1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Paging Mr. Smith...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Seau. Now.

Please?

ps: I know this will fall on deaf ears. I just think we could use the vet leadership and I'm still longing to see Jr. go out in Bolts.

2. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    How about we get colvin first ehh?

3. TCHDNSD

TCHDNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    IMHO it would be nice to see him get his ring. He strayed from us, but he did alot for the Chargers in his time here and I would LOVE to see him get a ring along with Rivers and LT ....

4. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    On an emotional level, there is nothing I'd like to see more than 55 finish his career here.

The objective, rational part of me says that there's no place for him on this roster.

Then that same part of me watches Wilhelm suck it up, watches Merriman go on IR, sees young, raw, moldable talent in Waters and Siler, and says, "Eh... why not?" :D

5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    If he knew his place, being a back up, being used in certain packages, but with veteran leadership, would be nice... not gonna happen, AJ likes his guys, and his guys only. But I think Merriman being on IR still takes up a roster spot?

6. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    No the spot is free. We need a LB or 3 and a NT.:unsure:

Seau can't be worse than what we have seen. I bet Polk is brought back.:no:

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Seau would be good but I'm with co31beast Colvin would be better. It would be a nice change since New England always rifles through our garbage.
    Flutie, Seau, Welker, Harrison, and a whole host of others I can't think of right now.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

My thoughts exactly!!
    I'm not with it at this moment but I'm not against it either.

Either way, this has to be very well planned and thought out.

9. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    AJ's got someone in mind...we'll find out tomorrow if they're already on the team though.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Seau's an ILB not an OLB
    sorry, won't fit

11. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    that might be a good thing too, derek and matt sucked big time on sunday, i cant believe how much i miss coop

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd rather see Seau than Smith (actually I didn't SEE him on sunday :icon_shrug:)

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    last time i checked he was OUTSIDE :icon_shrug:

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    not in a 3-4 he isn't, Seau isn't a good blitzer

15. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    he would fit nicely in Wilhelm's spot!!

16. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Anyone would be an upgrade in Wilhelm's spot.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    ANYONE would fit.

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Since anyone would fit, isnt Zeke Moreno available?:icon_twisted:

19. MasterGates

MasterGates BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Wilhelm sucks ***. At least someone in the middle sucks *** because the middle of our D is sta-puff-marshmallow man soft. At both the games I went to this season I saw it. I saw the Boys run both Barber and Jones straight through us, and I saw Romo throw straight to Witten in the middle multilple times as long as the starters were there. Same thing with the Panthers. Two running backs both eating our lunch through the middle and short passes to wide open crossing routes. Weak. Weak. Weak.

Seau's not the answer though.

I hope Jyles brings some pop to the middle of the field.

1st post ever. Snoop!

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Our defense pivots around Jamal Williams. If he gets shoved around like he did Sunday then not much works up in the box. If he's not in better game shape on this Sunday against Denver, then we'd be better off with Bingham or McKinney because they would be more effective. If I was coaching, Jamal would be in practices this week just like any normal player. If he can't hack it then we need to put someone in whose up to the job. The inconsistent way he played Sunday was a key part of our loss. If he was in game shape, fine, rest him some during the week, but he's not and he needs to get that way quick.

21. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Ya know your very first post and we already like you more
    than some of the tenured vets. But don't try to take out my "most posts in the first two months" record. I don't even know if there is a record but I am going to beat it anyways 'cause I'm a post-padding whore. Welcome to the forum! And the D is soft and that's the playcallers fault but the second half was good, even for the defense. They played with a little more intensity and were not really pushed around by the Panthers' O-line. Wilhelm sucks but he can improve. Smith was decent. Philips played ILB like a pro bowler. We'll be back to form on Sunday.

22. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    As cool as it would be to see Junior back, that isn't the OLB position we need to fill. I believe Colvin was cut recently and I suspect it is because he is broken down physically (...the classic "lost a step") Bringing Polk back makes the most sense unless there is a quality OLB out there that is currently unemployed and healthy....I can't think of any. If Polk is not a good option maybe they will promote Applewhite from the PS.

Regarding our issues at ILB, maybe Waters can step up his game and challenge for a starting spot if Wilhelm and (Derek)Smith continue to leave the door open. Some of this problem may be related to Jamal Williams having a sub-standard game in front of them.

The next five days should be very interesting...I wonder what else AJ has up his sleeve besides his arm?

Go Chargers!!!

:flag:

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    AJ ain't bringing Junior back, so we can kiss that thought good-bye. Polk - maybe. Colvin - eh. Probably bring back Polk before signing Colvin.

As far as roster spots go - Shawne cost us one. Sure would be nice to have Divens back to help out Jamal.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'd rather see Seau's old *** in a Bolt uni one more time than see Polk wear one ever again. Polk does nothing for me when he's on the field for anything other than kick coverage.

I'm thinkin' AJ will cook up a trade.

25. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'll take Applewhite

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    It's a nice thought but we need to build our OLB depth up and that means Tucker and Applewhite (Polk doesn't count, couldn't pass rush to save his ***). I'm still not happy with Wilhelm and he could go bye bye when Cooper comes back (or we could trade him if needed)

27. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Colvin!? Are you freaking kidding me???? he's part of that group that came into OUR HOUSE and talked trash about Merriman after the game and in the tunnel. "LIGHT'S OUT IT'S A BLACK OUT" or something... I am NOT INTERESTED in having that piece of crap anywhere near my team. He's washed up anyway.

Seau? eh... I don't think he'd fit anymore. The sentimental part of me would enjoy it but it just doesn't make sense. I can;t imagine AJ going there.

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Bingo. Baltimore has him now and we could use a guy that flashed Diven's potential. AJ had the option of putting Merriman on the IR list for some time and didn't do it. Puzzling.

29. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...That might have something to do with the fact that Merriman indicated to the team that he COULD and WOULD play. Merriman's indifferent attitude about the injury during the entire off season probably made everyone feel like EVERYTHING was okay.

This reminds me of the way Favre left the Packers high and dry when he retired, changed his mind, stayed retired, changed his mind only to wonder why they moved on. Maybe A.J. should have just made this decison for Shawne. I still for the life of me have no idea why Shawne didn't just take care of this ASAP like Philip Rivers did. Even Gates waited for awhile longer than he probably should have but eventually had the surgery. I have no clue :icon_huh:

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Easy, RC. Don't question the decisions of GAWD or you'll have nearly everyone wanting to form a lynch mob. :lol:

IMO, Shawne didn't have the final say in this, nor should the team have waited for him to finish his rounds with the various doctors. This team & its goals are bigger than Shawne Merriman. The decision to not put Shawne on IR right away cost us a potentially valuable player.

I'm pretty pissed at Shawne, Condon, & the FO right now. :icon_evil: