1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pads Win!! Pads Win!! Pads Win!!

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Apr 9, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I know, maybe there won't be many but I'm gonna try to celebrate every last one!!!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290409125

SAN DIEGO -- Adrian Gonzalez's solo homer started a three-run rally in the eighth inning that carried the San Diego Padres to a 4-3 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday.

Closer Heath Bell got out of a jam in the ninth and the Padres salvaged a split of an opening, four-game series against the defending NL West champion Dodgers.

The Dodgers had been working on a combined three-hitter before Gonzalez's one-out, opposite-field homer Will Ohman off the facade of the second deck in left-center pulled San Diego to 3-2. It was Gonzalez's first.

Cory Wade (0-1) relieved Ohman and retired Chase Headley for the second out before Gonzalez's older brother, Edgar, tripled into the gap in left-center. Gonzalez scored the tying run on Nick Hundley's single, and Hundley scored the go-ahead run when Luis Rodriguez doubled to right-center.

After starting the season with 11 1-3 scoreless innings, the Dodgers' bullpen was the last in the big leagues to surrender runs.

Cla Meredith (1-0) pitched a scoreless eighth for the win. Bell got out of trouble in the ninth for his second save in as many chances.

Bell allowed Orlando Hudson's leadoff triple, then retired Manny Ramirez on a grounder to shortstop. Bell then walked Andre Ethier before getting Russell Martin to hit into a game-ending double play.

Ramirez went 0-for-3 with two walks.

With the game tied at 1 in the sixth and runners on second and third, L.A.'s Matt Kemp hit a hard one-hopper that ate up third baseman Edgar Gonzalez, who was making a spot start in place of Kevin Kouzmanoff. The ball deflected off Gonzalez and into shallow left-center, allowing Andre Ethier and Russell Martin to score.

Ethier and Martin were aboard on consecutive one-out singles.

Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw held the Padres to one run and two hits in five innings while striking out six and walking four.

Kevin Correia made his debut with San Diego, allowing three runs and five hits in six innings. He struck out five and walked four.

Correia had a shaky third inning, loading the bases on a single and two walks before walking Andre Ethier with two outs to force in the Dodgers' first run.

The Padres finally broke through against the lefty Kershaw in the fifth inning. David Eckstein, who doubled for San Diego's first hit in the third, singled to bring in Luis Rodriguez. Rodriguez was aboard on the second of his three walks.

Game notes
    With L.A.'s Rafael Furcal getting the day off, Blake DeWitt made his first professional appearance at SS. DeWitt was drafted as a SS in 2004 but was immediately switched to 3B. DeWitt did appear at SS in 10 spring training games, playing 47 innings. ... Fernandomania began 28 years ago Thursday, when Fernando Valenzuela was pressed into service for the Dodgers on opening day when scheduled starter Jerry Reuss pulled a calf muscle. Valenzuela, now a Dodgers broadcaster, was an instant success, throwing a five-hitter to beat the Houston Astros 2-0. Valenzuela pitched for San Diego from 1995 until being traded to St. Louis during the 1997 season.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I concur!!!:icon_banana:

04/09/09 6:49 PM ET
    Padres rally to split opening series

Rodriguez's RBI double caps three-run comeback in eighth

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- Luis Rodriguez knocked in the go-ahead run with an RBI double as part of a three-run eighth inning as the Padres rallied for a 4-3 victory over the Dodgers before a crowd of 29,710 at PETCO Park.

Adrian Gonzalez started the scoring for the Padres in the inning with his first home run of the season off Cory Wade (0-1).

Later in the inning, Nick Hundley knocked in the tying run with a single to left field before Rodriguez scored Hundley from first base with a double in the gap in right-center.

The Padres (2-2) and Dodgers (2-2) split their season-opening four-game series. Cla Meredith (1-0) got the victory in relief for the Padres.

Matt Kemp's two-run single in the sixth inning broke a tie and gave the Dodgers a 3-1 lead. Kemp drilled a hanging breaking ball from Padres pitcher Kevin Correia right at third baseman Edgar Gonzalez that he couldn't corral, as the ball spun into left field. It allowed two runs to score.

Los Angeles pitcher Clayton Kershaw allowed one run over five innings with four walks and six strikeouts. He was in line for the victory before the Padres rallied to tie the score.

Correia, in his Padres debut, allowed three runs on five hits with four walks and five strikeouts in five innings. The Padres got their first run in the fifth inning on a two-out, RBI single by David Eckstein, his second hit of the day.

Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Plus, except for Mujica, my bullpen has a 0.00 ERA so far!!!:tup:

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Great game; Vin Scully was stunned :yes: :tup:

4. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I miss three things about the Dodger Blue

Don Drysdale

Sandy Koufax

and

Vin Scully

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Does it matter that I burned a Dodger shirt last year?

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    too bad it wasn't on tv (at least here in TJ where we get the cox 4 brodcast)

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290410125

SAN DIEGO -- Scott Hairston always seems to have big games against the San Francisco Giants.

Hairston made a leaping catch against the wall in left-center, then hit a three-run homer to highlight the San Diego Padres' 7-3 win against Barry Zito and the Giants.

There were two rarities at Petco Park Friday night -- a 51-minute rain delay and the Padres popping above .500.

Coming off a big comeback win over the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Padres got another big team effort.

"Not unlike yesterday, you can point to a lot of guys who had a big part in this game," manager Bud Black said.

Hairston hit his 10th career homer against the Giants.

"It happens, man. I really can't say. It's just been working out that way," Hairston said. "I don't prepare any different when the Giants come into town."

With the Padres leading 4-2 with a runner on first and none out in the eighth, Hairston, the left fielder, made a nice leaping catch of Bengie Molina's fly ball near the top of the fence in left-center.

"He's the type of guy, when the game's on the line, he's going to drive the ball somewhere," Hairston said. "I was thankful that it stayed in the park tonight. I think it was right at the top of the wall. It could have gone either way. I know I didn't bring it back, that's for sure. I know it would have been at least a double off the wall if I didn't catch it."

In the bottom of the inning, Hairston hit a three-run homer to center off Merkin Valdez.

It's the first time the Padres (3-2) are above .500 since they were 8-7 last April 16. San Diego finished 63-99 last year, 21 games behind the NL West-winning Dodgers.

Shawn Hill (1-0) won his Padres debut while Zito (0-1) lasted only four innings in his first start of the season.

A light rain turned into a downpour by the bottom of the fifth inning. With it raining off and on, the umpires ordered the teams off the field after the bottom of the sixth.

Zito, who is 21-31 with the Giants since signing a $126 million contract in December 2006, gave up four runs and seven hits. He threw 93 pitches, striking out four and walking two.

The Padres jumped on Zito for three straight hits, including Giles' RBI double, to take a 3-0 lead in the first. Adrian Gonzalez's groundout and Kevin Kouzmanoff's single brought in the other runs.

"I was fired up a little bit and wanted to come out and get that first inning going," said Zito, who grew up in San Diego. "It's frustrating because I felt great tonight. I felt good in the pen. I've come a long way from last year and battled hard tonight. But I'm optimistic that I'll be back out there next Thursday being in control of myself."

San Francisco's Emmanuel Burriss walked leading off the third and scored on Randy Winn's single.

San Diego made it 4-1 in the fourth when Giles singled in David Eckstein, who was aboard on a two-out double to left.

The Giants had four straight hits opening the sixth inning to chase Hill, but scored only one run. Molina hit a flare single to right for the third hit to bring in Edgar Renteria, who was aboard on a leadoff double. Pablo Sandoval singled to right to load the bases and chase Hill. Luke Gregerson came on and got Travis Ishikawa to ground to first baseman Gonzalez, who threw home to force Fred Lewis with catcher Nick Hundley throwing back to Gonzalez to complete the double play. Aaron Rowand struck out to end the threat.

"That's the turning point in the game," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "We had them on the ropes with good hitters up there and they got out of it."

Hill was signed during spring training, five days after being released by the Washington Nationals. He allowed two runs on seven hits in five innings, with three strikeouts and a walk.

Game notes
    There have been only 16 rainouts in 41 seasons of big league ball in San Diego. The most recent was April 4, 2006, against the Giants. ... There was a 29-minute rain delay last May 23 during a game against the Cincinnati Reds. ... The last two NL Cy Young Award winners will be pitching this weekend at Petco Park. Padres ace Jake Peavy, the 2007 winner, is scheduled to start Saturday night against Jonathan Sanchez, while San Francisco ace Tim Lincecum, last year's winner, faces Chris Young on Sunday. Peavy lost his opening day start to the Dodgers on Monday, while Lincecum struggled Tuesday in a win over Milwaukee, making it through just three innings. ... San Diego's three new starters -- Walter Silva, Kevin Correia and Hill -- have a combined 3.93 ERA through their first starts.

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no, those days we're before the Padres were the Padres

I hate the Dodgers

:tup:

9. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Last year my youngest son played on the Lakeside American Jr. Caps Dodgers Little League Team, and I was one of the asst. coaches. We had to wear the shirts to be one the field, League Rules. Because I was only there on the field when I could get away from work, the League only provided shirts and hats to the "full time" staff. In other words to be on the field with the kids, I had to buy a Dodger shirt and hat.

I was lost.

I don’t know how to buy that stuff.

I didn’t know if they changed sizes or anything.

When I first tried the shirt on and looked in the mirror, I was horrified, I thought I had died and gone to well you know.

We got through that season, and it was really hard to get all the kids together and yell "Go Dodgers". It was even worse to tell those poor kids to be loud and proud when they yelled it.

It was pure agony for 5 Months.

Then at the team party, all the coaches got together and we burned those shirts and hats, then we used that flame to start the barbeque, it was the best danged burgers and dogs I have ate in a very long time.

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    foogin dodgers Team Report Apr 11, 2009

The foogin dodgers will place right-hander and opening-day starter Hiroki Kuroda on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a mild strain of his left oblique, a move that was mostly precautionary for a condition that isn't believed to be serious.

Kuroda pitched 5 2/3 solid innings in Monday's season-opening win at San Diego. But he felt discomfort in his left side while throwing his normal side session Wednesday and was immediately sent back to Los Angeles to see team physician Dr. Neal ElAttrache on Thursday and undergo an MRI, which showed nothing out of the ordinary.

Kuroda rejoined the team in Arizona Friday and tried to throw again before batting practice, only to feel the same discomfort. ...

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Hairston does it with bat and glove to lead Padres

By Tom Krasovic (Contact) Union-Tribune Staff Writer

10:49 p.m. April 10, 2009

[​IMG]
    Scott Hairston clubs a three-run home run in the bottom of the eighth inning. - John R. McCutchen/Union-Tribune

Scott Hairston slays Giants. His bat makes Petco Park look small. Even from a muddy track, he jumps high. Next he will leap tall buildings in a single bound.

OK, he's an extra outfielder for the Padres, but Hairston's good moments tend to be really good, and he supplied several Friday night in a 7-3 win over the Giants at rain-soaked Petco Park.

Hairston rifled a 417-foot, three-run home run to blow the game open 7-2 in the eighth, one half-inning after he preserved a 4-2 lead by snaring Bengie Molina's drive high up the wall in left-center.

Hairston also singled and scored to trigger a three-run outburst in the first and notched the team's first stolen base of the season after singling in the fifth.

His homer was his 15th in 256 at-bats at Petco, making him Babe Ruth compared to many hitters. “I don't mind it,” he said when asked about hitting here. “I think having the home crowd behind you motivates you. I love the city. It's good to be here.”

Molina beat the Padres at Petco last year with a home run off Trevor Hoffman, but he couldn't believe that his eighth-inning bolt ended up in Hairston's glove Friday night. Molina, hands on helmet afterward, acted like he assumed that his drive off Duaner Sanchez would go for a two-run homer to tie the score 4-4.

“I thought it had a good chance (of being a home run),” Hairston said. “I think he figured it was gone. Everybody knows you have to really get it to get it out here, especially to left-center. So, you either run into the wall or it goes over it. I know it would have been at least maybe a double off the wall.”

No less impressive at repulsing the Giants was reliever Luke Gregerson, who kept the score at 4-2 after entering with the bases loaded and none out in the sixth.

“Luke was absolutely huge,” said the chief beneficiary of the escape, Padres starting pitcher Shawn Hill, who won in his season debut.

Taking advantage of three quick runs scored against Barry Zito, Hill, the Nationals castoff who signed with San Diego in March for $500,000, became the fifth Padres starting pitcher in five games to give up three earned runs or fewer. He took a 4-1 lead into the sixth and then was ousted by four consecutive hits, three of which were well-struck.

Enter Gregerson, one of two pitchers acquired in the Khalil Greene trade. His first batter, No. 6 hitter Travis Ishikawa, was in Triple-A last season while Gregerson was posting a 3.35 ERA for the Cardinals' Double-A club. The count reached 1-1, and Ishikawa pulled a ground ball to first baseman Adrian Gonzalez.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy said in November that he voted for Gonzalez for the Gold Glove last year partly because Gonzalez throws so well. True to reputation, Gonzalez zinged the rain-slick baseball to catcher Nick Hundley, who returned a strike to complete a double play.

Gregerson then struck out Aaron Rowand on three pitches. Gregerson put down a sacrifice bunt later in the inning, then was denied a second inning by rain that delayed the start of the seventh by 51 minutes.

“After a delay like that you sometimes get lackadaisical,” Hairston said, “but we stayed loose in the clubhouse, and I'm glad how the last couple of innings went.”

The victory was the team's third in four games since the loss to the Dodgers on Opening Day. Hairston is among the holdovers who likes the new vibe.

“It feels real good, especially this early,” he said. “We know we have some potential to manufacture runs. We're going to come out every night to compete, we know that.”

WHO'S HOT

Scott Hairston: Three-run homer caps a great eighth inning. In the top of the eighth, Hairston robbed Bengie Molina of an extra-base hit with a leaping catch at the fence in left-center. He finishes 3-for-5 with a homer and three RBI and also steals the Padres' first base of the season.

WHO'S NOT

Barry Zito: Most expensive No. 4 starter ($126 million for seven years) in baseball gives up four runs on seven hits in four innings.

BY THE NUMBERS

1.69: Padres' bullpen ERA, the lowest in the National League.

3.93: Combined ERA of Padres' three new starting pitchers (Kevin Correia, Walter Silva and Shawn Hill).

500: Multi-hit games in Brian Giles' career.

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Why is that Idiot (Bud Black) pulling Jake Peavy? I can't wait until Black, Towers and Giles are gone.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Turned out horribly.

I see what you mean.

Too bad he pulled him for Heath Bell.

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290411125

SAN DIEGO -- Jake Peavy and Henry Blanco were a powerful combination for the San Diego Padres on Saturday night.

Peavy struck out 10 in 8 1/3 innings and Blanco homered twice, leading San Diego to a 6-3 win over the San Francisco Giants.

Blanco helped power the San Diego offense with two solo drives but it was the way the catcher worked with Peavy that had the Padres talking.

"Henry is as good as anybody I've been with about getting in the game and doing what we talked about," Peavy said. "I spend a lot of time talking to Henry a lot about what I wanted to do to be successful."

Whatever the pair talked about worked against the Giants. Although Peavy said he did not have his best stuff, he held the Giants in check, taking a five-hitter into the ninth inning.

"He was outstanding," Blanco said. "His breaking stuff was working pretty good, he was aggressive. He kept pounding the strike zone all night."

Peavy (1-1) allowed three runs and seven hits. The 2007 NL Cy Young Award winner was sharper than in the season opener on Monday when he got the decision in a 4-1 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers, crediting a change he made in throwing his slider.

"I started throwing a little more of a slurve," he said. "I was taking a little bit off it because I don't want to throw everything at the same speed."

Manager Bud Black has anointed Blanco as Peavy's personal catcher, noting the great communication between the pair.

"Both guys are in synch, and it is something we started seeing at the end of spring training," Black said. "Henry is getting to know Jake. He does all the things that a pitcher looks for."

Adrian Gonzalez helped break open the game with a bases-loaded double in the fifth and finished with three RBIs.

Blanco tied his career high with two drives off Jonathan Sanchez (0-1), the second one leading off the fifth to break a 1-all tie. Gonzalez added a two-out, three-run double in the inning to knock Sanchez from the game and give the Padres a 5-1 lead.

"I got a couple of pitches to hit," Blanco said.

The win gave the Padres a 4-2 record, matching their high mark for games over .500 from last season when it happened five times early on, the last coming on April 15 when San Diego was 8-6.

Peavy, who gave up four runs -- three earned -- in seven innings against the Dodgers, was more consistent as he worked quickly through the San Francisco lineup. Peavy retired the first nine batters before Randy Winn's leadoff double in the fourth.

He left after Fred Lewis' RBI double with one out in the ninth drove in Winn, who led off with an another double. Winn finished 3-for-4 and scored two runs.

"I wanted to finish it," Peavy said. "I didn't have great stuff so I had to battle."

Heath Bell got the final two outs for his third save.

