1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peter King gives us some love

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/06/mmqb/index.html?eref=sihp

The Chargers want to show they're not your father's Bolts.

Rather than look at the narrow 30-23 victory in Cleveland with negativity, I look at it as an example of San Diego growing up. The Chargers built a 27-7 lead on a 27-degree wind-chill day, and even though San Diego likely won't face a frigid game in the playoffs, it's good to know the players can handle it if it comes. More likely, San Diego will find a road to the Super Bowl runs through Indianapolis. The Chargers would never say that makes them happy, but they don't have to. The stats say it.

"I don't think that's a team Indianapolis wants to play,'' says Tony Dungy, who might know a thing or two about what Indianapolis wants.

With the most recent game first, the past five San Diego-Indy meetings did not go well for the Colts. How they've gone:

2008 playoff, at San Diego: Chargers 23-17 (OT).
    2008 regular season, at San Diego: Colts 23-20.
    2007 playoffs, at Indianapolis: Chargers 28-24.
    2007 regular season, at San Diego: Chargers 23-21
    2005 regular season, at Indianapolis: Chargers 26-17

So let's see. The Chargers in 2005 beat the 13-0 Colts in Indy. The Chargers knocked the 13-3 Colts out of the playoffs in 2007 in Indy. The Chargers knocked the 12-4 Colts out of the playoffs in 2008 in San Diego.

I sense a trend.

The Chargers lead the league in matchup problems for defense. On Sunday in Cleveland, San Diego started two 6-foot-5 receivers, Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd, and two tight ends, 6-4 Antonio Gates and 6-2, 295-pound Brandon Manumaleuna. They subbed two more 6-5 wideouts, Legedu Naanee and Kassim Osgood. Smurfy Darren Sproles caught four balls. Gates had an eight-catch, 167-yard day. "Football is a game of matchups,'' Gates said from Cleveland. "Right now, our skill-position guys can match up well with defenses.''

Consider how the Chargers are playing in their seven-game win streak. They are scoring more than one unbeaten team, Indianapolis, in the past seven games, averaging 31 points during the win streak, and defending better than New Orleans, averaging 15 points allowed in their win streak.

"Our maturity level is higher,'' Gates said from Cleveland. "We realize it's all about now. Forget what happened last week, forget what we've got next week. It's now that counts. We've also realized all that stuff about talent doesn't win games for you. Having talent doesn't mean you'll win in the playoffs, and going 14-2 doesn't mean you'll win. We just want to get to the postseason and be playing well when we get there.''

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Nice find! Thanks for posting it!

3. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Good read.

Not to put words in anyone's mouth, I do think the Colts probably do not want to see us in the playoffs. Understanding that they are professionals and know that they will have to beat someone(s) somewhere down the road, they can't really ignore the recent history and the potential problems we pose, in terms of an offense that can meet or exceed their level and a defense that always seems to make a play against them when it becomes necessary.

Let's get in the field and let the chips fall where they may.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Peter King usually isn't this bright. :no:

5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I wonder who the ghost writer was? :lol:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    fixed

• Like Like x 1
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Pack it in now, the sea has parted and the mountains have leveled out. We're done for.

8. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    As good as the Colts seem to be, they run the ball worse than we do. :yes: We match up pretty good against the Colts. I welcome a chance to play them.

9. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Well he still made a mistake, Naanee isn't 6'5''.

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    In all seriousness, there is not a team in the AFC that really scares me. The Pats are not the team they once were. The Colts are very beatable. I think the toughest matchup for us might be the Steelers, but they might not even make the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    He's pretty spot on when it comes to our offense.

He seems to leave out our defense. We don't seem to control the run very well. we're in the bottom half when it comes to rushing yards allowed.

12. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Fear not, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while! (I'd say Mr. King qualifies)

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
  14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I know what you mean, we're in every single game because of Philip Rivers, VJack, Gates, Floyd, Naanee, and some good pass blocking.

But we still can't run, and we still can't stop the run. I love how we matchup with the Patriots and Colts, but Cincy really really worries me. Cincy has become a tough gritty hard running team, and we struggle against teams like that.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't think the Bengals will be an easy win for us, but they are sort of up and down. They have not scored alot of points, and their recent history suggests that they are not invincible.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeeesss.....but neither are the Chargers. We have some glaring weaknessess (like the 30th ranked rushing game) that could cost us down the line. Not being able to convert a 4th and 1 against the Browns last week is the perfect example. Thats a failed drive that could kill us in the 4th quarter against better teams. Also not being able to run AT ALL on first down kills the element of surprise on 2nd and 3rd down because teams know we have to pass.

Sorry to be so "glass is half empty.":lol: I love that we are 9-3 and all, but the AFC is a ***** to win right now, its going to be harder to hide our weaknessess against playoff caliber teams.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    [​IMG]

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    DOOOOD!

You just cant grasp the message! THERE ARE WEAKNESSES MAAAN! WEAKNESSES!

I mean, WTF over! This team has to play hard every game to win! That is some sorta straight up murder your barby doll BS right there!

[/sarcasm]

19. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    No ****, Sherlock. The Chargers have matched up very well against the Colts for years and it just now occurred to you that they might have a shot against the Colts? Welcome to planet Earth Mr. Sports "Journalist."

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Guess that wasn't milk that you got in your Cheerios today .... :icon_tease:

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm sorry, didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings, I'll revert back to saying what everyone wants to hear.:violin:

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just yankin' your chain a little, man. :icon_tease:

23. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I like to put my two cents in...

[​IMG]