1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres Spring Training 2009

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Feb 14, 2009.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Last modified Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:40 PM PST[​IMG]

PADRES NOTES: A-Rod's A-Pology doesn't sway Young
    [​IMG]
    By DAN HAYES - Staff Writer, North County Times

PEORIA, Ariz. ---- All eyes in the Padres' cafeteria were glued to the television as Alex Rodriguez spoke for 40 minutes on Tuesday morning about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Rodriguez, who has admitted he flunked a test to detect steroids during the 2003 season, attributed his use of a substance he identified as "boli" during his three-year tenure with the Texas Rangers to being young and stupid. But Padres pitcher Chris Young said he isn't quite ready to accept Rodriguez's reasoning.

"It didn't affect me personally, but I look at some of the moral decisions," Young said. "To me, it's not really gray, it's right or wrong. It's not only cheating the fans and the game and yourself but also all the players.

"(Being young) doesn't excuse it in my opinion. So what? What about the guy that was young that made the decision not to do it? And he got two years in the big leagues and didn't get the contract. If it was a level playing field for him, maybe he would have excelled.

"Those guys need a voice."

Jake Peavy is in agreement with both Young and Houston pitcher Roy Oswalt, a close friend who criticized Rodriguez earlier this week. But Peavy doesn't feel it's his place to speak out.

"I know exactly where Roy is coming from," Peavy said. "I don't want to be pitching to somebody here coming up and feel like they have an edge because of something illegal they're doing. I'm for every bit of this drug testing. The stuff that's happened in the past, I don't want to throw stones for mistakes they've made. ... Everybody has their mistakes, and everybody has screwed up in life in some way, form or shape."

Pads sign Brown

� The Padres agreed to a minor-league deal with outfielder Emil Brown. General manager Kevin Towers said Brown, who played 13 games for the Padres in 2001, will give the club depth when a handful of their right-handed hitters begin to participate in the World Baseball Classic on March 1. Brown has an "outside chance" to make the club out of camp and could wind up playing in Japan or beginning the season at Triple-A Portland. Brown hit .244 with 13 homers and 59 RBIs for Oakland last season.

Silva horizon?

The Padres may purchase the contract of veteran pitcher Walter Silva from Monterrey of the Mexican League and offer him a late invitation to spring training. Silva, 32, who played alongside Adrian and Edgar Gonzalez for Mexico in the Caribbean Series and also in Mazatlan during winter ball, didn't begin pitching until he was 28.

All aboard

Manager Bud Black said he expects everyone to be in camp on time with the exception of Henry Blanco, who will report on Friday after dealing with a family issue. While pitchers and catchers held their second workouts, the rest of the team's position players will undergo physicals on Wednesday and hold their first workout on Thursday.

---- Dan Hayes

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Emil Brown?? :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

3. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    It's just a minor-legue contract, so no promises. Just another utility/bench guy to look at on the cheap.

4. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    02/18/09 5:52 PM EST
    Giles keeping focus on Padres

Outfielder vows not to let legal issues affect performance

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Outfielder Brian Giles said Wednesday that his legal issues won't be any distraction for him as he prepares for what could be his final season wearing a Padres uniform.

"I think I'm very good at dealing with off-the-field issues in your spare time," Giles said. "When you walk in the clubhouse, you check yourself into being a professional and being there for your teammates.
    [​IMG]
    "This won't be a distraction for myself and I can guarantee you it won't be a distraction for my teammates or the organization."

Giles' former girlfriend, Cheri Olvera, filed a palimony lawsuit against Giles in December that claimed he battered her while she was pregnant, which caused a miscarriage. Olvera is seeking more than $10 million.

The countersuit states that Olvera struck Giles, pulled his hair, slapped him, kicked him and disparaged him in front of others. Giles is seeking to recover a diamond engagement ring he gave to Olvera on Christmas Eve of 2005 valued at $107,952.

Giles, who took his physical Wednesday and will go through his first official workout with his teammates Thursday, is confident he'll be able to separate his personal issues from his performance and helping the team.

"Obviously these guys don't have to answer any questions and it's all on me. It's one of those things I've been dealing with all winter. I have dealt with it pretty well and I'm looking to move forward," Giles said.

"The case is pending and I really can't speak about it. It's not a distraction. It's part of life. It's part of the ups and downs you go through in your life. I have to deal with those and make sure those are with Brian Giles and not the San Diego Padres."

Giles, who turned 38 last month, had his $9 million option picked up in the offseason. He will be the second-highest-paid player on the roster, behind pitcher Jake Peavy ($11 million). He expected to return in 2009, but certainly knew there were no guarantees.

"I thought it was a no-brainer, but things can change. ... The last game we played, when you walked out of that clubhouse you didn't know if you'd be back for sure," Giles said. "I thought my contract was structured well for this payroll for this organization and hopefully I can finish it off here."

Giles is coming off one of his best seasons as a Padre. He hit .306 last season and had 173 hits in 147 games with 12 home runs and 63 RBIs. It was the most hits he's had since 2004. He'll again start in right field and hit near the top of the lineup.

Giles admits he hasn't thought too far along as to what might happen after this season.

"I don't think you ever think that if you're a player," he said. "I think I've done a good job in my career not worrying about things out of my control. ... You've seen with [former closer Trevor Hoffman] Hoffy that ultimately this is a business.
    "Certainly you'd like to finish your career here. ... I grew up a Padre fan, so it'd be a pretty nice ending to my career to finish it off here."

Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

5. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    02/18/09 3:30 PM EST
    Maddux begins 'retirement' with Padres

Major League legend arrives to help out with Spring Training

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- It was last December, in his hometown of Las Vegas, when pitcher Greg Maddux officially announced his retirement at the Winter Meetings.
    [​IMG]
    But it wasn't until Wednesday, when the 42-year-old arrived at Spring Training in Peoria as a part-time instructor, that Maddux really considered his 23-year Major League career to be finished.

"For me, I feel like my first day of retirement really started today. The last three months -- Christmas time, New Year's -- have always been the same. I'm sure next week when I'm driving back home is when it will really kick in," Maddux said.

Maddux's first day as a Spring Training instructor saw him in full uniform, standing in the shadows of the same bullpen he was throwing in a year ago at this time.

Did Maddux miss it, the competition, being a player? Not so much, the 355-game winner said.

"I'm kind of actually glad I'm not out there running around ... getting my legs all sore," said Maddux. "As a player, your legs really hurt the first week of Spring Training. I know that it's early, but I think as a coach, your back gets a little sore from standing around all day."

Maddux said going back to last season he envisioned himself still being involved in the game, though maybe not this quickly.

"I love baseball," said Maddux. "It's what I've always done. It's really all I know. I knew it was time to stop playing a couple years ago. I know I probably want to get into coaching, somehow, someway later.

This happened a little quick.
    "I'm down here tying to get a taste of it and see what the coaches do before the workouts and after the workouts and to just get an idea of the time and preparation that goes into putting together an hour-and-a-half workout. There's a lot that goes into it."
    San Diego manager Bud Black said Maddux's role is largely "undefined," though he'll work with players, as well as possibly shadow general manager Kevin Towers and his staff in the first of what is expected to be three trips, each lasting about a week.

"I can sort of relate it to when I retired in 1995, I went to camp with Cleveland [in 1996]. I went to camp and just observed," Black said. "I was part of Spring Training on the coaching side, then I picked the brains of [front-office executives] Dan O'Dowd, John Hart and Mark Shapiro."

Maddux pitched the entire 2007 season with the Padres, going 14-11 with a 4.14 ERA. He spent part of last season with San Diego, going 6-9 with a 3.99 ERA before the team traded him to the Dodgers in August for two Minor League players.
    Maddux went 2-4 with a 5.09 ERA in seven starts with the Dodgers following the trade.

Maddux, who had a similar offer from the Cubs to be an instructor during Spring Training, opted to return to San Diego partly because of the relationships he formed with Black, pitching coach Darren Balsley and his teammates.

"I think that had a lot to do with it. I have a lot of respect for Balsley and Buddy ... and I enjoyed being around those guys," Maddux said.

Rookie pitcher Josh Geer was recalled from Triple-A Portland in September, so he missed Maddux by a month. But he's looking forward to bending the future Hall of Famer's ear in the spring for any tips, advice or observations.
    "It's awesome. We're very fortunate to have him here," Geer said. "Me being a young guy, I feel I can ask him anything. He's a veteran who has been through it all, a Hall of Famer, I'm sure he can teach us a lot."

Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    FINALLY, an article regarding my favorite current Padre:

02/19/09 1:00 PM EST
    Adams working his way back to 'pen

Padres counting on reliever to recover and repeat success

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Reliever Mike Adams pitched this week for the first time since undergoing right shoulder surgery to repair a slightly-torn labrum last October.
    Rust? You bet there was some rust.
    [​IMG]
    "I spiked a few balls," Adams said, smiling. "It was a little awkward at first. But it was a step forward, and that's all I can ask for."

A lot of people were watching those first pitches closely. Adams was an important cog in the Padres' bullpen last season, and San Diego is counting on the 30-year-old to play the same role in 2009 once he returns.

The Padres are encouraged that Adams' progress is going as smoothly as it is. He isn't ruling out a return to the field as early as late May.

"I was hoping that right about now was the time that was projected," Adams said. "My rehabilitation, to this point, has been very smooth with no setbacks. Hopefully, I'll continue that, and I will be ready to go in late May, early June."

Adams was one of a few bright spots for the Padres in 2008 -- a season he started with Triple-A Portland but ended as a valuable member of the Major League bullpen.

Adams was promoted on May 22 and proceeded to post the most strikeouts for National League relievers (74) from that date on, as well as the sixth-best ERA (2.48). He limited opposing batters to a .209 average and earned the trust of manager Bud Black along the way.

But Adams complained of soreness in his right shoulder in the last month of the regular season, even while posting a 1.93 ERA. He eventually had an MRI that showed a small tear in his labrum, and on Oct. 17 in Los Angeles, he had surgery to repair the tear.

"I had a small labrum tear," Adams said. "My rotator cuff was a little frayed, so they went in and fixed my labrum and cleaned up the rotator cuff. They said it wasn't that bad. They saw ahead of time a small tear in the MRI. The question was, when they went in, how big it was going to be."

Adams did his rehabilitation routine in his hometown of Corpus Christi, Texas, and he didn't experience a hiccup or setback along the way. For this, he is thankful.

"I'm fully satisfied where I'm at right now, and, hopefully, we won't have too many bumps in the road," Adams said.
    Adams will remain in Peoria long after the Padres break camp on April 2, continuing his throwing program and rehabilitation. He will need some Minor League outings before being activated.

7. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Chase Headley on video...

I just got done having a conversation with left fielder Chase Headley for a story that will appear on Padres.com on Thursday. I also taped a short Q&A segment with Headley that is posted below.

Headley comes to Spring Training this year with a lot less on his plate than a year ago when he was still learning a new position (converting from third base to left field) as well as trying to make the Major League Opening Day roster (that didn't happen, but only because the brass decided he needed more seasoning in the outfield.

After a slow start in Portland, Headley got hot at the plate and was promoted to the big club in June. He hit .269 with nine home runs and 38 RBI's. He also had 104 strikeouts, which surely is something he wants to cut down on (he talks about that in the video).

"I know that going forward I'm going to get better," Headley said.

So look for that story tomorrow.

Cheers, Corey

Video tip: Click the button in the bottom right of the box and selected "HQ" for a high-quality picture from the video.

8. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Floyd destroys BP; and a potential new pitcher

Happy Thursday from Peoria, where it's finally getting warm here and the camp is abuzz with pitchers, catchers and position players, who went through their first official workouts thus far.

I've got some footage of a few hitters below, including newcomer Cliff Floyd as well as Chase Headley, who I will profile in a story on Padres.com later today. Floyd destroyed a few balls today and showed a quick bat. What does that mean on Feb. 19? Who knows?

Also, I'm hearing today that the Padres are closing in on a Minor League deal with a starting pitcher, 32-year-old Walter Silva, who got a full endorsement from Adrian Gonzalez after they played together in the Caribbean World Series early this month.

Silva's contract is currently owned by a team in Monterrey but it appears he could be a Padre, possibly as soon as tomorrow. As always, we'll have the details here first.

Silva was 1-1 with a 2.25 ERA in the Caribbean World Series and will be added to the mix of pitchers who are trying to land the No. 4 and No. 5 spots in the starting rotation.

Edgar Gonzalez, who played with Silva in the Caribbean World Series, said Silva sits around 89-91 and can throw 93 with a mean cut-fastball.

Cheers, Corey

Lefties Venable and Headley look a bit rusty. Floyd has an extended follow-through.

9. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    From Friar John's Blog:

Maddux in Camp

[​IMG]

Got to say, it was a pleasure to see Greg Maddux in a Padres uniform again Wednesday, even if he wasn't on a mound.

The future Hall of Famer was in Peoria shadowing the coaching staff and testing the waters for a possible second career.
    [​IMG]Corey Brock has Maddux's words in a news story on padres.com, so we won't be too redundant here.