"We're facing one of the better pitchers in the game, but I thought our guys battled," San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said. "We got three runs and you don't expect to score a lot off Jake."

Sanchez started strong by striking out five of his first six batters. He then allowed a homer to Blanco leading off the third.

Sanchez allowed five runs and four hits, walked five and struck out seven.

"I was getting ahead until the fifth inning and I just lost my release point," Sanchez said. "I got behind guys, and I walked a guy, and [Gonzalez] got the big hit."

San Francisco scored its first run in the fourth after a mistake by Blanco.

After Winn led off with a double and moved to third on a single by Edgar Renteria, Black called for a pitchout with Lewis batting.

Renteria took off from first as Peavy delivered the pitch to Blanco. The catcher never looked over at Winn, but instead snapped a throw to Gonzalez at first base. When Blanco threw the ball, Winn took off for home and scored easily as Renteria got caught in a rundown before being tagged out.

The Giants scored in the seventh on Bengie Molina's sacrifice fly after Lewis' leadoff triple.

Game notes

Although Peavy is 12-8 in his career against the Giants, he had lost five of eight starts coming in, including both starts last season. ... Blanco has homered twice in a game three times, the last coming on April 10, 2004, at Detroit. ... Gonzalez received his Gold Glove award from last season. ... This series features the past two NL Cy Young Award winners with Peavy, the 2007 recipient, and last season's winner, Tim Lincecum, scheduled to start for San Francisco on Sunday.

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and if you look at it from the other point, if Jake would of gotten racked, how many would of said, "why didnt he pull him"

He had a lead, and getting the win is more important than getting a complete game.

16. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Jake was fine. I don't trust the bullpen.

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Barry Zito has lost his last 10 starts

he was 10-17 last year

18mil per year, losses 1/3 of his games, I'd say that's about

1.6 million per loss

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Good job Barry, maybe you could take over one of the car makers

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

Right now we are 4 and 2 and in 1st place, so that bullpen has been doing something right. They were supect during the preseason, but then wasnt everyone.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Despite their current small sample size of success I don't blame you for being weary of the bullpen in general, but Heath Bell is one of the few you have no reason to distrust.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Padres win again. [​IMG]

21. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Hot damn! First Place!!

Young leads Padres to sweep

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090412&content_id=4236982&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

SAN DIEGO -- Chris Young allowed just four hits and one unearned run in seven innings and batterymate Nick Hundley had four hits as the San Diego Padres completed a three-game sweep of the San Francisco Giants with a 6-1 victory Sunday at PETCO Park.

The victory was the fourth in a row for the Padres and marked the first time since 1998 that they had started a season 5-2. The Giants have lost three in a row and are 2-4 on the season.

National League Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum (0-1) gave up 10 hits and four runs in 5 1/3 innings for the Giants. He had held the Padres scoreless over his last 24 innings and had given up just one run in 23 1/3 innings over his last three outings at PETCO Park.

Chase Headley hit his second home run in two days, a two-run homer with Adrian Gonzalez aboard that capped a two-out, three-run rally by the Padres in the third inning.

Young (2-0) was perfect through four innings before giving up a leadoff single to Bengie Molina in the fifth. Molina scored the Giants' lone run in that fifth inning when left fielder Headley bobbled a single by Eugenio Velez allowing the Giants catcher to score. Hundley had a chance at becoming the first Padres player to hit for the cycle after getting a single, double and triple in his first three at-bats. However, he had to settle for a fourth hit, an RBI single in the seventh when the Padres scored two more runs.

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_toast:

23. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    The Padres have the BEST bullpen in the NL to this point! :icon_toast: The lowest ERA...

• Like Like x 1
  24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

Do you still feel the same now?

We just swept the Giants, and that bullpen was a major factor in that sweep.

25. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Lets Go Padres:D

26. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    That Gregerergeregson guy is doing ok :tup:

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yup!! :icon_toast:

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    OK, who is playing with voodoo dolls! :icon_evil:

:icon_tease:

29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I've all ready told you. Last year I was on the Dodgers as a Coach and my youngest was a player. It sent the whole universe into a downward spiral that has now recovered. Why just look at the economy and Dow Jones and Wall Street.

At the team party, I burned that shirt, but the damage had all ready been done.

This year we are on the Padres, and we have those kids playing like there is no end, and we are in the chase for 1st Place!

It’s my entire fault!

30. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Yep.