1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pads Win!! Pads Win!! Pads Win!!

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Apr 9, 2009.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Hard to predict what will happen in the future with new ownership and all.

2. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +297
    Look at the plus side...the Pads are at least better than the Nationals, who I have to watch every single day... :tdown:

Yeah, I know it's like comparing dog poop to horse apples...

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Give him time to evaluate all sides of this team. From the front office, scouts, coaches, and to the players. The Diamond Backs were becoming a force once again.

So everything is not going to happen over night, we are in this for the long haul!

4. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    05/20/09 12:37 AM ET
    Behind two homers, Young tops Giants:icon_banana:

Hairston, Hundley go deep; starter goes six strong

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- Chris Young allowed one run over six innings, and Nick Hundley and Scott Hairston hit home runs to lead the Padres to a 2-1 victory Tuesday over the San Francisco Giants before a crowd of 16,175 at PETCO Park.

Young (3-2) allowed the leadoff hitter to reach base in the first four innings, but didn't allow a run until the sixth inning when Emmanuel Burris had an RBI groundout.

Young allowed five hits, walked three and struck out six.
    San Francisco starting pitcher Barry Zito (1-4) allowed two runs on five hits in eight innings, walking four and striking out two.

Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

5. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    well it looks like I will be able to make my first Padres game this Sunday, gonna get the kid a batting helmet, then let him run around the bases after the game.

6. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    05/21/09 2:22 AM ET
    Bell helps Padres snag fifth straight victory:tup:

Closer's barehanded grab draws raves; Gaudin gets first win:icon_banana:

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- Saves aren't the only things Padres closer Heath Bell is accumulating at a dizzying rate these days. Apparently he's pretty good at picking up style points as well.

Bell picked up his 11th save in as many chances Wednesday as San Diego topped the Giants, 2-1, at PETCO Park, though the praise that came his way afterward weren't for any of the 13 pitches he threw.

Instead, Bell, who hasn't allowed a run this season in 17 innings, was applauded for his barehanded, do-or-die play he made on an Emmanuel Burriss topper in front of the plate, which was good for the second out of the ninth inning.

"I'm a tough judge of defense, but I give that a 9.75," Padres manager Bud Black said of the play that helped the team inch one out closer to its fifth consecutive victory. "That was a hell of a play."

Third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff, no stranger to barehanded plays himself, did Black one better.
    "That was awesome; from 0 to 10, I would rate it a 10," said Kouzmanoff, who hit a tiebreaking home run in the fourth inning that stood up. "You've got a fast runner and if he gloves that ball, I think he's [Burriss] safe."

Yes, these are heady times for the Padres (18-22), who, after going 0-6 on a road trip, in the last 10 days have now swept the Reds and secured, at the very least, a series victory over the Giants (19-20).

They've done it with strong pitching, from the starters to the bullpen. This is a team that went nearly a month without a victory from a starting pitcher. Now, the Padres have gotten victories from Jake Peavy, Chris Young and, on Wednesday, Chad Gaudin.

"I've seen guys getting ahead in the count, throwing strikes and putting guys away," Black said.

For Gaudin (1-3), in his first start at PETCO Park, this game was generally an early walk compared to what he endured five days ago at Wrigley Field when he walked seven in an 11-3 loss to the Cubs.

Gaudin allowed one run in six innings and did walk four, but, like Young did Tuesday, was able to pitch his way out of trouble. He did so by keeping the ball down in the strike zone, getting 10 groundouts.

"Early in the game it was fine, but late in the game it got a little spotty," Black said. "When you walk a guy or two, it becomes critical that you get those next batters out."

The same holds true for pitchers in the bullpen, and the three relievers the Padres threw at the Giants -- rookies Greg Burke and Luke Gregerson and Bell, the first-year closer -- did their part after Gaudin left after six innings and 102 pitches.

Burke tossed his third scoreless inning since being recalled last week from Triple-A Portland and allowed one hit in the seventh inning. Second baseman David Eckstein might have saved a run with a diving play that inning on Pablo Sandoval's ball up the middle.

Gregerson followed by working a scoreless eighth inning, including getting a strikeout on a wipeout slider he threw to Randy Winn.
    Finally, Bell, entered the ninth inning and got Travis Ishikawa looking at a called third strike on a curveball.

