1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Padres sign Mark Prior

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, Dec 26, 2007.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3168825

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    When I saw the Cubs release him I was hoping we would give him a shot, so long as it didn't cost us what it cost the Cubs. This is a late xmas present as far as I'm concerned.

3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    They updated the article.

1 year, 1 mil base salary, incentives can take it to 3 mil.

4. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    That's fine by me, great potential his entire career, let's see it develop in SD!

5. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Both him and Wolf have tremendous potential! But....Both have recent injuries. My hope is that we can get a complete season between the two. If we get complete seasons from both of them, this rotation could be 1990's Atlanta Bravesesqe...

TBF

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,672
    That's incredibly cheap but I think the Padres just flushed a million down the toilet. I don't see Prior as able to stay healthy and this talk about him putting up his 03 numbers are asinine

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I just saw this on sportscenter. Great pickup! This kid will absolutely be an asset to the Pads rotation this season.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    eh, in the world of baseball salaries 1 million is like 10 bucks.

If they've flushed it down the toilet it's not a big deal.

In the meantime, if he does regain his form and stays healthy it's a damn good signing, for only 3 mil.

9. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    KT dumpster-diving at its best!:yes:

He has found many a diamond amongst the rough that hes culled from the dumpsters of other teams. :tup:

If either him and/or Wolf work out, and I think they will, it will be another success.

Dont be so damned negative, Ant. Geez. Did Santa put coal in your stocking?

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Don't pay any attentionta that putz, Darlin...recall he thot Chambers was gonna be a disaster as well.

11. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I just get really excited, like adult forum excited to think of what wolf and prior could *potentially* bring to the pads, **** we could continue to avoid adding bats with all the possible shutouts.

12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I love this signing but, I hope Prior can stay healthy instead of being hurt for any part of the season.

I think also that we still need some bats to compliment all this great pitching that the Padres have.

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Santa does not stop at his house. He can't hear the bell.

I think it is a nice risk-reward. We know he can throw, but can he stay on the mound.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Perfect analogy, Kwakkers, TYVM. I rode the train Monday night.:tup:

They usually dont sign guys without doing a physical. I would imagine they did that. They must think he will stay together(with or without Crazy Glue).

A meelion plus incentives. A worthy risk as you say.:yes:

15. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I think that the Padres Pitching Rotation just became very dangerous with Priors signing.

With Peavy, Young, Maddux, Prior and Wolf. Opposing teams are going to have to pick there poison with our Starting Pitching staff. Can you say a big OUCH?

We are going to be vicious on the mound.

I think the Padres might be able to get a ring with Priors signing.

We also now have just a little bit of a bat with the Iguchi signing.

The Padres are in my opinion are going to dominate. First with there pitching then with the bats after that.

I am so happy to be a Padres fan right now. :icon_banana:

• Like Like x 1
  16. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I'm exicted, but reluctant to celebrate as Wolf and Prior are both injury prone...

The Good News on Prior is that the same guy that did his surgery did Drew Brees' surgery...We all see how Drew handled the set back...IMO he came back better.

More good news is that this is Pryors first real "arm" injury due to pitching, the others have been collisoins with people or balls.

Wolf is 'that' crafty left handed arm that every "good" team has.

Let us not forget the signing of Jim Edmonds..."IF" he stay healthy, he can be an explosive bat. We still need a LF, but our roster has some up and comers that can play there as well, the two of the top of the head are mcanualty and hairston...Mac IMO has a great swing/bat he just needs reps at the big league level. I hope Mac doesn't become the next Phil Plantier...Butter swing that he can't control.

TBF

17. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    This is definitely a good rotation. I would say it's one of the best in baseball. Hopefully they can get stay healthy and dominate early on. It's going to be an exciting year and PETCO will be a huge factor for this rotation. I can't wait!!!!

18. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    We lost two of our best bats from last year, have a big hole in LF and still dont have any catchers that can throw out runners. Whats to be excited about? Yea our pitching will be terrific but remember, the west is only getting better having two teams making the playoffs.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    We didn't have Milton Bradley for more than half the season last year and Mike Cameron was ineffictive more often than not and we didn't have catchers that could throw anyone out last year, yet that didn't prevent us from finishing within one game of the playoffs and the 3rd best record in the NL.