1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Padres trade Hairston to A's

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by LV Bolt Fan, Jul 6, 2009.

1. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :icon_wtf:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...1942-hairston-dealt-s-pitching-prospe/?padres

Hairston dealt to A's for prospects
    By Bill Center
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    2:00 a.m. July 6, 2009
    Scott Hairston
    Scott Hairston was not surprised, but that didn't mean he wasn't stunned.
    The outfielder who had become the main source of protection for Adrian Gonzalez in the National League's worst offense, was traded yesterday afternoon to the Oakland A's for right-handed pitchers Ryan Webb and Craig Italiano and a player to be named later.
    The announcement came an hour after the Padres dropped a 7-6, 13-inning decision to the Dodgers at Petco Park.
    “This came out of the blue,” said an emotional Hairston in the Padres clubhouse after most of his teammates had boarded the buses headed for Lindbergh Field and the flight to Arizona for today's opener of a seven-game road trip.
    “Around this time of the year, you start thinking, 'What if.' I have to do my thing somewhere else. It's not what I wanted, but it's not for me to say.
    “It's hard to reflect on my time here. They gave me my chance. I've expressed that to (manager) Bud Black and (General Mmanager) Kevin Towers. I'll miss being here.”
    When the Padres acquired Hairston from the Diamondbacks on July 27, 2007, for right-handed reliever Leo Rosales, he was a part-time player whose playing time was eroding. His career was quickly rekindled with the Padres as he closed the 2007 season with eight homers in 87 at-bats with the Padres.
    Over the next two seasons, Hairston, 29, went from being a role player to platooning in center field with Jody Gerut to being an everyday player and the second-most feared bat in the Padres lineup. He was hitting .299 with 10 homers and 29 RBI for the Padres despite spending 16 games on the disabled list last month with a strained left biceps muscle.
    “Since Scott joined us, he'd developed into a good everyday player,” said Towers. “We really didn't want to give him up, but we needed some arms.”
    They got two directly, with one more to come by the end of July.
    Webb, 23, has appeared in 31 games (two starts) for Triple-A Sacramento this season, going 7-1 with two saves and a 4.34 ERA. Webb, who has 39 strikeouts against 15 walks, will join the Padres in Arizona today and be added to the major league roster. Webb has a 3.82 ERA out of the bullpen with 30 strikeouts and seven walks.
    Italiano, 22, will report to Single-A Lake Elsinore. He has made 16 starts for Single-A Stockton this season, going 5-6 with a 5.63 ERA. He is averaging 8.8 strikeouts per nine innings. Originally signed as a second-round selection in the 2005, Italiano has gone 14-16 with a 5.27 ERA in 62 games (48 starts) over parts of five minor league seasons in the A's organization (2005-09).
    But Towers said the “player to be named later” could be the key element of the trade for the Padres. Towers said the Padres can pick from two pitchers offered by the A's. The deal will be completed by the end of July.
    Towers said he almost traded Hairston to another team Saturday before the A's came in with a better offer.
    Hairston again opened this season platooning in center with Gerut, but became an everyday player just before the end of April after getting off to a .400 start with three homers in his first 40 at-bats.
    Since being acquired from Arizona, Hairston hit .270, with 37 doubles, five triples, 35 home runs, 80 RBI and 83 runs scored in 610 at-bats over 199 games.
    The trade of Hairston, who was making $1.25 million this season, means Tony Gwynn becomes the Padres' everyday center fielder. Gwynn had been playing in right when Hairston started in center.
    With Brian Giles on the disabled list, Will Venable and Edgar Gonzalez become the leading immediate candidates in right, although 22-year-old rookie Kyle Blanks has been taking flies in right the past three days.
    “It's easier going from left to right than first to left,” said Blanks.

Fu@k Kevin Towers,Bud Black and John Moores!

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    I've long since lost my patience with the Pissdres.

So I wonder what the plan is with these new "prospects". Have them squat in the minors for a few years then call them up to cleanup another 90 loss season. Discover one day that they are actually good and then immediately ship them off for younger prospects all over again?:tdown:

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The bottom line?

Trade mediocrity for mediocrity

It's the Padre way

:tdown:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,666
    this one sucked balls, the Padres are just trading people away for nothing - this was worse then the proposed peavy trade

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

They all do.

I had hopes with new ownership but it looks like the same old same old

:unsure:

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    The difference is we knew Hairston could play a little. The guy was hitting around .300, had good pop, and could play all the outfield positions plus some middle infield. Which is more than we can say for..........everyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I've seen this many many times before

There is NO difference

:tdown:

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    This is definitely worth getting pissed about.

Without Hairston the Padres playoff chances are devestated!

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Trading a decent OFer who would probably be a 4th OFer on most rosters is worse than trading a CY Young winner?

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I wonder if Adrian has some clause in his contract that if he hits so many Homeruns he gets so much more $$$$$$.

Without someone behind him to protect him, Adrain is not going to see as many good pitches, and his homerun production will drop.

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I wished they had a plan.

I don't care if they only want to spend a certain amount.

Just have a plan. AZ did it, the Marlins did it. why can't we?

:unsure:

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    This new owner will give us a competitive team, but its not going to happen over night. We have a lame duck owner in the middle of a messy divorce, and a new owner that can’t do anything.

I am not going to give up the ship, I can remember those 100 loss seasons.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I might be wrong, but I don't think baseball contracts allow for performance based clauses outside of innings pitched, games started, and plate appearances.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    What he said.

It's hard for Moorad to form a plan when he has little control right now, and Moores isn't going to care because he's working through the divorce and not going to have the team for that much longer.

Unfortunately, that leaves the team in a bit of a messy state of flux until Moorad takes full control.

All we can really hope for is that they don't screw up the draft in the process.

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no, I won't either but it sucks that the fans have to endure another 100 loss season without much hope of improvement in the foreseeable future

and what about the average joe season ticket holder? I feel even worse for him.

16. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Sign draft picks, invest in getting young talent is the way to go. Don't go after big free agents unless it pushes over the edge. That would be my plan, obviously that would require a better scouting team and quality front office personnel.

As far as Hairston the deal isn't that bad, it really is dependent on the PTBNL, who is supposed to be the prize in the deal.

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    :lol: They didnt have a chance WITH him. Still a bad trade though. We got more scrubs while Towers thinks he has a good eye for pitchers and he just doesnt. Most of them never pan out and WTF..one of those guys is 23 and still in A ball with a ERA well over 5

This team cant hit for **** and they trade the only other guy they have who can . With him the team was hitting .235. Maybe they can now sink to the mendoza line and set a record for worst hitting team ever.

Way to go KT.

18. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    When does that ever happen? :icon_shrug:

The prize is usually announced with the deal.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If the player is on the DL/injured. They may want to see how he recovers. Obviously it'll be some young guy with potential. Rumor is the guy is Sean Gallagher who's been great in the minors but hasn't done too well in the Majors but he's 23 and like I said has a lot of potential.

He's better than the other 2 pitchers.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Sarcasm meter broken?

Towers DOES have a good eye for pitchers. It's the only thing that keeps him from losing his job. (Not saying he should keep his job, simply stating that that eye is his bread and butter. It was his eye for pitching that kept the Padres and their inept offenses in the playoff hunt from 2004-2007)

Who do you think found Heath Bell hidden in the Mets' scrap heap?

What difference does it make? They're not going anywhere this year so why get upset that a bad team becomes worse?

I can see cricitizing the deal if you don't think the minor leaguers that come in return are that good, but I just can't fathom getting upset that a team trades a decent 4th OFer just because it makes the offense worse.

Oh NO! They might lose 105 games now instead of 101!!!!

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2008/08/11/daily9.html

The PTBNL was Micah Owings

Whether or not you think the return is worth them giving up Dunn is irrelevant, by the way. Just answering your question. The Reds' proverbial prize in the Dunn trade was a PTBNL.

22. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I'll give you Bell. :yes:

How'd he do on Walter Silva? :icon_shrug:

Who else would you put in "Towers eye for pitchers"? :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  23. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    our pitchers suck to

:lol:

24. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Kevin Towers sucked as a pitcher, too. :yes:
    Did he ever pitch in the major leagues? :no:

Towers and Black need to be fired! :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Chris Young
    Scott Linebrink
    Cla Meredith
    Rudy Seanez did well for us his last time here

I can go on, but why bother? You have to remember, we're not just talking about this year. Towers did a superb job building good pitching staffs over the past half decade while struggling to give us an offense.

Remember when the Padres were making or almost making the playoffs for 4 years straight? It wasn't the offense that was getting them there.

I'm not saying I want Kevin Towers to keep his job, I'm all for cleaning house, but you have to call a spade a spade. A good eye for pitching is what he is good at.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Billy Beane sucked as a player as well. I don't see how this is relevant.

27. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Big deal, he found one guy. There are many more that havent done squat. What happened to Tankersley who was supposed to be a stud for 10 years? Oliver Perez? Jesus we can name many more pitchers that he got that didnt pan out than we can that did. Towers SHOULD lose his job.

His alledged "bread and butter" for talent isnt very good. And no i dont think these pitchers are going to be either. Look at the crap bullpin he put together, and then when he does get some good arms he trades them all away.

28. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Dude, the Padres were a .500 ballclub when they went to the playoffs in those 3 years, not 4.. and went 3 and out. They sucked but only a worse division made them seem like they were good but they werent.

As for this:

Chris Young--Mediocre, inconsistant, should be traded away by next year
    Scott Linebrink--Didnt come through our system and had some good years and as usual, was traded away
    Cla Meredith-- He's ok, has 1 hold and 3 blown saves this year
    Rudy Seanez --didnt come up through our system but of course why keep him....he played well for us.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I can name a bunch of failed acquisitions from EVERY GM

and he put together one of the game's best bullpens for 4 years straight.

What team have you been following?

And let me repeat myself I'M ALL FOR TOWERS LOSING HIS JOB.

You can say a guy sucks at his overall job while admitting that he's good at one aspect.

It's not black or white.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Please get your facts straight then reenter the discussion.

There's so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin.

For starters, They actually only made the playoffs in 2 of those 4 years, but I said playoff contention, not playoffs.

Secondly, you seem to be attributing 2005 to all 4 years.

The Padres were .537, .506, .543, and .546 in the years in question.

Hint: They didn't win the division at 82-80 every year they were in playoff contention.

Thirdly, the NL West was the most competitive and one of the best divisions in baseball in 2006 and 2007, and is yet again this year. (minus the Padres and Snakes)

Just because it sucked 4 years ago doesn't mean it sucks every year.

Chris Young is a great pitcher. The guy has a career 3.87 ERA, 1.214 WHIP, and has taken countless no-hitters into the 9th inning. If that's your definition of mediocre I don't know what to say.

Who cares if he came through our system? Towers doesn't get credit for acquiring him if he doesn't draft him?

Cla has regressed, but was great for 2 of the years in question.

Once again, what does it matter whether or not he came up through our system?

The point is, Towers acquired him because he felt he would be useful for the year he acquired him.

And him being 40 years old might have something to do with not keeping him.