1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peter King - MONDAY MORNING QB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Optimism is everywhere in the NFL with training camps cranking up

SI.com
    Monday July 26, 2010

It is great to be back. The World Cup was terrific, my brother's death a punch in the jaw that still hurts, my vacation was needed but a little ... empty. Today is the start of football season for me, and it's a great feeling because this is as wide-open a season entering training camp as I can remember.
    I expect a job action down the road, but it's not time for that today. (And I don't plan to be a negotiation-monger every Monday for the next 31 columns, because I don't believe much of great substance is going to happen before February.) Today is time for hope. I tweeted the other day the reason this is such a fun time is because 32 teams think they have a chance to make the playoffs right now, and I think about 28 actually do. (Scratch St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Buffalo and probably Cleveland, though I guess it's possible Jake Delhomme can be reborn and the Browns could eke out nine wins.) Detroit? Kansas City? Seattle? Not dead at all. They can all throw the ball, and all have made some defensive progress.

So here goes, my 27th season covering the greatest show on turf, real and artificial.
    Optimism everywhere. Rightfully so. The last three Super Bowl winners, in the year prior to winning it all, won 8, 10 and 8 games. (The Giants, Steelers and Saints managed that trifecta.) That means one of the following teams -- winners of between 8 and 10 games last year -- should feel very, very good entering training camp this week:

1. New England (10 wins).
    2. New York Jets (9).
    3. Cincinnati (10).
    4. Baltimore (9).
    5. Pittsburgh (9).
    6. Houston (9).
    7. Tennessee (8).
    8. Denver (8).
    9. New York Giants (8).
    10. Atlanta (9).
    11. Carolina (8).
    12. Arizona (10).
    13. San Francisco (8).

That's 41 percent of the league with the same shot the past three Super Bowl winners had entering the year they won it. Take that to Vegas, put $20 on each team and, hey, you should make more than $260.

Unless what I think is going to happen happens. It's early, very early, but I haven't backed off a San Diego-Green Bay Super Bowl. Two teams knocking on the door pretty consistently (Packers averaging 10 wins a year over the past three years, Chargers 11 a year over the past six season), both with terrific young quarterbacks (Aaron Rodgers 27, Philip Rivers 28), both with suspect defenses.

Kind of sounds like the Saints last year.

"You know I picked you guys to make it to the Super Bowl,'' I said to San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers the other day. "But I'm a little worried about the guys you might not have.''

"You know me,'' Rivers said. "I'm the ultimate optimist. I know what everybody thinks about the guys we might be missing. Of course we want Vincent Jackson, Marcus McNeill and Shawne Merriman [unhappy with their contract offers] with us for the whole season, but I've been thrilled with what I've seen in the offseason program. We've had great work with our receivers -- Antonio [Gates], Legedu Naanee, Malcom Floyd, Buster Davis, they all look great. They're ready. And this is the best offseason we've ever had.

"We've never had 50 guys showing up with the 7:30 group [in strength and conditioning workouts] on a random Tuesday in April. It was almost like a full team workout at 7:30 in the morning, which we've never had. They just kept coming, day after day. Not that we haven't been hungry. But we've gained the knowledge of what it takes to win by coming so close so often.''

We'll see. But how Green Bay and San Diego come through training camp will be interesting, particularly in the cases of the stars with contract issues.

Aug. 3
    San Diego
    San Diego Chargers
    What I'll be looking for:
    Meeting Ryan Mathews, the rookie running back out of Fresno State.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/07/25/mmqb/index.html

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

yeah because 3 seasons make a pattern

Let me be the first this year to say

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't think it applies to Peter King since he's picking the Chargers to win the AFC.

Although he has Rivers as the 11th best player in the league, so you can go with that :icon_shrug:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

guess I jumped the gun. I stopped reading after I read his prognostication for the last three years

:flag:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Be sweet revenge to beat the Niners in the Super Bowl after being slapped around so badly in '95.

6. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Hell, just beat whomever shows up...good 'nuff for me. :icon_toast:

7. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    "suspect" defense :icon_huh:

How about "suspect" F-N kicker.:icon_twisted:

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :deadhorse::deadhorse2::deadhorse::deadhorse2:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^

And screw Peter King. Don't let him into TC, Norv!!! :no:

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Please Peter - DONT PICK US for anything - thanks ;)

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    :yes: this

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't need a revenge SB win. Just a regular one would do nicely. :lol:

13. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Sounds like that 100 million contract for PR meant he would be selling tickets preseason now.

"Philip, things look like they are on thin ice around here so we need you to pump up the people a little. People trust you, they believe in you".

Lets see it PR. Lets see Legs and Davis do what a VJ does. Lets see an aged vet play the blindside like McNeil.

Sorry PR. I love ya, but I'm not buyin what your sellin.

Still excited for Charger football though!! :abq1:

14. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    With you this is always half empty.

[​IMG]

15. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    :lol: