1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peppers Wants Out in Carolina!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheBeast, Jan 16, 2009.

1. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3839736

Defensive end Julius Peppers let the Carolina Panthers know he is looking for a change of scenery.
    "The front office has been informed of my desire to explore opportunities with other NFL teams following the expiration of my contract next month," Peppers said in a statement released by his agent Carl Carey. "At this point in my NFL career, I am seeking new challenges that will allow me to grow, develop and reach my personal potential on the football field.

"I strongly feel that making a move at this time is in my best interest. I appreciate the entire Panthers organization and am thankful for the seven seasons I've spent with the team."

The Panthers have the option to franchise Peppers, which would mean paying him nearly $17 million next season.

"Julius is firm in his decision that he needs a change," Carey said. "He feels that he can thrive in another system. While he has been selected to four Pro Bowls and designated as an All-Pro during his career, he feels that he has yet to develop to his full potential. This is the case of a great player who seeks to become an elite one."

Ok, I KNOW he's a 4-3 guy, but as I've said before he has adjusted various times (schemes and positions) and I can tell by the reports on Espn, he would like to go to a contender. If we realease Igor he can be the missing link and than we could use the draft for beeth OR the LB position. He's obviously going to look for the green BUT he is worth it.

Please take time and think about this because, if we put Julius Peppers, Shawne Merriman, Shaun Phillipos and co., can you imagine the pass rush?
    Opposing quarterbacks couldn't get the ball off in time!

Again this can be our Randy Moss (except in Def.). Please Make it happen AJ. A Superbowl appearence is garunteed if this happens, mark my words! :icon_twisted:

2. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    WOW!!! That would be an awesome addition.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    its a money issue but he won't get sacks, he won't get notice and from there he won't wanna sign.
    DEs in 3-4s aren't noticed

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I know AJ isn't likely to bite but just the thought of Peppers in the mix on defense with Ron Rivera at the helm, Merriman healthy, dead weight cut... omg it makes me giddy :lol:

Should we get our hopes up? No... but it's fun to dream!

5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Castillo had what? 8.5 - 9.0 sacks last year?

Castillo is't even on Peppers level too.

Make it happen Aj, I'm pretty sure all he wants is a ring, he's already a first ballot Hall of Famer.

:yes:

6. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Money will be a problem. I think he wants a SB. Most guys his age do. I think he has noticed the resurgence of the Falcons and knows that this was probably the year.

7. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    There is no way that Peppers wants anything to do with playing end in a 3-4...end of story. He does not want to occupy blockers and hold up double teams so that others can make the play.

8. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    He played 3-4 in his first season and had 12 sacks. -.-

Are we forgetting Peppers plays exceptional ST's too.

I highly doubt he'll want a 17.5 sack season instead of a sb, same goes with money.

Get him.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    AJ blows!! :tdown:

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    If KC or Denver signs him, we are in big trouble.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Denver is said to be pursuing Haynesworth first
    KC i don't know

12. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Yep he would be just enough to beat us next season if we play them like we did this season.

13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't know if KC will but if they did it'd be like them keeping Jared Allen, so I don't see how it's a huge issue.

As far as Denver they might switch to the 3-4 with Nolan as DC.

14. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    If a Superbowl was his main goal he would probably at least be interested in what Carolina has to say.

I guarantee that he does not sign with a team, any team, to play end in a 3-4.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    We should switch to 4-3 and grab his ***.

16. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    He and Castillo would look good as bookends in a 4-3, but I think we are lacking the linebacking personnel to make the change anything close to smooth.

17. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Ok that's nice but do you think we should sign him? :icon_huh:

18. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Castillo would most likely move to DT, either Merriman or Shaun would play DE, and this would pretty much force the other to stop being a pass rusher.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :lol:

Yeah, but only after we resign our own guys.

20. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    He was much better when he was on steroids.

21. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    AJ signing him :lol:

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, I know. More likely Pioli will snag him at KC & he'll be abusing our tackles next year. :icon_sad:

23. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    New England could use him.

24. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    You think he would give up a chance at a ring AND play on the same team as Merriman by not playing in a 3-4? It's easy to see how much of an impact Merriman has on this team by his absense this year. Our defense sucked eggs without him and I would think Peppers would be giddy at the possibility of playing on the same team with Merriman. I don't understand Pepper's statement of wanting to play for a contender. The panthers are a pretty solid team and they were expected to represent the nfc in the SB but got their asses handed to them by the redbirds. ANY team that has that many turnovers in a game will not win. It just wasn't meant to be for them this year. The man said he needs a change of scenery and there is no better place than God's country, SD. No matter where he ends up, he will be reCharged (no pun intended) to prove to himself he made the right decision to move on. I say hell yeah AJ, see what you can do. The big question is the money. Where will it come from? LT's release/trade would free up some much needed scratch.:no:

Message to LT. Please renegotiate your contract. You still have a lot to offer to the Bolts.

F.*** those people who think you are DONE!

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Buck... I know you're close to the chiefs happenings and the wife has got to be uberexcited. But don't sweat it man.

Not every player is going to want to go there. They know KC is still in rebuilding mode.

Not every coach is going to want to work with Pioli.

And don't discount Belichick's work. By all indications, Pioli was a great GM. But each situation is different.

We'll be fine.

26. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-panthers-peppers&prov=ap&type=lgns

Peppers won’t sign long-term deal with Panthers

By MIKE CRANSTON, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 29 minutes ago

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Julius Peppers wants out of Carolina.

The four-time Pro Bowl defensive end has decided he won’t sign a long term deal with the Panthers and wants to play in a 3-4 defense. His agent, Carl Carey, said Saturday that Peppers hopes to play for another team to “reach his full potential.”

The No. 2 overall pick in the 2002 draft, Peppers had a career-high 14 1/2 sacks this season and becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The Panthers could place the franchise tag on Peppers that would force him to play for Carolina next season, but it would cost the team about $16.7 million in a one-year deal.

27. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Wants to play in a 3-4 eh? I don't think AJ will go for him, sadly, but I think he'd be awesome with us.

28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Maybe he wants to move to OLB? I can't see him wanting to move to DE in a 3-4. If "full potential" means more sacks, that is not there as a DE in a 3-4.

29. calgary_chargers

calgary_chargers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    lets get him and allow him to experience the beautiful and sunny weather down there in San Diego.

30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    ok this is starting to get interesting