1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Panicking already? Not me..... Yet.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by WonderSlug, Sep 16, 2007.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    It seems quite a few people are in full blown "Chicken Little" mode and panicking already after our first loss.

I guess we should just forfeit the remaining 14 games and focus on 2008?

For the past 3 seasons, it has appeared that the team has been somewhat slow starting but then got it together for the most part.

2004 season, 2005 season, and 2006 season, look at what we did the first 5 games.

2004: 3-2 start, and 3-3 after six games (0-1 division)
    2005: 2-3 start, and 3-3 after six games (0-1 division)
    2006: 4-1 start, and 4-2 after six games (1-1 division)

I predicted a 13-3 record for the team back in the prediction thread some months ago.

I also predicted that 2 of the 3 losses would be @ New England, and @ Denver.

While I was really hoping that a victory could be pulled out in New England tonight, I knew that a repeat of the 2005 victory and 41-17 pounding of the Pats that year, was extremely difficult, if not impossible. They are extremely difficult, almost impossible, to beat at home, like the Colts have become.

So, while the loss was disappointing, it's not time to jump off the bandwagon and sell your season tickets. Although if you do jump off the bandwagon, you're more than welcome to give me your pair of season tickets. I'll go to the 7 remaining games in your stead.

The Denver loss is because the Broncos are equally tough to beat in Mile High. I said I wasn't sure that the team could strike the same magic there it did last year. Hence, the prediction of a loss in week 5.

My prediction also means a 4-2 record heading into the BYE week, with a 2-1 division record (loss @ Denver, win versus KC and Oakland).

So, what will cause me to start really worrying and maybe even panic?

A 1-3 start would do it. That would mean we lose to both Green Bay and the suck-arse Chiefs. It would also mean a good possibility, at least 50-50, that we start 1-4 with a loss in Denver as I stated.

However, we aren't there right now.

So, a 4-2 record (2-1 division) heading into the BYE WEEK. I said it several months ago, and I'm sticking with it. Given the history of the past 3 seasons, it seems about right.

Until it gets worse than that, I'm not worrying..... yet.

It also means no more gameday threads for me. So you guys fight amongst yourselves who will do them the next few weeks or months.

2. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    You are right...however it does look like this team, from top to bottom has taken a step or two backwards.
    Since all that's really changed is coaching, this could spell big trouble.
    I will wait until I see the outcome of next weeks game in GB. If the Bolts do what they should do, then this will be a learning experience...if the Bolts drop one to GB, then I think this team is in big trouble.

3. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    we should be able to beat greenbay, my worry is getting whooped by a team that matters, like the Patriots.. now I worry about the Colts game........ serious teams.... greenbay is not a serious team... lets be honest..

FOUTS

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Sshhh! Don't tell them that!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    They are 2-0 and are scoring more points than we are and they are at home.

6. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    You really should know by now that any team with a tough old QB like Farve is a serious team...and while your a fan, and allowed to be myopic, this is the sort of attitude that led to the Chargers *** whoopin'. (not by fans, but I think the players had a bit of it too)

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    But they beat a couple of bad teams.

We played two of the best teams in the league already, back-to-back. Both of whom were many people's favorites to meet in the Super Bowl.

Although, yeah, if we stink it up in Green Bay, that twinge of panic will indeed start to set in.

8. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I'm concerned about Norval's "twist" on our O-Line.

Dude screwed up a pretty good thing. He better revert back to what worked last year.

Last year other teams were in the position of playing catch-up, which made our 'D' look good due to the opposing offence being under pressure to score.

Now it's us playing catch-up.

This has happened twice. The Bears and the Pats......not cool Norv.

9. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Green Bay played well down the stretch last season and beat the Bears in their last game of the season. They beat Philly last week and tho they arent the Bears, they arent a bad team either.

10. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    with all due respect, I'd rather play the sheagles, and smallents any day.... Brett Farve is a future hall of famer, but I (hopefully everyone else here) do not have the same anxiety as this Patriots game, or the COLTS game as the Packers game... The Packers game falls under "on any given sunday," whereas the Patriots or colts game falls under, "we better be ready to play" and WE WEREN'T!!!!

FOUTS

11. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

What twist?:icon_shrug:

12. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Where was the pass protection in the middle?

Where was the Power 50 over the left side?

What's LT doing stuffing the middle when he is best off tackle?

13. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    That made me smile a little...yeah we got smashed, owned, embarrassed, humiliated, run over...but maybe it will knock our confidence down a notch and our team will work harder to avoid that from happening again...

14. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    We were just talking about you .....

15. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    They're still probably recovering from the sound of defeat! :icon_eek:

16. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    UT headline: Chargers run into a Boston Massacre

:icon_eek:

Man, that's an understatement.

17. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Your chick radar prongs must be on the fritz .......

18. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

The sound sucked ... the video was horrible .... all my senses were beaten down.

19. swishbish33

swishbish33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    How many people here had a genuine belief the Chargers were going to win this game? To wit:

1. Home opener for them
    2. Primetime game
    3. "Us Against the World" mentality after this week's camera ****
    4. All the mouthing-off that went on this week

That's a lot to overcome when the other team is average, but the Pats are a very, very good team. That is apparent. And they wanted to smack the Chargers in the mouth, to prove to them and the rest of the world that they are legit. All that equals a slaughter like the one that occurred tonight.

As WonderSlug said, I'm not worried...yet. The Bolts have played two of the best teams (and defenses) in the league and are 1-1. Denver looks shaky at best, and the Chiefs and Raiders are non-existent. There is WAY too much talent on this team to fold up and finish 8-8.

They will still win the division. Bank it.

20. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I agree wrt Denver. They don't look as good as many thought. However, Mile High just might be enough to get them a "lucky" win versus us, like they got with the Raiders.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if we also lost to Green Bay :)icon_eek: ) but beat Denver at Mile High to swap win/losses.

In a way, I'd prefer THAT 4-2 record over the one I stated above. Because then we'd be 3-0 in the division and with one less AFC loss.

21. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    We'll be lucky to beat the Raiders and go 2-14.

j/k...but we do have to get our act together...tonight we can't blame anyone but ourselves...we were terrible. Come on Norv...step up! Statistically speaking, this would have been a very important win.

22. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Good thread Sluggo - way to keep this stuff in perspective! :icon_toast:

Reading all of the "panic" stuff would probably be a lot easier if I put on a video of the "Chicken Dance" and put it in loop mode. ;) So many folks bought into the hype and "ook ook" stuff you would think we just lost a playoff game (again).

Don't tell any of the "gloating turds" but we obviously weren't ready to play against an "elite" team in the 2nd week of the season and got beaten by a team that was far more ready to play Sunday Night Football. ;)

It was disappointing - not the end of the world, but disappointing our team didn't make a better showing. Now we have to worry about several injured starters.

Think I'll try to strech out again and ponder the wonders of the universe. ;)

23. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I was just going over the list of Inactive Players we had for Sunday Night's game:

6 Charlie Whitehurst (3rdQB)
    25 Paul Oliver
    34 Andrew Pinnock
    53 Anthony Waters
    72 Roman Oben
    87 Scott Chandler
    88 Eric Parker
    91 Brandon McKinney

Every coaching decision is a roll of the dice on this stuff - but both Roman and Brandon practiced all week and (as it turned out) we SURE could have used them. Hindsight is always 20-20 isn't it?:icon_shrug:

Depending upon the severity of injuries to Jamal and Olivia - we may see both of them active next week.

24. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Yeah, that's the same prediction I had when the schedule came out, with us going 4-2 going into the bye week, with losses to the Pats, and Denver, as a worse case scenerio, 5-1 best case, but 4-2 is more realistic.

We really didn't start rolling last year until the 7th game anyway, and LT only had one 100 yard game through the first 6 last year if I'm not mistaken, so nobody needs to panic.

25. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Playing the Bears, and Pats back to back to start the season is just TOUGH for ANY team. It was a tough job for Norv to start the season. Perhaps this will actually help us throughout the season, getting these 2 tough games out of the way, and prepare us better for the Colts later in the season.:tup:

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    We walked right into that ambush and couldn't get out. Our guys looked tired and moving at half the speed of the Pats. Our D couldn't stop them and our O couldn't get anything going. I'm not worried at all, but if this were in the last third of the season I might be a bit concerned.:bolt:

27. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I'm not panicking yet but very concerned.

Norv was brought in to take a very good offense to the next level. Through 2 games it has gone to the next level. A few levels down.

Rivers looks confused and uncertain. There is no continuity, no smooth flow. It seems as if they are trying to force it in to LT instead of just incorporarting him and the other players into the offense. Play calling has been a little questionable also and I thought that was supposed to be Norv's strength.

Let's hope these problems can be fixed. Otherwise we are in for a long season.:unsure:

28. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I don't think people are jumping off the bandwaggon, they are just voicing their displeasure with the team right now. I think most of the people who feel uneasy about the way things are going right now are the same people who have seen this happen many times in the past and have an understanding of how bad things can turn out if the current problems aren't fixed soon.

There are few people here who are actually giving up on the season. The rest are just realisticaly looking at the situation.

Sure the first two games were against good teams but it's not the fact that we lost it's how we lost. You would think that the top two teams would be a lot closer than what was shown on Sunday Night.