1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pastabelly on Oliver

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bawl Movement, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Bawl Movement

Bawl Movement BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I was just looking over Pasquerelli's notes on Insiders and liked his comments on Oliver.....

• Chargers will groom Oliver: San Diego probably took less of a gamble in the supplemental draft, selecting former University of Georgia cornerback Paul Oliver in the fourth round. Although he doesn't run well, Oliver is a terrific "ball athlete" with nice instincts, and, with their depth, the Chargers won't have to force him onto the field as a rookie. Instead, the San Diego staff can take some time to develop Oliver, with an eye toward 2008.

The guess is that starting right cornerback Drayton Florence will leave the Chargers as an unrestricted free agent next spring. Florence has been a steady but hardly spectacular performer in San Diego during his two seasons as a starter, but he will be pushed for his job this year by 2006 first-rounder Antonio Cromartie, and could end up as the nickel cornerback. The Chargers are set at left cornerback, with Quentin Jammer there, but the team would like to shore up the other side. Cromartie figures to be the starter by 2008 at the latest and, by that point, Oliver might be ready to regularly contribute as a nickel defender.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Something I NEVER read on any Chargers forum is what happens to the Chargers defense if Jammer is out for the year?

We are in a world of hurt.

Go through the progressions....Cromartie would have to step up and I am not real at ease with that fact just yet. Cro needs another solid year contributing. Watching him get burned in Cinci was not funny.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh come on. Every CB gets burnt. The fact that you can point to one or two times that Cro got burnt should be a good thing.

Heck how many times have we talked about the Burnt Toast corner when discussing Jammer. You talk about Cro getting burnt in Cinci, lets talk about the plethora of times that Jammer or Florence got burnt.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    If Jammer goes down I will smile.

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Uhhh....the way he got burned was not funny. Yeah they all get burned but Cro looked way lost. Jammer did not look that freaking lost and he was asked to start from the gun.

6. Bawl Movement

Bawl Movement BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    CB is one of the hardest positions to learn. Cro had his share of bad moments last year, as will Oliver this year. But each will get better with time and each have a good ceiling. Losing Jammer would hurt, but A.J. is assembling nice depth. Besides, Jerry Wilson is still available! :icon_eek:

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Who replaces Jammer?

If Jammer goes down, it is almost as bad as losing Jamal.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No, he didnt look, that is the problem isnt it for Mr. Yellow Flag! :icon_rofl:

Hopefully he has perfected the head turn by now...:icon_tease:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Cro does. The team keeps playing. AJ wouldnt have him on this team if he didnt feel he couldnt play.

Of course we dont want Jamster to go down with and injury. If he does however, Cro will make you a fan!:yes:

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Don't care. I hate him.

No it's not as bad as losing Jamal. Jamal is a pro bowler. Jammer is a scrub.

11. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    C.Hart :yes:

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

12. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Or maybe Eric Weddle?

13. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Events of 2002

- Rosie O Donnell comes out of the closet as a lesbian.
    - The New England Patriots beat the St. Louis Rams 20-17, in Super Bowl XXXVI in New Orleans.
    - U.S. invasion of Afghanistan: In eastern Afghanistan, Operation Anaconda begins.
    - In Houston, Texas, Andrea Yates is found guilty of drowning her 5 children on June 20, 2001. She is later sentenced to life in prison.
    - Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother dies.
    - Near Earth Asteroid 2002 MN misses our planet by 75,000 miles (120,000 km) about one third the distance to the moon.
    - The Last Toyota Supra is made at the Tahara plant in Japan.
    - Cincinnati's Cinergy Field is demolished.
    - After being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, 75% of San Diego Chargers fans label Quentin Jammer as "a scrub" according to a survey published by the Union-Tribune.

Hmmm....five years ago, I might have agreed with you....:whistling:

14. captaind

Ratings:
    +23
    Or Jue, in the event of an emergency. Hopefully we'll never reach that point.

15. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    :no:

16. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    I don't think Jammer is a scrub. He struggled early, but not every 1st rounder becomes superstar material right off the bat, and some don't ever get there. Right now, Jammer is not a bad db. No DB prevents 100% of the passes thrown his way.

17. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I read that and thought WTF as well. It's one thing not to like a player. But when I think "scrub", I think Sammy Davis. Or Elvis Patterson. Jammer at WORST is a solid starter. At best the guy is a borderline Pro Bowler. Anyone that sees differently is either dumb or drunk (I myself have the privilege of being both dumb and drunk, and a negative + a negative = a positive according to my 9th grade algebra teacher).

18. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    When I get dumb and drunk, my intelligence rivals that of Einstein's.

19. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    How does one "get dumb"? Aside from spending too much time in Trumpies Tacoma, that is... :icon_rofl:

20. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Haha .. I remember something about that in algebra as well.. :lol:

Seriously though .. I totally agree. When I think bad CBs for the Chargers, the 1st one that comes to mind is Elvis 'toast' Patterson. Good call.

21. captaind

Ratings:
    +23
    If he made (more, any) interceptions, he WOULD be a pro-bowler. But you aren't going to get many votes when the ball is constantly being thrown to the other side of the field. That fact alone speaks of his coverage abilities, but it just doesn't garner the same hype surrounding a CB who gets burned more often but happens to get more interceptions.

Personally, I think the guy has come a long way over the years. I'd be worried if he got injured.

22. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I've seen his mini-truck .... but I ain't gonna sit in it.

23. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    The alcohol makes me dumb - once the level of dumb catches up with the level of alcohol intake, I become incredibly smart and know exactly what I'm talking about.
    :abq1:

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    "It" grows brain cells in mice but the government does not want you to know that fact.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    actually its Negative X Negative = Positive

I'll take off my tweed jacket and put on my lawyer power suit now

26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    When I think of scrub, I think of someone getting beat by Ricochet "Big *** Bug Eyes" Caldwell for the long 3rd down completion to keep the game winning drive going in the biggest game of the year.

At least he didn't grab him. Much.

Scrubs choke. Playmakers don't.

27. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Details shmetails. :lol:

28. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Most players get burned at one point or another (including the overhyped Champ Bailey). So by your definition, most CBs would be scrubs. No CB can be a shutdown type of player the entire season.

29. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I have sat in the Lightning Chamber enough times to know of what you speak. :yes: It's just the foggy mindset that follows seeing the light that has me confused. :icon_rofl: