1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Oliver to come in for workout

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltjolt, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Love this kids play and would like to see him in Bolts

Pro Day Workout: Paul Oliver Premium Story
    Paul Oliver (AP Photo/Todd Bennett)

By Tony Pauline

Posted Jun 20, 2007

For the second time in three days a prospect in next month's supplemental draft worked out for NFL decision makers. Georgia cornerback Paul Oliver hoped today's performance would jumpstart his NFL career. Here are some quick notes from the workout.

Twenty-seven teams were on hand at the workout as both league scouts and directors of college scouting lined the field.

Sources at the workout told us Oliver clocked between 4.50-to-4.58 seconds in the forty, depending on whose stopwatch you read. His vertical jump was 33.5 inches.

Oliver did stand out in the position drills, showing excellent defensive back techniques and superb hands, for which he was complimented.

Several teams including the Atlanta Falcons and San Diego Chargers will be bringing Oliver in over the next week for one-on-one interviews as well as physicals.

When we specifically asked if the New England Patriots had shown any great amount of interest in Oliver, the answer was an emphatic "no."

Tomorrow afternoon we will update the teams Oliver is set to visit and get more reaction from his workout.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    depends on what the draft price is; anything not day 1 would be great

3. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

That would be a steal and i doubt he goes after day one. He would be a top 15 pick if he were in the draft next year.

Anything after a first and im good

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    If Oliver was indeed gotten by the Bolts, which DB would the team say "sayonara" to?

5. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    How can you say that with such a lousy 40 time for a CB? Don't believe the hype. My guess is that AJ doesn't go anywhere near him.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    That isn't that good of a 40 time for a cb. 4.50 tops. Considering the new d-back were gonna need after florence leaves needs to probably have some speed might be a consideration.

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Eric Weddle ran slightly faster than he did at the combine and has a nearly equal vertical.

:icon_eek:

So, unless Oliver can improve his speed, he's more appropriate at a safety spot at the NFL level, since I doubt the Bolts will be calling on Weddle to be a CB anytime soon.

8. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    This is the cornerback that shut down Calvin Johnson. :icon_eek:

Calvin & Oliver went head to head twice.

Calvin's 2 game TOTAL stats against Oliver, 4 catches 27 yards, 1 TD.

Again, that's his total in BOTH games against Oliver.

And he was 1-on-1 with Oliver for the majority of both games.

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, seeing has how CJ had an awful QB throwing to him, and not someone that could actually consistently throw on target, it doesn't sound as good as it should.

In addition, what did Paul Oliver do the rest of his college career, or are we to measure him based solely on those two games?

Did he shut down many other teams' #1 receivers? Or was it just CJ those two times?

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Gordon or Gregory

11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    In the long run, Florence

12. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    He was hand timed and if he did run a 4.5 lets keep in mind that he only had three weeks to train where these guys at the combine had much longer and went to a camp JUST to train for the combine.

Say what you will but this kid can play and if you havent seen him, then you dont know really how good he is.
    AJ IS bringing him in for a workout and we need a CB and when we lose Florence we will have a guy who is with us for a year and we will get him on a steal ....even if we use our 2nd rounder on him.

Who will we say sayonara to if we get him? Gregory or Gordon is my guess.....imo Gordon being the likely one gone. And when we lose Florence we will still need another CB but at least we got a good one to still have three solid CB's.

Let not forget that Jammer only ran a 4.5. Oliver has good ball skills and is a good defender and has good size.

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I'd be willing to give him a shot. I haven't watched many Georgia games the past few years, so I can't be sure about his ability either way. But it will take more than two games performance out of 3 college years to impress me.

The fact that AJ is bringing him in does speak a lot in itself. But this is tempered by the fact that the main reason he's entering the supplemental is that he flunked out of college and this is really his only opportunity now since he can't play another year of college ball. Not a very good omen. I just hope he doesn't wind up being another Pac-Man and make a bunch of silly and stupid mistakes in his life once in the NFL.

14. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I would love to get him in the 4th but I don't think he falls that far, so we'd probably have to give up a 2nd, but AJ would really have to like him to give up a 2nd.

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    With a 4.5+ 40 time? Not a chance.

4th round ..... at best.

16. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I wonder what he did against LSU.....did Buster or Bowe burn him?:icon_shrug:

17. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    from this mornings GBN:

According to a report by Len Pasquarelli over at ESPN Georgia CB Paul Oliver did not have a very impressive outing when he worked out in front of over two dozen NFL scouts and personnel people prior to next month’s supplemental draft.

Oliver, who been listed at over 6 feet and almost 210 pounds by the school, actually measured in at just 5-10.5 and 195 pounds. :icon_eek:

Worse for Oliver, he only ran in the mid-to-high 4.5 range for the 40, with at least one team reportedly timing in over 4.6 seconds. Oliver also didn’t score all that well in some of the other tests posting just a 33-inch vertical leap and a 3-cond drill time of over 7.3 seconds. :no:

For the record, that time in the 3-cone drill would have been the second worst among CBs at this year’s scouting combine, while the vertical leap would also have been in the lower third of combine participants at the position. :icon_huh:

Prior to the workout, Oliver had been graded in the second round area but that is likely to drop. Oliver had considered entering the regular 2007 draft as an underclassmen but ultimately opted to return to school, however, he was later declared academically ineligible for the upcoming season and applied for entry in the supplemental draft. :tdown:

Any team that selects a player in the supplemental draft will forfeit its corresponding choice in the 2008 draft.

short, slow and not very bright - now why are the Bolts reportedly bringing him in for a workout/physical????

18. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Why not, Antrell rolle a few years ago was a 4.5 guy and went top 10, also, wasnt jammer a 4.5 guy?

19. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    4.5 is a nice round number, but his times were closer to 4.6. His 3 cone was absolutely horrible.

All eyes on Oliver - OnlineAthens.com (subscription)

Not exactly a quality endorsement when the player describes his effort as "average" and "nothing special."

4th round. At best.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If he visits here, the Chargers will probably get a look at him against some of our guys and Rivers. The 4.50 times don't seem to jive with a guy who would be a top 15 pick or who could man up with CJ. If he shows well against our receivers, then a 3 or lower pick would be acceptable, unless he really shows something. Don't know what next year's crop looks like, but getting a possible replacement for Florence in camp this year would be a real good move and would make us even deeper. We get a comp pick next year for the Burner, so we actually lose nuttin', honey. Getting him would give us a lot more latitude next year. hmmmm. Gets better the more I think about it. He just has to go faster than he's shown.

:unsure:

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    We probably will need another good cb by next year with florence probably leaving. Alot depends on just how good Oliver is. HIs workout in georgia sounded pretty bad. So thats not gonna help him. I'm guessing the private workout for the chargers will be the make or break for Oliver as the chargers are concerned.

22. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    c-mon shammy you know he isnt going to run a 4.5+ 40 if he is in playing shape. He hasnt played since december. All those other players at the combine had been working out for months prior to.

I hope a lot of teams DO care about his 40 time and we get him with our 4th ...but i doubt it. Even Ahmad Brooks was a 3rd last year i believe and he was a wreck before he worked out.

23. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    4.56 was his best time per the U. GA beat reporter for the Athens, GA newspaper.

U. GA has a fast track, and scouts discount times there by nearly a 10th of a second vs comparison to the Combine times.

Three weeks is plenty of time to get in shape for running a good 40. It's not like he's an out of shape 40 year old. I'm not buying the excuses on why he didn't do decent at his workout. His 3 cone time would have been the 2nd worst for any CB at the Combine. No scores posted for the short shuttle or broad jump.

..... and he's not the brighest bulb in the chandelier. Flunked out of school.

24. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Your forgetting that the players at the combine trained for MONTHS before actually competing.....if 3 weeks is plenty of time then why do they do it for at least 2 months? Training on how to get faster that whole time?

Im not trying to make excuses but im sure he could get down to at least a 4.5 if he is in playing shape.

All i know is when i saw him play, he was a instinctive player and seemed to always be in on a play that was broken up.
    And....didnt Jamal have academic problems?

All im saying is we dont know everything that pertains to what kind of shape he is in. Im just not inclined to go by what some writer has to say. Yesterday the times were between 4.5 and 4.58.....now a different writer says its 4.56 and 4.59.

Not sure we will get any times from teams that he works out for but we will hear if he ran well which means he was quick.

I doubt we go after him but if we got him, id be happy.

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't think the times have changed. Pastabelli yesterday said, "he only ran in the mid-to-high 4.5 range for the 40." Maybe one writer (the "snippet" sites, like KFFL and Rotoworld) saw Pastabelli's piece and simply wrote "4.5" without the qualifier of "mid to high." Again, the U.GA track is known as a fast track, and his time was pedestrian.

Besides, it was the U.GA beat writer who gave the 4.56 to 4.59. He's the writer most familiar with the team, and his writings would carry more weight tha some national guy who is probably sending a stringer down to get the details.

The bowls end in January, and the NFL Combine is in February. That's not "months" and I doubt many of the kids train for more than 4-5 weeks. I think 3 solid weeks for a young elite athlete is more than enough time to kick off some rust and get in proper shape to run a quality 40.

I don't remember why Jamal came out in the Supplemental draft, and I've tried Googling it without luck. If anyone has a link on info related to that, then I'd love to see it.

I'm just not sold that Oliver is worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. If SD still had their 3rd, then maybe, but since they don't, I can't see going into next draft with only one first day selection. A compensatory 3rd for Edwards is not a given, and if I had to make a guess, I'd bet SD gets a 4th for Donnie signing with KC.

26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

Pro Day Workout: Paul Oliver Premium Story
    Paul Oliver (AP Photo/Todd Bennett)

By Tony Pauline

Posted Jun 20, 2007

For the second time in three days a prospect in next month's supplemental draft worked out for NFL decision makers. Georgia cornerback Paul Oliver hoped today's performance would jumpstart his NFL career. Here are some quick notes from the workout.

Twenty-seven teams were on hand at the workout as both league scouts and directors of college scouting lined the field.

Sources at the workout told us Oliver clocked between 4.50-to-4.58 seconds in the forty, depending on whose stopwatch you read. His vertical jump was 33.5 inches.

Oliver did stand out in the position drills, showing excellent defensive back techniques and superb hands, for which he was complimented.

Several teams including the Atlanta Falcons and San Diego Chargers will be bringing Oliver in over the next week for one-on-one interviews as well as physicals.

When we specifically asked if the New England Patriots had shown any great amount of interest in Oliver, the answer was an emphatic "no."

Tomorrow afternoon we will update the teams Oliver is set to visit and get more reaction from his workout.

27. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'll go with the beat reporter over some website dude who wasn't even there.

28. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    My question is. Considering Oliver was rated so high by the draftnik folks what does that say about the other cb's available next year. Olivers workout was to put it bluntly was average to under average.

If Oliver doesn't show that he's a top notch cb at the chargers private practice I'm having to guess the chargers will pass.

The one blessing in next years draft is possibly some good junior cb's will go pro. So possibly there will be a cb the chargers can get to fill florences absence. Otherwise the chargers will go in another direction like hoping one of the 2nd tier cb's can fill the third cb spot. Or know of a sleeper in next years draft.

29. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I would tend to agree, but we dont know who or where his sources came from. I dont know if he is just a website dude.