1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Penalties

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Savage Lizard, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Spotted this...

An illegal contact penalty for 5 yards was the only accepted penalty against the Chargers on Sunday, leaving them as the least-penalized team in the NFL at 454 yards.

Their 61 accepted penalties are tied for fifth-fewest in the NFL and has them on pace for their fewest ever (81) in a 16-game season.

The 1993 squad was penalized 87 times.

So does Norv get any credit for the team being disciplined? I seem to remember some posters latching onto anything to bash Norv about, does he get any love now from those same people?

• Like Like x 2
  2. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Good point Savage.

It might mean NORV is running a tight ship.

But then again, it's tricky with penalties because do they count the ones that the other team DECLINES, or penalties that off-set? If they did, it's unfortunate, but our team would be up there in the penalty category.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    There is a LOT of continuity on this roster, and continuity tends to breed accountability.

But the coach can also be given his due credit, as far too often is his calm demeanor seen as incompetence as opposed to disciplined in its own way.

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

I guess Norv is a good coach...

5. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    And just in case people forgot, 3 big reasons why the Chargers lost that games vs. the Pats in the 14-2 season are ones that showed signs of an undisciplied team: ill-opportune penalties by Olshansky, Olivea, and Florence. Without those, I think we could have slammed that game shut.

Oh, and McCree's inability to hang onto an interception. :no:

6. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I remember people citing our penalties as how bad a coach Norv was. Now these same people forget that penalties matter. Amazing.

Fact is good coached teams don't get a lot of penalties. If your team gets a lot then coaching needs to be looked at. Having a low number of penalties is a good sign.

It also means that the Refs are calling a good game and not a game like the Ravens-GB game.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    everyone knows the players have taken to ignoring Norv and are playing well in spite of him

:icon_tease:

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

More important is/was our receiving team. Remember that McCardell was out and Floyd was on IR. So that left us Osgood, Camarillo, Jackson (in his rookie season), and Parker.

Rivers interception late in the third quarter changed the tide.
    Then Parker's fumbled punt return.

There's many things to blame for that loss but I still think it ALL comes down to us still being a young and inexperienced team going against a team that's been there and won it many times.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Penalties is our friends. :yes:

10. TCHDNSD

TCHDNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28

I had a dream
    Though it made me sick,
    saw you in your bedroom suckin' someone
    else's d*ck.
    (mygoodness)
    (Sublime)

That's how I feel when I think about that game so thanks.

11. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    What about Belichik spying on us? In a close game like that don't you think that means anything?

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Love this stat. Great post and great point.

Now if we could just figure out how stop wasting timeouts. That is one discipline we have not mastered yet and it will burn us in the playoffs.

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Or just knock the ball down (it was freakin' 4th down). Or take a knee immediately. I still hope McCree rots in hell for that play and how he responded afterward. :icon_evil:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That's what you're suppose to do. McCree just wanted ESPN highlights.

15. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Remember last week's Miami win over the Pats?

Brady threw an INT at the end and guess what Crowder did after he picked it? Fell down into a fetal position and protected the ball. He didn't try to run and gain extra yards.