1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peter King --- MONDAY MORNING QB --- How 32 teams stack up right now

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, May 11, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/05/10/may11/index.html

7. San Diego
    Philip Rivers' great 2008 season was lost in the fog of a weird, controversial 8-8 year. I bet there haven't been 20 seasons -- ever -- as statistically impressive as the one Rivers had last year: 65 percent passing, 4,009 yards, plus-23 touchdown-to-interception differential. Now Shawne Merriman returns with his wacked-out, Seau-like desperation to succeed, and first-rounder Larry English comes from the Mid-American Conference determined to prove A.J. Smith didn't reach for him. This team's good enough to win 13, but it has to survive the toughest road schedule in the league: at Pittsburgh, at the Giants, at Dallas, at Tennessee, all in the last three months.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/05/10/may11/3.html

Quote of the Week I

LaDainian Tomlinson renegotiated his contract this offseason to stay in San Diego.

"I think you realize that if I was to stop playing today, I would look back and say, 'Man, I wish I could've kept playing and try to go after that record.' I don't want to have to do that. I want to be able to give it all I got and I feel like I'm close enough where I can make a serious run at the record.''
    -- LaDainian Tomlinson to XTRA sports radio in San Diego, via sportsradiointerviews.com.

To break the record, Tomlinson would have to rush for 6,596 yards ... in his 30s. Not saying it's impossible, but the Lions going 12-4 this year is more likely.

So LT, winning a championship isn't important to you??

:icon_huh:

2. Pittsburgh
    Other than losing Bryant McFadden (free agency, Arizona), nothing significant happened to a deep roster this offseason. You can be sure Mike Tomlin won't be much of a laurel-rester, but it's always quasi-impossible to repeat.

Larry Foote won't be missed?? :icon_huh:

I had a friend of Ben Roethlisberger's tell me the best thing that could have happened to him was not being MVP of the Super Bowl. After he led one of the best playoff drives ever to give Pittsburgh its Super Bowl title, Santonio Holmes got the MVP. Big Ben said he was fine with it, but now he's got something else to shoot for and some perceived critics to shut up.

I worry a little about Hines Ward surviving another physical season, because there's not a good possession-receiver/playmaker behind him. I worry about Casey Hampton being in shape. When those are your biggest worries about a team, that team's in pretty good shape.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    These rankings are a joke, but by far the biggest punchline is Chicago at #4. That was just hysterical. King writes about how Rivers had one of the best seasons in NFL history last year, and then he proceeds to rank the Chargers behind Jay Cu-ntler, not to mention the Colts, who the Chargers have beaten in the playoffs two years in a row.

As for the Patriots being #1, their problems went much deeper than not having Tom Brady last year. They might have gone 11-5 last year, but they had a very up and down year. Clearly, they will be better with Brady back, but to suggest they are just as good as they were two years ago when they only lost one game? That's a stretch. They've lost a lot of veteran talent since then, especially on defense.

I find little in these rankings that really makes much sense at all.

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    If his last name was Manning it would have been given to him. He did far more to help Pittsburgh win than either Peyton or ECry did to help their teams win the previous two Super Bowls.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    oh Peter King, how I love laughing at you :lol: $10 says when The Great Favre Monster signs with Minnesota they jump into your the top 3.

p.s. LT's best quote re: 2009 is not when he was asked about the rushing record it's the one in my siggy :yes:

5. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Philly is improved enough with their moves to take the next step in my opinion. Hell, they made it to the NFC Championship game last year missing key parts of their O-line but added Andrews, Peters and a stud FB in Leonard Weaver. That's not even talking about Maclin, McCoy and Ingram wreaking more havoc on offense. They also added some defensive depth. I'm surprised that Peter King has both the Giants and Bears ranked over them in the NFC. My guess is that either San Diego or New England winds up playing the Eagles in the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh lost a lot more than just McFadden and Indy will miss Dungy more than they think.

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Gramps, you're still alive!!!!

:abq1::abq2::abq1:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This is a joke...

Bears #4, why? Because they got Cutler? :icon_huh:

Cowboys #9 when they didn't make the playoffs?

Patsies ahead of the Steelers when they didn't make the playoffs? Though it can be argued that they should have made the playoffs with 11 wins but still... HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET AHEAD OF THE DEFENSING CHAMPIONS?!!! :icon_huh:

Cardinals made it to the Super Bowl and almost won it... THEY'RE NOT EVEN TOP 10?!!! :icon_huh:

Falcons got knocked out of the playoffs in the first round by the Cardinals... WHY ARE THEY RANKED HIGHER?!!! :icon_huh:

Dolphins clinched their division in one of the toughest divisions in the league. Yet they're at #17 with Jets at #16 and Patsies at #1.

We knocked the Ponies out of the playoffs in the first round. Why are they ranked at #5 and us at #7?

There are many other things to point out but the one I find most interesting of all... Denver at #20.
    Would they be in Top 5 if Cutler were still with them?

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

They think they're being clever when really its just annoying to watch them use *** backward logic and media hype to make their decisions.

9. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    PATRIOTS -> :kisskiss: <- PETER KING

Pats at no 1 is pretty standard Peter King stuff. Im really not surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I hope they put us 15+ in every single power ranking.

I really do not want to be any kind of favorite. I'm tired of disappointment and horrible starts.

:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I am truly thrilled with all of the over hyping of the Bears. Many people are putting Baby Jay into the savior role, the one missing piece of the puzzle. With the expectations so high, it will be even better when Baby Jay continues to be the most overrated QB in the NFL, and fails to deliver.

• Like Like x 1
  12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think the Norris division will be competitive but no way are the Bears are the best team even in their own division.

:tdown:

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_party: