1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots sign veteran Lynch

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Hit by injuries in secondary, Patriots sign veteran Lynch

The New England Patriots have reached an agreement with nine-time Pro Bowl safety John Lynch on a one-year, $1.5 million deal, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.
    Patriots coach Bill Belichick met with Lynch on Wednesday, and the former Denver Broncos star took a physical. The Patriots have been hit by injuries in the secondary, both at safety and cornerback. Safety-linebacker Tank Williams had a season-ending knee injury in their first exhibition game.
    Lynch and the Broncos amicably parted ways late last month after he told coach Mike Shanahan he wasn't happy with his reduced playing time. He had been with Denver the past four seasons, making the Pro Bowl in every one.
    But with Marlon McRee playing well, Lynch saw little playing time in nickel and dime packages early in training camp. McRee started all 16 regular-season games for San Diego last season.
    After leaving Denver, Lynch, a veteran of 15 NFL seasons, said he could sign elsewhere.
    "I still have a great passion for the game of football," he said at the time. "I still very much love it in my heart. I still feel like I can compete at a Pro Bowl level, but the situation is going to have to be right. I'm not going to just play for any team or any situation."
    Lynch, who spent his first 11 seasons with Tampa Bay, played every snap in Denver's last three games in 2007, but earlier he was taken out on passing downs.

NFL.com Wire Reports

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Pats are on an anti-youth movement it seems.

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Astonishing! It seems like whenever some old timer gets released, the Pats sign him.

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    youth = longevity = dynasty. the pats days are done. who are they gunna sign next? marshall faulk? warren sapp? good for lynch. let him finish at least with a 500 team.

5. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Who is this Marlon McRee fellow?

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Please tell me they'll put Lynch and Harrison in the same safety tandem? That's just itching for deep bombs all day

7. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    [​IMG] goodbye Seau

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Even though he is alot older, i really hope this doesnt have the same effect that Rodney had when he went to NE

9. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    It is a genius budgetary move for the Pats...now they have another player who can hit the Seniors Menu at Denny's!...but seriously, Lynch still has a little left in his tank, but at his age and with his mileage I suspect he will miss some games before the end of the season due to wear and tear. Didn't he have a shoulder problem last year?

If they need a little help on offense, I believe Paul Hornung is available...OK, dude's pushing 70, but he could play, and he is still a little annoyed that LT pushed him out of the record books.

:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    damn, now I have to call him c*cks*cker too.

and I think it was a neck injury last year

11. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    You mean the HGH effect?

But seriously, Lynch is older than Rodney was when he left.

Seriously. So long as Lynch doesn't cheap-shot Philip and dislocate his shoulder.

12. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
  13. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He does that he couldn't come back to san diego again regardless of what his dad does on the radio

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  16. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Heh, so doing it once is cool, but twice gets him run out of town?

17. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Supposedly, Lynch was crying to Shanarat about his reduced role with the Donks. Once McCree starts showing what he's actually made of...Lynch would have found his arse right back in there nearly every down. What does he think Belicheat has in store for him? He'll be a 1 to 2 down player at best.

18. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    He either wanted to play every down or get a ring. He came here first, was turned away, and went to NE.

19. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...He came here first? Are you serious?? Didn't he know that A.J. will NEVER sign Donkey Dung?

20. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I apologize for not being able to remember the source, but I read an article that said Lynch approached San Diego, but was told "Thanks, but no thanks."

21. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I read the same thing.

22. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    McCree for Lynch would've been a fair trade. Lynch hasn't lost a beat, he just gets injured more. He's still a great safety and McCree is not as good but all the donks care about is POTENTIAL (Cutler, Marshall, Royal) so they would drool over McCree.

23. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Oh he has potential alright. The potential to leave a teammate hung out to dry. The potential to get beat like a drum by half the receivers in this league. The potential to not be man enough to admit he made a mistake in the biggest game of his life, AKA put the ball away and lay down with it if you're stupid enough to intercept a 4th down pass in the closing moments!!!!

As for Lynch, he's sucks trying to cover. He's like a very small linebacker...that's about it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Last time I saw Lynch he was playing decently until he was forced to cover a reciever As far as short down situations and blitzes, he's one of the best. He's a smart (STANFURD Grad.) guy that makes good decisions but everyone's right; he's no every down safety.

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is another guy Gates, Jackson and Chambers can exploit and L/t Hester can run over.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    ...and he will not be used except to defend the run and blitz. Watch.

27. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    im thinking they shold get senior discounts when buying steroids? :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  28. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    When the Patriots go to Denny's, half the team can use a senior discount!

29. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly, well put RC. :yes:

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    **** Lynch - now he's dead to me. :icon_evil:

Not that I ever liked him - but now I must hate him. :yes: