1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots not what they seem?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerlipz, Jan 12, 2008.

1. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I know the it's popular to crown the Patriots the best team to ever grace the football field, but I am not really impressed. I will give them credit for going 16 and 0, but let's look at their strength of schedule and their division. They are in pretty much the worst division in the league aside form themselves.
    New England-16-0
    Buffalo-------7-9
    N. Y. Jets----4-12
    Miami--------1-15

Not only that, but you look at their strength of schedule and their opponents' win percentage average is .451. That means their opponents average record was right around a 7-9 record.
    I am not trying to take anything away from what they have done. They have had a phenomenal season that would make any opposing teams fans envious. However, I would be more blown away if their opponents win percentage was more like the Colts whose is around .515. Even our own would be more awe inspiring which is approximately .500.

Or maybe I just don't like them and am finding any reason I can think of to hope they lose, because they're a bunches of spoiled *****e$.

GO CHARGERS!!! KICK THE COLTS' ASSES!!!

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    And to think our last opponent and our next one keeps saying we play in a weak division. I think even ours is better than that one.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    It doesn't matter. You can look at all the teams in the playoffs and they all got there by beating shittier teams.

They are still 17-0 and hosting the AFC Championship and that is an accomplishment in itself.

4. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    SCREW THE PATS

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Hopefully we can beat the Colts. Maybe it's just me but I think our CBs matchup nicely with the Patriots receivers. Moss vs Cro, Jammer/Flor vs Welker, Jammer/Flo vs Stallworth, Jammer/Flo vs Gaffney.

Depending on the formations and who's starting.

And we have the guys to apply pressure, we'd need to use one of our LBs to spy Faulk because of the screens.

Not saying it'd be easy but as far as matchups I think we have the guys to go one on one with their WRs.

6. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    C'mon, the schedule wasn't all that easy.

@ NY Jets W 38-14
    San Diego W 38-14
    Buffalo W 38-7
    @ Cincinnati W 34-13
    Cleveland W 34-17
    @ Dallas W 48-27
    @ Miami W 49-28
    Washington W 52-7
    @ Indianapolis W 24-20
    @ Buffalo W 56-10
    Philadelphia W 31-28
    @ Baltimore W 27-24
    Pittsburgh W 34-13
    NY Jets W 20-10
    Miami W 28-7
    @ NY Giants W 38-35

Acutally, in case you forgot, the Cowboys were the pride of the NFC, AND, undefeated when the Pats came into their house, ON THE ROAD, and won.

Oh, yeah, then the Pats went ON THE ROAD to Indy, in their pressure cooker of a dome and defeated the only other undefeated team in the league.

7. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    And not to mention they kicked our ***. They looked unstoppable on offense tonight.

8. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Still you have to admit that your Patriots have struggled against some pretty bad teams, yea they won, but it's not something to be comfortable with.

Those teams had something in common they pressured Brady, I think that's where the Jags failed tonight. Yet they kept it relatively close. Either the Patriots are on cruise control or they've stumbled a bit.

The Patriots now are nothing like the Patriots earlier in the year. Doesn't mean the Patriots will lose but it doesn't look like an impossibility like it did earlier in the year.

9. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Jaguars didn't pressure Brady. I think they blew the game by playing soft.

10. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Any team is beatable on any particular day.

I really enjoyed the blow outs earlier in the season. In all the previous, successful seasons you need to remember that every game was a "heart attack special" for Pats fans. They always found a way to win, but at the last second, all the damn time. You never were assured a victory until the last second ticked off the clock.

I don't care how they win, as long as they win.

They always seem to find a way to win(except for last year in Indy.....yards away from a first down and another Super Bowl victory).

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Exactly what I was thinking. The Jags didn't play their game, which is a more physical. All they did was contain the passing game. And Brady still lit them up with the short stuff.

12. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    If you play safe Brady will pick you apart. If you attack Brady, maybe you might get burned but at least you're challenging him. It's the only way to beat him or really any pocket QB, as long as you can do it without having to sell out with all out blitzes.

13. Fighterdelafoo

Fighterdelafoo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I think the Jags played a pretty smart game. They didnt blitz but Randy Moss was kept out of the game.... and Welker was too for the most part. They only had a couple plays that went over 25 yards. The only problem with the way the Jags played the Pats was that their offense was going to have to keep up with Brady.. and they almost did. If it wasnt for a Northcut drop on the NE one and the early fumble that lead to a TD the Jags would have had a great chance to win.

You have to play an almost perfect game to beat the Pats... Hopefully the Bolts will get the chance to play that game.

14. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155

That's nice that they stopped those 2 but the Patriots have too many weapons, and Brady can do just fine with average targets. You give Brady the time, he'll just wait for someone to get open. He was perfect until the 2nd half and the Patriots punted once or twice.

92.9% completion, that was Brady's season high.

15. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Agreed, and here's to a great matchup next week after we handle the Clots in about 10 hours. :icon_toast:

16. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    They didn't really stop Welker, either, they gave up 4-6 yard passes to him all night, plus a bunch of other times he was wide open but Brady found a better target.

There's not way you can give Brady that much time to throw. If you do, he will never miss. 28 passes and he missed 2, one of which was because the receiver dropped it? Plus they gave up 122 yards on the ground over 22 carries with their soft zone and lack of pressure up front. That's a recipe for disaster, which is what they got.

You've got to get in Brady's face, make him make mistakes. He's not perfect unless you let him be, like the Jags did tonight.

17. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I was pissed at the time, but now I am glad that the Jags gave that look tonite. Now we know how Tom reacts with three and four guys rushing the passer, and the end result is that we can't approach that the same way.

You need to hit that guy in the mouth to win.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, I thought that the Jags needed to be more forceful, they gave Brady too much time in the pocket.

Today Peyton will get a taste of what we have in store for Brady next week. :tup:

19. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    The combination of Brady and Welker is the one that teams need to worry about.

If Randy continues to run down field and draw coverage, Wes Welker will continue to pick people apart. He's so quick, agile and small that he comes up with some substantial YAC stats.