1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peavy: My hands are clean

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Apr 7, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Fugging Dodgers

Figures they would be the whiners

Less than 24 hours after dominating the Dodgers on Saturday, Padres ace Jake Peavy was forced to defend himself against, well, exactly what no one could say.

But Peavy wanted to make one thing clear: "I'm not out there cheating. That's the bottom line."

No one said he was, but still photos of Peavy extending his right hand after Saturday's complete-game victory against the Dodgers at Petco Park were posted on the Internet yesterday, and they showed some sort of discoloration on Peavy's middle and index fingers, and perhaps his thumb.

Manager Bud Black said the substance was dirt, noting, "When you play baseball, your hands get dirty."

Asked his reaction, Peavy said: "I laughed, to be honest with you. Anybody that wants to check me, feel free. There's nothing on my hands that's not supposed to be. I thought it was funny that it was such a big deal. I've got no problems with anytime anybody needs to check me.

"I can't imagine my hands being that dirty. That being said, you're hand doesn't look clean when you're out there. Obviously I pick up rosin, pick up dirt, I do hit.

"There's no way you could have a foreign substance on your hand that's black. I don't know what you could put on your hand. My whole hand was covered, the picture I saw. Wouldn't that come off on a ball? How could you throw a ball with pine tar on your hand?"

Dodgers manager Joe Torre was hesitant to discuss the issue with reporters yesterday, saying he didn't "want to make excuses for not winning. I didn't suspect anything (Saturday). It was the first time I've seen him pitch."

Interestingly, Peavy's next start will be Friday at Dodger Stadium, and Torre did say, "We'll be the home team on Friday, so the balls that get thrown out of the game will come over to our dugout."

Peavy said the Dodgers "are more than welcome" to look at any balls he throws, adding, "I hope that they're worried about my hand more than they're worried about (my pitches). I honestly hope that's a cause of concern. Anytime Joe wants to have anybody check me, I welcome that."

It wasn't easy, but Heath Bell pitched another scoreless inning, extending his streak to 16 1/3 innings over 13 games dating to September. The Dodgers had a runner at third base and one out in the eighth, but Andruw Jones struck out and Andre Ethier flied out. Jones had been 3-for-4 against Bell with a homer and a triple, but as Bell said, "He's not in an Atlanta uniform anymore." During those 13 games Bell has allowed a .058 average (3-for-51).

The Padres will continue wearing camouflage uniforms for every Sunday home game this season. They were 2-1 in the "camos" last year but fell to 0-2 with yesterday's loss.

Cesar Ramos, considered one of the Padres' top pitching prospects, did not fare well in his Triple-A debut yesterday at Portland, allowing three hits, four walks and four runs in 2 2/3 innings of a 9-1 loss to Fresno.
  2. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2007
    If Peavy is mature enough, this is the perfect “Phyc - out” to give him an additional edge. Hopefully Maddox is helping him use this situation to his advantage. It is time to manipulate the situation, give them reasons to doubt you. Having to go two games in a row against the Dodgers is to Peavy’s disadvantage; this controversy could work in his favor, or shoot him in the foot. I hope he is getting good mentoring this week.
  3. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    If i didn't love the Padres so much i would have said Fu** baseball 6 years ago. Why would Peavy cheat? Just because he's dominant? You can't be good at this sport anymore or else people think you're cheating somehow. Whatever....GO PADS!!!!