One interesting tidbit that Maddux dropped on the media that doesn't make the cut for Brock's story is that Maddux decided in spring training that 2008 would be his last season as a player. The right-hander said he planned for 2007 to be his finale, but he enjoyed playing in San Diego so much that he had to give it one more year.

As for his first taste of coaching, Maddux pointed out that it was a lot different to watch the coaches prepare for the daily workouts than it was to watch them during workouts as a player.

"There's a lot that goes into it," he said, "a lot."

Somehow, Friar John suspects, Maddux won't shy away from preparation.
    FJ

Posted on February 18, 2009 at 9:02 PM

10. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Padres' new closer stares down from a mound of confidence

Thursday, February 19, 2009

[​IMG] Padres closer Heath Bell is working to regain the edge that slipped after last season's All-Star break.

PEORIA, Ariz. – Heath Bell will be working without a net now. His apprenticeship has ended and his high-wire act is about to begin.

Henceforth, when the Padres relief pitcher is summoned from the bullpen, it will be on the understanding that his team's fate will be riding on his fastball. When Petco Park is suffused with Breaking Benjamin's misbegotten melody, “Blow Me Away,” that's the cue for a new closer.

“In the eighth inning, if you don't have it, somebody's going to come behind you,” Bell said Wednesday at the Padres' spring training complex. “In the ninth inning, there's nobody warming up behind you. It's all you. It's all on your shoulders.

“I like that challenge. I like being in those situations. I like coming in with the bases loaded, no out, in a tie game. ... Fear, I like that emotion.”

Bell has lost 25 pounds since the end of last season, but he does not shrink from the shadow of Trevor Hoffman. Rather, he revels in it. Bell has saved exactly two games in the major leagues, or 552 fewer than the man he replaces, but he carries himself with such confidence that some teammates are convinced Bell could swagger sitting down.

“Whatever makes you tick,” Padres ace Jake Peavy said. “I think I'd rather have it that way than a guy who is not confident, especially in that role.”

There's not much room for timidity in the ninth inning, and there's even less margin for error when you need three more outs to secure a one-run lead.

Temperamentally, baseball closers have a lot in common with NFL cornerbacks. They must be sure of their success and forgetful of their failures, resolved and resilient, independent and indomitable.

Bell already owns the bravado of a bullfighter. Still to be seen is whether he will make Padres fans see red in his new role.

“I think that confidence is a powerful thing when you're competing,” Padres manager Bud Black said. “I do think that Heath has that. I think that some of the things that he might say or do can be interpreted as being overconfident, but I don't see that. If you get to know him, I just think you sort of realize that's the way he is.”
    Though Bell's first impression can be brash, a fuller portrait might find him simply unfiltered. If he does not always weigh his words for the sake of clubhouse diplomacy, neither does he neglect to fire on his own foibles.

“I'm in shape,” reads one of the T-shirts in Bell's rotation. “Round is a shape.”

Listed last year at 240 pounds, Bell ballooned to 275 shortly after the season ended. But by limiting his cookie intake to “binge” days, slashing high-calorie soda from his diet and embracing Nintendo's Wii Fit exercise routine, Bell has shed enough surplus that his size 52 jersey has begun to look baggy.

“I'm impressed,” Padres General Manager Kevin Towers said. “He's shown me that he worked hard and realizes he has a tremendous opportunity here. He wants to take full advantage of it.”

He was motivated both by ambition and embarrassment. In programming his fitness video game, Bell was chagrined to be categorized as “obese,” and set out to streamline his profile. Though he has yet to lose the “obese” label, Bell says his conditioning has caused the baseball to “jump” out of his hand.

“Last year, it was my fault (because) I just got nonchalant about things,” he said. “(But) I started working out and trying to lose some weight before San Diego stopped talking to Trevor. I knew there was a possibility Trevor wasn't coming back, and I wanted to be in really tip-top shape in case that opportunity opened up to close. Or, if Trevor came back, I'd be in really good shape and help the bullpen get back to where we were.”

Acquired in a four-player trade with the New York Mets after the 2006 season, Bell gave the deal a lopsided look by leading major league relievers in strikeouts and innings pitched in 2007. In compiling a 2.02 ERA and limiting hitters to a .185 batting average, Bell persuaded many Padres fans that the time had come for a ninth-inning torch-passing.
    Bell was similarly dominant before the 2008 All-Star break, but staggered down the stretch to a 3.58 ERA and an 0-for-7 showing in save opportunities. In allowing 19 earned runs over his last 27 2/3 innings, Bell became a contributing factor in management's offseason indecision about bringing Hoffman back.

Should Bell struggle, Towers said, the most logical fallback might be Mark Worrell, who made five saves for Triple-A Memphis last year.

“As of right now,” Black said, “there's not one guy you'd look to as an alternative if things did go bad.”
    To Heath Bell, though, no net means no sweat. He is a man who believes he's at his best in a crisis, who prefers to perform under pressure, a baseball thrill-seeker craving a closer's rush.

“In transitioning a player,” Black said, “you hope that the time that he spent here the previous two years pitching late in the game, usually when we had the lead or were tied, and holding those leads, gets him ready for this. You don't know until it actually occurs ... (but) you can tell in certain guys'makeups whether they will be able to handle it. We think Heath can.”

When you're working without a net, doubt is not an option.

11. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Thus, instead of Hell's Bells, which has been gracing Trevor's entrance at home since 1998, this is what Heath will enter to:

Pretty awesome song, actually.

12. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    San Diego Padres to begin full workouts Thursday
    02/18/2009 7:54 PM ET
    MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- The San Diego Padres will conduct their first full-squad workout tomorrow at the club's Spring Training complex.

Pitchers and catchers completed their third day of workouts Wednesday, while position players underwent a lengthy round of physicals. A total of 61 players, including 21 non-roster invitees, are scheduled to be in camp this spring. The only player yet to report is catcher Henry Blanco, who is scheduled to join the team Friday. His arrival was delayed due to a family issue.

San Diego will play its first Spring Training game on Wednesday, Feb. 25, against the Seattle Mariners at 12:05 p.m. PT in the Annual Charity Game. Through a partnership with Peoria Diamond Club, the Charity Game has contributed more than $100,000 in donations to local charities.

Radio broadcast coverage of the Padres will begin on Thursday, Feb. 26, when San Diego hosts Seattle at 12:05 PT. Throughout Spring Training, Padres games can be heard on XX Sports Radio 1090 AM. Channel 4 San Diego will televise four home games -- March 7 vs. Oakland, March 11 in a World Baseball Classic exhibition, March 14 vs. Cleveland and March 31 vs. Milwaukee.

Get your tickets: Individual-game tickets go on sale Saturday, March 7, at 9:00 a.m. PT ... tickets will be available for all 81 home dates, including Opening Day -- Monday, April 6 -- when the Padres host the Los Angeles Dodgers at 4:05 p.m PT ... the Friars will host the Dodgers for two more night games, Tuesday (April 7) and Wednesday (April 8) at 7:05 p.m. PT before concluding with a 12:35 afternoon tilt on Thursday (April 9) ... Opening Week will continue as another National League West foe, San Francisco, comes to town for a three-game set (April 10-12) ... fans can guarantee seats for Opening Day by purchasing Season Tickets or a Padres Flex 13 Plan.

Busy at home: While Spring Training enters its first full week, the Padres are busy in San Diego ... on Thursday and Friday, the Padres and the San Diego State University Sports MBA program will host its annual SDSU Sports MBA Case competition ... students from nine MBA programs, including SDSU, Wharton, Oxford, Columbia and UC Berkeley, will square-off in the judged competition ... the four-person teams will have 24 hours to develop a business plan for a real-life situation ... on Saturday, the Padres, Southern California ASA and "Just Softball" will host a clinic for area softball coaches ... former Padres ace Randy Jones is a featured speaker ... coaches can sign up on the day of the event ... also Saturday, the Padres, Cox Communications, and E-World Recyclers of Vista (CA) are hosting an e-waste collection event ... the event will be held in a parking lot adjacent to PETCO Park and provide the opportunity to turn in electronic items, including computers, monitors, televisions and other electronics ... the event is aimed at reducing e-waste going into landfills and allowing for items to be reused, refurbished or recycled.

From rugby to dogs: The Padres are donating nearly 16,000 square feet of sod to the City Heights San Diego Police K-9 practice field ... the grass, utilized during the two-day USA Sevens Rugby tournament this past weekend, will be replanted at the field ... 12,800 square feet was delivered to the facility Tuesday, while another 3,000 will be dropped off Thursday ... previous sod donations following non-baseball events at the nearly five-year-old PETCO Park have included area schools' athletic fields.
    A lot for a Lincoln: In addition to continuing a variety of ticket programs from 2008, the Padres are introducing a "5 for $5 Value Deal" this season ... Friar Faithful can enjoy a hot dog, regular soda, popcorn, peanuts and a cookie, all for just $5 ... the offer is available for every regular-season home game ... fans can substitute a 16-ounce beer for the soda and pay just $10 for all five items.

13. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    02/19/09 4:30 PM EST
    Headley feels revitalized from taxing '08

Padres outfielder putting last season's trials in the rear-view

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- It wasn't until he stretched out on a deck chair, poolside at the tropical resort of Atlantis in the Bahamas when Chase Headley finally allowed himself to exhale.

It was November, on his honeymoon, when the Padres outfielder was able to look back on a season that was filled with enough twists and turns to make the 24-year-old positively dizzy.
    [​IMG]
    "I think, more than anything, last year was mentally exhausting for me," Headley said. "I think from Day 1 of Spring Training to the end of the year ... it was long year for me."

Consider everything Headley endured:
    In the spring, Headley, a third baseman by trade, was converted into an outfielder so the team could keep Kevin Kouzmanoff at third base and, eventually, have room for Headley when he arrived in the Major Leagues.
    The move came with a few, well, perilous and completely understandable moments as he learned the new position, a trial by fire, if you will, went well during Spring Training, where he was tested on balls to his left, right, over his head and everything in between.
    Then, despite hitting .349 in Spring Training, Headley was sent to Triple-A Portland to start the season to hone his outfield skills. Disappointed, he struggled there offensively for nearly two months before hitting his stride.

On June 17, Headley was promoted to San Diego, where had experienced a lot of the same ups (.269 batting average with nine home runs) and the downs (104 strikeouts) that many other rookies experience their first time in the Major Leagues.

"By the end of the year ... I was ready to be completely away from baseball for a while," Headley said this week.

That didn't last long, even after his November wedding in Knoxville, Tenn., and honeymoon in the Bahamas, Headley got the itch to start all over again, with an eye cast toward what he feels will be a better 2009 for him and the Padres.

"I would say when December rolled around, I was ready to get back out here," Headley said. "I missed it, I missed the guys and I missed competing. I know that going forward I'm going to be a better player."
    So do the Padres, who are hoping Headley's 91-game stint with the team last season gave him a jumpstart on what they think will be a promising career.

"I think Chase is going to have a solid year," Padres manager Bud Black said. "I think last year he laid a great foundation of what you can expect as far as how they're going to pitch him.
    "He had a lot on his plate last year. He comes here with less on his mind and he can worry about just playing baseball."

Grady Fuson, the Padres' vice president of player development and scouting, has likely watched Headley more than any other player in the organization, dating all the way back to when Headley played at the University of Tennessee.
    Fuson thinks Headley has plenty of upside and that the 331 at-bats he received after he was recalled from Portland will serve him well moving forward.

"That kind of experience is monumental," Fuson said. "You can do everything you want in the Minor Leagues, but nothing is as good as when they first get to the big leagues. Those first 300 at-bats, the first 50 games they play, bigger lights, more fans, more media and all of the attention that goes into it."

One of the primary things Headley wants to accomplish this season is cutting down on his strikeouts. Fuson said strikeouts have always been a part of his game in the Minor Leagues, but that his plate discipline and career .301 batting average and .399 on-base percentage in the Minor Leagues often overshadowed that.

"Considering the fact I struck out as many times as I did, I think that if I can cut back on those numbers a little bit, it's going to help everything," Headley said. "I mean, I'm going to strike out some. I'm going to see a lot of pitches, I'm going to walk, hit some home runs. "I just feel if we can get that number in check, I don't see any reason to why I can't get better."

14. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    From Whos Your Padre?:

Morning Notes from Peoria

Hey, one week down and, gulp, only six left? Wow, time sure flies out here in Arizona and, I have to admit, things are picking up now that the full-squad workouts have gotten underway.

Games :tup: next week, too, so that will spice things up a little, though it might cut into my video time. But, alas, I'll adapt. Please give me your thoughts on the video or let me know who you would like to see interviewed. I'll do my best.

So, as for notes from this morning. We talked with manager Bud Black about a few interesting things. It appears Minor League right-handed pitcher Gabe DeHoyos will be sidelined for a bit with a strained left hamstring. He was scheduled to pitch on Friday. Black said that the team trainers "have it under control."

Catcher Henry Blanco reported to camp on Friday for his first day of workouts. Blanco missed the first six or so days of workouts while attending to family business in Venezuela. I hope to talk to him today and we'll have a story up on Padres.com.

On Saturday, pitchers will throw their first round of live batting practice to hitters. It will make sure to get some footage of that. It's always interesting, especially since the pitchers always seem to be ahead of the hitters at this point.

