1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peavy eyeing a change for the better

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Feb 27, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Padres ace pondering revival of offspeed pitch

PEORIA -- Jake Peavy's not broke. After taking home the Cy Young hardware and the pitcher's triple crown in 2007, he doesn't need fixing. He found his rhythm early and never missed a beat with a dominating fastball-slider two-step, so it's a hard sell to suggest that he's in need of a change.

"You dance with who brung you, and that's the fastball and slider," said his manager, Bud Black, on Tuesday.

But as has been the case throughout his career, there is another pitch in the wings waiting for the opportunity to cut in on the fastball-slider package and add a new dimension. The changeup that helped Peavy when he first broke into the big leagues remains a plus pitch in his repertoire, and as Peavy explained after Tuesday's workout, he's not averse to bringing it back.

"Early in my career, I used it a lot," Peavy said. "It really got me established in the big leagues. My slider wasn't as consistent as it's gotten today. I've started throwing more of a cutter these days, too, two different sliders. A lot of times, that's really what is most effective, and it's just been hard to go away from what has worked, is what it comes down to."

Still, with a reputation for throwing hard and being all but unhittable, posting a 2.54 ERA and notching 240 strikeouts on his way to a 19-4 record in '07, it's mind-boggling to think of what could happen if Peavy resuscitates an offspeed pitch capable of throwing hitters off balance and confounding expectations.

Click link for the rest of the article