1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pager System

Discussion in 'Forum Help and Feedback' started by Thumper, May 28, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I've been doing some research into what parts of the forum use the most server resources and found that the pager system by it's self uses almost 30% of the total resources of this entire website.

It was written for vBulletin several version ago. I have got the pager system to work with this version, but the author of the pager system has decided to no longer update, nor support the pager system. Also, there is a minor security issue with it. I know what the security issue is, and although it's not a major issue, it is still an issue.

Since we are on the new server, we can withstand the performance hit of the pager system for now. But I wanted to let you know that it will eventually be removed. You'll still have the PM system, just not the pager system.

I know this is a very popular feature here, but I really have no choice but to eventually remove it. I will try to give as much notice as possible and I'll leave it for now.

I just wanted everyone to know this is coming at some point in the future so it doesn't take everyone by surprise.

THX

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Pager System.

If nobody cares I can do that, but got a cryptic pager message that I think meant the person was upset about the removal of the pager system.

The new server can handle the load, but I'm actually working on a redesign of the forum. It will integrate the front page of the website much more into the design. But including the pager system would be too difficult. That's the other reason and the when that the pager system will go away. When the new design goes live. I have been busy with other things, so I don't have an actual eta of when that will be.

I will monitor the pager system though. If the increased traffic from when the season starts increases resource usage, it may be removed at that time.

3. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Pager System.

It's sometimes a nice little feature but I'm ok if it's disabled...

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Pager System.

I will mourn its loss...

*sob, cry*

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Pager System.

The Pager system has been removed. If a new version or a similiar add-on is ever released, we shall consider it, but for now, there is no replacement except the the PM system.

Sorry everyone.