1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Palmer to Raiders

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by packfntk, Oct 18, 2011.

1. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    How do you guys feel about this? Worried at all, or not really. I know one thing is for sure, they gave up WAY too much for him.

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    It's all over Twitter. First in '12 and conditional first in '13. The Raiders are going all in for this season.

3. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
  4. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    A first round pick for him. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Oh my. Well, I don't think the Raiders will get very far in this league with deep passes and bubble screens being the bread and butter of their passing offense. None of those receivers can run a decent route and once someone shuts down that running game... it's all over.

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    They better win it all this year because they just mortgaged the future.

"@mortreport: Raiders now do not have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 7th rd picks in 2012 but do expect compensatory picks back for Gallery/Asomugha"

"Palmer's salaries: 11.5 mil in 2011, 11.5 mil in 2012, 14 mil in 2013, 15 mil in 2015 . . . "

8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I actually find this hilarious. They only have 2 picks in next years draft. Also they gave up A LOT for him. Comparable to the Cutler trade where they got OWNED.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Wow. The Raiders are more desperate than I said I would have been.

I would have given up the 1st rounder....but two 1st rounders?

Mike Brown looks like a genius here....MIKE BROWN

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Even so, ignoring the high cost they paid for him this does worry me.

Palmer is a better QB than even Campbell.

He might be rusty for the first few games as he gets back into football shape and learns their playbook, but once he settles in they'll be dangerous. (even more so)

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am not sure what they got. Palmer was a decent QB, but were the Bengals even playing Palmer?

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The Bengals weren't playing Palmer because he refused to play.

It's not like they willingly benched him.

13. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Palmer is not worth a first rd pick....the guy hasn't been any good since his injury. His salary puts the Raiders in a horrible place for cap space. And I don't care who you are, he won't be in Football shape for weeks. This is a "hue....ggge" reach by a desperate team.

14. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Bengals made out in this deal. I wonder how "ready" Palmer is going to be when we play the Raiders.

Going to be interesting...

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Refused to play? Ahh ok... What is his malfunction?

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    2009 came after the injury

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    He played for the Bengals :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Anyway, considering Oakland's remaining options were Kyle Boller, Terell Pryor, Trent Edwards, trading in division for Kyle Orton, Patrick Ramsey, or convincing you know who to come back I would have given up a 1st for Palmer.

Two firsts, though? (Or even a 1st and the 2nd) That's steep. Mike Brown looks like a genius here.

19. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I am far more scared of the Bengals now then the Raiders. Bengals are going to be a damn solid team in a year or two. The Raiders just sold the farm for an older QB with a history of injuries who has shown poor arm strength over the last few years. The Raiders are a running team looking for big, deep plays from the fast WR's who don't run routes very well. Palmer is not the guy to hit those long routes. Basically no draft picks next year, and possibly losing a #1 or #2 the year after that. Beautiful. So Raiders and Broncos getting worse, now we just need the Chiefs to start throwing away draft picks and trade Dwayne Bowe.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The issue for me has been noted already by others in this thread; Palmer is a better QB then anyone the Raiders have had probably since Gannon was still effective in the early 2000s. He might not be as good as he was say in 2005 but he's damn sure better then Campbell or Boller. If he can just be effective enough to force defenses to play with less people in the box, he could make that Raider offense far better. The one thing that has limited them has been that their passing game has never been effective. This could fix that and cause teams alot of headaches

21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Yep, I still think the run game will be their go-to yardage. And the threat of Palmer passing to several good WRs will increase the yards per carry.
    On the bright side: this is good for my fantasy team.
    Also on the bright side: The Chargers D is going to have to step it up a notch against these guys. I'm sure they're looking forward to the challenge. Hopefully they meet it, and it makes them a better D. Cause if the Bolts are going to make a run in the playoffs, they need to improve on that side of the ball (and of course red zone O too).

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    apparently, the Raiders are equally crazy without Al as they were with him

• Like Like x 3
  23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am not sure if I would say they are crazy. How many times have we Chargers fans pined over the fact we felt the Chargers never go out at trade time to do what it takes to win it all that season? This is what the Raiders are doing. Looking at the names of the QBs not on any team, Palmer is one of their best options.

they have a solid run game, a struggling D with a good DL. Palmer could give them a few games. If they win the west, is it such a bad gamble? If they dont, well, they did what they could. Better than sitting pat I would say. Also who knows what trades can happen in April to get them some picks back.

24. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    The raiders still make dumb *** trades giving away 1st round picks... Im not worried at all I find it quite funny ;) Chargers still got this Division .. And we will beat New York Sunday

• Like Like x 1
  25. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Bengals look like a much better team without Palmer, not worried about him being in Oakland.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Posted by Will Brinson

[​IMG]

On Tuesday, Oakland shocked the world by dealing two first-round draft picks -- a 2012 first-rounder and a 2013 conditional first-rounder -- for Carson Palmer, retired Bengals quarterback.

Though the Raiders success will determine the long-term winners in this deal, we're prepared to make some knee-jerk reactions right now anyway. (While you read, listen to the podcast below!)

WINNERS
    Mike Brown -- I've been on record as saying Brown was a fool for letting Palmer get older without getting something in return for him, despite the fact that he's had ample opportunities to get a significant bounty -- see: the Cardinals overpaying for Kevin Kolb -- in return for someone who refused to play for his team. But this? This is highway robbery. This is Brown pulling off something no one saw coming and making his team better in the long run. Kudos to him for this.

Carson Palmer -- Guess Mike Brown *technically* caved to his demands huh? Sure, Brown would have been a damn fool to pass up what the Raiders gave, but Palmer's now released from the control of Brown and the Bengals and he gets to play football again. Plus, he's doing it for a team that's a contender, a coach he likes and knows, and he has a pile of weapons available that don't spend their time away from the field filming VH-1 shows.

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Denarius Moore -- Put quite simply, they're not going to spend the rest of the year getting speared over the middle and/or trying not to have their ankles broken by a bunch of short-hoppers from Kyle Boller.

Hue Jackson -- Not because he gave up two first-rounders for Palmer. That was dumb. But it appears that Jackson's got the trust of everyone in the Raiders organization, since they just let him peddle the future of the franchise (two first-rounders) for a 31-year-old quarterback.

Jordan Palmer -- Guess who will "earn a backup job with the Raiders" come 2012? Yup, Carson's little bro (who, by the way, I loved at UTEP) is a lock to be holding Kyle Boller's clipboard next season.

LOSERS
    Jason Campbell -- He's now most likely played his final snap as a Oakland Raider and that means Campbell will be moving on to yet another offensive coordinator on yet another team. Few first-round quarterbacks have gotten as raw a deal as Campbell in terms of how they've been handled; ironically, he only needs to land in Cincinnati to hit the trifecta of dysfunctional franchises.

Oakland's Next General Manager -- The Raiders' first pick will likely be a compensatory pick near the third round in 2012, thanks to letting Nnamdi Asomugha leave for Philly. But their technical first pick right now is a fifth-rounder. Which means that whatever GM steps into fill Al Davis' shoes better really like a) not working in April and b) Carson Palmer.

Carson Palmer -- Yes, the classic winner and loser move! But hear me out: though Palmer is, as I wrote above, now released, he's also no longer getting to play golf every day and get drunk at USC tailgates on Saturdays. And yeah, he's in a position to make a run at the playoffs, but if he stinks in Oakland, things are going to get awkward for him with the fans and management. There's a lot of pressure.

San Diego Chargers -- They're currently 4-1 and the rest of the division was about to be starting Matt Cassel, Tim Tebow and Kyle Boller ... respectively. Without the Raiders making a move, the Chargers were going to waltz to a division title. Now they've got some stiffer competition -- if Palmer can get back his old mojo, Oakland could absolutely challenge for the AFC West crown.

Denver Broncos -- What the hell did they want for Orton exactly? You can't call the Raiders and say "give us a fourth-rounder and he's yours?" Wouldn't Oakland have done that in a heartbeat versus the deal they needed to get a 31-year-old Palmer who costs way more and isn't just a one-year rental? Are the Broncos actually going to play Orton? What is going on there? I thought Josh McDaniels left.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If they gave up two 1st round picks for a proven QB like Brady, Rivers, Brees, ect, it wouldn't be crazy. But Palmer has done absolutely ZERO since he blew out his knee several years ago and hasn't taken a snap in nearly a year

• Like Like x 1
  28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Which does not say what he will or will not do with the Raiders. I do not expect much, but I am being open minded enough to realize a lot of 'washed up' players have been revitalized with a change of scean. Rich Gannon was done when the Raiders got him as I recall.

29. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Exactly, Andy Dalton looks pretty good throwing to AJ Green and Simpson.

So does anyone think the Raiders risk putting Palmer in on Sunday against the Chiefs?

I think the Chiefs win this Sunday no matter who the QB is, and if that happens the Raiders gave a 1st rd. pick and at least a 2nd for a 31-32 yr old QB that MIGHT play half a season.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So I wonder if Mrs. palmer is going next door to borrow a cup of playbook yet...

31. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    If Palmer has been 'retired' is he even in football shape?