1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Passage to Manhood...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daddy_O, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Guess I'm bragging a little.

My 12 yr old went to Poway Lake Fishing Youth Derby on Saturday. He insisted on selecting his own tackle and bait. Went to take him up on Saturday Morning, and asked if he wanted me to go. He sent me home.

I get a call around 10:00 am. He is in second place with a 5.44 lb trout on 4lb. test.

End of the day, he took second place and won a bunch of really cool stuff.:icon_toast: (w/root beer, until he is 21)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,844
    NICE!:tup:

My wife and I got married at th gazibo at Lake Poway.

3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    right on Dad! Good for him!:icon_banana:

4. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    I'll put up some photos when we get them. Had to clean the fish on the tailgate of my truck the fish was so big.:tup:

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Dood, that is awesome! Poway can been a ton of fun on a good day. And they load that little lake up with trout before the derbys. I landed a four pounder at last years open derby, but 5.44 is a big healthy trout! Anybody else here fish the "grown up" derby @ Poway?

6. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    I might try it. Been taking the skiff out in the ocean for years and got used to 20lb + catches and can't bring myself to fight for shoreline ay Poway Lake. The place gets crazy on tournament day.

I have a spot where the good fish are. Maybe I'll go to the tournament and have my son win it for me.:lol:

7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    So....you are telling us that it was your wife who landed the biggest fish in Lake Poway's history. :lol:

8. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    If it flops like a fish and smeels like a fish.............:lol:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,844
    Line up I am gonna kick all yo nads!

10. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    "Why must you be such an angry young man, when your future looks quite bright to me" Styx.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,844
    And why must there be such a sinister plan, that can hide such a man...

12. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    Nice! Now I don't feel so old. Or maybe you're older than dirt like me.

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah man, I hear ya. It's tough to compare fighting a trout to fighting a yellowtail. But if you've got some half-way decent ultra light gear you can actually get some pretty good fights. I use super light tackle and line at poway 'cause the usual stockers are only a pound or two. But I'm tellin' ya, before the kids and adult derbys they stock with significantly bigger fish. And if you get a four or five pounder hooked and close enough to where he sees the boat, they really will give you a couple good runs and make that little reel scream. But I also, generally, get a boat and troll rather than posting up on the shoreline, I just enjoy it a little more. Plus boats are so cheap @ Poway, why not? I've got a decent trolling motor and you can rent a row boat for a full day for like $12...

From the shore jump off point is usually about the most productive spot on the lake. I also like the sandy area over in Boulder Bay. But you're totally right, the place is a freakin' zoo on tournament days. If you fish the open derby your best bet is to get there before midnight the previous evening to make sure you get yourself a good spot in line and on the lake. Last year, on the second day of the derby this crazy heavy fog rolled in. Now my buddy and I fished Poway like every weekend and never saw any fog like this on the lake. I'm telling you you couldn't see more than about 25 feet in any direction, made for a very cool and very interesting day of fishing.

[​IMG]

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Here's last years first day catch...

[​IMG]

my buddy in the fog with a 3.5

[​IMG]

second day with a mean sunburn and a 3.5

[​IMG]

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,057
    The answer is blowing in the wind

16. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    Nice run on the trout.

I guess it would be a good thing to start fishing there again. Get in a little male bonding crap with the little guy. Easier to run up the hill about 2 miles and fish trout than hook up the boat and head for the marina.

That fog was mad. I've seen it like that a couple of times, but only late at night or early in the morning on stealthy poaching runs.

17. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Calling all bolttalk.com anglers!

[​IMG]

I'll be coming out to San Diego with a buddy for the derby. It's really a lot of fun, and I'm tellin' ya. They stock Poway so full of trout that the fishing is unreal. If anybody else in interested in attending I'd be totally down to try to arrange a BBQ or something. Hell, if anybody just wants to go catch some fish hit me up and my partner and I will get separate boats and we'll get you on some fish.

Usually the line to get a boat starts at the gate at about 10:00pm the night before the derby. So if anybody is serious about wanted to get in a boat, get there early, or let me know and, like I said, my buddy and myself can get seperate boats and anybody else can either jump in with us, or I'll pair up with my buddy and ya'll can take the extra. Either way boats will sell out within the first 30-40 minutes so if you're not in line, you probably wont get one. But a boat is totally not needed and the shore line, through crowded (even with a boat the lake is still very crowded), should be very productive.

Hit me up if anybody else plans to roll out. :tup: