1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots could give Chargers a spark

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    For obvious reasons, there was not a lot of mirth among the Chargers after Sunday's loss at Miami. It took just about the least favorite of subjects to actually evoke a hint of a wry smile from one of them, that subject being their next opponent.

New England.

The Patriots.

Again.

“Yeah,” said Chargers center Nick Hardwick, both his expression and words open to interpretation. “That's always a good time.”

A different kind of fun, to be sure. Perhaps even the kind of fun, odd as this may sound, the Chargers could really use to make this season fun again.

It's a team still trying to figure itself out, and judging from the lack of both “attitude” and playmaking in the loss to the Dolphins, the Chargers don't seem much closer to working out their identity problem in 2008. Now that they're back under .500 at 2-3, momentum-free and licking their wounds from an encounter with another AFC East team, about the last thing you'd think the Chargers need to see is a team with all those NFL and conference championships, Tom Brady's unavailability notwithstanding.

On the other hand, several of the Chargers players acknowledged the team has come out flat in games, needing a good, swift kick to the back of their short pants. Something, anything to restart their fire.

C'mon. Who better to do that than the Patriots?

“Could be good and bad,” said LaDainian Tomlinson, a player who's very much symbolic of the Chargers' troubles and their feelings about New England. “We know it's going to be a heck of a competitive game. We know we've got to fight.”

More than any opponent in the NFL, including division rivals, no foe brings out the rage and fighting words in the Chargers like the Patriots. Some of that is professional rivalry. The Chargers have been eliminated from Super Bowl contention by New England in each of the past two seasons, most recently in the 2007 AFC Championship Game.

But this matchup has gotten extremely personal. Hardwick, while respectful of the Patriots in general and especially the New England defensive players he blocks, has not hidden his disdain for one of them in particular.

“Richard Seymour is the biggest (expletive) I've ever come across in football,” Hardwick said after the conference title game in January, won by the Patriots 21-12. “They've got 10 good football players on that team. Richard Seymour is a dirty, cheap little pompous (expletive).”

Just in case anybody missed his point, Hardwick offered elaboration.

“When Jarvis Green is on the field (in place of Seymour), they have 11 great players that compete how you're supposed to compete,” he continued. “But that Richard Seymour is the biggest (expletive) I've ever played. Head-slapping, foot-stomping in the pile, running by and throwing punches in your back late. He's a (expletive).”

For the record, Seymour denied any dirty play on his part and fired back, saying Hardwick's remarks were “classless” and that he'd rather handle their problems on the field instead of via the media.

“He's a grown man,” Seymour said, “and grown men usually try to own up to what happened and not rub it in, taking a loss like a man.”

Hardwick isn't alone in the offensive line in his agitation with Seymour. Before Seymour and left tackle Marcus McNeill ever entered into four quarters of hand-to-hand combat, they got into a pregame war of words near midfield. Talk about warm-ups.

Thing is, this kind of stuff doesn't even happen against the Oakland Raiders, yet it has become an every-game occurrence with the Patriots.

The fact that Philip Rivers also has verbally chastised a Pats player or two is not surprising, but New England even found a way to raise the hackles of Tomlinson, who has a hard time raising his own voice. Taking umbrage at the way the Pats celebrated their upset playoff victory over the Chargers in January of 2007, Tomlinson confronted the offending players at midfield.

Also in the ugly aftermath of that playoff loss at Qualcomm Stadium, Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips used the word “classless” in reference to the Pats.

“Shaun Phillips,” he said, “will have a grudge against them the rest of his career.”

Grudge or no, the Chargers are in neither the position nor the mood to take part in a lot more verbal sparring with the Patriots, at least not at this point. It's one thing to engage in trash talk when you're preparing for, playing in or just finished a postseason game, but quite another when it's early October and you've got a losing record.

“I think when you talk about this week's game right now, you have to consider our current situation,” defensive end Luis Castillo said. “It's not so much about who we are playing. It's about us getting certain things locked up. We'll have time later in the week to think about who we're playing.”

“The San Diego Chargers,” said guard Mike Goff, “need to take care of the San Diego Chargers.”

By Chris Jenkins

2. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    If we can't beat them without Brady.....all hope is lost.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I have no confidence we can win

4. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I have no idea how this rivalry spiraled so fantastically out of control. I like it, though, and it's fun to watch and talk about. I'm glad I don't have to strap on shoulder pads for either team and wade into the fray.

I try and take everything said, both about and by either side, with a grain of salt. Just because either team shares an opinion on Sportcenter doesn't make it true. There's a mental and physical facet to all sports. In one as violent and quick as football I think the mental side becomes that much more important. I imagine it takes a lot of motivation, or controlled anger, to take the field and run full speed into other large, strong guys. I think some of the targeted aggrandisements offered by some athletes are really taken to heart by fans and begin to take on a life of their own. It's no coincidence that "fan" is short for fanatic. Whether or not the accusations are 100% accurate isn't the point. If they elicit the intended response from their own teammates then the proponent of the accusation has succeded. What the fans take away from the accusation is practically immaterial to the team, but all important to the fan base.

There are plenty of people that began questioning LT's heart and dedication to his team after last years AFC Championship Game. There were analysts on t.v. and radio who over hyped everything from body language to the fact the L.T. wore his helmet all game when it was cold outside. Like I've said while defending the Pats, just because someone says it on t.v. or writes about it doesn't make it true. The definition of opinion is:

a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

That's all you really need to know about opinions. A fact is wholeheartedly different from an opinion.

Aside from all the B.S. and grandstanding that we'll all witness in the next 4 days, I just hope that everyone handles themsleves like professionals on the field this week.

• Like Like x 1
  5. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    At this point of the season, the players need to concentrate more on doing their individual jobs as team work, rather than think about who they're playing. Of course, they need to counteract the Pats scheme.

6. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    I don't watch ESPN, local TV sports pundits etc for opinions, I judge from what I see/hear from the players.

I saw LT with his wife at local Thanksgiving dinner turkeys being handed out to people. I saw him BEFORE that Patriot's game.
    He changed from the year before when televised doing his local donations/helping hand events.

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Can thse guys just shut the fuk up for a week and get out there and hit somebody? Is that too much too ask?

• Like Like x 2
  8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Yea, that's pretty much your M.O.

9. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    This game could go either way. Although I'm a dyed in the wool Pats fan, I'm not convinced at all they will win Sunday.

I'm hoping, but I'm not especially confident.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Cry me a river. Change your name to Ant4Life....

• Like Like x 1
  11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Whatever it takes...

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Gotta admit, there are some similarities; IMHO, both have quit on the Chargers.

13. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80

I'm with you. Both teams need to get to the business of football and address their shortcomings.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I know whatcha mean Bro.

15. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    If the O-line an provide Cassel the extended pocket protection like they did for Brady last year we'll be okay.

If Cassel has to improvise under pressure....well.....Sunday night is going to suck for Pats fans.

I'm just glad the Pats won't be competing with the Red Sox ALCS games.:icon_toast:

16. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

17. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

:icon_evil: Were gonna send those lying cheating bassturds to HELL where they belong :icon_evil:​

18. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +182
    Wilfork VS Hardwick scare me alot

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If we're as prepared for this game as we've been this whole season, I don't like our chances.

The players are going to have to learn to coach themselves just like last season and it starts this Sunday!!! :bolt:

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Win or lose... Norv's still the greatest!!!

GOD BLESS NORV!!! :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Damn you change your tune a lot...

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Just trying to fit in.
    I get it... It's not about the Chargers, it's ALL about Norv!!!
    Win or lose, we are absolutely blessed to have him!!!
    Screw this promising era... Norv, Norv, Norv!!!!

GO NORV GO!!! :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Finally you get it!! :lol::icon_tease::icon_party:

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    WHY THE FRICK DO WE NEED SOMEONE TO GIVE US A SPARK!!!

SHOULDN'T THE PLAYERS BE ABLE TO DO THAT ON THEIR OWN???

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

IF ONLY WE HAD A COACH THAT COULD MOTIVATE!!!

:icon_tease::icon_tease::icon_tease:

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

It's not his fault that this cheap a** ball club won't supply him with any talent!!!
    He has absolutely nothing to work with!! :lol: :icon_tease:

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This shows you have clear understanding of the difficulties Norv is facing. Thank you for taking the time to reconsider your position. We're glad you've come around. :icon_wink::headbang::eyepoke:

• Like Like x 1
  27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't think Vince Lombardi could get this team winning!!!

If Norv can't do it, no one can!!! :no:

Now we just need Leaf to come out of retirement and start building around him!!! :lol: :icon_tease:

28. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Damn Straight! Well said.

29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    The Patriots have won 12 consecutive road games, the second best streak in NFL history behind San Francisco (18 from 1988-90).

Time to end another streak then. :tup:

30. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Yea like the penington one......

I have confidence that our D will show up and play like the first game in indy last year. Thing is....if the offense is going to come to play. The pats D-line looks very scary right about now.

Key for victory: who wins the Wilfork vs. Hardwick match up.

• Like Like x 1