1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Painful....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Oct 7, 2012.

1. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    End of the day, Chargers have no one to blame but themselves. Even if that PI is not called on Gates, there's no guarantee the Chargers find the end zone. Also, if you're up by 10 and the opposition runs off 17 straight points, you don't blame the refs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +477
    Let's see if I have this right.

Teams that the NFL wants to see win:
    Patriots
    Saints
    any team lead by a Manning

Any truth to this? Am I missing some teams?
    Is this conspiracy/bias talk just fans whining after
    their teams lose fair and square?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455
    We put up almost 500 yards on the Saints. Don't think the issue was us moving the ball on them. Moving away from the run game when your eating them up with it and up by 10, now that is an issue but we seemed to be moving the ball pretty much at will (Except when Goodells Ref squad came in to help the Saints along).

4. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455
    Yep, Pats, Saints, Manning teams. They really try with the Cowboys and the Bears but there is no helping them with the poor play they have shown over the last few years. Think they have a twinkle for the Packers and 49ers as well. Pretty much every other team in the league is relegated to back of the bus status. Its all about the $$$$. Marketing Rivers and the Chargers is not a money maker. Small market, no heartfelt stories behind it (i.e. Saints and New Orleans and Katrina), No best friends at the top (i.e. See Kraft and Goodell), East coast bias (i.e. See Giants and Pats), and so much more. Can you imagine how hard the NFL is going to work against the Texans. They are probably the best overall team in the league right now, and I'm pretty sure Goodell and his boys are working up some way to screw them already. No marketing for a Texas team not named the Cowboys. It's about money. They are making the game into a WWE "Entertainment" event with coordinated outcomes, no real injuries and contact, with bluster and douche baggery everywhere. Can't wait until we start seeing the QB's or LB's stepping up to mics every week to tell how they are going to killt he other team over some made up rift between them. Should be compelling TV. Well at least for everyone with an IQ sub 50.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yeah... refs were a major factor. But what stood out to me most was the lack of a sense of urgency with this team when they had the Saints D down... the crowd completely out of it... and an opportunity to deliver a kill shot.

Instead they take their sweet time getting to the line (get delay of game penalty), try to take time off the clock (which they did), but ultimately end up giving the ball back and collapsing on defense themselves.

Will Norv ever wake up to the idea that an up-tempo (including no huddle) offense is a good thing even when you have a ten point lead (see: Patriots)?

6. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    brees is 6' and ingram is 6'2" and the only way any team can not get charged for roughing the passer (Helmet to helmet) is if the DL/LB are 5'4"-5'5"...

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    It's not just the calls the refs did make but more importantly about the ones they didn't make that piss me right the **** off. Saints had free-reign to manhandle the Chargers, especially our receivers, the majority of the night.

We knew the Saints would score points, we knew our secondary would struggle vs. their passing game. What really tipped the balance was giving the Saints D a hand-up and letting them get away with murder. I mean ****, they were tackling guys before the ball got there - yet no call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    What tipped the balance of the game was the Bolts caving in after the Ingram call. The refs certainly helped out, but there's no guarantee the Chargers would have won if the refs had called a perfect game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    500 yards? It’s much closer to 400 yards (427 to be exact). And even with all those yards we still punted 4 times because our 3 third down efficiency was horrible.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Bingo.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I can remember a coach telling me this "Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse why they lost"

12. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +477
    There's a difference between excuses and reasons.

Next up...San Diego Chargers vs. Peyton Manning.:broncossuck:

13. newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Chargers lost, yes. But what really gets on my nerves is, as what was said, the non calls against the Saints in that last drive.
    We were getting penalties left right and centre - ok, it happens. But when it's blatant ignorance not to call penalties against the Saints D when it was clear they deserved more flags than just the PI, it destroys the game, and is NOT fun to watch.

I get sick of the NHL protecting their poster child Sydney Crosby, and it was clear the NFL were doing the same for Brees and the Saints last night.

The commentator crew were sickening at the amount of Brees praise they were giving, yet his numbers are nowhere near Johnny Unitas - the only thing was him surpassing the consecutive TD game record.

A fair loss is a lot more easy to accept, than a bias one. And last night was just sickening.

14. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    The Saints DBs were garbage and knew it and played dirty and rarely got called. Our DBs are still on the trash heap, but right on the top of the trash heap where the better garbage resides. Cason is still a horrible cover man and every team we play knows it.

I'm not sure about conspiracies or anything but homefield calls happen in all sports, it could just be subconsciousness. What I truly believe though, is if that game was called completely fair and even we would have won. Could we have overcame some bad calls and non calls? Maybe, but we shouldn't have to. The better team did not win last night.

As for the Ingram penalty, it was not clear cut. If that was Ray Lewis hitting Christian Ponder on a locally televised game it's probably not called....but it was a rookie on Brees on Natl. TV on his record breaking night at home. Initial contact was not direct spearing and was on upper chest, but his momentum carried his helmet upwards into Brees chin area.

At least Gates looked good when not held, Floyd is amazing, Ryan Matthews was the quickest man on the field and oh was the shades of Gary Anderson on the layout to somersault? And Rivers was poised to make a comeback before all the yellow hankies flew out and Gaither hurt his leg/back and probably (and I'm guessing here) isn't smart enough to know to go down so the refs call out the trainers and then they can sub him with no timeouts.

This team is better than last years team, but then so are the Donks.

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and the reason is we only put up 7 points in the second half?

16. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +477
    Let it go...it's over.
    Next up...San Diego Chargers vs. Peyton Manning:broncossuck: