1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pass Rusher Formulas

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Duffman57, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    As i do...well....pretty much every year since Waldo left (2012 i believe), i'll be running the numbers for Waldo's formula. For an explaination, i'll let you guys read it on your own, how Waldo explained it himself below.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601

This year i've also added Josh Norris' "explosion" score/rating. This is similar. It takes into account just Verticle Jump, weight and 10 yard split (eliminating the Broad, by his description because its repeats vectors). 130 and above in this formula is very good.

Here's the spread sheet that i've put together. Eventually I'll add the 3-4 DE ratings like i did last year, but i'm mostly focused on getting the 3-4 OLB/Pass rusher ones done.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmG38OtkC7qLdE1JTDRwaUJvZ2ZZMGtWM3NHN052U3c&usp=sharing

Enjoy guys!

EDIT: And yeah i still gotta work some formatting stuff out, stupid thing keeps putting something like "9 1/2" into dates....if anyone knows how to fix it lemme know, for some reason i'm being dumb and cant figure it out right now...

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Edit... yeah... you still gotta work on not just copying and pasting your posts from FF straight over here and getting lazy.

Beneficial post and info for the folks here, but I'll be surprised if any of them know who Waldo is (aside from that striped-shirt chap you search for in books).

And you still haven't added Fortt!

3. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I just got back from work from 1-6. I'll add him now.

Also, i added the link, which was written by a guy named Waldo, i thnk they should put 2 and 2 together...haha

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Chris Smith, Marcus Smith, Demarcus Lawrence -- Good value in 2nd-3rd rounds for Chargers.

Intrigued by this Jonathan Newsome kid.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    There's a couple guys that according to the formulas and workouts should translate, but it doesn't show up on tape - could be late bloomers, in most cases it's not for lack of quality coaching: Jackson Jeffcoat, Kareem Martin, James Gayle, and Adrian Hubbard.

A couple others stand out as guys who showed today that they're athletic enough (3-cone, short-shuttle, and 10-yard split times were good enough - not great, but good enough): Murphy (he needs to get stronger up-top, but at absolute worst the guy is another Jarret Johnson once he fully develops), Ronald Powell (need to get bigger, period), Carl Bradford, and Kyle Van Noy.

Of the guys that didn't workout, both Attaochu, Aaron Lynch, and Ford should probably fare pretty well.

The real question is going to be how necessary looser hips by our WOLB is in our system - which is really a matter of how willing Pagano is to adapt the system to the players rather than pull the Norv and force square pegs in round holes. Guys like Lawrence don't have great hips and aren't going to be doing much in the way of covering guys - but they can still be worked with, even potentially as an eventual starter, if the coordinator is willing to line them up where/how they can best succeed, not just how where the scheme generically dictates "his position goes".

6. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    If a worthy pass rusher isn't there at #25, I'd really prefer to swing for the fences in the 3rd or 4th by taking someone with high end athletic potential. Lynch, Hubbard, or Jeffcoat. I don't think that a safe 2nd round choice is going to help us all that much in addition to what we already have (someone like Murphy). That is unless someone falls to #57 that I am not counting on like Attaochu.

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Aaron Lynch's potential if tapped, could be the best pass rusher outside Mack and Clowney from this draft. The kid has the measurables and all the talent in the world. Needs to get his head on straight; looking at USF tape he looks very uninterested and unmotivated. Then you get flashes of what could be if he played every down like he should and it's quite scary.

Problem is, we can scratch him off our board. Telesco doesn't draft these players with 'red flags' or 'character issues'. I think we have the vet leadership to steer him in the right path, but Telesco prefers good character and work ethic and I don't blame him.

8. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    After one draft and one year as GM, I have zero interest in trying to discern what TT does or doesn't do, will or won't do, thinks or doesn't think.

We really have no idea. And it will take a long time to build up a sample size that's adequate to make a case as to what his real inclinations and habits are.

People tried to do that with A.J. all the time.

"He doesn't draft RB's before the 4th round." > Ryan Mathews

"He won't take a WR unless they're tall." > Vincent Brown

It's pointless to me. And what he says to the media is worth next to nothing.