1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Perry one defender Chargers may have eyes for

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Mar 8, 2012.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    LOS ANGELES — USC defensive end Nick Perry is crossing his fingers.
    Next month, after his name is called at the NFL draft, his new team could ask him to change positions and become an outside linebacker.
    Perry says that’ll work — he just needs someone to teach him.
    Someone, he hopes, like new Chargers linebackers coach Joe Barry.
    Before Barry joined the Chargers staff in February, he spent two years at USC, coaching the linebackers and preparing for opponents alongside Perry.
    “There’s chemistry there,” Perry said Wednesday at the Trojans’ on-campus pro day. “Just being familiar with something around me would increase my comfort zone, just open up even more and flourish.
    “Coach Barry is a good coach. Who knows? I might get coached by him again someday.”
    It’s conceivable.
    Scouts project Perry as a mid-first-round pick. The Chargers pick 18th.
    The team needs a pass rusher. Perry is capable of becoming a very good one. And the word “capable” is where Barry comes into play.
    The 41-year-old wasn’t in attendance Wednesday — two Chargers staff members were, including John Spanos, director of college scouting — but wherever Barry was, his ears should have been burning.
    Colleague after colleague praised how Barry game plans and develops players, how he prides himself as a teacher first and coach second. Shawn Howe, a USC defensive line coaching assistant, called Barry a “phenomenal teacher” and “the best coach I’ve ever seen.”
    “It’s unbelievable,” Howe added. “His knowledge is second to nobody I’ve ever been around. I’m being serious now … The way he does it with his PowerPoint (presentations), it’s so easy to learn. He can cover so much because he teaches so well. He doesn’t have to grind and grind on the same stuff.”
    Barry and Perry spoke in Indianapolis last month at the NFL Combine.
    They could meet again in the coming weeks, as Perry will visit several teams during a tour of private workouts.
    The Chargers haven’t started making their invite list yet, Spanos said; however, Perry seems like a logical candidate for any team that runs a 3-4 defense.
    In that scheme, the 6-foot-3, 270-pound Perry plays best as an outside linebacker, scouts say. And since there is little college tape of him dropping back in pass coverage, teams who host Perry can run him through a gantlet of drills, grading his hip fluidity in space.
    But Perry isn’t worried about any of that.
    He just needs a teacher.
    “I think with the right training, I can do anything,” Perry said. “The sky is the limit.”

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I didn't realize that our new LB coach was from USC. Could we possibly draft him AND sign Williams, since Phillips is a FA next year? This gives us a year to get Perry up to speed without expecting him to start day 1, but would also provide a quality body for a rotation.

3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I wonder what the dead capspace hit to cut/trade Philips is.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Why would anyone want to get rid of the king of Twitter?

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    To sign Williams and/or acquire a first round pick. :)

If he's in a contract year, and his salary is the majority of his cap number, trading him could get us a first (you'd have to think at least a second) and free up cash for Williams.

This would obviously be highly dependent on the market value of SP and his cap number/structure thereof.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    You hate him that much, huh? ;)

[​IMG]

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I actually really like SP. He's one of my favorite players on the team. That's completely irrelevant however, if we can better the team significantly by moving him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    SP is only $5.6M on the cap next year and in 2013 his contract is up.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    5.6 mil is a lot of bank if you're 4 million away from being able to sign Super Mario. What's more important than his cap number for the 2012 season is the structure of that number. I believe (could be wrong) that if you trade a player any prorated bonuses still count against your cap. If his bonus would kill that whole 5.6 mil, then there's no point in trading him.

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    That is true.. SP could be shopped heavily if Mario Williams is being pursued heavily. Imagine an 0utside linebacker core of Mario Williams, Nick Perry, Antwan Barnes, English (If he turns it around), and I believe LaBoy can get kick started if those 4 ahead of him are getting attention from most OL's.

11. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I dunno I fell Perry won't be around @ #18 I like Priscos pick

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    Yeah I have a feeling he won't be either. But you never know. I think he's deff top 25.. It all matters what happens on draft day really..

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If you think that SP will garner a 1st or 2nd round pick by himself then you need to pass that pipe. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You're probably right, I didn't think he was going to be 31 this season.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    with 2 bad seasons in a row..

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Phillips wouldn't fetch a 2nd, much less a 1st on the open market. He's a 30 year old (31 before the season starts) LB who has had battles with injuries the past two seasons... what part of that equates to 2nd round value in your mind?

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    [​IMG]

18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I posted earlier that I hadn't realized he was 30 going on 31.

19. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Perry or Poe would be nice! The D needs some help. SP will get back on point once the opposing defense has someone they need to block. Right now he is the closest thing we have to a threat and they just shut it completely down