1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Padres trade for Jim Edmonds

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, Dec 14, 2007.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
  2. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    This is good, atleast we will have someone there for the first 25 games. I hope cameron gets burnt. He really didnt impress me while he was here.

3. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    WTF is going on with this team?

We won't pay Bradley $5 million a year, but we will trade for a lesser player who makes $8 million a year? Cameron will miss the first 25 games this season, but Edmonds will miss a lot more than that this year if the past couple of seasons are any indicator. Of course, he's another year older, playing in a bigger park and one that's a lot harder to hit for power in. We now have $18 million this season in contracts for our pair of washed up 37 year old outfielders. That's over a quarter of our friggin payroll! What an utter and complete joke.

And for those thinking we'll win because of our pitching, don't look now but the D'Backs just traded for Haren.

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    I'm sure the Cardinals will be picking up some of that 8 mil

And Milton will be missing more than 25 games as well if we're going to automatically write future injuries in stone based off past injuries, making complaining about him moot.

5. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    The rumor I read was they were talking about picking up $1 million of his salary. Milton is also injury prone, but at this point he is a much, much better player than Edmonds and would have saved the team $3 million this season, along with a minor league prospect making it a very valid point.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    He's a good player but he's still old and injury prone
    and I somehow don't think that we couldn't have gotten Willits or McLouth or some young CF for something OTHER then Headley?

7. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I think you all are looking at the glass as half empty; Edmonds is a veteran playmaker, granted he is up there in age but who is to say he will have any injury's at all?

I think he is going to do alot in the way of bringing leadership in the clubhouse and is a good pick up IMO; have to see how it all pans out but I for one am happy he is a Pad///

:yes:

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    I think if we could have gotten Willits or McClouth without giving up Headley or Antonelli we would have gotten Willits or McClouth, but that's JMO

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Fair enough.

I don't know if 1 mil would have lured Milton back over or not, but if it would have I may actually agree with you.

As is, Edmonds for 1 year 7 mil isn't a bad deal as long as he stays healthy. (which isn't a sure thing, obviously)

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    btw, we gave up David Freese for him.

11. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I liked Bradley to a certain extent but throughout his career; he has never been able to get out of his own way.

I am happy bringing Jim on board; seen him making amazing catches for so long now can't help but to be excited... He also brings a good left handed bat; even though his numbers have fallen off as of late I think he will be clutch. Sometimes it doesn't take much to get a team over that hump; and we had a good squad last year.

Anyone know what we gave up as far as prospects to get him?

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    David Freeze
    A Ball 3B/C
    I kinda liked him as a future catcher

Ironically the Padre fans seem to be screaming that we gave up a top (?) prospect for an old CF and the Cardinal fans are screaming they gave up a gold glover with awesome production for just a prospect :lol:

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Nothing makes complaining/whining moot...it's a rite of passage.