1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Parker rejoins Chargers in new role

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Mar 30, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    YUP, ERIC......................

:yes:

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/parker-rejoins-chargers.htm

When the Chargers’ offseason program begins next week there may be a few double takes as some players see a familiar face on the field.

Former Chargers wide receiver Eric Parker is back with the team after accepting an intern coaching position through the Bill Walsh NFL Minority Coaching Fellowship.

Head Coach Norv Turner brought in Parker knowing what his experience and work ethic would bring to the team. Parker will assist the coaching staff during the team’s offseason program, mini camp and training camp. In particular, he is working alongside Wide Receivers Coach Charlie Joiner as well as Jeff Hurd in the strength and conditioning program.

“Eric knows what it takes to be successful in this league and he can pass some of his experiences along to current players,” Turner said. “The (Minority Coaching Fellowship) program is really designed to expose guys like Eric to coaching in this league. It gives him an opportunity to work with Charlie, work with our offensive staff and work with Jeff and it will expose him to the experience of coaching.”

Parker is once again getting a second chance at a new career with the Chargers. In 2002, Parker left football behind and was working as a fitness trainer until the day the Chargers called and invited him to their training camp. He ended up spending six seasons with the club and led all Charger wide receivers in catches in 2004 and 2006.

If Parker had his way, he would still be putting on the pads on Sundays, but he also recognizes the limitations of his body after a serious injury. Following the 2006 season, Parker suffered a foot injury that brought about a premature end to his career.

“I still feel strong but I also know I can do a lot of other things besides play football,” said Parker, who played in 62 games with 40 starts during his six seasons with the Chargers. “I enjoyed playing football. I miss it. There isn’t a day that doesn’t go by where I don’t think about it. That’s every competitor. I think there is a limit to pushing your body. The toe (injury) … it was a big deal for me. There is nobody that still wants to play more than me. I loved it.”

Parker has been spending his time enjoying his next favorite passion: coaching. It was while he was coaching receivers at Helix High School that he heard about the internship program through his agent. Being able to work with the receivers while also helping with the strength and conditioning program appealed to Parker.

“Coaching was something I was always interested in,” Parker said. “I just didn’t know at what level. I know that I enjoy being a part of everybody aiming for the same goal and working hard to get there. That’s what really turned me on to coaching and also being there to be a positive motivation for the guys to be the best they can be. I had some very good coaches throughout my life and it’s a title that I think is big. It’s like being called pastor or, to some people, teacher. I think the title carries a lot of responsibility and enjoyment.”

Only being two seasons removed from being an active player with the team, Parker will be around many of his former teammates but doesn’t expect them to call him coach just yet.

“For me, it’s just being a tool at their disposal,” explained Parker. “I don’t expect guys to call me coach because I’m not. I’m an intern. I just want to help them out if they have anything they want to work on. If they want to stay out 20 minutes, 30 minutes or two hours catching balls, that’s what I’m here to do.”

All Parker really wants to do is learn. He’ll ask some questions, but mainly be a silent student observing the coaching staff at work.

“I really want to pick the brains of all these great coaches here,” Parker said. “I’m going to sit back and use my two eyes, two ears and kind of keep my mouth closed. I’m going to absorb everything and be able to take it with me for the rest of my life.”

In 1987, Bill Walsh created an intern program for minority coaches. Since the inception of the program, more than 1,300 minority coaches have participated in this program. Some notable coaches from the program are Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin, Bengals Head Coach Marvin Lewis and former Jets and Chiefs Head Coach and current ESPN analyst Herm Edwards.
    “I think the internship program is important,” Turner said. “Anything you can do to get your foot in the door. Obviously (new Chargers Assistant Secondary Coach) Cris Dishman was in the program a year ago and also participated in San Francisco when I was there. He was coaching at a small college and had the opportunity to get a job because of the program. Eric is coaching now. He wanted to coach. It’s a great experience for him.”

With some select veterans and rookies beginning their offseason program early, Parker already has been hard at work at Chargers Park trying to get a feel for his new role.

“It’s fun,” Parker said. “Every day you’re kind of given a new responsibility. I just want to do everything the coaches ask of me. That way I can stay out of the way and they can keep everything running smoothly. If they ask me to do something, I’m going to hit it hard. I want to learn as much as I can. Not too many people get this opportunity. I know that and will enjoy it.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Good ****. I think Parker will make a good coach. If you could transfer his knowledge, heart, fearlessness and effort into a more talented receiver, you'd have a perennial pro bowl receiver.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    That's awesome :)

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Good to hear he is doing well.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Maybe Parker's biggest fan will return to the forum in a new role...

Nah!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    Good to hear. I really hope he makes a go of it. One thing is for sure he will be giving it 100% and not pricking around like some might.

:tup:

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Uh, something tells me p00f/MD already knows.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Totally agree!

Welcome Back Batboy:tup:

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm surprised he hasn't graced us with his presence!

:lol:

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Good ****! Parker had (has) more heart than just about any NFL player I've seen in recent years. It's just to bad he didn't have the physical gifts many other NFL receivers have. Parker always did maximize what he had though. HE was fearless and clutch when it mattered (except for that one playoff game).

Could you imagine if you put Parkers' heart and desire and love of the game into someone like Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson? His physical gifts and Parkers heart and determination. You be looking at one of the greatest of all time instead of Ocho Cinco the punch line to a bad joke.

Anyways, I like that he just wants to learn. I know he'll give this all he's got. He's proven that's the type of person he is. And if he can transfer some of that heart and fearlessness into the Chargers receiver corps., then we're ahead of the game. This is a great move.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    You'd have Jerry Rice or Lance Alworth

:yes:

I'll give Norv this much, he sure has put a nice coaching staff together

:tup:

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Don't let him anywhere near a punt.

13. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Good news for EP and the Bolts. He is a good guy who can help us!!!

14. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    so dose that mean that MD can change his name back to poof???:icon_huh::icon_huh::icon_shrug:

15. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I'm real happy for EP...he gave his heart, body & soul to this team and he gave us all he had to give....I'm pleased to see the Bolts giving him something back, in a chance to pursue his coaching dreams and getting his foot in the door, and some hands on experience at the NFL level! :yes:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Chargers4lyfe

Chargers4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Highly agreed. :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    That was well said Lancer... I always like EP - he did more with less than 99% of the players I've watched since 1960. :icon_toast:

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

:lol:

19. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Good to hear that Eric Parker is a charger again as intern coach.

20. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    :tup: I approve this message. :abq2: