1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pats in trade talks with Vikings....Moss on the block?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BeerGuy, Oct 5, 2010.

1. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    It sounds like the Pats are looking to send Moss to the Vikings.

Will they come after VJ when the deal is done?

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    "come after VJ"? You mean like next year? Imagine what AJ would be asking for in a trade with the Pats. They'd never cough it up.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They are a team that follows the motto "Get rid of a guy a year too early is better than a year too late". You never see guys just walk away. If they don't plan to re-sign a guy, they do the right thing and trade them to get something in return. They even did it to local legends like Bruschi, Seymore, and Vrable. I think that is a page the Chargers should take from their book

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    I thought Bruschi retired? Vrabel & Seymour were traded.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
  6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Hey BG! How ya doin'? Nice to see ya back.

7. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Who is Brady gonna throw to??? You can't rely on a blocked FG returned for a TD, a kickoff return for a TD, a INT return for a TD, and a blocked Punt to set up an easy TD every game like they had against the Dolphins. That happens once, MAYBE twice a year with Special teams. I knew he was gone when he had that press conference after the first game and talked about his contract. If Welker goes down again, they are F*CKED !!!

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You may be right. For some reason I thought he got traded prior to retiring, but I am probably wrong.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I guess this means the Vikings aren't stupid for passing on the VJ trade. Although I would rather have VJ long term than Moss, for a 1 year rental, Moss is only costing a 3rd while VJ would have cost a 2nd

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Welcome back BG, where u been?. Sounds like a good deal for both teams. Like someone said though, they need Welker to stay upright.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    sure doesn't look like they would miss him but.

9 catches 22 targets.

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Done deal. Moss is traded back to Vikes.

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    What are the details of the deal? Do tell.

Pointy

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I don't really understand this move by the Pats.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The Pats give Moss away for the 3rd round pick

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He isn't doing anything on the field, and will walk for nothing at the end of the year, plus has started becoming a distraction with his contract demands. No one knows what was happening behind the scenes, maybe they are looking at this as addition by subtraction.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Mike Florio is on XX Radio right now and he is saying that Moss was becoming a HUGE distraction in the locker room. On top of that, they get a 3rd this year, which can be traded rather than a 3rd or 4th comp pick in 2012 which cannot be traded. And the way most draft pick trades go, a pick one year can be traded for a pick in the round earlier the following year. So a 3rd this year is viewed as equivalent to a 2nd in 2012, which is A LOT better than a comp pick

18. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Locker room issue or not, poor human being or not, dude can straight play the position. Trading away your #1 receiver during the year is pretty stupid. Welker is not 100% yet. The rookies havent shown me anything. I understand they are happy at TE, but this is not the AFC East of old where Brady could do modelling shoots during the game and still win 13 games. My guess is NE finishes 3rd above the terrible Bills in the East now. I mean seriously, did you see the one hand catch in the end zone?? You gonna trade that?? Stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    The speculation is that the Patriots could pursue VJ. And they have 2 of each 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders in next April's draft.

20. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    But what does this mean for VJ? Looks like his value just took another hit. If a team would rather have a player that is a known locker room cancer over VJ, it must be making VJ and his agent just a bit nervous right now... It would be even funnier if a team like the Patsies passes on him and they get someone else. Just my observation.

Pointy

21. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    The Pats O just became easier to defend now without the huge deep threat that Moss was. Good news for the rest of the AFC.

• Like Like x 1
  22. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Exactly, which is why I don't think the Pats are gonna "go after VJ". They have no leverage. What, are the bolts just going to give him away to a rival? If I was AJ, I'd stay put and keep VJ on the sidelines. If AJ makes the trade he helps out both VJ and the Pats, two entities he has no interest in helping.

The only way I trade VJ is if I get a 1st and 2nd. I'd wait a couple more weeks too, just to see how desperate the Pats get. I can't help but think that Bill's ego will get the best of him and he might part with a few of the 37 draft picks he's accumulated.

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    If I was a Pats fan, I would take this to mean that the team knows it will not win a Lombardi this year. They are building for next year and the years beyond.

That being said, the biggest mistake the Pats made was trading for Moss in the first place. The next time Moss shows up in a big game will be the first time. Moss is great at catching TDs during 40 point blowouts, but how often does he come through with a game on the line? And as he ever had a big game in the playoffs?

24. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Report: Randy Moss had halftime outburst at Patriots assistant

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 6, 2010 1:51 PM ET

The Patriots' decision to trade Randy Moss to the Vikings may have been motivated by an incident at halftime of New England's Monday night game in Miami.

Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com reports that Moss and Patriots quarterbacks coach Bill O'Brien had a heated exchange at halftime on Monday night.

One player described the incident as an "outburst," apparently motivated by the fact that Moss only had one pass thrown to him in the first half. O'Brien calls the offensive plays, and Moss didn't have any passes thrown to him in the second half.

Reiss's report meshes with Mike Florio's report that Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was getting pissed off at Moss. The coaches in New England appear to have decided that Moss was more trouble than he was worth. Only time can tell whether Brad Childress eventually reaches a similar conclusion.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Trades are intended to help both sides. If the Pats offer us something that helps us, then I have no problem helping them, especially since I don't believe VJ will have any impact on any team he goes to. He hasn't played football since January (10 months) and will take time to learn the system and get his timing down with Brady. So I would rather take a 2nd from them, then get nothing when he walks

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Folks need to brush up on the Pats offense. "Randy Moss" as the deep threat is a luxury, not an essential. Or have we so quickly dismissed that an identical scheme with a lesser QB (I don't think anyone would debate Brady being a superior quality QB to Orton) in Denver is producing consistent 100 ypg performances out of Brandon Freakin' Lloyd.

Am I relieved that if we play the Pats down the line that we don't have to sweat Randy Moss (and his playoff experience... over that of say Brandon Tate or Taylor Price who have none)? Of course. But this doesn't set the Pats offense back nearly as much as some people think it will. Brady still has elite deep-ball accuracy, so if a receiver can get out of the blocks without getting bumped in coverage, and can show a remotely open window, Brady can fit it in there. That's how Moss got that TD against Revis in the Jets game... was it an impressive one-handed grab, sure... but it was also absolutely perfect ball-placement by the QB, it's not as though Moss was high-pointing the ball in the air.

The biggest loser in this, ultimately, is Vincent Jackson. The one team that actually managed to make headway towards trading for him just landed themselves another one-year rental and most certainly are no longer interested in him this year.

And the Pats likely won't make a move for VJ, again because he'd be a luxury in their offense, not a necessity. And you don't pay $10 million per year for a luxury, which is exactly the message they gave by trading Moss away.

27. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    If RM is only worth a 3rd, why was AJ demanding more than a #2 for Vj? Aj thinks Vj is better than Randy Moss, but only worth 3.2 million?????

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    After his week 1 presser EVERYONE should have known this was coming.

Belichek doesn't **** around with whiny little bitches like Randy.

29. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80

30. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Good to be back, had to break the news here since you guys could get some good laughs out of the situation.

It's been a great sports radio day here. I kept it streaming on my laptop all day long. The Pats spin machine is in full effect, all their sports columnist rumpswabs are preaching their party line for them. I'm loving every minute of it. The control they exert over the press, both local and national, should become a case study for college communication classes.

I had the Pats going 10-6 in my office pool since before training camp. I bought in at 7-9 for my second pick in the same pool after Monday Night Football because they offered me 2:1 odds(the nit wits had visions of a 14-2 season). Suddenly they are a bit gun shy over their choice to approach me, but, it's too late for that. I'd guess they'll go 8-8 now, but I may luck out with 7-9 and help pay some of my Xmas bills due to their lack of reason.