Black indicated that the team will look at newcomer Kevin Correia more as a starting pitcher than a reliever early on in camp. That was essentially my guess all along, that Correia, who wants to start, was signed to a Minor League deal to win a job in the back end of the starting rotation. I imagine we'll see him early in Cactus League play next week.

The buzz back in my home state of Washington, especially in Seattle, is the Mariners recent signing of outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. Griffey will be in Peoria on Saturday and will have a press conference across the parking lot at the Mariners' facility. For what it's worth, Black actually faced Griffey once. It was 1988, Griffey's second in professional baseball and Black was on an injury rehabilitation assignment while with the Indians. Black threw five shutout innings for the Royals' Double-A team in Williamsport.

Cheers, Corey
    • Posted on February 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM

15. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    From Friar Johns Blog. All the links work BTW.

Hot Links for Friday, February 20

The Padres have an agreement in place to acquire RHP Walter Silva from Monterrey of the Mexican League. ...

RHP Mike Adams is on the mend after postseason shoulder surgery. ...

LF Chase Headley is refreshed after a challenging rookie season. ... He is looking to improve in 2009. ...
    Headley was named to the University of Tennessee All-Century team, along with Padres non-roster INF Chris Burke and former Padres OF Bubba Trammell. ...

Corey Brock's blog has video of Cliff Floyd hammering away in BP. ...

Manager Bud Black's spring address to the team noted that nine teams in the past 18 years have reached the playoffs after finishing last the previous season. ...

C Nick Hundley is refining his skills as a receiver. ...

CF Jody Gerut still has swelling in his left middle finger. ...

2B Matt Antonelli was happy to see 2008 become "last year." ...

The back end of the piching rotation remains unknown. ...

MILB.com's Lisa Winston profiles RHP Greg Burke, a prospect in Padres Big League camp. ...

Padres executive Randy Smith is quoted in a Washington Times piece about the continuing difficulties in verifying some international players' ages and identities. ...

You know what's a real bargain in spring training? Minor league games. They're free. Here's Triple-A Portland's spring schedule. ...

RHP Lee Gwaltney, a washout at Double-A San Antonio in 2008, has re-signed with the independent Fort Worth Cats. ...

An Associated Press piece on San Diego State pitching star Stephen Strasburg includes a lot from Tony Gwynn. ...

SI.com has a spring primer for the NL West. ...

Friar John is old. He remembers when Drew Benes was a runt running around Jack Murphy Stadium and watching his dad, Andy Benes, pitch for the Padres. Now Drew is playing for Arkansas State and getting his own newspaper features. ...

MLB.com weighs in on the Trevor Hoffman transition. ...

MLB Network analyst Harold Reynolds was a Padres draft pick but chose college.
    FJ

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Great stuff!! :) :tup:

17. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Pitchers pitched, hitters, well, watched

So today was the first time hitters got to face live pitching. This almost isn't fair, because these pitchers have been in camp for a week and have had several bullpen sessions. As for the hitters, they arrived Friday and for most of them, hitting in a cage has been their drill.

Let's just put it this way: Most of the hitters didn't get a whole lot of good hacks in. But that's not always the point, as infielder Chris Burke told me. Burke said the whole point of stepping in and facing live pitching was to just see the ball. Not necessarily hit it, but just to see it.

After all, this drill was more about pitcher being able to step on the mound, behind an L-screen, and pitch to hitters standing in the box for the first time. The hitters figure to get plenty of hacks in the coming days and even when games start on Wednesday.

It's all part of the process to get ready. Remember, there's six more weeks of this and no one here is a finished product. Most of these guys have their own routine and preparation for being ready for Opening Day.

Put it this way: I expect that in a month or so, the advantage during these drills will be more on the hitters than pitchers.

There's video below of Kevin Correia facing Luis Rodriguez and later Adrian Gonzalez later facing left-hander Wade LeBlanc. Burke is also in the video below.

Cheers, Corey

Posted on February 21, 2009 at 1:36 PM

18. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    All eyes on Worrell...

There were no shortage of players, coaches and front-office types huddle behind the batting cage today when newcomer Mark Worrell, the sidearm pitcher obtained from St. Louis in the trade for Khalil Greene, face live hitters for the first time.

As I mentioned here yesterday, this endeavor is more for the benefit of the pitcher than the hitter, though it allows the hitter to see some live pitching up close for the first time. But for a guy like Worrell, who has been here over a week, it's a change to cut loose with his stuff a little bit as the Cactus League schedule looms closer (Wednesday).

Worrell, oddly enough, doesn't pitch behind an L-screen like the rest of the pitchers do to protect themselves because his sidearm delivery won't allow for it. He didn't have too many close calls today, though, as the hitters mostly watched pitches.

I will note that Adrian Gonzalez sent a one-hop, opposite field shot to left that bounced over the fence, bounced once a again and hit a car that was passing by. Yes, I know, pretty good stuff.

Anyway, there's some video on Worrell below, first warming up and then facing live hitters. I think you'll see Brian Giles in there and Kevin Kouzmanoff.

As for the rest of camp, 21-year-old pitcher Mat Latos, who we feature here yesterday, had a bout with flu-like symptoms and didn't pitch on Saturday. He'll likely give it a try here in a few days.

Manager Bud Black isn't quite ready to unveil his pitching plans for the upcoming week but he did say Jake Peavy will start Wednesday's charity game against the Mariners and throw one inning. Chris Young will do the same the following day, also against the Mariners.

Other than that, a whole lot of fundamentals being taught here, like pickoffs and rundowns, an important area to addess, especially since there are a number of newcomers like infielders Chris Burke and David Eckstein and catcher Henry Blanco.

Cheers, Corey

Posted on February 22, 2009 at 10:41 AM

19. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    02/22/09 3:15 PM EST
    Young puts scary injury behind him

Righty not fazed by ball to face, hungry to help Padres win

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- His first inclination was to stay in the game and keep pitching. Even as the blood dripped from his face and while he felt dazed, Chris Young was sure he wanted to remain in the game.

This was, really, Young's first thought as he sat on the mound the night of May 21 after being hit in the face by an Albert Pujols ball up the middle, a line drive hit hard enough that Young had no time to duck and cover.
    [​IMG]
    "The first thing I remember was looking down and seeing that blood was everywhere," Young said. "I had no idea where the ball had hit me. I did not know if it was above my eyes, my nose or where. I didn't know if I had teeth on the ground."

Yet Young's first thought was to finish the inning.

"I sat down on the mound and remember thinking things were OK and that I could keep pitching," he said. "I wasn't seeing two [double vision] and thought that if they [the team medical staff] could close it up quickly, I could keep on pitching."

The impact of the Pujols line drive left Young with a fractured nose, facial fractures, a deviated septum and, worst of all, a small crack in his skull that, as he found out later, could have led to much bigger problems.

"I found out it was a skull fracture and I had to shut it down for eight weeks and that I couldn't exert myself until the skull healed. I think that's when it hit home, for me and my wife, that it was a lot more serious than we thought," Young said.

Serious, but not something Young couldn't overcome. Or, something he wouldn't allow to beat him.

Roughly eight weeks after being hit, Young was making rehabilitation appearances. On July 29 at PETCO Park, he climbed back on the mound at home and threw five shutout innings against Arizona. It was like he never left.

Young wasn't gun-shy in the least; he didn't pitch around contact or flinch when a ball left the bat. He treated that incident in May for what it was and simply got back to what he's always done best -- compete.

"He's so mentally tough, [the incident] was never a factor," said teammates Adrian Gonzalez. "He's so prepared and he knows what it takes to have success. You knew that it was behind him [when he returned]. It a way, he used it to his own benefit."

Young went 3-2 over the final month of the regular season, posting a 2.38 ERA for a team that went on to lose 99 games. It was almost like those two-plus months away from the game didn't affect him whatsoever.
    "It's part of the game. It happens," Young said. "I had three years in a row where I made 30 or so starts.

Hopefully I'll get back to that this year. Sometimes these things are unavoidable. ... Last year was a freak injury. I came back and now I want to build on that."

And, perhaps, regain his place as, what many regard, one of baseball's most underrated and possibly undiscovered talents.

"A couple of years ago when he started out 7-0 or 8-0, 8-1, I thought he would be a Cy Young candidate. He's got that kind of stuff. If he's able to make 30, 35 starts, I can see this guy winning 15 to 20 games," Padres general manager Kevin Towers said.
    "I don't think we've seen the tip of the iceberg with this guy yet. If he stays healthy, I think he'll be a Cy Young candidate."

Consider the evidence: Since being acquired from the Texas Rangers prior to the 2006 season, Young is 27-19 with a 3.44 ERA in 79 starts, including a 7-6 mark last season when he made 18 starts.

And then there's this: Since the beginning of the 2006 season, no Major League pitcher with at least 300 innings allowed a lower opposing batting average than Young has (.204). Consider the next-closet pitcher, Johan Santana, has a .224 average against him, followed by teammate Jake Peavy (.226).

"He's got the right head, he's got the stuff; when he's healthy and on ... he dominates good lineups," Towers said. "He's a special player and a special person. We knew that when we got him. We heard such great things about his makeup, demeanor and poise."

Aside from making the 2007 National League All-Star team, Young seldom gets much mention among the top pitchers in the game. Injuries, of course, have taken him away from the game for a spell.

In 2007, Young made 30 starts but missed time with a nagging oblique injury. Young finished 9-8 with a 3.12 ERA in 173 innings. Then last season was the line drive to the face that caused him to miss nearly nine weeks.

"I'm definitely hungry. I was motivated during the offseason," Young said. "I want to get back out there. I want to pick up where I left off and stay healthy. I want to help this team win. We're as capable as any team in our division.

"I think the time away also showed me how much I love playing and love the game and that I love my teammates. It was my first extended time on the disabled list away from my teammates and didn't feel like part of the team. It was really hard. It confirmed what a great group of guys we have here. I truly missed everyone."

Young has done his best to put the Pujols incident behind him. He has a small scar on the bridge of his nose. He had some sinus infections over the winter but feels confident that, with the help of antibiotics and an inhaler, those are over and done with.

Now it's back to pitching and competing. After all, that was his first instinct after being hit with the Pujols line drive and it's certainly his primary instinct now, as he prepares for the start of another season.
    "It gave me some perspective and motivated me," he said. "I wasn't going to let this injury get the best of me or be the defining moment of my career. That was one little incident in my career but I was able to jump back on the mound and was able to be a successful pitcher."

20. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    From Friar John's Blog:

Hot Links for Saturday, February 21

3B Kevin Kouzmanoff's shoulder is coming around after offseason surgery. ...

C Henry Blanco has reported to camp. ...

The Union-Tribune breaks down the pitching competition in camp. ...

OF Jody Gerut saw the slow free-agent market coming. ...

RHP Gabe De Hoyos pulled a hamstring. ...

Padres executive Paul DePodesta checks in from camp. ...

Tom Krasovic of the U-T blogs about the Fan Fest in Peoria today. ...

MLB.com Padres beat writer Corey Brock has more video and notes up on his blog. ...

RHP Greg Burke is on a media roll. First MILB.com profiles him, and now MadFriars provides a non-subscription scouting report. ...

The video board will be one of the highlights of the new ballpark for Single-A Fort Wayne. ...

As long as Tony Gwynn is the coach, we can get away with calling San Diego State stories Padres-related links. The Aztecs opened with a victory behind Stephen Strasburg's pitching.

Former Padres OF Xavier Nady is among the players who had money invested with the allegedly fraudulent Stanford Financial Group. ...

Former Padres RHP Doug Brocail has shoulder tendinitis. ...

The Tampa Tribune profiles former Padres INF Morgan Ensberg. ...

Compelling story here about former Padres minor league 1B Tagg Bozied. His wife has had a remarkable recovery after an auto accident.

FJ

• Posted on February 21, 2009 at 6:15 AM

21. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    From Friar Johns Blog:

Hot Links for Sunday, February 22:

New RHP Walter Silva will get a long look as a candidate for the starting rotation. ...

SS Luis Rodriguez is profiled. ...

RHP Kevin Correia is looking for a fast start. ...

Manager Bud Black has no critisms of RHP Mark Prior's delivery. ...

You're in for more info than you needed to know if you click this link about RHP Jake Peavy. ...

This spring will provide key experience for young RHP Mat Latos. ...

Tony Gwynn's San Diego State team fell to Southern in the Urban Invitational....:tdown:

The University of San Diego won the event. ...

Former Padres 2B Josh Barfield is adjusting to a utility role.

FJ

• Posted on February 22, 2009 at 9:39 AM

22. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    6-foot-6 Blanks has huge potential

By Tom Krasovic, SD Union-Tribune
    Monday, February 23, 2009

PEORIA, Ariz – When the Union-Tribune surveyed 10 baseball evaluators last month, 22-year-old first baseman Kyle Blanks emerged as the top Padres' prospect.

However, because he is blocked by Padres first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, scouts with other organizations said they expect the Padres to eventually trade Blanks.
    Blanks may be 6-feet-6 and 285 pounds, but it was another giant in the Padres' spring-training clubhouse that he acknowledged yesterday: Gonzalez may not be huge of stature, but he is an All-Star and Gold Glove winner cheaply under contract through 2011.

“It's always in the back of my mind,” said Blanks, who batted .325 with 20 home runs and 107 RBI last season in 132 games with Double-A San Antonio. “Any time someone asks me, 'Who do you play for?' they say, 'Oh, they have a good first baseman.' I say, “Yeah, he's good.'

“I can't worry about what (Gonzalez) is doing. I still have to play well. If he does well and I do well, I still have a chance to go somewhere. I still have to play well, too.”

Blanks is grateful the Padres employed him through last season, because he had access to hitting instructors such as Terry Kennedy and Tony Muser. Struggling to drive the ball early in the year, Blanks sought out Kennedy, who, along with Muser, the organization's hitting coordinator, advised Blanks to raise his bat more upright. Blanks said the adjustment led to greater comfort and boosted a slugging percentage that was at .514 by season's end.

Next, he'll spend most of spring training in major league camp to prepare for his first season at Triple-A Portland. If Gonzalez were to go onto the disabled list, Blanks might find himself at Petco Park, where he launched a home run for Single-A Lake Elsinore in 2007 in a California League exhibition game.

“I feel, at the first base position, if something does happen, I think I am ready,” Blanks said.

When evaluators with major league clubs discussed Blanks last month, the result was a lively debate.

Scouts tended to agree that Blanks will reach the majors, but some questioned whether his technique would hold up against better pitching.

They said that Blanks doesn't load his swing as many major leaguers do. He instead relies more on his exceptional strength. But Blanks' backers say his innate talents need to be taken into account. They respect his hand-eye coordination, reflected by a career .307 batting average and .393 on-base percentage.

“Me personally, I don't want to change something so drastically that it throws everything else off,” Blanks said. “For someone that might need a little more extra power, maybe (taking the hands back to 'load' the swing) that's something they might use. For me personally, I don't want to try to work on something that really doesn't need to be worked on and just mess everything else up.”

Because he is a large, selective right-handed hitter, Blanks has drawn comparisons to former hitting star Frank Thomas.
    When football coaches saw Blanks in high school, they envisioned him as a lineman or tight end, but during his freshman season, Blanks told one of the coaches that he wasn't interested.

“I just don't like football,” said Blanks, who attended high school in New Mexico. “There's more longevity in the game of baseball. I think I could have done well in football, but I saw some of my friends get hurt and come in with bruises every day.”

Drafted in 2005 by the Padres in the 42nd round out of Yavapai Junior College in Arizona, Blanks signed the following May for more than $300,000. He missed half of his first season because of an ankle infection, then rebounded to bat .301 with 24 home runs and 100 RBI for Single-A Lake Elsinore.
    A teammate of Blanks' last season, pitcher Will Inman said he has seen Blanks hit 450-foot home runs but also show exceptional bat control in “driving singles down the right-field line.”

The challenge ahead for Blanks will be to continue to combine bat control and power against pitchers who more apt to attack him with inside fastballs.

Blanks, for his part, aims to become both a player and a hitter of diverse skills.

“I just never wanted to be a prototypical big guy in any sense – like a base clogger,” said Blanks, who has a strong throwing arm and footspeed rated as close to average.

“I never wanted to be slow. I never wanted to be fast for a big guy. I just wanted to be fast. Same thing with hitting. If you can have the power numbers and the average, I'd rather work toward that than just, OK, well, I'm going to hit .240 and hit a lot of homers. I'd rather hit 20 bombs and hit .320 and help my team by getting on base more. Just in general, I try to be a more complete player, and average and power is part of that. I don't want to neglect either.”

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    This dude is huge; I saw him last season at SA. His biggest problem is the position he plays.

24. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    From Friar John's Blog:

Hot Links for Monday, February 23

RHP Chris Young has put that awful injury of 2008 behind him. ...

Utilityman Chris Burke figures to play fewer positions with the Padres than he did with the Diamondbacks, concentrating more on the middle infield. ...

2B David Eckstein plays hard. ...

1B Kyle Blanks keeps moving up the ladder...

Former RHP Greg Maddux's sense of humor was on display in Atlanta in the offseason. ...

Here's a piece on former 2B Marcus Giles attempting to revive his career. ... Here's the same topic from MLB.com.

FJ

25. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    From the blog,Who's your Padre?

Who is pitching and when?

I know, you're growing tired of dental reports, Minor League setbacks and video of guys taking hacks -- or just watching pitches -- in the batting cage. Hey, same here. That's the nature of things here.

But, alas, we'll have games to talk about Wednesday, when the Padres face the Mariners in their annual game for charity, a day before the real Cactus League play starts with these two teams at it again, also in Peoria.

Hitters are starting to round into shape here. They've been here a few days now, have done a fair share of hitting, against live pitchers and coaches, and appear to be regaining their form. Some guys, it takes longer. For some, it all comes back pretty quickly.

I have included some video below of these hitters, including newcomers Chris Burke and Dave Eckstein, from earlier today.

Also, here's a list of the pitchers the Padres will be using in their first three games this spring. Keep in mind that unless there's a, say, six-pitch inning, these guys will throw just one inning.

Wednesday vs. Seattle: Jake Peavy, Heath Bell, Cla Meredith, Chris Britton, Wilton Lopez, Mark Worrell, Scott Patterson, Mike Ekstrom and Oneli Perez.

Thursday vs. Seattle: Chris Young, Cesar Ramos, Justin Hampson, Joe Thatcher, Cesar Carillo, Edwin Moreno, Nick Schmidt, Arturo Lopez and Ernesto Frieri.

Friday at Cleveland: Che Seung Baek, Jae Kuk Ryu, Chad Reineke, Matt Buschmann, Mat Latos, Will Inman, Ivan Nova, Greg Burke, Gabe DeHoyos.

Cheers, Corey

26. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    From Friar Johns Blog:

Hot Links for Tuesday, February 24

RHP Mark Worrell deceives batters with his funky delivery. ...

It's audition time for new Padres RHP Walter Silva, who has been coached by former Padres LHP Sid Monge. ...

LHP Justin Hampson is among many candidates for long relief jobs. ... RHP Chris Britton is another. ...

RHP Cla Meredith became a political activist of sorts by lobbying to return pro baseball to Richmond, Va. ...
    MLB.com Padres beat writer Corey Brock has posted the pitching schedule for coming days. ...

The Padres are being careful with 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff. ...

The Single-A Fort Wayne TinCaps are hiring. ...
    Former Padres C Michael Barrett has caught Jake Peavy, Greg Maddux, Carlos Zambrano, Mark Prior, Pedro Martinez and now Roy Halladay. ...

Former Padres closer Trevor Hoffman says thank you to San Diego fans with a newspaper ad. ...

Former Padres farmhand Ray Chang surprised fans in Lakeland, Fla., with perfect English when they came seeking autographs from China's World Baseball Classic team.

FJ

27. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    From Who's Your Padre, Corey Brocks Blog:

Starting for your San Diego Padres

Hey, it's game time here in Arizona. The Padres face the Mariners in their annual charity game against the Mariners today at 12:05 p.m. PT. The lineups are included below.

CF Scott Hairston
    2B David Eckstein
    1B Adrian Gonzalez
    DH Kevin Kouzmanoff
    LF Chase Headley
    3B Edgar Gonzalez
    RF Will Venable
    C Nick Hundley
    SS Luis Rodriguez
    SP Jake Peavy

Other pitchers: Heath Bell, Cla Meredith, Chris Britton, Wilton Lopez, Mark Worrell, Scott Patterson, Mike Ekstrom and Oneli Perez.

What to make of it: I saw Edgar Gonzalez playing a little third base yesterday on the back fields which I thought was interesting, but only because he played four games there in 2008. But with the World Baseball Classic coming up, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a bit of him and Scott Hairston in the the lineup more often for this first week of games.

Cheers, Corey

Posted on February 25, 2009 at 8:22 AM

28. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Padres Exhibitions on TV

Friar John encourages all Padres fans to make a visit to Peoria. And not for the seemingly endless selection of chain restaurants in the area.

No, FJ wants fans to know that spring training is the best place to get close to the players and to interact. When there's an intersquad game, you can sit in bleachers right next to the dugout and hear the coaches coach and the team chatter. You can view BP from about six feet away from the cage (albeit through a chain-link fence). And if you're an autograph hound, you're in heaven.

That said, FJ understands that Peoria is a longer trip from San Diego than Yuma was, so the old day trip is probably out. Fortunately, technology has helped fill the spring gaps for baseball fans jonesing for Padres baseball.

The MLB Network will air 61 games this spring (45 of them live). The Padres will appear five times, starting Friday against the Cleveland Indians at Goodyear, Ariz. That telecast will be delayed to 2 p.m. PST.

Here are the Padres appearances on MLB Network:

Friday: Padres at Cleveland Indians, 2 p.m. (delayed)

March 7: Oakland Athletics at Padres, noon (live)

March 20: Padres at Chicago Cubs, 2 p.m. (delayed)

March 30: Padres at Cleveland Indians, 4 p.m. (live)

March 31: Milwaukee Brewers at Padres, 7 p.m. (live)

Channel 4 San Diego also has four telecasts scheduled:

March 7: Oakland Athletics at Padres, noon

March 11: World Baseball Classic team to be determined at Padres, 7 p.m.

March 14: Cleveland Indians at Padres, 1 p.m.

March 31: Milwaukee Brewers at Padres, 7 p.m.

MLB Network is picking up local telecasts on its spring airings. Not sure what that means in terms of cable blackouts for the duplicate games. Regardless, it's nice to see Padres baseball even if it's not the up-close-and-personal experience of Peoria.
    FJ

• Posted on February 24, 2009 at 4:27 PM

29. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Hot Links for Wednesay, February 25

It's game day for C Nick Hundley and the rest of the Padres. ...

Rehabbing 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff will play, but as DH. Edgar Gonzalez gets the call at third.

Three Padres are on Mexico's World Baseball Classic roster. ... OF Luis Durango will play for Panama. ...
    RHP Jake Peavy heads a talented U.S. pitching staff. ...

Luis Rodriguez is holding fort at shortstop, part of a new double-play combo. ...

RHP Mark Worrell is a YouTube hit, thanks to his unusual delivery. ...

RHP Cesar Carrillo had an encouraging mound session. ...

Former RHP Greg Maddux has wrapped up his week shadowing the Padres coaches. ...

The Peoria Sports Complex gets a glowing review from the Arizona Republic. ...

Moving to a new ballpark, the Single-A Fort Wayne TinCaps are doing well in ticket sales. ...

MadFriars talks with an expert from Baseball America about the Padres farm system. ...

Former Padres 2B Jerry Royster is managing in South Korea, and he still hasn't gone far enough to escape the subject of steroid use in the Majors. ...

Former 1B/OF John Kruk, whose bulk was natural and concentrated in his midsection, has no tolerance for those who used and those who ignored the problem. ...

Why did C Brad Ausmus limit his free agent choices to the Padres or Dodgers? "I wasn't going to travel thousands of miles from home just to extend my mediocre career," he says. ...

2B David Eckstein's brother Rick is hitting coach of the Nationals. ...

Might the Chargers move downtown and become next-door neighbors with the Padres? Channel 10 reports it has been discussed.

FJ

30. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    02/25/09 6:25 PM EST
    Peavy, Padres defense crisp in opener

Ace throws shutout frame; Friars get three DPs; Blanks wins it

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

PADRES 4, MARINERS 3 (10)
    at Peoria, Ariz.
    Wednesday, Feb. 25

Padres at the plate: Kyle Blanks won the game in the 10th inning with an RBI double. Leadoff hitter Scott Hairston, who figures to get a lot of at-bats before leaving to play for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic, had two hits and a walk before leaving the game.

Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a two-run home run to right field in the third inning. Adrian Gonzalez knocked in another run with a ground ball.
    [​IMG]
    Mariners at the plate: Rob Johnson tied the game with a solo home run in the ninth inning. Ronny Cedeno and Russell Branyan each had two hits, while Matt Tuiasosopo delivered an RBI triple in the second inning. The Mariners hit into three double plays and had a runner thrown out at the plate. Seattle loaded the bases in the eighth inning with one out but couldn't score.

Padres on the mound: Jake Peavy started and worked a crisp first inning, as he allowed one hit and got a double-play ball. New closer Heath Bell allowed two runs in his one inning, though he was hurt by a bloop single and a ball just out of the reach of new second baseman David Eckstein. San Diego pitchers were helped by three double plays and by Chase Headley throwing out a runner at the plate.

Mariners on the mound: In what more or less looked like a continuation of how he finished last season, pitcher Ryan Rowland-Smith looked sharp in two shutout innings, allowing two hits with a walk. Garrett Olson, obtained from the Cubs in the offseason, allowed three runs in one inning. Chris Seddon tossed two scoreless innings.

Cactus League records: Padres 0-0; Mariners 0-0.
    Up next: San Diego will face Seattle at 12:05 p.m. PT again on Thursday in the Cactus League opener for both teams. Chris Young will start for the Padres, while Felix Hernandez gets the call for the Mariners.

• Like Like x 1