1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Hornung's a Bitter Little Crybaby

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Dec 18, 2006.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    From the UT:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061218-9999-1s18hornung.html

“You can't compare what a player has done in 12 games to what players have done in 16,” argued Hornung from Louisville, where he resides. “If someone finishes with a greater average than mine, I'll say, 'Fine, he broke my record.' ”

Hornung's points average in 1960: 14.66. Tomlinson's current average in 14 games: 13.28.

Hornung said when Roger Maris in 1961 hit 61 home runs, eclipsing the record of 60 that Babe Ruth had hit in 1927, an asterisk was attached to Maris' achievement. Ruth set his record in a 154-game season, Maris in a 162-game season.

Considering that 41 of Hornung's 176 points came on PATs, I think Hornung needs to shut his trap.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    That he is. He is pouting because his record has been broken, but he should be thanking LT because no one ever thinks of it until people are about to break it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    That is a shame, and I agree that he should be glad that this has brough attention to his achievement.

Also, the asterisk thing did not work too well for baseball, why does he think it would work any better for the NFL.

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Sad little man has nothing in his life but his "record". LT took it and now he has nothing. The classy thing would be congratulate LT and ride off into the sunset, but Hornung is a no class little biitch.

5. **2~FOR~1**

**2~FOR~1** BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    How true that is...amen homie! :icon_toast:

6. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313
    It is a shame when someone has to bring a negative in what is one of the Greatest(if not the greatest) seasons by a running back in NFL history.

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Word..................:lol:

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Exactly. Who ever discounted Roger Maris' achievement because of a few extra games? No one I've heard of.

If you take away even a third of Hornung's PATs, Tomlinson would be averaging more points scored per game than Hornung.

Instead of celebrating the fact his record was broken by the best football player on the planet, by a humble and universally revered person, Hornung has chosen to spout off like just another bitter ex-jock whose ego can't handle being bested.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Anyone got the Youtube vidoe of Hornung's pats falling down while he is giving a speach?

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Is Paul Hornung related to leisure :icon_huh: :icon_shrug: :lol:

11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Here is a youtube clip of them showing it on PTI.

Here's another embarrasing quote from Paul Hornung:

The former Green Bay Packers star said his alma mater, Notre Dame, needed to lower its academic standards to "get the black athlete." "We can't stay as strict as we are as far as the academic structure is concerned because we've got to get the black athlete," Hornung said. "We must get the black athlete if we're going to compete." This happened during a radio interview in Detroit on WXVT-AM before the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame banquet.

12. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Oh come on, this is pathetic. Get over it Hornung

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    :icon_eek: :blink:

Dood's agent should have taught him to avoid microphones. It all begs the question, is it better to be forgotten outright or remembered as a cry baby?

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,057
    Paul Hornung can kiss my Charger rear end! He is old and senile, he is pissed that he is going to his grave knowing he is #2!

15. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    It pains me to hear Hornung say this because he's a former Notre Dame Heisman Trophy winner back when they [the Heisman voters] actually cared who the best college player in the nation was regardless of team's record. (Side Note: Hornung won it when Notre Dame was just 3-6 on the year).

However, yeah, Hornung needs to realize that if LT were allowed to kick PATs, I think he would do very well, and have at least another 50 or so points.

Thus, he would have broken Hornung's record, oh say, in 9 or 10 games?

I chalk this up to Hornung never meeting LT in person, otherwise he'd see how great of a human being LT is.

Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, and other HOF-caliber running backs have no problem with LT's assault on the record books. They all see how great of a person LT is and are cheering for him to grab every NFL record he can.

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Hornung's just pissed that we now have a straight-up scoring record, right and proper, that was taken by an actual offensive player and not a glorified kicker.

What's more impressive? 31 touchdowns? Or a conglomeration of a few touchdowns, a few field goals, and a bunch of point-afters?

17. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Someone on the UT forum came up with this great post:

So, LT scores two more TD and that blows Hornung's whiny argument out of the water.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    When axt about LT's assault on the record books, Jim Brown said he could have 'em all, cuz LT was such a class act. Too bad Paul Hornung can't be as gracious.

But I'm not gonna bad-mouth Paul HHornung, the football player. He was from another era, mebbe the last of what was called the "Triple Threat Player"-one that could run the ball, pass it, and kick it, and he was very good at all three!! A great player who drove Coach Lombardi nuts with his loose lifestyle.

His on-field accomplishments have stood the test of time, 'til now. His off the field accumen is admired greatly by some-not for nuthin was he nicknamed "Goloden Boy".

That said, "Paul, WTF were you thinkin??"

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,057
    You are correct, the player Paul Hornung was great, and it took that long for someone to break his record.

Records are made for someone else to break it.

This record will be broke.

Maybe in my great great grandkids era, but it will be broke.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,886
    maybe so
    but until then Hornung needs to know his role and shut his mouth
    this is the first time many people are actually learning who the heck he is and this is how most of us are seeing him as; a little beyatch

21. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +853
    Hornug is completely unclassy for not giving LT props. He should be proud of how long his record stood, and by whom it was broken by.

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Well, in recent years he's made racist comments about Notre Dame lowering entrance requirements so they could recruit "the black athlete." Not exactly all-class.

23. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Exactly what I was thinking. He is a throwback "good-ole-boy". Glad this is the last we will have to hear from him.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    :
    He was never "the golden boy" because of the kind of person he was. He was a partier that drove Lombardi nuts with his lifestyle. He was the Golden Boy because he was a good-looking, charismatic all-american from Notre Dame.

Oh well, I guess Hornung is just one more reason for me to hate Notre Dame. Like I really needed another one. :icon_rofl:

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    That guy has issues. Crying like a little biatch about his record being broken? STFU.

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Word.

27. Katrina

Katrina BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Maybe he wants to hold the record for being the biggest crybaby?

28. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    :icon_rofl:

29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I don't need Paul Hornungta hate the Domers...jes knowin they're Shammie's team is enuff for me!! :icon_eek: :yes: :lol: :icon_rofl:

30. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    That would be best if this guy has any self dignity