1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Penis (Mike Shanahan) Alert: Donovan McNabb will become a third-string quarterback

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Dec 17, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Go ahead and modify the title if needed.

What is the deal with the Redskins? Has Mike Shanahan lost his mind or does this team suck the brain out of everyone that walks in its facility?

Donovan McNabb will become a third-string quarterback

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 17, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
    Just when you think the Redskins quarterback situation couldn’t get any more ridiculous, coach Mike Shanahan has found a new way to “disrespect” Donovan McNabb.

John Beck will pass McNabb on the depth chart on the depth chart next week, in addition to Rex Grossman. McNabb will be the backup Sunday, then slide into a No. 3 role.

“I want to see John Beck,” Shanahan said. “John Beck has been exceptional in practice. I want to see him in No. 2 role.”

Shanahan says the decision to bench McNabb is all about getting knocked out of playoff contention. (Then why decide on Thursday?) They want to evaluate the young quarterbacks on their roster. Shanahan couldn’t “guarantee” McNabb would be back next season, although this move almost guarantees he won’t.

The Redskins’ website official blog makes the case that going to Grossman is not that big a deal. That’s laughable.

The same organization said that the McNabb benching against the Lions wasn’t a big deal. They trumpeted McNabb’s contract extension as proof. It’s a big deal because it indicates the Redskins have no idea what their plan is or how to deal with players.

This isn’t about whether going to Grossman is the right decision. It’s a window into larger dysfunction.

From Jay Glazer of FOX, here was the Redskins’ week: “[Glazer] reported Saturday that [offensive coordinator] Kyle [Shanahan] said he wanted Rex in. Sunday, Don was efficient. Monday, Kyle wanted to start Rex. Tuesday, Wednesday changed their minds, Thurs changed back. Friday told team.”

It’s a big deal because McNabb, not Grossman, took the majority of first team snaps this week, according to tight end Chris Cooley. It’s a big deal because the Redskins gave up a second round pick and paid McNabb more than $17 million this season even though Grossman was Kyle Shanahan’s “guy.”

The team is admitting their evaluation about McNabb was wrong, just like their decision to pay Albert Haynesworth his roster bonus this season. Or their decision not to trade Haynesworth.

It’s a big deal because the Redskins’ players aren’t happy and it’s a big deal because Shanahan has seen enough of McNabb.

“The next three weeks won’t change my mind,” Shanahan said.

Donovan McNabb will become a third-string quarterback | ProFootballTalk

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    McNabb’s agent tees off on benching

Posted by Mike Florio on December 17, 2010, 12:17 PM EST

Though the tea leaves have been in place since Sunday, when FOX’s Jay Glazer first reported that Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb could be benched for Rex Grossman, coach Mike Shanahan’s decision to flip the switch from franchise quarterback to a guy with the accuracy of a sawed-off shotgun who has been bouncing around the league since losing his job in Chicago is a stunner.

Count among the stunned McNabb’s agent, Fletcher Smith.

“Disrespectful is probably not strong enough of a word,” Smith told Jason Reid of the Washington Post. “Donovan has handled himself with nothing but class, not just in Washington but as an ambassador for the league. To treat him this way . . . it’s beyond disrespectful.”

Smith says the pattern of disrespect began when McNabb was benched for Grossman late in a Halloween loss to the Lions.

t really started with Detroit and it was just wrong the way Donovan was treated,” Smith said. “Just the way Mike handled the whole situation in Detroit, and in almost every instance since that time, and this is, I guess, the culmination of that. I think it’s . . . again, it’s beyond disrespectful.”

If, as Smith believes, this all started on October 31, why did he let McNabb sign a contract extension 15 days later? Smith’s decision to recommend that McNabb ink a deal that, in essence, pays McNabb $3.5 million in exchange for the Redskins’ ability to decide whether to keep him or trade him until September 2011 suggests to us that Smith was led to believe that the Redskins wouldn’t move on from McNabb after one season.

Smith’s anger suggests that he now knows he was duped. (Don’t feel bad, Fletcher. Shanahan lies to everybody.)

With Grossman now at the wheel, the message is that McNabb is available to whoever may want him. Though the benching necessarily reduces Donovan’s trade value, Shanahan and his son, Kyle, apparently have decided that the time has come to find out whether Grossman could be the starter next year.
    McNabb’s agent tees off on benching | ProFootballTalk

3. Vespy

Vespy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    That franchise is a total joke to the league they have been for a decade it makes me feel embarrassed to live in there market sometimes i wish i live in san diego at least i could see a good /great team play every given sunday.

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    You would have thought that Mike Shanahan would bring some stability to the franchise. I have no idea what he is thinking. He has some sort of complex and has played head games with his team. Maybe Albert Haynesworth is not the one that has an issue? How do you explain the head games that he is playing with McNabb? Who in the hell would want to play for this team? Seriously the Raiders have more respectability.

5. Vespy

Vespy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    It all starts with the owner he runs that team like a fantasy team he likes to buy players before the season starts and then it doesn't pan out.

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Donovan McNabb “very disappointed,” “I strongly disagree”

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 17, 2010, 6:41 PM EST

Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb issued a terse statement through his publicist today after coach Mike Shanahan announced he had benched McNabb.

“I respect Mike’s decision as a head coach, but I strongly disagree with it,” McNabb said.

McNabb hasn’t given any in-depth interviews, but he did talk to his buddy Mike Wilbon, who said on ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption that McNabb described himself as “very disappointed.”

Wilbon, who made no pretense of objectivity as he ripped into Shanahan, said that McNabb has no ill will toward Rex Grossman, who has replaced him as the starter. In fact, Wilbon claims that one of the things McNabb is upset about is that Shanahan waited until after Thursday’s practice to make the move, depriving Grossman of the opportunity to work with the first-string offense on Wednesday and Thursday.

Whether Grossman has been properly prepared this week or not, he’s the Redskins’ quarterback now. Shanahan and McNabb are clearly unable to work together.
    Donovan McNabb “very disappointed,” “I strongly disagree” | ProFootballTalk

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    that's a situation that makes the Denver Broncos and the San Francisco 49ers look like the New England Patriots

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Are Redskins tanking to draft a quarterback?

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2010, 10:21 AM EST

The Washington Redskins’ decision this week to bench Donovan McNabb in favor of Rex Grossman has a lot of people asking, What is Mike Shanahan thinking?

Perhaps he’s thinking about drafting a quarterback in 2011 — and thinking that losing the final three games gives him a better chance of acquiring the quarterback he wants.

That was the subject of a discussion this morning on NFL Network, focusing on whether Shanahan is throwing the rest of the season so he can get a high draft pick next year.

“They’re really thinking about drafting a quarterback,” NFL Network reporter Michael Lombardi said. “The move to Rex Grossman, I’ve been told reliably by people in the Washington organization, has nothing to do with him being the quarterback of the future. It’s about them being in position next year to draft a quarterback.”

NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk also suggested that the Redskins, who are currently 5-8, would rather finish 5-11 than 8-8.

“Those five wins? That’s all they want,” Faulk said. “Five wins and 11 losses, that might put you in the Top 5. . . . If they can get in the Top 5, there’s a lot of good college quarterbacks coming out this year. . . . Is that throwing games? I don’t know. But you understand that Donovan McNabb gives you the best chance to win, and you start Rex, and John Beck is second and Donovan is third? You’re sending a crazy message.”

Warren Sapp was blunt in his assessment: “Right now they’re tanking the season looking for that Top 5 pick.”

So who would Shanahan want to draft with that Top 5 pick? Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck is widely regarded as the best prospect in the 2011 NFL draft. But he’s likely to go first overall, and it’s impossible for the Redskins to get the first overall pick, so tanking games to get Luck wouldn’t be a very smart strategy.

But there are other good quarterbacks Shanahan might covet, including Ryan Mallett of Arkansas and Cam Newton of Auburn. Would Shanahan want to lose the last three games of 2010 so he can draft one of those quarterbacks in 2011?

A team intentionally losing games to get good draft picks would be a terrible thing for the integrity of the National Football League. That the league’s own network is openly discussing the possibility of a team doing just that shows what a bizarre year it’s been in Washington.

Are Redskins tanking to draft a quarterback? | ProFootballTalk

9. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Why doesn't the Ratt just get one of his O-linemen to chop-block McNabb and be done with it?