1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots talk to Chargers about Mankins-Jackson trade

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Oct 7, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    straight from NFL.com

The New England Patriots have two issues: They need a big-play wide receiver after trading Randy Moss, and Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins hasn't budged in his contract holdout.

The team has tried to resolve both problems by holding preliminary talks with the Chargers about a deal that would send Mankins to San Diego and bring wide receiver Vincent Jackson to Foxborough, Comcast SportsNet New England reported Thursday, citing a source.

Jackson was a Pro Bowl alternate last season and, like Mankins, is holding out because he wants a long-term deal, not the restricted free-agent tender he was offered. Unlike Mankins, however, Jackson was placed on the roster exempt list by the Chargers, meaning he must sit out three games if he signs or is traded.

Mankins' agent rejected the idea of the Patriots and Chargers making the deal for a simple reason: Neither player has signed a contract.

Frank Bauer told the Boston Herald: "Somebody can call me tomorrow and say, 'You've been traded to Cincinnati,' and I can say, 'No, no, no, no. You got to have a contract.'"

The San Diego Union-Tribune confirmed that trade talks have been held, but it termed the chances of a deal happening as "highly unlikely." The newspaper reported that the Chargers' asking price for Jackson is a first- and a second-round pick, but the Patriots might not be willing to meet that price.

If the Patriots do land Jackson, he would be a younger replacement for 33-year-old Moss, who was dealt to the Minnesota Vikings on Wednesday. Jackson, 27, has posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and, at 6-foot-5, provides quarterbacks with a big target.

Mankins hadn't missed a game in his NFL career before the holdout and is considered a premium guard. However, the Chargers are set at the position with veteran Kris Dielman and second-year pro Louis Vasquez.

Thoughts?

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Retarded trade.

1) We don't need a guard.
    2) Mankins wants as much money as VJack does, we may as well just sign VJack.

I see no chance of this happening.

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yeah, I got a thought... IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN!

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, we would not trade Jackson for Mankins. The Bolts are really happy with their guard play. No way they trade for another guard who wants a big contract. Doesn't make sense.

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    To be fair, I believe you said the same thing about bringing in an ilb while calling me hacksaw. If I were looking for common denominators I'd say what doesn't make sense to you is what the Chargers are going to do.

:)

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    How do you trade someone for someone who is not under a contract?

7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Also they had Mankins contract agreed on, all they wanted was an apology from Mankins for comments that he had made about Kraft during his holdout. Our line would be better with him, but I do not see this going through.

8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Didn't VJ or his agent also make some disparaging remarks about the front office management here in SD lately? Starting to sound like a coinkidink...

Pointy

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I say a snowball has a better chance down in the hot depths ifin ya know what I mean...

10. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    How about VJ to the Pats for a 1st and 3rd?

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No team would even pay a 2nd and 3rd 3 weeks ago. They are giving up more to get less

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    To be fair, I called you hacksaw because you said you had mysterious unnamed inside sources in Minnesota. I just thought it sounded funny. As for the ILB signing, I didn't know about the injury to Siler when I said that. It sounds like he's not going to play this weekend, so it makes sense that the brought in a guy as a stop gap.

As for the Mankins/Jackson deal, I really don't see it as happening for several reasons. The biggest of which is that the Chargers are pretty well set at guard. Dielman is very good. Vazquez is really coming into his own and Green played pretty well last weekend against Dockett.

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It wouldn't be less if the Pats could sign him to a long-term deal. That was the snag a few weeks ago. If you sign a guy to a long-term deal versus a single year contract, his value goes up alot.

Acee says the Chargers are asking for a 1st and 2nd from the Pats. Sounds like it's sort of a "go phuck yourself" asking price.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The pats wouldn't sign Moss to a deal, they aren't signing VJ to a deal, especially since he is a bone head off the field and is facing an 8+ game suspension the next time he screws up.

The Pats are not as stupid as the Cowboys. They don't get up a ton for players. They bring in players that are cheap, like when they brought in Moss for a 4th round pick.

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    yup and its because they are not getting their way.

Mankins made some remarks prior to his contract even being negotiated about Kraft. The negotiations went along and a contract was finalized and agreed on in principal. THEN Kraft wanted an apology from Mankins. Mankins then called Kraft and they worked out their differences. THEN Kraft wanted a public apology from Mankins after the apology was made. Mankins told to them shove it.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Sources: Logan Mankins, New England Patriots deal dead over apology - ESPN Boston

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
  18. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Straight from NFL.com but written by an unnamed staff writer. In the second paragraph we are told
    how reliable this source is:

"...Comcast SportsNet New England reported Thursday, citing a source."

So I dug a little and here is the linky that includes a pretty good video:
    Patriots, Chargers talking deal for Vincent Jackson

In the video they mention the Pats looking to get Jackson (oviously) and Deion Branch as a complimentary receiver.
    I don't like the sound of that. I'm pretty sure this will not go down unless Belichick does the same for AJ.
    So yeah, we do not need another guard.

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Sirius NFL radio reporting that the Pats are looking to acquire Deion Branch from Seattle. Also reported that Tom Brady has been in contact with Branch right around the Moss trade.

They wouldn't have to give up much for Branch.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

games are won on the line of scrimage, why wouldnt you want a pro bowl guard to compliment a pro bowl tackle?

21. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    A case for Vincent Jackson and Logan Mankins showing up to work

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 8, 2010 9:38 AM ET

The Chargers and Patriots have discussed a deal for Vincent Jackson, but multiple reports indicate that a deal is unlikely. Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune says including Logan Mankins in a possible swap is even more unlikely, because the Chargers don't need help at guard.

That doesn't mean both players will sit out the season. In New England, there's been a general sense that Mankins could eventually come to work. After all, he was reportedly close to a big contract extension at one point. His problems with the Patriots almost seem more personal than financial at this stage.

Vincent Jackson appears more steadfast in his holdout, but Jason La Canfora makes this case on NFL.com that there is a "strong probability" both players will show up by Week Ten.

"If they sit out the entire season, there is still a very, very strong chance they end up right back where they are -- restricted free agents," one CBA "expert" told La Canfora.

There are clauses in the current CBA that is reportedly worrying the union when it comes to Jackson and Mankins. They may not want to risk winding up in the same position next year.

It's hard to predict what language will be in the next CBA, and whether it would allow Jackson and Mankins to be free agents in 2011. We're in uncharted territory.

"Even if we tried to challenge that language through a grievance or a settlement, there's no guarantee we would win," a union source told NFL.com. "There is no way to guarantee in any instance they would get the language they want."

Thus far, the action on the field isn't helping Jackson and Mankins' leverage. Philip Rivers is on pace to break Dan Marino's single season passing record. The Patriots have scored the most points in the league.

22. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    This cant be true...

"The newspaper reported that the Chargers' asking price for Jackson is a first- and a second-round pick"

No player I've ever heard of worth a 1st and 2nd was offered a 3 million dollar one year contract. Asking price is way too high for someone we obviously dont value.

We dont need a guard, we dont need a pro bowl WR, we dont need anything. This team is set and ready to roll.

23. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I tend to agree. I don't think anyone is willing to meet the Charger's price for VJ. If the Vikes didn't do it, who will? That means he stays here and signs his tender, then leaves. We get little to nothing in return. If you are running things like a business, at least get something for VJ instead of the enjoyment of messing with him.

A Pro Bowl guard for an unhappy, but talented, mess of a receiver. While I like who is on the line, does having more options really hurt?

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    There is always a surplus of receivers in every draft. How many times does a pro bowl Lineman STILL in his prime come up?

I'd pull that trigger in a heart beat! Get rid of VJ and get a quality Lineman in the process!

WE need beef, and once again you guys think we don’t! Everyone was screaming at the beginning of the season about our line sucked. Now where are you?

Pro Bowl Linemen do not become available very often, and we have the chance to get one.

If that’s the case I do not want to hear one little whine about any line play this year from any of you.

25. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Tom Brady, Deion Branch reportedly discussed the receiver's possible return to the New England Patriots - ESPN Boston

Report: Brady knew trade was in works

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady recently was in touch with Seattle Seahawks receiver Deion Branch about the possibility of having him rejoin New England to fill the void created by the trade of Randy Moss to Minnesota, a league source told the Boston Globe.

The source also told the Globe that Brady had been in touch with Branch during the past week because he knew the Moss trade was in the works.

And according to the Boston Herald, the Patriots and Seahawks have had preliminary talks about the possibility of a Branch trade.

Branch, who has 13 catches for 112 yards and one touchdown this season as part of a deep receiving corps in Seattle, will meet with Seahawks general manager John Schneider to discuss his future with the team, the source told the Globe.

Branch played for the Patriots from 2002 to 2005 and was named MVP of Super Bowl XXXIX. He was traded to Seattle for a first-round draft pick before the 2006 season after a contract dispute with the Patriots.

He told the Boston Herald earlier this year he would welcome a return to New England.

"That'd be interesting to see," Branch said. "You know what, I talk to guys all the time. I never wanted to leave, nor did coach [Bill] Belichick and his staff and the organization want me to leave, either. We just couldn't get the contractual part down. We just couldn't come to an agreement. And that stuff happens.

"I still love Coach Belichick and if the opportunity presents itself to come back, I would love to be there."

I see this happening before a VJ to NE trade

26. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    It's not a big deal. I didn't think I was being mysterious by not naming my source, considering who it was I don't think it would have made one bit of difference. I didn't mean anything by it, just remembered the last time you said something didn't make sense.

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You do not have to reveal your sources to anyone and if they do not believe it - tough titties.

• Like Like x 1
  28. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I didn't mean anything by it either. Just having some fun.

29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    but nothing around here makes sense, and I can prove that

30. ChargerFanInBuf

ChargerFanInBuf Representin... NY Chapter

Ratings:
    +1
    Has Vazquez ever played RT at any level? That's the only way I could see this being feasible...