Friday's game.
    If anyone else watched that game, there were several ridiculous calls by Bucknor-I can still see them in my head they were so bad. Alot of the time I cant tell for sure, these were obvious. Oh, well. Break time for the boyz...

28. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Maddux finds no oasis in desert

Kouzmanoff's big bat not enough for Padres

By Tom Krasovic
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 14, 2007

<TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>PHOENIX – Because Greg Maddux suffered another bout of Desert Fever, lasting only four innings in the arid land where he seldom resembles a Hall of Fame-caliber performer, the Padres got off to a sluggish start last night in their first game out of the All-Star break. The Padres, down by three runs after the first inning, never caught the Diamondbacks, who pulled away against relievers Royce Ring and Cla Meredith for an 8-3 victory, which left the Padres one percentage point ahead of the second-place Dodgers in the National League West.
    Chances are that when Maddux is inducted at Cooperstown, he will carry few fond memories of Phoenix's hangarlike ballpark, where his pitches might sink less in the dry air. Against the Diamondbacks in their home, Maddux is 0-6 with a 5.67 ERA. Against them overall, he is 1-10 with a 5.28 ERA. Against all other major league clubs, he is 339-200.

<TABLE cellPadding=2 width=284 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]
    Associated Press​
    Marcus Giles (left) is greeted by Padres manager Bud Black after scoring in the fourth inning.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>“They got me and I screwed up – combination of both,” Maddux said, assigning no relationship between venue conditions and results. Maddux was unusually imprecise. He threw 84 pitches, far above his thrifty average of 13.5 per inning. But he said he had a good feel for the baseballs, which hasn't always been the case for him in the desert city.
    “I've had problems in the past here with balls being slick, but tonight, balls weren't slick,” said Maddux, who suffered a tough defeat at Phoenix in the 2001 NLCS while with Atlanta. “I'd love to have an excuse – but sometimes you've got to look in the mirror.”
    When Maddux threw his final pitch, the Padres trailed 4-1. Sizzling Kevin Kouzmanoff, who came within a single of hitting for the cycle, homered against Doug Davis (6-10) to pull the Padres to 4-2 in the fifth. Later in the inning, Brian Giles hit a bases-empty drive above the right-field fence, but right fielder Jeff Salazar jumped more than two feet and snatched the ball a foot above the barrier.
    “Great play, no doubt,” Padres manager Bud Black said.
    Jose Cruz Jr., drawing the Padres to 4-3 in the seventh, hit the team's first pinch homer of the season before Arizona answered with four runs against Ring and Meredith.
    Maddux (7-7) suffered his third consecutive defeat, a stretch in which he has allowed 15 runs in 15 1/3 innings. That he got only 12 outs meant that the bullpen had to get at least 12, an early test for a team whose next open date is July 30.
    Working on normal rest, which is his preference, Maddux was out of sorts starting with his first pitch, a chest-high fastball to Chris Young. Shortstop Khalil Greene later made a terrific play to retire the speedy Young, but one out later, Arizona taxed Maddux for five consecutive hits, two of them deep doubles. Throughout his 29-pitch first inning, Maddux was unable to place his fastball as low as he usually does.
    The pitcher credited cleanup man Chad Tracy for powering a double off a “pretty good pitch,” making it 1-0. Hanging an 0-2 curveball to Conor Jackson, Maddux suffered another RBI double. “That was a brutal pitch,” Maddux said.
    None of Arizona's eight hitters in the first inning swung at the first pitch, a rare show of patience against Maddux, especially for a young lineup. Eleven of Arizona's 15 hits came with two outs, including eight against Maddux.
    “They swung the bats well,” said Maddux, who takes no credit when he wins and blames only himself when he loses.

29. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Maddux finds no oasis in desert

Kouzmanoff's big bat not enough for Padres

By Tom Krasovic
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 14, 2007

<TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>PHOENIX – Because Greg Maddux suffered another bout of Desert Fever, lasting only four innings in the arid land where he seldom resembles a Hall of Fame-caliber performer, the Padres got off to a sluggish start last night in their first game out of the All-Star break. The Padres, down by three runs after the first inning, never caught the Diamondbacks, who pulled away against relievers Royce Ring and Cla Meredith for an 8-3 victory, which left the Padres one percentage point ahead of the second-place Dodgers in the National League West.
    Chances are that when Maddux is inducted at Cooperstown, he will carry few fond memories of Phoenix's hangarlike ballpark, where his pitches might sink less in the dry air. Against the Diamondbacks in their home, Maddux is 0-6 with a 5.67 ERA. Against them overall, he is 1-10 with a 5.28 ERA. Against all other major league clubs, he is 339-200.

<TABLE cellPadding=2 width=284 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]
    Associated Press​
    Marcus Giles (left) is greeted by Padres manager Bud Black after scoring in the fourth inning.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>“They got me and I screwed up – combination of both,” Maddux said, assigning no relationship between venue conditions and results. Maddux was unusually imprecise. He threw 84 pitches, far above his thrifty average of 13.5 per inning. But he said he had a good feel for the baseballs, which hasn't always been the case for him in the desert city.
    “I've had problems in the past here with balls being slick, but tonight, balls weren't slick,” said Maddux, who suffered a tough defeat at Phoenix in the 2001 NLCS while with Atlanta. “I'd love to have an excuse – but sometimes you've got to look in the mirror.”
    When Maddux threw his final pitch, the Padres trailed 4-1. Sizzling Kevin Kouzmanoff, who came within a single of hitting for the cycle, homered against Doug Davis (6-10) to pull the Padres to 4-2 in the fifth. Later in the inning, Brian Giles hit a bases-empty drive above the right-field fence, but right fielder Jeff Salazar jumped more than two feet and snatched the ball a foot above the barrier.
    “Great play, no doubt,” Padres manager Bud Black said.
    Jose Cruz Jr., drawing the Padres to 4-3 in the seventh, hit the team's first pinch homer of the season before Arizona answered with four runs against Ring and Meredith.
    Maddux (7-7) suffered his third consecutive defeat, a stretch in which he has allowed 15 runs in 15 1/3 innings. That he got only 12 outs meant that the bullpen had to get at least 12, an early test for a team whose next open date is July 30.
    Working on normal rest, which is his preference, Maddux was out of sorts starting with his first pitch, a chest-high fastball to Chris Young. Shortstop Khalil Greene later made a terrific play to retire the speedy Young, but one out later, Arizona taxed Maddux for five consecutive hits, two of them deep doubles. Throughout his 29-pitch first inning, Maddux was unable to place his fastball as low as he usually does.
    The pitcher credited cleanup man Chad Tracy for powering a double off a “pretty good pitch,” making it 1-0. Hanging an 0-2 curveball to Conor Jackson, Maddux suffered another RBI double. “That was a brutal pitch,” Maddux said.
    None of Arizona's eight hitters in the first inning swung at the first pitch, a rare show of patience against Maddux, especially for a young lineup. Eleven of Arizona's 15 hits came with two outs, including eight against Maddux.
    “They swung the bats well,” said Maddux, who takes no credit when he wins and blames only himself when he loses.

30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    He didn't have his best game last nite, and thot he was getting squeezed against the Braves before the ASB.