1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Perryman 'hit on defenseless player' penalty

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ZapCannon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. ZapCannon

ZapCannon Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone out there bless with me with a short video clip of Perryman delivering that massive hit on the Oakland Raiders reciever last night???? ..also any rad chargers footage in general

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    You mean the one where he's aiming at the chest, and Crabtree ducks into his helmet drawing a BS penalty?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I do think that is the one.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Cheap call on the kid but it counted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Calls like that are making it easier for me to walk away from the NFL when the Chargers leave.

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I've never understood how the hell the "defenseless posture" penalty is supposed to be applied.

And--as Savage already pointed out--Perryman certainly didn't aim high...

To have a "boom-boom" hit like that, likely change the conclusion of a game
    just should not happen...especially when the rule is so murky in the first place.

Perryman has been one of the few bright spots for this team in '15,
    and props to him for handling (getting screwed) this with grace.
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/dec/25/chargers-denzel-perryman-raiders-hit/

Perryman a gamer.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Love Perryman's game and I can see why TT selected him and week in, week out he looks like a steal at the position we got him. At the time, I wasn't a huge fan of the pick, but with Butler's play last season and now this year, it's clear 52 will be the clear cut leader of this unit next year. Te'o also looks a lot better beside him than Butler, who's play always dragged Te'o's.

8. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    i called it when we got him that we got a steal. and got blasted for us not needing him. but he was a good quality pick. Who's playing better than anyone would have thought. i really love the fact that he's not afraid to hit people and get dirty. IF he continues his play he could be one of the best lb's to ever dawn the charger jersey, but only if he can do that and improve his coverage.

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I don't care how much he improves, he'll never be as great as Seau was, who was arguably the best to ever play the game as a linebacker.

Now Perryman often gets compared to Ray Lewis, and I can see that in a hunch. Will he be Ray Lewis? Probably not, because Lewis was also one of the top linebackers to ever play the game as well. But, Lewis was a very good coverage linebacker early in his career. As you said, Perryman would have to improve his coverage skills for sure, but the way things look, Perryman is going to be a very, very good linebacker for us - but please don't say he will be better than Seau. He's already better than your boy Daryl Gamble though.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    no he didnt aim high, but from what I understand the defensive player has to make an adjustment to the offensive players change's. With that you are going to have defensive players aiming for knees. Every time they change a rule for players safety, it seems like they create a loophole for another type of hit.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    The "make an adjustment" part is perfectly reasonable...
    but on a bang-bang play like that, the defender has no opportunity to re-direct his momentum...

12. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    He won't ever be as good as seau. But if he improves constantly he has the potential to be one of the best lbs we've had. And yeah he's better than gamble I need to change that but I keep forgetting about it lol.

13. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I have not seen further video of the hit, but I continue to disagree with that call that ultimately ended up costing us the game.

The receiver had both feet on the ground (was then a runner) and was clearly protecting himself when Perryman contacted him. By the text of the rule (Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7), the play was not a foul. Perryman got penalized for making a virtually perfect play. The call was awful.

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    the way they are changing the rules now, its getting harder and harder to even understand the rules, and then the enforcement of the rules sometimes is not consistent between crews.

15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Crabtree ducked into Perryman's helmet. Just like against the Donkeys when Osweiler ducked into Ingram's arm. What the hell is a player supposed to do when he is in a legal position and the opposing player ducks into a "personal foul?" It's BS.

16. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ Maybe they could call it, wait for it, the "Duck" rule.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1