1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peter King's 2007 QB prediction

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by msmith, Jun 18, 2007.

1. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Here is the link.

Hmmm...he puts Bulger and Hasselbeck ahead of Rivers?

He thinks that Kitner will be that good?

McNown is better than Croyle?

2. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Vince Young ahead of Rivers, WTF!?

Cutler at 10?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I like Eli Manning at #23.

Who has a link to that Giants board?

:icon_rofl:

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It's even better when you read his criteria for the rankings: "who will have a better year in 2007."

Young had a 51% completion percentage last year. He had more Ints than TDs, and he had a QBR of 66. Rivers completed over 60% of his passes, had a +13 TD to INT ratio and had a QBR of 92. I know Young is not a traditional passer, but you have to be better than mediocre as a passer to be ranked in the top 10 QBs.

Both Young and Rivers should be better in their second year starting, but how is the overhyped Young, with a mediorcre supporting cast, going to have a better year than Rivers, with an elite group of offensive players surrounding him? I just don't get that.

Also, Rivers gets a 7/10 for intangibles? King obviously knows nothing abou this kid. His intangibles are off the charts.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Preseason predictions are never correct. Dont sweat them.

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Dude, give Vince Young some credit. Untested rookie gets thrown into the fire, and as you mentioned he had a weak "supporting cast". Yet he won more games than he lost, and almost got the Titans to the postseason.

I don't think Young is overhyped at all. :no:

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

This absolutely 100% correct. This rating is about as accurate as a Tony Snow press briefing. Why don't we wait and see how many of these get out of training camp on crutches or with their arms in slings, or until we see how many of their linemen have healthy knees and backs? A third of these guys may miss games for various stretches.

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    51% completion percentage = Overhyped.

Young got credit for "winning" games that he did not, like the Titans game against Jacksonville. Young had an awful game, but Tenessee had three returns for TDs that led them to a win.

Young is an electric player, and he has the chance to be great. But until he proves he can throw the ball consistently, Young is nothing more than Vick 2.0.

Saying that Young is going to have a better year than Rivers is overhyping Young. He's just not that good yet.

9. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    I don't necessarily agree with Peter King's ratings, but you just answered your own question on why somebody might like Young over Rivers. Philip would shoot himself if he had Vince's "supporting cast".....if you want to call it that. Heck, as good as AJ has drafted, quarterbacking the Chargers should be so easy, a caveman could do it. Its a shame that Philip gets deducted points for that, but at this point, Vince has done as much with less, I guess you could say. Let VY have Gates, LT, Turner, and most importantly, your O-Line, and I would bet he could do as good a job as Philip has, to this point.

I personally have Rivers rated 4-5 slots about Young, but I can understand his rankings, based on a criteria.

10. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Also,

The criteria that you used for Young getting credit for a win that he didn't do much vs Jacksonville should apply to Rivers as well. Rivers had some non-descript games too, vs Oakland (twice), and he was horrific against KC and Seattle.

That's a flawed, homered glasses assessment IMO. You could use that argument against anybody.

• Like Like x 1
  11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, then you do not understand his criteria. The criteria is "who will have a better year in 2007." Given his supporting cast, Rivers should have a better year. The criteria King was using wasn't, "Who would have a better year in 2007 if they all had identical supporting casts." Even then, I have a hard time believing Young will have a better year.

Look, I have a great deal of admiration for Vince Young. I think he has a chance to be very good, but he's not there yet. He's being overhyped to the extreme. People are treating his potential as if it's been realized, and it has not. If Young realizes his potential, he has a chance to be a HOF QB. But he's not there yet. Some people want to act like Young is already great at everything. But the truth is, at this stage of his career, he's a very good running QB and a below average passing QB. I think he'll make strides this year to get better, but he's not going to suddenly become a 65% passer especially with a weaker supporting cast than he had last year.

I'm really not trying to knock Young. He had a very solid rookie season. The problem is that he's being so overhyped that I find myself pointing out his obvious flaws just to counter the hype.

I love VY. And I can't wait to see him develop.

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The problem with your comparison is that Young is being hyped as a "winner" despite his poor statistics. Young's supporters say, "he might be a 50% passer, but he just wins games." Pundits want to give Young credit for winning games where he did little to help his team.

Rivers, even with a few bad games, was one of the top-rated passers in the league, and he was the #1 rated passer in the 4th quarter.

By most accounts, Rivers had a better year than Young in 2006. And I think it's reasonable to assume that Rivers, going into his fourth year in the league, is going to improve more than Young going into his second.

13. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Just based on what he did last year with the restraints Marty had him under, the fresh supporting cast this season and a more wide open offense this year, I would put Rivers in the top three if he stays on his feet for the whole season. I don't see any other young quarterback in the league that can match his upside this year. Part of his performance last year was feeling his way into a proper leadership role, convincing the head coach just to let him play and the inevitable rookie teething problems all new players face. All that and All Pro, too. Rivers is about to turn into a hardier and more athletic Fouts. Right now we are the toughest game on any schedule, especially since he will be practising full time with all the guys he will be throwing to from day one, assuming Craig is in camp on time.

14. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    How does one assign a number to intangibles? The whole list thing leaves me fanatically apathetic.

:SDC:

15. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
  16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    VY will have a terrible year.
    He lost his best 3 recievers and Travis Henry.

Now all he has is 1 fat *** RB, and another who doesnt really want to be there.

• Like Like x 1