1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots-Chargers...Identity Check

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Blincoe, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Patriots-Chargers an identity test

Posted by Tony Massarotti, Globe Staff September 16, 2011 10:13 AM

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2011/09/patriots-chargers_an_identity.html

On the odd chance we had forgotten, “A Football Life” is once again reminding us. Even for Bill Belichick, success in the NFL is a week-to-week proposition. Losses can fuel victories and wins can trigger letdowns.

With that in mind, the San Diego Chargers will be in Foxborough Sunday.

Ah yes, the Chargers. Over the last several years, has there been a team in the NFL that has generally and more accurately reflected everything the Patriots have not? Under coach Norv Turner, the Chargers usually get less from more. Since the start of the 2004 season, the Chargers have won more regular season games than all but three teams in the NFL: the Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts. Of course, the Chargers are the only one of those clubs that has failed to win a Super Bowl.

During that same period of time, while the Patriots, Steelers and Colts have gone a combined 25-14 in postseason play and participated in seven Super Bowls (winning four), San Diego has gone 3-5 in the playoffs and failed to reach the big game even once.

Stay sexy, San Diego. But your football team is a choking outfit with a history of playing its best when the games matter the least.

Whether that translates come Sunday remains anybody’s guess, but this much seems clear: the 2011 Patriots will get a far better test this week than they did in Week 1 against the Miami Dolphins. Based on yardage, the Chargers had the top-ranked offense and defense in the NFL last season. And yet, in typical fashion, the Chargers accomplished all of that and somehow managed to miss the playoffs.

San Diego also was among only four teams to rank in the top 10 of the league in both points for and points against – the Patriots, Packers and Falcons were the others – and, of course, the Chargers were the only member of that group that failed to play in the postseason.

Last year, during Week 7 of the regular season, the Chargers outgained the Patriots, 363-179.
    And lost.

“It was our fewest production all season when we played them,” Patriots quarterback Tom Brady told reporters earlier this week when asked about the Chargers. “We had like 200 yards of offense – didn’t do really well in the red area, didn’t really run it great, certainly didn’t throw it great, didn’t protect as well as we’re capable. We were pretty fortunate last year playing them.”

Brady speaks the truth. The Chargers turned the ball over four times to the Patriots’ zero. On one instance, Chargers wide receiver Richard Goodman caught a 25-yard pass from Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers and hit the turf, then got up and left the ball on the ground for the Patriots (James Sanders) to recover it.

What a dope.

Still, in so many ways, the Chargers will be an excellent test for these Patriots, who outclassed the Dolphins in Week 1. Excluding the Patriots, the Chargers scored more points than any team in the NFL last year. Rivers is infinitely better than Miami quarterback Chad Henne. Turner often is criticized for being a mediocre head coach – Turner is 100-105 in his career – but he cemented his place in the NFL as offensive coordinator of the mighty Dallas Cowboys teams in 1992-93 and his teams always seem potent.

“They’re a tough team to get ready for,” said Patriots coach Bill Belichick. “Norv does a great job offensively with the usage of his talent and all the different formations and looks they give you, but they’re very sound. You have to play well against these guys – they’re a good football team.”

For the Patriots, particularly in the wake of last season’s playoff loss to the Jets, therein lies the fundamental question on Sunday: can the Pats play well? New England last year went 14-2 – the same kind of season the Chargers had in 2006 – only to be upended in the divisional playoffs. (In 2006, it was the Patriots who knocked off the heavily-favored Chargers.) Somewhat shockingly, over the last three years, New England has become the kind of team that plays its best when the games matter least. Belichick himself acknowledged this in “A Football Life,” the NFL documentary that aired last night and began recounting the 2009 Patriots season.

Speaking of the 2008 Patriots who went 11-5 and missed the playoffs, Belichick said, “We couldn’t beat the other good teams in the AFC.”

Back then, the difference was that the Patriots couldn’t beat the good teams during the regular season. Now, over the last two years, the Patriots just can’t win in the playoffs.

Come January of this year, the Patriots will have no excuses. Over the last two years, Belichick has overhauled much of his roster, particularly on defense, and changed the New England philosophy. Randy Moss is gone, replaced by a far more diverse offense that includes Deion Branch, a pair of blossoming tight ends (Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez) and a Mighty Mouse backfield. The defensive line has all but undergone a transplant. On multiple levels, the Patriots now have the kind of experience that should allow them to take the next step in getting back to, and winning Super Bowls.

The Chargers, after all, always have wanted to be more like the Patriots.

But in the last couple of years, at least, the truth is that the Patriots have been more like the Chargers

2. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ESPN drivel, being spoon-fed to the local beantown pundits...

4. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    What am I missing here?

5. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Is there a specific piece of drivel to which you allude, or is this a general condemnation of the entire piece? Perhaps you could point out the more significant pieces of drivel...if you are able. Thanks.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    It's a troll crossing pic.

Oh boy, this is gonna turn into a shitfest.

:geek:

7. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    It a caution sign for Trolls. :roflmao:
    Wheres my popcorn......

8. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Win the game...I'll send the popcorn.

9. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    you might be sending some sooner than you think

10. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Maybe....maybe not....:D

11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Chargers will win the game....... last year's team ain't this year's team.

#imjustsaying ;)

12. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    It's "stay classy" you corn-fed idiot.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    yea that guys a frickin moron, gotta be a country hick with a name of Buck. I wish he'd get the Buck outta here the peice of:poop:

14. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Dems fightin' words... coming off the fingers of a writer who doesn't have a dog in the fight.

Bolt Power, Buck is our sworn enemy this week and any other time we play the patsies, but he's good people and is often contributing.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    No, no....he's in the northeast not the mid-west.....corn fed....WTF? Lobstah fed.

16. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Hmmmm....always fun to get the opposition reacting. Maybe this is your year, BP...and maybe it isn't. Be cool...it's only the second game and it isn't even a divisional game...what are you going to do when the Raiders kick your asses IN SAN DIEGO?
    I joke, BP. It's all just fun this week...next week I get back to garden variety and probably boring football analysis. It's always fun in here when the Patriots defuse the Bolts. :whistling:

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY....Bring it.

17. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    "Lobstah fed."

(?)

I'll try to forget I just read that. Move on.

18. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Not to worry, Buckster. I actually believe it will be a good game and the Bolts will win 31-27, but that's my homer opinion. asfar as the Raiders, no way they beat us at home again this year. Norv hates them and Rivers hastoo much pride to allow the AFC West Bullies to doit again. we stop their run they have nothing, much like Minnesota:raiderssuck:

19. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm tired of opposing fans using that line as if its a slam against San Diego.

Defender gets a late hit..."stay classy San Diego."
    Rivers talks trash...."you stay classy San Diego."
    We beat the 49ers by 30pts...."stay classy"

What, do these assholes think their ******* clever? Do they think their being original?

20. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I really despise the Red sox and Pats fans. It's as if they always feel they somehow deserve the championships. It was how many years of the curses and the this and that...then bam! Brady's tuck...then Dave Roberts steals a base and poof... they are the best ever....Shut up and eat your chowda. Buck Blincoe however, is alright by me. he's been stopping by to harass us in a "all in good fun" way for some time.
    With that said, suck it Buck!

21. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I'm looking forward to a great football season. AFC football...it doesn't get any better.

22. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Not a Red Sox fan...but the Celtics are my passion....the Patriots are my religion.
    I'll be enjoying this Sunday's Bolt thrashing with Bloody Mary's with fresh limes from my year old Persian lime tree.

I really and truly believe you guys will win your Division this year. Great team.

23. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Don't forget the celery salt and Tabasco. Oh yeah, and don't forget the 1/4 ounce to a large dash or squeeze of fresh Shut your mouth juice! It's crucial for a good bloody mary for a Patriot fan.

24. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Horseradish makes the drink.

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Boston sports fans are really the most annoying I've met. A good friend of mine has a sister who has lived in Boston for 20 years, and she has completely been turned into your prototypical annoying Boston sports fan. We were at a bar in socal with her a few years ago during the deciding game 5 of a series between the Angels and the Sox. The game, like the series, was very close. After Boston won, you could not shut her up. She was screaming, "Fukk the Angles, they suck." She got in the face of every person in the place and just talked shiit for an hour. This is what Boston sports fans are like. They are the kind of arrogant pricks who would come to a Chargers forum and post an insulting, hate-filled article about the Chargers. Just a real diik move. Exactly what you'd expect from a Boston sports fan.

26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sorry, but "good people" don't come to a Chargers forum and post an insulting article about the Chargers while pretending to be a nice guy. Total dikk move. I've lost all respect for the guy. He's just your typical arrogant, annoying Boston sports fan.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Listen up, bitches ..... I'M the original Buck here. This other one is a chowder-stuffed invader. ;)

Better define which one you're talking about or I'll come crap in your wheaties. :p

• Like Like x 1
  28. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Heh, heh....some dude called us "country hicks."

OK, boys....I'll take the thorn out from under your saddles and shut up.

Good luck...eat lots of lobsters, clams, and baked beans if you are in Foxboro. May the team with the most points win. :D

Ciao until tomorrow.

29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    In case some of you newer dudes do not know.....Buck has been around here for a little while. He is not a "troll" and has taken Tomlinsons advice. ;) For the most he stays classy. :p

• Like Like x 1
  30. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Thanks, Doug...I always appreciate the support.