1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by TBF, Dec 6, 2007.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    So, the LA Dodgers singed one stud of a CF yesterday...

What do the Padres do to counter that...? Japanese stud ****dome would fit nice in either LF or CF...We would be a great 3 hole hitter as well. Rumor also has it that D Erstad was getting interst from the Pads. maybe we can get him at the "i've been injured a ton lately San Diego rate")....

Here is what Yahoo is saying about us and ****dome...

The Padres have offered Fukudome, 30, a four-year contract while the Cubs are waiting for confirmation that he is indeed coming to the U.S. The lefthanded hitter already has two offers from teams to remain in Japan.

Both signings would boost our D and our O...That coupled with adding Wolf would be huge.

TBF

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Fukudome has ONE offer from the Yomuri Giants, he doesn't have two. He used to have technically three; one from the Giants and two separate offers from his old team, the Chunichi Dragons - a one year big money deal and a four year deal. The dragons pulled those offers a few weeks ago. So now its the Y.Giants, the Padres and the Cubs

3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    F Erstad

Please trade Brian Giles to the Yanks for Robinson Cano and who is FUdome?

4. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    The only thing we have this year is pitching. They will or have offered Bradley a one year deal. We have holes at 2nd base and in LF. Maybe BB would be the best bet for whats left in FA. Expect another disappointing year from a patched up team.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,869
    Please tell me you're joking

(I say that not in the sense that I wouldn't do that trade in a heartbeat, but in a sense that that is a highly unrealistic trade proposal.

You may as well suggest we trade Hairston for Johan Santana next.)

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    I love how people write the team off in December.

The Padres had the 3rd best record in the National League last year.

It only sucked for them that the two teams with a better record played in the same division.

7. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    We also have a hole in CF Tboltzcali... I think the fukudome deal will get done.

TBF

8. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Im sure it will be either cameron, bradley or Dome. The padres will not compete with the talent the dbacks and rocks have. Especially if we expect the old man to close the doors for us this year again. Hoffman isnt what he used to be and thats gunna be a major disappointment when he comes in and blows more games this year than in any. I look for Bell to replace him. Our pitching will be there again this year, but look at our lineup

1b Gonzo
    2b ?
    3b Kouz
    ss Greene
    Lf Bradley?
    Cf ?
    Rf Giles

This lineup will not get it done. We just dont have the talent and the money to contend with everyone else.

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    While i do think its unlikely, it certainly isnt as ridiculous as your scenario.I know you were exagerrating by posting that trade but at least Giles is a starter and has been a houshold name. Hairston has done nothing in his career..
    Giles is just way older than Cano but....Cano has been in trade talks with them before and Yankee stadium has a short right field.
    Maybe Giles could get 20-25 homers there but in Petco he has no power at all.

Cano isnt a big name guy yet.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    Of course it won't get it done.

There's blank spots in two key positions there.

How about we wait to see who the team puts in those spots before we start writing the team's chances off? :icon_shrug:

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    It's not as ridiculous as that scenario, no, but it's as likely to happen.

12. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    No one that they are after will give them a chance to win a series ring.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    Their pitching alone gives them a shot at the playoffs...which is a shot at the World Series ring.

They're looking like the favorites for Fukudome right now.

Of course, we don't know how he'll translate to the majors....or if he'll even come to the majors.

14. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Just reported that he will join the majors. We have holes at C, 2b, CF, LF. These arent just patchem up and play positions. We need talent there. Doesnt look good yet.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    Josh Bard is not a hole

Hairston could do a good job in LF if they find a good replacement for CF (hopefully Fukudome)

2B could very well go to Antonelli.

Of course it'd remain to be seen how he translates to the majors as well, but he's been great in the minors thus far.

16. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Uh oh, Bradley gunna sign with the Rangers. Leaves our options short. Not looking good.

17. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    We could be in serious outfield trouble here:

We lost Bradley. Rumor has it that the Cubs are offering a fair amount more for Dome than the Padres are. Cameron is mulling offers from other clubs as well as the Padres and happens to live in Atlanta who just lost Jones. Giles says he'll be back by the start of the season but is 37 and coming off a pretty radical surgery that has sidelined a lot of NBA players for an entire year.

I realize that the offseason is a LONG way from over, but the lineup of Scott Hairston, Paul McAnulty and Jason Lane as our outfield is just scary.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    It's from the SDUT, so take it for what it's worth.

For the record, I'd be willing to bet that in the highly unlikely event that the Padres do not acquire a single outfielder this offseason the OF would be Hairston-Lane-Headley (before Giles returns from injury)

Not that that'd be much better, just what it'd probably be.

19. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Fukudome signed with the Cubs today.

What a joke.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3151599

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Looks like the WLBs are getting an earlier start than last season. At least they (he) waited til two weeks before spring training.

Guess they're tryinta avoid the Christmas rush :lol:

22. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I wouldn't write the Pads off yet, we had a good squad last year just fell short, granted we do need to get a real quality signing for our CF, it was a glaring weakness in the one game playoff and half-assing it just won't cut it.

Don't know much about the signing of the Japanese player that we got for second but may be a good pickup, I think the addition of Wolf will work out pretty well too.

Black is a good manager and showed that he has no qualms making moves to get this squad wins on paper the Dodgers are stacked, but getting all together is a different story. We will be in the mix all year, but our outfield definitely needs a boost.