1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peter King; A quick fix for the playoffs and my predictions for Wild-Card Weekend

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    In the NFL, what passes for major debate today is how the wrong teams are in the playoffs. We seem to either want New England to get some sort of hall pass because they're home for the holidays and San Diego is in, or we want to just eliminate the division structure altogether and get the six teams with the best records in each conference in the playoffs.

No, and no. But what the NFL should do is not automatically award division winners a home playoff game. I'll get to the reasons for that in a moment, and I'll pick this weekend's game, but first, let's put away the violins for the Patriots, and for the death of divisions.

The fact New England lost out this year is an unfortunate anomaly. The Patriots are certainly one of the best seven or eight teams in football today, and 12 make the playoffs. In the last three weeks of the season, they played in the driving rain (Oakland), blowing snow (Arizona) and 40-mph gale-force winds (Buffalo) and outscored foes 109-33. Good team. Very good team. But let's compare the Patriots and Chargers in a few relevant categories.

• Record: New England 11-5, San Diego 8-8. Huge advantage Pats.

• Head-to-head: San Diego 30, New England 10 on Oct. 12. Advantage Chargers.

• Division record: New England 4-2, San Diego 5-1. Advantage Chargers.

• Last month: New England 4-0, San Diego 4-0. Even.

• Last Half-Season: New England 5-3, San Diego 5-3. Even.

New England lost by 25 at home to Miami and by 23 at home to Pittsburgh, and allowed Brett Favre to convert a third-and-15 pass in overtime Nov. 13, leading to an overtime win by the Jets in Foxboro. So while there's little doubt they're one of the best teams ever to not make the playoffs, they're hardly the '85 Bears. Or even the '07 Patriots.

Regarding the idea to have two 16-team conferences, with no division distinctions, or to simply take the best six teams per conference to the playoffs: Bad idea. It'd take away the playoff-ramification significance of division games. Steelers-Ravens will always be a bad-blood game, but if both are 11-3 late in the year and assured of playoff spots, their game becomes nothing but a joust for better home-field seed in the playoffs -- and maybe Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh rest sore vets for a half because good health is more important to them than home playoff games.

What the league should do is determine home playoff games throughout the playoffs by virtue of record. That would reward the teams that played the best for 17 weeks ... and prevent much of the slacking-off by team in Weeks 16 or 17 if they already know where they'll be seeded, and whether they'll be home or away.

Should 11-5 Atlanta be at 9-7 Arizona, which beat no team in the final 11 weeks of the season other than the below-.500 dregs of its own division? In the 19 years the NFL has used the 12-team playoff format, I'd argue that Arizona is the worst division champion. (Go back and look it up. I did. I can't find a worse home playoff team since 1990.) The Cards capitalized on the worst division in recent NFL history -- the NFC West was 10-36 outside of its division -- and took road futility to a new high. They were 0-5 in the Eastern Time Zone, and lost those games by an average of 20 points. Atlanta, meanwhile, beat three playoff teams in the last six weeks, two on the road.

Should the Colts, four games better than the Chargers (12-4 to 8-8), have to fly to San Diego today for Saturday's playoff game? No. Indy won the head-to-head matchup, in San Diego, and by any measure is the better team.

I know what the NFL will say. We put a premium on winning the division, and we don't want to de-value it by not guaranteeing the division champ might be on the road for a wild-card game. But why? I understand the part about not devaluing the division champ. Fair. But a playoff berth alone is reward enough. What's patently unfair is telling an 11- or 12-win team that has survived a much more difficult schedule (11-5 Atlanta, for instance, or 12-4 Indy) that the reward for having a far superior four-month run is to be on the road in the first round of the playoffs.

It won't be hard to fix. And it must be fixed.

Now onto the picks for Wild-Card Weekend:

Indianapolis 29, San Diego 23. The Chargers have the best shot of any home 'dog to win this weekend. Peyton Manning is on a ridiculous late-season run, but Philip Rivers might be individually hotter (11 touchdowns, one interception in San Diego's 4-0 December). While I don't think the Colts will go into this game thinking it might be the swan song for Tony Dungy, who is expected to ride off into the real-world sunset after the season, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the trusted defensive vets like Dwight Freeney goes around to his guys when things get hot late in the game and says we're not letting our guy go down like this again, in the first game of the playoffs.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    We have em right where we want em. :tup:

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Dwight Freeny is going to mad so duh! the Colts will win. That's some analysis...

4. Bolt Action

Bolt Action BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, that gauntlet of Detroit, Cincy and Cleveland was a pretty tough row to hoe for the Toilet Seats. I don't know how they got through that stretch without a loss. They're too good for us.:icon_shrug:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You expect them to bet against a Manning? Get real!

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Freeny is going to do his patented spin move and injure himself again.

7. Bolt Action

Bolt Action BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't expect them to bet against them, in fact, that's probably where the smart money is. I'm just saying that there's been some cream puffs in this nine game run of theirs. That schedule was not as tough as PK would like you to believe.

8. bleed_bluengold

bleed_bluengold BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    my prediction (and my 2 cents): Colts over Bolts. I love the bolts but, i think Indy deserves it more and we arent as strong as indy. altho..id still love to see the blue and gold victorious. i just wont hold my breath and expect a win.

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    You never want King to pick your team.

10. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Peter King is double fisting Favre and Manning's cocks. Every article he writes he touts how hes one of the voters for Hall of Fame, MVP, etc.. "oh look at me everyone! I'm not a blogger! My writing counts!" Even though hes most known for his, *gasp*, online column MMQB.

F--ktard.

No one picked us over the colts last year either, and we all know how that turned out.

11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Manning is third on Peter King's slobber list behind Brady and Favre.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    :icon_rofl:

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Peter King is a tool. Who even cares what he thinks?

14. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +695
    My friend is a Pat's fan .. she won't shut up about their record being better than Chargers! I keep telling her to shut up about it; she sounds like a broken record.

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    This thread is done, late.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Just hand her a hanky and tell her Charger fans are laughing their arses off about it!

17. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +695
    I did!! I told her to deal with it. She is pissed though!

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The improbable will happen this year. Remember I said it first!!!!!!

19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Just tell her, karma is a ***** :lol: and then ask what the score was in week 6.

If you want to get into the playoffs, win your division or a wild card spot. The Bolts have been on the short end of the stick before too - boo hoo.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Don't worry, the Bolts will shut her up on Saturday! Stay above ther fray, and smile when she is bittcchen! Give that "I know better than you" attitude! When this is over, a real friend will still be there. In the mean time, don't lose out of the fun of making her crazy!:lol: