1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pats vs. Chargers vs. Ravens

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Dec 3, 2007.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Ok, here's my attempt to break down why Baltimore did better against the Patriots than the Chargers did, and why the Chargers did better against Baltimore than the Patriots did.

Chargers & Ravens vs. Patriots

They were able to keep from getting behind early. Because of this, it enabled the Ravens to stick with the run, and they largely exposed how weak the Patriots are against a power running attack. The Chargers, on the other hand, were quickly 24 points in the hole. This meant we had to abandon the run and try to throw the ball in order to make up the deficit. Rivers was horribly off his game, as he has been for large parts of this season, and was unable to get the job done. At the same time, the offensive line got manhandled by the Patriot defense, and couldn't get any part of the running game going.

Baltimore, on the other hand, kept the score close, so they could afford to keep running the ball. Their offensive line played like they had something to prove, and constantly owned the Patriot defensive line. This got the running game going, and they time and again gashed the Patriots with it. We are constantly reminded that the Patriots defense is vulnerable to the run and over the middle. The Ravens had them defeated, but due to poor decision-making by their quarterback, failed to move the ball effectively again after the 3rd quarter.

Chargers & Patriots vs. Ravens

The Chargers clearly played the Ravens better than the Patriots did. Brady and his receiver corps were constantly baffled by a defense that Phillip Rivers picked apart for over 300 yards and 3 TDs. I'm not really sure why this is. It seems like the Chargers pass-protected better than the Patriots did--Brady was sacked at least 3 times, while Rivers wasn't brought down once. Additionally, the Ravens feared the San Diego running offense a lot more than the Patriots, so when the Ravens played to stop the run in San Diego, Rivers made them pay. In contrast, the Ravens did not respect the Patriot run attack nearly as much, and therefore played to pressure Brady and stop the pass, which they did much more effectively against New England than against San Diego.

On defense, the Chargers were able to stop Willis McGahee and the Raven running attack. This meant that Baltimore needed Kyle Boller to win the game for them, and he was able to. Additionally, the Chargers front 7 did a much better job at producing pressure than the Patriot front 7 did--the Chargers came away with four sacks, and the Patriots didn't get a single one. Unlike the Chargers, however, the Patriots couldn't stop the run for the vast majority of the game, which took a lot of pressure off of Boller. When he was called on to pass, it was often off of play action, and because the Patriots were forced to sell out to stop the run, Boller was able to make some great plays.

So in all, the Chargers are better at generating QB pressure than the Patriots, and are better at stopping the run. Additionally, the Chargers have a much better running attack than the Patriots, and if they are able to get it going, Tomlinson should be able to match McGahee's performance. Also, despite his slump, Rivers is a better QB than Boller, and has a greater playmaking potential. If Rivers is performing well, he and our receiver corps can outplay the New England secondary.

That's my analysis anyways. I could be wrong on some, many, or all of my points. I'd love to hear feedback.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    So how could be lose? Coaches.

3. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Some, but not all, is coaching. Coaching did fail to bring pressure on Brady.

Coaching did NOT cause Rivers to throw an interception on the Chargers' very first play from scrimmage. Coaching did not cause the offensive line to allow sack after sack.

And like it or not, NE is just a really good team. They are very disciplined and execute extremely well. Teams have to approach their level of execution to beat them, and it's a difficult thing to do. As people pointed out in another forum, you need emotion and intensity. The Chargers didn't have it last time they played the Pats and New England did. Hopefully they will next time around.

4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I'm itching for our boys to play New England again. My anger is quickly being replaced with confidence, and I think our team is the same way.

5. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    I'll have to rep you tomorrow, Maestro. That was a good read especially for someone like me who couldn't watch the game.

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Nice analysis Maestro. :tup:

A couple of things: Having McAlister back really helped the Ravens defense, he is one of the most physical corners in the league, and we lucked out that he missed our game.

Also, the Pats' aging LB's got exposed a little bit now that Roosevelt Colvin is lost for the season. Junior, Bruschi, Vrabel, those guys were noticeably tired in the second half. Junior especially is not an every-down player, hasn't been since before he left our team.

Finally: I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think our defense would have a much better chance at containing the Patriots if we still had Donnie Edwards. He has a knack for making big plays, does a great job on pass patterns in the middle zones, and he was our best defensive player when we faced the Pats last year.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I am now officially rooting for the Pats to go undefeated in the regular season. I want to see the Chargers against the 17-0 Patriots in the AFC Championship game. And this isn't some token, "yeah I'm kinda hoping NE wins tonight," I am telling you, straight the F up, I want this team to go undefeated (in the regular season) bad, and I want a piece of them in January. :bolt:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Great post! Give us more!

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    These are my secret dreams, too. Getting the revenge at Gilette's :bolt:

10. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Good....good....:icon_twisted:

11. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Dude, your love for Donnie is bordering on homosexuality. Get over it.

I think that the Pats are in trouble. Losing Colvin is going to come back to bite them. Junior can't handle an increased role, and it's a matter of time before he finds himself injured, like he has the last 10 straight years or so.

If the team keeps gelling and moving forward, we should hit January playing our best football and have a ton of momentum. As long as we can avoid the key injury, I really believe that we will beat those guys if we get another shot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Sorry EC. I will tone done the props for Donnie, now that I know it bothers you.

:lol:

It will be tough to beat the Pats in Foxboro, but we have a chance if Jammer can be physical with Moss, and Cottrell brings pressure from all angles. My number one concern would be Philip Rivers; he will have to avoid stupid throws and maintain poise in the pocket.

13. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Thanks. :yes:

I agree that PR is the #1 concern. I would be brimming with confidence if we had any semblance of consistency at the QB position. It sucks not knowing what we are going to get week to week.

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    All year I've been hearing on the radio about how no team in the NFL can match up against the Pats. Bullchit... even when we're playing crappy and in Norv-hater mode, we still have as much, if not more, talent on the field as any other team in football. I'm not going to say they've been "exposed," but in the last two weeks we've all seen that the Pats are not invincible. IMHO we have more talent on our defense than either Philly or Baltimore, and there's no question we have a much stronger offense. We are probably the last team anybody is going to want to face in the playoffs. WE CAN DO THIS! :bolt: :tup:

15. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Actually it's not week to week. It's play to play. Every time Philip drops back and holds the ball longer than two seconds, I start to cringe.

We need to play more of a Martyball style in the postseason, take care of the football and put the game in LT's hands, instead of Philip's. Not playing that way last year cost us the game.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is something I have been commenting on. Norv seems to call plays that take 5-7 seconds to develope, even though the D is mostly at the LOS.

He needs to call some of the one step pass plays Cam called last season to beat stacked LOS's IMO.

17. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I'd love to see more 5-7 yard pass plays on 1st and 2nd...and even a screen or two from time to time. We have a really hard time staying on the field, either going 3 and out or scoring in like 6 plays. If we could setup some short 3rd down from time and then follow through with them, we'd be unstoppable.

18. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Yeah, even a short 3-yard sideline curl can work like a run, and it gets the WR's involved. And if the corner whiffs on the tackle it can be a nice gain.