1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peter King's Mailbag--"Tell me again why the Chargers let Brees go.''

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IFiredCHart, Dec 1, 2009.

1. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    • THEY HAD TO. From Ian of Encinitas, Calif.: "Tell me again why the Chargers let Brees go.''

Well, it was one of those deals where San Diego GM A.J. Smith had little choice. He had Brees recovering from major shoulder surgery and unsigned, and he didn't know if Brees would be ready to start the season. And Rivers had spent three years mostly as the understudy, and the Chargers had invested time and big money in him, and he was ready to play. He's been very good over the last four years, and I understand the frustration of the Chargers fan watching Brees be great elsewhere now. But you can't kill the Chargers for this move. Not at all.

I am new here, so I am wondering what the general opinion about replacing Brees with Rivers was...is it wrong to have absolutely no regrets over replacing a QB without a playoff win, an INT-riddled season, and shoulder surgery for a guy with 3 straight playoff appearances, inhuman toughness, leadership on and off the field, an enormous penchant for pulling improbable comebacks, and a 14-2 rookie campaign?

Are most Charger fans really regretful at all about letting Brees walk? I really just assumed that many were too content with Rivers to really notice (I personally am).

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I've always loved Brees, but I'll take Rivers over him every time. Brees is playing better this year than I ever thought he was capable of (one of the best seasons of any QB ever), but Rivers is quickly shaping up to be a future hall of famer in his own right.
    BTW, check your facts about Brees and the playoffs. Didn't his Saints beat the Iggles in the divisional round a few years ago before being taken out by the Bears?

3. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Rivers is the fiery up trash mouth guy, Brees is more middle class reasoning boy. He never would have brought the sticks together in San Diego like Philip does. It was a good decision for Drew to move to NO and build new confidence there after Kathrina. I like them both.

But here is River's era now :abq2:

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    because Brees had a shoulder that was gone and they had no way of knowing what condition it would turn out after surgery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think the comparison was Rivers today vs Brees when we made the choice.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    And to believe Raiduds fans only live for the past.:icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I thought of that, but then in his comparison he mentioned Rivers playoff wins and his 14-2 season. Clearly, those weren't on Rivers' resume when we let Brees go.

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah yeah, I got the impression it was basically a flagrantly unfair comparison because it applies hindsight to Rivers, but not to Brees. That knowing what we know about Rivers, it was the right decision to have made at the time... or something to that effect. But whatever, not here to argue interpretation of a sentence or semantics.

Brees good, Rivers better. :tup:

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Ugh, this again? That is NOT the Drew Brees that played here, he has gotten signifigantly better under Sean Payton and is in the perfect offense for his talents. Drew used to stare down recievers here, now, he is the master of pumpfaking/looking off the safety.

Both guys are great and I root for Drew to keep having success in NO as long as it doesn't come @ our expense.

Brees shoulder was NUKED (THANKS MARTY!!!) and any thought of franchising him and getting a $1.05 for him went out the window the second he went down in that Donkies game. Rivers was getting paid big $$$s, was 100% healthy and ready to go, so that made the choice for AJ to let Brees walk easier.

I am TOTALLY happy the way it turned out and I am thankful we have Philip as our LEADER.

Some people need to LET **** GO.

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Blown shoulder with unknown future.
    or
    1st draft choice riding the pine at a huge salary.

Couldn't keep both with the cap issues. Trading Rivers and keeping Brees would have been nuts given the injury to Brees.

And to answer the question that will be ask in this thread.
    Why did we let him go for NOTHING? Because there was NO TEAM WHO WOULD TRADE FOR A QB WITH A BLOWN SHOULDER!

11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    My only problem with letting Brees go was letting him go for free. With so many teams in desperate need of QBs you got to get something back.

Though I must admit I believe we probably would have won the thing already had he stayed. Him and LT were two Texas boys destined to share a ring together and AJ broke up the charma.

But who would have thought a first year starter would have gone 14-2? Once Rivers put that up that many wins in his first year it really didn't matter anymore.

Two classy guys.

12. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Exactly, and I mentioned the 14-2 because it was one season removed from Brees with a team very similar to the team that Brees and Schotty took to mediocrity the year before.

Wow, that was a mouthful :icon_eek:.

And I agree with Kwak about the compensation--the Dolphins passed on him for free because of the shoulder.

13. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If I remember right, trading Rivers would have been a $12M cap hit at the time, plus we would have had to pay Brees at least $11M to keep him here. $23M in cap money in a year we only had about $100M. I hate it when facts get in the way of fantasy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Like Alpenbolt the only thing I was pissed about was us letting him go for nada. The same effectively applies to Michael Turner (yes we got what, a 4th rounder!?).

At the time though I was very happy with the decision. Brees was badly injured, nobody knew how he would recover. Rivers stepped in and for me has been nothing short of fantastic ever since.

For me Rivers is (right now) still the guy I want leading my team. I am still not convinced Brees can win the biggest of games. I might b wrong but like RTL said as long as it is not at our expense I am cool with it.

Move on everybody.

We win it all this year and everyone can get over it forever!. :tup:

15. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Yeah, I almost feel guilty for bringing up a Brees v. Rivers discussion, but reading that comment in the SI mailbog (not a typo, it is essentially a "bog") floored me, as I had heard very little about letting Brees go in any Charger circles. (and with good cause: Rivers is something special)

Like others have said, I am quite a bit less comfortable with letting Michael Turner walk, but recent NFL history has shown us that a quality RB can be found in R2/R3 of the draft, from Steve Slaton, to Ray Rice, to Kevin Smith, to LeSean McCoy. At the time, it would have been a 6-year deal for a guy who has never been a starter at a position infamous for one/two-year wonders, and although I do not fully agree with letting Turner go for nothing, I can understand why AJ and Co. made the choice.

16. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Only 1 team seriously went after him when he was FREE, the Dolphins went with Culpepper over Brees. If there was only 1 team seriously interested when he was FREE, what makes you think there would be more or even equal interest when he would cost significantly more.

You can't trade something no one wants to trade for. The Shoulder injury killed any chance of a trade. AJ's options were either let him go, re-sign him and trade Rivers, or Franchise him again hope he recovers and has a monster season and keep Rivers on the bench another year, then either Franchise him again and try and trade him or sign him long term. If Brees was Franchised and didn't fully recover then you wasted a year with Rivers and you still get nothing for him.

The risks just didn't outweigh the rewards. Obviously with 20/20 hindsight it's so easy to make the decision, but that wasn't the case.

Oh and to answer the OP I'd say 99% of the people who post here are happy with Rivers.

Also Brees would of been no where near as good in San Diego than he is NO. We wouldn't have been a pass happy offense with Marty, Brees thrives in a pass offense, he did in Purdue and now in NO.

but also when comparing the 2 it's unfair to look at Rivers now and compare him to what Brees is doing.

This is Rivers' 6th season vs Brees' 9th.

Brees 2006:
    64.3% 4418 yards 26 TD 11 INTs

Rivers projected 2009:
    64.2% 4273 yards 28 TD 9 INTs

And as far as this season Rivers has been extremely consistent all year, lowest QB rating was the 1st game of the season (84.5). Brees has had 3 sub 80 QB rating games (lowest 58.9), but he's also had some superb games.

• Like Like x 1
  17. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    What those numbers also fail to recognize are 4th quarter moxie and playoff victories. :yes:

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Brees is playing in a system that allows him to throw like crazy and put up ridiculous Fouts like numbers. That's not to say that Brees isn't a very good quarterback, but he'd be good but nowhere near great in any other system.

We got rid of him because we had a first rounder we were paying big bucks and Brees injured his shoulder. Once Rivers was picked though, above all else, Rivers would be taking over this team. Brees was gone sooner or later. I'm glad he's done so well in NO and I wish him nothing but the best but I'll take Rivers any day

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    RTL said it better than I could have. Agree totally. :tup:

20. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Gee some people in the national media sure have limited memories.

Why did the Chargers let Brees go in favor of Rivers?

1.) Hmmm.... an injured QB with severe damage to his throwing shoulder versus a healthy QB signed to a $40 million contract. The type of damage that either turns the QB into a limp-noodle armed Chad Pennington or one that suffers little effect.

2.) Said injured QB wanted a long-term deal. What GM that wasn't insane would do that? You don't give an injured QB a long-term deal if there's a 50% chance he doesn't fully recover.

3.) Said injured QB was "insulted" when asked to play for one year for $3 million, with a kicker that made it $9 million if he took 75% of the snaps.

4.) Said injured QB decided to test the FA market and see if he could get a better deal. The Dolphins and Saints tried him out and put him through the paces and a team physical. The Dolphins' medical staff didn't like what they saw, the Saints took a chance.

San Diego only let Brees "walk" after several attempts were made to sign him to a lower deal, but one that wouldn't break the bank and the team if he wasn't recovered. He refused and left.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think saying that we should have got something for him is just living in a fantasy world. You were not going to get anything for him, especially after he nuked his shoulder. The only way to guarantee compensation for an unrestricted free agent is to put the Franchise Tag on him, which guarantees him a contract salary that is among the top 5 at his position. I don't think a healthy Brees was a top 5 QB in '05, especially with a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. To Franchise him would have been taking an exceptional risk. I'm sure AJ would have loved to get something for Brees, but the injury ended any chance of that.

22. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks for the responses, guys, I was just curious because the fanbase here is very knowledgeable and was wondering if this "Brees envy" was the result of widely-held public animosity or a casual fanboy watching MNF and have a 12-hour memory of a QB's accomplishments.

I believe I have made my stance known by this point...as long as we have Rivers, we will always be in the hunt :abq2:.

23. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    We did get something for Brees ---- a 3rd round comp pick for the 2007 draft. Which at the time, a 3rd rounder was about the best anyone could hope to get for a QB coming off a major injury to his throwing shoulder.

Remember, after Brees left for free agency, only two teams showed interest in him. A bunch of teams that needed a starting QB, and only two contacted his agent.

What did we do with that comp pick? We chose Anthony Waters. Waters is currently on the Bills. You can see him on NFL Network Thursday Night as they host the Jets.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Anyone who knows the story like most here do know that we are now living in Best Case Scenario land.

Saints took a hell of a risk and it paid off. Good for them. Chargers stuck with the safe bet and it paid off. Good for us.

Also, last time I checked, as great as Drew is doing in NO he still has the same amount of rings Philip does, and less playoff victories.

People who still calmor for Drew, Marty, Mike Turner, and anyone else who is not here any longer need to GET OVER IT.

• Like Like x 1
  25. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    At the time it came down to who you keep. They decided Rivers. But what killed us was brees getting hurt at the end of the season so we couldn't put a tag on him and trade him.

When that injury happened to brees my heart sank knowing we got screewed big time with getting a good trade for him or Rivers.:yes:

26. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Can you imagine if Rivers was in that Saints offensive system? He would throw for 7000 yards every season. And I too would take Rivers over Brees 110% of the time.

27. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    why the hell is this even being brought up?
    did someone dredge up a thread from 2006?

28. IGOR RULES

IGOR RULES BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Exactly!

Brees disagreed on the deal proposed because of the guaranteed money AJ Smith did not want to committ before knowing exactly the real status of his throwing arm shoulder.

So Brees wanted to secure his future trying the Free Agents market and he struck gold with New Orleans. I am happy for him, but the fact remains that it was Drew Brees who refused a good (given the circumstances) contract from the Chargers.

The option choosen by Brees had TWO risk factors:
    1) Brees not knowing for sure how his shoulder would heal
    2) New Orleans hoping for his shoulder to heal perfectly

AJ Smith is not a gambler: this is very good for the Chargers.

In hindsight I am happy for Brees having some success in Louisiana and - OF COURSE - for Rivers having tons of success in San Diego.

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He's right about on part... We DID Have To!!!
    Either Brees or Rivers had to go... simply because one team isn't big enough for both!!!

Brees will always be one of my all time favorite Chargers but Rivers has given us no reason to miss him (as a player).

30. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Anybody who questions that move is not looking at the entire picture and focusing solely on Brees lighting up the joint in New Orleans.

It's easy to look at that and blindly ask the question if you forget about the guy behind San Diego's center who's no slouch himself.

Brees is awesome, but so is Rivers. That move worked out great for both teams.

The only fans who should be bitter about Drew Brees' success are Dolphins fans because it's their team that chose Duante Culpepper over Drew.