Then he got Burriss on the topper, a play that proved tough since Burriss can run and was coming out of the box from the left-hand side.
    "I thought to myself, I have to catch it and throw it [at once]," Bell said. "I did not want to throw it down the line. Eck said he jumped 20 feet in the air. I might watch the replay, not for the throw but for Eck jumping."
    Offense was again at a premium for the Padres and Giants, who played their second 2-1 game in as many nights.
    The Padres managed two hits off Giants starter Jonathan Sanchez (1-4), who allowed the two runs in six innings. Three relievers combined to allow the other two hits.

Corey Brock is
    a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    9 in a row :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :tup::tup:

But, Brian Giles still sucks! :icon_rofl:

9. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Correia Cruises as Padres Top A's

06/21/09 8:40 PM ET
    Correia cruises, looks like No. 1

Right-hander leads San Diego over Oakland in finale

By Sandy Burgin / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- Kevin Correia has been doing his best lately to impersonate a No. 1 starter for the Padres.

The 28-year-old right-hander threw 6 2/3 innings of two-hit baseball as the Padres salvaged the final game of a three-game series, beating the Oakland A's, 4-1, Sunday at PETCO Park.

Correia's batterymate, Henry Blanco, hit a solo home run off A's starter and loser Dallas Braden (5-6) in the fourth, and Kevin Kouzmanoff slammed a two-run homer in the eighth off Oakland reliever Russ Springer.

Mike Adams came on to relieve Correia in the seventh with the tying run on second base, and he got Orlando Cabrera to ground out to end the inning.

Edward Mujica pitched a scoreless eighth before Heath Bell pitched the ninth to pick up his 19th save in 20 opportunities.

David Eckstein and Tony Gwynn continued their hot-hitting, with Eckstein notching his 92nd career three-hit game and Gwynn his third straight multihit game and 20th of his brief career.

But Correia was the story of the day, pitching in front of his father, Kevin, who was one of nine Padres fathers who threw out ceremonial first pitches.
    Correia (4-5) retired the first 14 batters he faced before Cabrera lined a double down the right-field line with two outs in the fifth.

"In the fifth inning, you're so far away [from a perfect game]," said Correia. "Anything can happen at any time. You don't even think about [a perfect game] at that point. You'd have to get a couple more innings under your belt to even consider something like that."
    As it was, Correia took a one-hit shutout into the seventh inning.

However, he walked Jack Cust leading off the inning and gave up a two-out opposite-field RBI double to Ryan Sweeney.

"My theory out there has always been if you walk a guy, it just creates so many problems," said Correia, "And the one walk I had, he ended up scoring. Besides that walk, everything else was pretty good, indeed."

Correia struck out seven and threw 101 pitches, including 67 for strikes.
    With both Jake Peavy and Chris Young on the disabled list, Correia has emerged as the ace -- or at least the stopper on the San Diego staff.

Correia has allowed two or fewer runs and worked six or more innings in each of his last four starts, posting a 2.03 ERA over the four-game stretch since June 6.

"This was just an extension of what he's done the last number of starts, which is fill the strike zone with good pitches -- with all four pitches, I might add -- the fastball, curve, slider and change," said Padres manager Bud Black. "The walks are down; the hits are down." Correia has allowed eight walks in his last eight games and 13 hits in his last four games.

Black noted that Correia had pitched 17 2/3 innings without throwing from the stretch and 25 1/3 innings before giving up a walk.

"Hopefully he realizes now that the way he's throwing, he's very capable of that each and every time," said Black.

"I'm still getting experience as a starter and I'm still learning some stuff," said Correia. "With some of these other guys being hurt, like Peavy and Young, I feel I really need to come out there and get some innings and put up a good effort with us losing are 1-2 guys."

Kouzmanoff has been picking up the offensive slack of late, hitting safely in 11 of the past 13 games with five homers and 18 RBIs.

"I've been fortunate enough to get some good pitches to hit, and I've been hitting them," said Kouzmanoff. "Baseball's a funny game, where one day you get good pitches to hit and you hit them and the next day you get good pitches and you don't hit them.

"I think confidence has a lot to do with it," he added. "You have to go up there with confidence and trust in your hands."

Before hitting his ninth homer of the season in the eighth, Kouzmanoff had been robbed twice of hits by outstanding defensive plays left fielder Matt Holliday and right fielder Cust.
    "Some players let at-bats like that affect them in the field, but not Kouz," said Black. "He's been phenomenal defensively. We see it every day, and it's been steady improvement."

Sandy Burgin is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I took my Dad to this game.

At the beginning of one inning, they had all the current and former members of the military stand.
    My Dad is retired NAVY so he got to stand, with lots of other people while the crowd applauded. :flag:

There were many fathers in attendance.:tup:

Beautiful day, grand time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    sounds like Dad had a very good time.

12. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    06/27/09 10:36 PM ET
    Padres' bats back impressive Correia

Friars rack up 16 hits; Blanks drives in three runs

By Daniel Paulling / MLB.com

ARLINGTON -- A barrage of hits led the Padres to a 7-3 victory over the Rangers at in Arlington on Saturday night.

Kyle Blanks paced the Padres' offense with two doubles that scored three runs. David Eckstein added an RBI double in the fourth and an RBI single in the sixth.

In all, the Padres tallied 16 hits.

Kevin Correia gave the Padres' bullpen a much-needed rest with seven strong innings of work. He struck out a career-high nine hitters and needed only 95 pitches.
    The win breaks the Padres' three-game losing streak and raises them to 11-10 against the Rangers.

Daniel Paulling is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    06/29/09 12:21 AM ET

Gaudin dominates in Friars' one-hit win

Righty strikes out nine; Hairston finishes triple shy of cycle

By Daniel Paulling / MLB.com

ARLINGTON -- Bud Black has seen a lot of great pitching in his career, but he was amazed with Chad Gaudin's performance on Sunday.

"Boy, that was just a great game," Black said. "What a performance. I've seen a lot of games in this park from this dugout and that was one of the best pitched games I've seen."

Gaudin's performance, it could be argued, might have been the best by an opposing pitcher at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. He allowed one hit over eight innings, striking out nine hitters, as the Padres won, 2-0.

That was the only time an opposing pitcher had pitched eight or more innings and allowed one or fewer hits. Rangers pitchers have managed that feat just twice in the 15-year history of the ballpark.

"Sweet," Gaudin said of his history-setting performance. "That's the key to the game -- keeping guys off balance. Same game plan: keep hitters off balance. Not every day will you throw what you want where you want."

Gaudin's outing was the Padres' first one-hitter since Sept. 22, 2006, against the Pirates, and the 21st in club history. Chris Young threw the first 8 2/3 innings with Cla Meredith finishing the Padres' victory that day.
    Gaudin faced the minimum number of hitters five times in his eight innings of work.

"From the third inning on, the ball-to-strike ratio was outstanding," Black said. "He was ahead of hitters. His three-strike strikeouts showed he was aggressive. His fastball was sinking, his slider was good. This was a special game. We don't expect this all the time."

Gaudin's win gave the Padres their first series win since May 25-27 at Arizona, which was nine series ago. They were 0-6-2 in series entering this weekend against the Rangers.

The series win also was the Padres' first in Interleague Play since June 12-14, 2007, at the Rays.

Gaudin wanted to go back out for the ninth inning -- he had only thrown 101 pitches -- but realized his outing could've turned around. "I coulda given up a bloop hit, another, and I'm at 113 pitches," Gaudin said. "I know Heath [Bell] hadn't pitched in four days."
    Bell came into the game because Black wanted to give his closer some work. Bell worked around a leadoff walk to notch his 21st save of the season.

Gaudin's lone hit allowed was a single to Michael Young in the first inning.
    "He was good," Young said. "His slider was sharp. He threw fastballs for strikes with good movement and kept the ball down in the zone."

Despite a 1-2 slider to Young, ruining his chance at no-hit history, Gaudin was unfazed about Young's hit.

"I've seen too many things turn around," Gaudin said. "Anything could be hit. I'm not going to glorify myself. I don't look at what I'm doing. I'm working on the hitter at hand."

He said his performance Sunday was his best in the Major Leagues, but perhaps not in professional baseball. Gaudin threw a perfect game in Double-A. He said there were six or seven hard-hit balls that day, but he was fortunate enough they were right at people.

Former Rangers pitcher Kevin Brown pitched the Padres' last one-hit shutout on Aug. 16, 1998
    Gaudin credited a strong defense, especially Tony Gwynn in right field, for some spectacular plays behind him. Gwynn saved a hit early in the game with an excellent grab to record an out.

Scott Hairston provided the offense for the Padres. He went 3-for-4 with both RBIs. Hairston entered the game on a 2-for-20 skid since coming off the disabled list.

He didn't need to be reminded of his bad numbers after the game.

"I know 'em already," Hairston said. "Sometimes it happens. It's hard to get your timing back. It's hard. I had good timing tonight."

Hairston homered to left field on a 1-2 pitch from Rangers starter Tommy Hunter, who took the loss. It went an estimated 370 feet to left field.

Two innings later, a heads-up baserunning play by Everth Cabrera, hitting in the No. 2 hole because David Eckstein didn't start, helped add another run.

Cabrera launched a shot into the right-field corner, which Andruw Jones took too long in fielding. Cabrera rounded second and slid into third easily, as Ian Kinsler's relay throw from Jones almost went into the stands.
    Hairston followed that play with a single that easily scored the speedy Cabrera.
    The Padres improved to 12-10 all-time against the Rangers and have won two-of-three in the past two series in Arlington. The series win ended a streak of 12 consecutive series' lost to American League teams by the Padres.

Daniel Paulling is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

• Like Like x 2
  14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jul/08/padres-diamondbacks/?padres

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

Padres hit bottom after being swept by the Diamondbacks in Arizona

Miscue by Gonzalez leads to a five-run eighth for the D'backs as San Diego falls into last

By Bill Center
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer

Originally published 3:45 p.m. July 8, 2009, updated 6:03 p.m., July 8, 2009
    Arizona's Felipe Lopez, right, high-fives teammate Alex Romero after hitting a three-run home run against the Padres during the eighth inning on Wednesday. - AP Photo/Matt York

WHO'S HOT

Kevin Kouzmanoff: The third baseman has been driving the ball, even on outs. He went 2-for-4 Wednesday, making him 7-for-16 in his past four games with four doubles and a homer.

WHO'S NOT

Adrian Gonzalez: 1-for-12 with five strikeouts in the series, plus Wednesday's decisive error. He is 4-for-27 this month with 10 strikeouts and three walks.

BY THE NUMBERS

1: Days that the Padres have been in last in the NL West this season.

1: Series sweeps this season by Arizona.

1.89: ERA for rookie right-hander Max Scherzer in three starts against the Padres.

.365: Tony Gwynn's batting average against the NL West (23-for-63 in 19 games).

8: Runs given up by Padres relievers in the eighth and ninth innings of the three games against Arizona.

67-33: Arizona's record against the Padres at Chase Field.

– BILL CENTER

PHOENIX – It is a play Adrian Gonzalez has made hundreds of times, a signature play for the National League's Gold Glove first baseman.

With the Padres nursing a one-run lead and Arizona runners at the corners with one out in the last of the eighth Wednesday, Chad Tracy hit a solid one hopper between Gonzalez and first base.

Gonzalez had two options – catch the ball, tag the bag and throw home for the double play; or, catch the ball, tag the bag and throw to second for the double play.

He made neither. He didn't catch the ball.

The ball ticked off Gonzalez's glove and rolled behind the bag at first.

By the time the All-Star recovered, Miguel Montero had scored to tie the game and Arizona had runners at first and second.

And by the time the inning was over, the Diamondbacks, thanks to a single by Alex Romero and a three-run homer by Felipe Lopez, scored five runs en route to a 6-2 victory that dropped the Padres into last place in the National League West for the first time this season.

“Right now, things aren't clicking for me,” Gonzalez said. “I thought I was all over that ball, but it hit off the edge of my glove. It's a reaction play, one shot.”

But how many times has Gonzalez made that play? Now try to remember the times that he hasn't.

Wednesday marked the 291st straight game in which Gonzalez has participated. That is the longest active streak in the major leagues and 14 shy of the Padres record held by Steve Garvey.

Going into the All-Star break, the Padres will have played 20 games in 20 days. Coming out of the three-day break, they will play 25 straight games and 38 games in 39 days. And because Gonzalez is going to the All-Star Game in St. Louis – plus participate in the Home Run Derby on Monday night – the midseason break is no break at all.

Might Gonzalez need a day off now?

“In my eyes, there are two options,” Gonzalez said. “Either don't play the entire series in San Francisco or let me grind it out.

“I've never believed one day off is going to change anything. So those are the only two options I see worth anything. Two days, no.”

Is Gonzalez tired?

“Physically, no,” he said. “Mentally, yes.
    Related stories
    # D'Backs 6, Padres 2: Padres hit bottom after being swept in Arizona
    # Padres Notebook: Lack of support again costs Gaudin
    # On Deck: Geer vs. Lincecum
    # Ex-Padre Bush pleads not guilty to DUI, other charges
    # Box score
    # Photo gallery
    # MLB video
    # More Padres coverage

“But that's just baseball. I feel great my first one or two at-bats and then I get lost. It's just not going my way right now, although I don't see the point of missing one game.”

However, Gonzalez says he still views playing in the All-Star Game as a break. “It's a game, but it's not the same thing. I relaxed some last year when I was at the All-Star Game,” he said.

Gonzalez was 0-for-4 with two strikeouts Wednesday and flew out the only time he hit with runners in scoring position.

Although he is still tied for second in the major leagues with 24 homers, he has hit only two since June 2, when he was also hitting .292.

He has gone 21-for-108 (.194) with nine RBI since, with his average falling 36 points to .256. Of course, it's not all Gonzalez's fault. With the offense in tatters around him, pitchers have taken to working around Gonzalez or just walking him.

Gonzalez is quick to point out that he likes playing every day because he likes playing – and not because of the streak.

“I could care less about the streak,” he said.

But the Padres should care about the streak they're in.

They approach the All-Star break having lost four straight and seven of their past eight games – although they were in position to win all three games in Arizona.

For the second time in three days, the bullpen failed to hold the lead, although because of Gonzalez's error only two of the six runs were earned.

Greg Burke took the loss and gave up two hits in two-thirds of an inning. Mike Adams came on to give up the tie-breaking single to Romero and Lopez's three-run homer.

15. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    And then.............the no-hitter.:tdown:

I haven't followed the Padres closely in years, and this is an example of why. Let's face it, the team has crappy ownership and
    mediocre players, and the result is---DUH---repeated losing seasons. If the Chargers were run like the Pads, I think I'd have had to abandon ship long ago.......they just suck. I'm sorry.:no:

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Now they're really hitting their stride!

five runs in four games.

I'm embarrassed to call them my team

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    10 runs in 7 games.

getting better!!!

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,672
    thank god i'm also a yankees fan, otherwise i couldn't take this crap

they might just need to do a clean sweep of everyone

19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    cant wait to see what moorad does once he's had this season to eval and then has more control over $$ spent/personnel... until then... it's gonna be bad bad bad :(

i'm really afraid they will trade adrian and peavy - i think both are worth keeping, esp once giles and his bs contract is outta here :p there are some glimmers of hope in that locker room, just not enough.

sad way to end the moores era - he really did save baseball in san diego - not the way i wanted to see him go out.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    well they can never say that we are bandwagoners

21. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    but they did not get no-hit, so they are improving

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    It kind of sucks for those of us who don't have back up teams with 200 million dollar payrolls. :icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  23. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    2 in a row

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  24. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    what really frustrates me is the injuries.

Our front office insists on signing these guys that have a history of being injured. Sign them for cheap, they perform for a couple of months then bam, off to IR

:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  25. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Can they play the Reds for the rest of the season? :lol:

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    IR?

There is no IR in baseball.

I assume you mean the DL.

Anyways, who got injured today?

27. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

nobody new.

It seems like I read about somebody coming or going on the DL every day.

Floyd, Youg, Gonzalez, and of course my favorite - Giles.

28. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Duds lost too, in the 15th. :icon_toast:

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Young isn't injury prone. I think this is the first extended DL trip of his career. (he's had a couple minor injuries here and there that lead to a few missed starts, but nothing serious until now.)

Edgar Gonzalez was a freak occurrence. Dude got beaned in the head.

Giles is old, Floyd was an injury risk.

All that aside, they do take a lot of chances on people who are coming off injuries. Why? Because the come cheap that way.

The gamble has worked out well for them at times and bit them in the *** at other times, but you gotta do what you gotta do when you're a small market team in a sport with no salary cap.

And that's magnified 100x this year when the owner gives the GM a 40 mil payroll to work with.

30. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    totally agree. However the small market label is overused in my opinion. I was just there. It's damn crowded!

Even without Comic Con!

:icon_evil: