1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Padres get Hairston, Hillenbrand

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Jul 28, 2007.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    D'Backs outfielder Scott Hairston goes to San Diego for right-handed pitcher Leo Rosales

/ Associated Press
    Posted: 6 hours ago
    The <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = FSTL /><FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71611">San Diego Padres</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> acquired outfielder <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="139887">Scott Hairston</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> from the <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71615">Arizona Diamondbacks</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> for minor league pitcher Leo Rosales on Friday.
    Hairston is hitting .222 in 76 games for the <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71615">Diamondbacks</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> this season, with three home runs and 16 RBIs. Hairston has a .238 career batting average with 16 home runs and 47 RBIs since making his debut with Arizona in 2004.
    The 26-year-old Rosales was 1-1 with 14 saves and a 3.28 ERA at Triple-A Portland before going on the disabled list June 7 because of a broken right hand. He had 27 strikeouts and 10 walks in 24.2 innings.
    It's the second addition to the <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71611">Padres</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> outfield in less than a month. San Diego acquired <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="85647">Milton Bradley</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> in a trade with Oakland on June 29. The temperamental Bradley has boosted a struggling offense, hitting .340 with three homers and nine RBIs in 14 games.
    Hairston will likely take the role of outfielder <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="141591">Terrmel Sledge</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK>, who was sent to the minors on Wednesday when the team called up pitcher <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="340623">Clay Hensley</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK>. The <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71611">Padres</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> said Hairston will arrive Saturday and they will make a corresponding roster move at that time to make room for him.

2. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Padres sign Hillenbrand to Minors deal
    07/28/2007 1:30 AM ET By Corey Brock / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- In a low-risk move, the Padres signed veteran infielder Shea Hillenbrand to a Minor League contract late Friday.
    Hillenbrand, who turned 32 on Friday, will report to Triple-A Portland.

Hillenbrand played in 53 games this season with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim before being designated for assignment on June 29.

He cleared waivers and became a free agent on July 11.
    Hillenbrand was hitting .254 with three home runs and 22 RBIs for the Angels this season. He signed with the Angels as a Major League free agent on Dec. 26, 2006.

A two-time American League All-Star, Hillenbrand has played in parts of seven seasons with the Boston Red Sox (2001-2003), Arizona Diamondbacks (2003-2004), Toronto Blue Jays (2005-2006), San Francisco Giants (2006) and Angels (2007).
    In 923 Major League games, Hillenbrand has a career .285 average with 107 homers and 481 RBIs.

Earlier on Friday, the Padres acquired 27-year-old outfielder Scott Hairston from Arizona for Minor League pitcher Leo Rosales.
    Hairston, who was hitting .222 with 13 doubles, three home runs and 16 RBIs in 176 at-bats with Arizona, will be a backup outfielder for the Padres and a right-handed bat off the bench, which is something that the team currently doesn't have much of.
    Hairston will join the Padres on Saturday in Houston and be added to the 25-man roster.

3. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    hmm... more average guys... I wish we could get a decent power guy even if he hits at a 250 clip. We need some protection in the lineup, I guess they don't wanna replace any of the infielders.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    they also released russell branyan

5. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Between this and trading Scott, I am hatin' me some KT.
    Seriously considering making a GM dartboard.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    i don't like his inconsistency - he talks n and on about chemistry then in 2 weeks pretty thoroughly destroys the chemistry. Can't be much worse then the eric young/vinny castilla thing

Linebrink at least I understand pretty well

7. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Towers is overrated. Even his "vaunted" knowledge of pitchers is a joke. If you pick up enough bodies, you'll eventually score on a few. People just remember guys like Chris Young (which was a great pickup) but forget about guys like:

Kevin Jarvis
    Darryle May
    Tim Redding
    Jay Witasick
    Dennis Tankskerley
    Jason Siminszki
    Chris Hammond
    Dennis Reyes
    Brian Meadows
    Carlton Loewer
    Brian Tollberg
    Luther Hackman
    Ricky Stone
    Scott Williamson
    Jon Adkins
    Scott Cassidy
    Dewon Brazelton
    Jim Brower
    Brian Falkenborg
    Eddy Oropesa
    Blain Neal
    Antonio Osuna
    Marty McCleary

That list (copied from the Padres forum) are pitchers on the staff since 2003.

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    You serious, dude? You can make a list like that for every GM out there.

Nobody's going to have a perfect track record.

Chris Hammond shouldn't be on that list, by the way.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'll never, for the life of me, understand why that was such a huge deal.

The two guys suck it up all season long, some of the worst performances I had ever seen on a contending team, and then when they get cut everyone (fans and players alike) act like they just cut Jake Peavy and Trevor Hoffman.

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Branyan was hitting .207. Jake Peavy is hitting better than him. Now i dont see why we need Hairston. Just another no stick guy that we have plenty of.

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Two more guys that couldnt hit and are past their prime. I didnt see anything wrong with their releases.
    I couldnt see why he signed Castilla in the first place. He hit a whole 12 homers the year before and you knew he would be lucky to hit 7 playing at Petco and it turned out he couldnt hit singles.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407