1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Panel clears Dr. Chao of being unfit to serve

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,454
    Chargers team doctor cleared after NFLPA protest
    Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 10, 2013, 12:22 AM EST
    NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smithcame out firing against San Diego Chargers team doctor David Chao during a press conference at the Super Bowl as the union asked that the Chargers find a “suitable replacement.”
    The union’s grievance prompted a review through the collective bargaining agreement by three independent doctors to evaluate Chao and his qualifications.
    According to Michael Gelhken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Chao has been “totally exonerated” from the NFLPA’s claim that he is unfit to serve as team physician.
    Smith and NFLPA president Dominique Foxworth attacked Chao’s credibility by citing his medical history.
    “There is a team doctor named Dr. Chao who is currently the San Diego team doctor,” Smith said, “who has been found liable of medical malpractice twice — twice. The same doctor was the subject of a DEA investigation. He’s still the San Diego Chargers team doctor.
    “Now, I’m not a doctor. I don’t even play one on TV. But it seems to me that the players of the National Football League deserve to have a doctor who’s not been found liable of malpractice, and that’s within the last year.”
    Several Chargers players, including quarterback Philip Rivers and center Nick Hardwick, have come to Chao’s defense since the NFLPA put Chao in their cross-hairs. The panel of independent doctors apparently disagreed with the NFLPA’s complaints.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,454
    Can't say I'm shocked.....who were these 3 "independent" doctors anyway? It's pretty hard to find doctors who will go against one of their own.

It's like having a police panel investigate a officer for wrongdoing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +171
    I think one on the panel was Dr. Nick from the Simpson's.

BTW--- Philip Rivers never says anything bad about anyone (ok- maybe Jay Cutler) so you can take his support with a grain of salt. Maybe ask Diehlman what he thinks of Chao.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    DeMaurice Smith was blowing it out his a55 and it just blew back in his face.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    I heard that Dr Chao is also Christopher Dorner's personal physician...

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    This is just 100% bull$#!+. Chao is a quack who should've lost his license to practice YEARS ago. I wonder what would happen to a nurse who effed up even half as bad as Chao......(makes slashing motion across throat)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Here's the entire panel:

doctors.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,454
    NFLPA still concerned about Chargers’ doctor
    Posted by Michael David Smith on February 11, 2013, 7:21 PM EST
    The news that three independent physicians reviewed the work of Dr. David Chao and found him qualified to be the team doctor for the San Diego Chargers has not satisfied the NFL Players Association.
    NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith said in a statement to the Associated Pressthat concerns remain about whether Chao is an appropriate choice to provide treatment to players on the Chargers, based on a past history of losing malpractice lawsuits.
    “The fact is that despite having previous malpractice liability judgments against him, neither the Chargers nor the NFL initiated an inquiry or provided any oversight of the doctor the team selected to provide care for our players,” Smith said.
    According to the Associated Press, Dr. Chao has been accused of negligence and failure to maintain adequate medical records, that he was ordered to pay $5.2 million to a former patient (not a Chargers player) in a malpractice case last summer, and that he was publicly reprimanded by the Medical Board of California after he pleaded guilty to driving under the influence.
    Smith sees a pattern of conduct from Dr. Chao that point to a larger issue with the players, namely that they want more oversight on how team doctors are chosen.
    “The NFLPA will take every step to hold the NFL and its member clubs accountable to provide the care that they are mandated to provide,” Smith said. “Dr. Chao’s previous medical liability issues only increases our desire to engage in a thorough and comprehensive credentialing process to determine which physicians are providing care to our players and how they were selected by the teams.”
    For now, however, Dr. Chao remains the team doctor.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    For those who can't stand Chao, it doesn't matter if the three finest medical doctors in the US were on that panel. He'd still be guilty. NFLPA pushed this, got the three independent doctors to review and lost again.

In the end he received more support than I imagined from the players and that combined with this I'm willing to tolerate it with a very short leash.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,454
    With all due respect to the two players who spoke out, they don't know any different. Who else do they have to compare Chao to? Both Rivers and Hardwick have only been with the Chargers, and Chao has been here the whole time.