1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots sign veteran WR Joey Galloway

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)—New England has signed veteran wide receiver Joey Galloway, giving the Patriots two of the most prolific active receivers in the NFL.

The 37-year-old Galloway has a 15.7 yards-per-reception career average. That leads all active NFL players with 300 or more career receptions and is just ahead of New England’s Randy Moss, who has a career average of 15.6.

Galloway and Moss are also among only nine active receivers with 10,000 or more career receiving yards.

Galloway has caught 682 passes for 10,710 yards in his 14 seasons with Seattle, Dallas and Tampa Bay. Moss has 843 receptions for 13,201 yards.

Galloway was released by the Bucs in February after an injury-plagued year.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

2. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Could Brady's arm be looking great during his conditiong, and they wanted to put another great long-ball catcher at his disposal? At least the injured knee isn't on his plant leg.

Good trade...Pats passing contingent will be fearsome if Brady does in fact come back in great form. The Patriots off-season game still seems to produce excellent results.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Beware of 37 year old speed receivers.

4. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    He should catch a few key passes. Having Moss, Galloway, and Welker all running routes at the same time will cause some angst among many pass defenses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    This receiving corp is getting older rapidly.

6. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    All teams experience aging players. There are still a group of great receptions left in the Pats receiver corps, and the running game is getting stronger. Drafts, trades, and aging determine what positions and "corps" get the attention. The Patriots receivers haven't fallen to chopped liver level yet. There is still a lot of mileage left.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    The Pats will continue to be a contender - of that I have no doubt. Older doesn't always mean washed up guys. I still miss Keenan McCardell :( that man may have been "old" but he really made a difference for us. Plus, NE has a way of getting the best out of their senior citizens ;)

I hope the Bolts have the opportunity to beat them with Brady at the helm in the playoffs - Pats, Colts and Pittsburgh. It will be good competition for us and a big step towards living up to our potential. :yes:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    All I remember about him is that he looked like he was the next big thing when he was in Seattle.
    He decided that he was too good for the Seahawks, so he wanted to be traded.
    Dallas paid him a s**t load of money and he got all kinds of commercial endorsements.
    He got all the $$$$$ and got lazy.
    Seahawks went to the playoffs. The Cowgirls did not.

Only reason he's still a known name is because of back in the 90s.
    Of course ESPN gave him all kinds of love when he signed with the Cowgirls.
    He got some Nike and Gatorade commercials.

10. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I think the Patriots were smart to snag both Galloway and Fred Taylor. There's nothing wrong with adding some depth even if these guys are up in years. They can both still play....something I wish a certain GM with the initials AJ would realize. I don't get it...follow the roadmap to success. Belichick and the Patriot's methods in general are deeply imbedded in AJ's mind. He almost idolizes them. Free agents like these two were not expensive, they fill a void and will no doubt contribute.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Pats have been doing this (grabbing aging vets for a good price and sprinkling them in) for years with great success. I expect this trend to continue.

• Like Like x 1