1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres spring training, part deux.

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, Feb 23, 2007.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,867
  2. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    It's only a matter of time before Piazza starts showing his age. There's a reason he's being asked to DH.

That said, I would've liked to have him back, but Josh Bard showed that he's no slouch in his own right.

The only question with Bard is whether or not he can do it as the full time starter.

3. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    In Hawaii, these "technical difficulties" would be attributed to minehunes (mini-WHO-nees), the equivalent of gremlins, and the irish whaddayacallit!! :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Well, since there's a ST thread, this issa link to ST games bein televised on channel 4 in 'Dago!!:yes:

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    I dont expect much from the Paders this season. Their team seems to have a definate lack of power. Money ball isnt working in San Diego IMO.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That's ok, Bro, I'll drink enuff kool-aid for the both of us!! :tup:

If y'all can keep the negativity outta y'alls posts, at least til there's concrete proof that the Pads season is swirlin down the toilet, that'd be a plus...jes doan unnerstan why somma y'all feel ya jes hafta jump the gun and declare the season a disaster before the shootin starts. :no: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :icon_sad:

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    But they have an excellent pitching staff, which IMO is more important than hitting.

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Duh - leprechauns :icon_eek: :yes: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

Where's that DOH!! smilie when ya need it?? :icon_eek:

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    OTOH, pitcher's W/L record is over rated!! :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :unsure: :icon_twisted:

12. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    I think you have to have some type of offense. I mean, that is how you score runs. We had pitching last year. And we have pitching this year. Last year's playoffs, would you say the pitchers pitched pretty well? I would. But if you look at our offensive stats, they were horrible. We need hitting as well. This isnt football where defense can win you games by scoring points. Defense cant score points in baseball, they can hold opponents from scoring. Thats where offense comes into play. We need clutch hitters, hitters with power to drive the gaps. This could be a long season.

13. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Heres more stats..

Our best offensive player was AGonzo hitting .304, 24 homers with 82 RBI'S.
    Piazza hit .283...he's gone. Barfield hit .280...he's gone.

Postseason, only Dave Roberts hit the ball going 7 for 16. Gonzalez went 5 for 14 and Giles goes 4 for 14.

How can you be excited about this year if we didnt pretty much nothing to replace the departed? We bring in Giles, who is decent, and Kouz who is unproven. At this point, it doesnt seem to have much hope. True anything can happen, but at this point, doesnt look like much will. We do have a chance at the title this year, only because this division is again weak, but quickly improving. But we do not have a chance in the playoffs.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    "could" being the operative word :rolleyes:

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Because I'm a fan, not a woe is me wimp.

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    You have no way of knowing that, other than your own sky is falling, doom and gloom outlook.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    I would too, and I would say they have some type of offense. Hopefully it shows up in the playoffs this time, however.

And they were in the playoffs last year.

I wouldn't. Chris Young pitched good...they won that game. David Wells wasn't too bad, but didn't get any run support. Jake Peavy and Woody Williams, however, failed to produce.

Exactly. Had the offense done as decently well as they had all regular season the Padres would've had a chance to win. They, at least, would've won David Wells' game and had a chance in game 5.

Bolded for truth. That's what they need to do. If your pitching/defense can stop the other team from scoring then your offense only needs to score 1 or 2 runs. That is why pitching wins baseball games. The best hitters in baseball fail to hit the ball 7 times out of 10.

When I say "pitching wins baseball games" I am not, by any means, stating that you don't need offense to win.

Similarly, when someone says "defense wins championships" in regards to football, they also aren't saying you don't need an offense. If you didn't need an offense in football the Bears would've won the Superbowl and the Raiders wouldn't have lost 14 games.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    Khalil Greene needs to stay healthy, if he does he can produce.
    Look for Marcus Giles to bounce back now that he's not being asked to lead off.
    Adrian Gonzalez is still Adrian Gonzalez
    Josh Bard performed in limited starts/playing time last year
    Kevin Kouzmanoff was the best player in the entire minor leagues last year, we just have to hope it translates to the major league level.
    Mike Cameron gave us offense last year.
    Brian Giles will get on base at his usual rate.

The offense isn't spectacular, but with great pitching they can win.
    There are plenty of questions involved, though.

You blow off the pitching staff like it won't help at all. You think the team can't win unless they have a superstar calliber offense capable of scoring 5 runs a game. If your pitching staff only gives up 1-2 runs a game you only need to score 2-3 runs a game.

I'm not letting myself get overly excited because the offense can go either way with the number of questions involved. But if Kouz, M.Giles, and Bard produce at least decent numbers like they're capable of doing the offense should be fine.

Josh Barfield was decent last year...and unproven.

Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Barfield were "unproven" last year, they turned out fine.
    Furthermore, Kouz can't be any worse than the garbage they put at third base last year.

With this pitching staff the Padres have every chance in the playoffs.

Look what pitching did for the Cardinals in the playoffs last year.
    And before you tell me they have Albert Puljos, Pul-hoes forgot to show up for them last year. Their pitching won them the World Series.
    Don't believe me, look up the stats.

19. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    If you take the padres and put them in a different division, we wouldnt win back to back titles. The west is a weak division. Someone had to win it. The dodgers were mediocure. The giants, rockies, and Dbacks sucked. Compare this team to this years teams. Red Sox, Yankees, Cardinals, Cubs and you will not be to hopeful. Pitching does win games if we can scrap up a run or two. But that was hard in the playoffs. Our pitching did a decent job against the cardinals. ERA was 3.09, gave up 14 runs on 34 hits in 4 games. While the Cardinals somehow shut down the padres giving up 29 hits and only surrendering 6 runs in 4 games. Your not going to win many games scoring that total. Padres struck out 34 times. Obvious that our pitching is decent. Our hitting needs to be a big improvement to win a world series. Im hoping the padres turn it around, but I just dont see it being this year. Fine, go ahead and tease us again and win the division title. But after that, its hard to pick them to beat the elite teams in the league.

20. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Break down the stats,

The padres ave 1.5 runs in the playoffs while the cards ave 3.5. Your chances of winning while scoring only 1.5 per game are much smaller than 3.5. But I came across this shocking stat. During the 2006 season, the padres out produced their opponents in every catagory but homers (176 to 161). There were alot of games the padres could of won, including the playoffs that we didnt get that clutch hit. Thats our problem. Clutch hitting is part of our offense. My whole grip is that hit when we needed. I cant find this exact stat, Runners in Scoring Position ave. Can one of you guys find it.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    You're right. They failed to show up in the playoffs. I hope that's not the case this year, but I prefer to look at the 162 game season over the 4 games played in the playoffs when guessing how they'll be able to perform in the future.

Let's see what we get when we take out the Chris Young game, the one they won.

ERA jumps to 3.67, gave up 11 Earned runs on 29 hits in 3 games. And these stats include David Wells' good game.

They lost that game due to lack of run support, so let's look at the other two losses.

Jake Peavy gave up 5 ERs in 5.1 IP, Woody Williams gave up 4 ERs in 5.1 IP.

Those two games the team stats are: 4.50 ERA, gave up 9 ERs on 21 hits in 2 games.

Basically, they lost 3 games. 1 to lack of run support and 2 to lack of hitting combined with equally poor pitching.

Like I said, the pitching lost the series for us just as much as the lack of hitting did.

Like I said. The Cardinals won the World Series thanks mainly to their stellar pitching. Thanks for helping prove my point.

Which is why it's nice to have a pitching staff that can keep opponents to those type of numbers. Thanks, yet again, for proving my point.

If the Padres pitching pitches as good as the Cardinals did in the playoffs last year they will win the world series with the offensive lineup they have.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    I believe their RISP numbers were actually pretty good, but i'll look them up later.

The problem was they shut down come playoff time.

23. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Im sure the RISP numbers through the whole season as well as the playoffs were horrible.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
  25. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    And what does good Pitching do for you?

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    I was judging mainly off the batting average. .242 isn't too good.

Of course, I didn't compare that to any other team, so I don't know how that compares to other teams with RISP and 2 outs.

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Thats ok, I really don't care how they did compared toother teams, that BA w/ RISP and > 2 outs was purty damn good, I don't care what any one says. :yes: :tup:

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    Their BA with RISP and >2 outs is .000 because when there's >2 outs they're heading towards the dugout. :icon_tease:

30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Ya got me...sometime I'm so dumb my head hurts :icon_eek: :icon_sad::icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :yes: :icon_twisted: :icon_rofl: