1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson placed on Exempt/Commissioner's Permission list

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    In other words, he's been deactivated until his trial......

Vikings place Adrian Peterson on Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list, won’t be with team until legal matters are resolved

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on September 17, 2014, 2:16 AM EDT

The Minnesota Vikings have reversed course on Adrian Peterson’s reinstatement to the team and have placed him on the exempt/commissioner’s permission list, which will require Peterson to remain away from all team activities until the resolution of his legal proceedings.

The Vikings released a statement early Wednesday morning that announced their decision regarding Peterson. The pressure was building on the organization after their decision to reinstate Peterson on Monday. Sponsors were beginning to speak up and politicians called for Peterson to remain suspended.

Owners Mark and Zigi Wilf finally elected to alter their decision and found a mechanism to keep Peterson away from the team indefinitely while his legal matters are addressed. The lengthy statement from the team is as follows:

“This has been an ongoing and deliberate process since last Friday’s news. In conversations with the NFL over the last two days, the Vikings advised the League of the team’s decision to revisit the situation regarding Adrian Peterson. In response, the League informed the team of the option to place Adrian on the Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list, which will require that Adrian remain away from all team activities while allowing him to take care of his personal situation until the legal proceedings are resolved. After giving the situation additional thought, we have decided this is the appropriate course of action for the organization and for Adrian.

“We are always focused on trying to make the right decision as an organization. We embrace our role – and the responsibilities that go with it – as a leader in the community, as a business partner and as an organization that can build bridges with our fans and positively impact this great region. We appreciate and value the input we have received from our fans, our partners and the community.

“While we were trying to make a balanced decision yesterday, after further reflection we have concluded that this resolution is best for the Vikings and for Adrian. We want to be clear: we have a strong stance regarding the protection and welfare of children, and we want to be sure we get this right. At the same time we want to express our support for Adrian and acknowledge his seven-plus years of outstanding commitment to this organization and this community. Adrian emphasized his desire to avoid further distraction to his teammates and coaches while focusing on his current situation; this resolution accomplishes these objectives as well.

“We will support Adrian during this legal and personal process, but we firmly believe and realize this is the right decision. We hope that all of our fans can respect the process that we have gone through to reach this final decision.”

The Vikings did make an admirable move in getting ahead of the story when they deactivated Peterson for last week’s game against the New England Patriots. However, they made a misstep in bringing him back to the team so quickly while this matter hangs over Peterson.

They have now realized their error and corrected it. With Peterson’s first court hearing not schedule until Oct.8, it certainly doesn’t appear he’ll be playing for the Vikings again any time in the near future.

2. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Sooooo....he was gonna play this Sunday....aaaaaandd now he's not.......:barefoot:

The NFL doesn't know whether to sh*t or go blind at this point....what a freak'n mess....:poop:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    All it's doing is throwing anyone and everyone under the bus in a pathetic attempt to keep its power

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Vikings and the NFL tried as hard as they could to do the wrong thing, but the negative attention forced them to reluctantly do the right thing.

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    I don't claim to know what the right thing is.

I'm remembering how Lawrence Phillips was cheerfully drafted into the NFL
    --with the 6th overall pick!--despite dragging a woman down 3 flights of stairs.
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...awrence-phillips-gas-station-robbery-nebraska
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/saraceno/2005-08-23-saraceno-phillips_x.htm

and while I'm glad to see the NFL begin to set higher standards, I think they might've
    communicated their newfound indignation/intolerance a bit better. We seem to have inexplicably jumped
    from "We're totally cool with violence off the field" to "This is so atrocious that your career is over!"
    with nary a memo.

As to spanking/beating, I'm never going to defend the Peterson pics we've seen.
    But again, we seem to have moved from
    "Spare the rod, spoil the child" to "You're a despicable monster for using a switch"
    without really explaining the new rules.

Again, I'm not going to defend what Rice or Peterson did...I'm just interested in the lack of transition
    steps from "total tolerance" to "zero tolerance"...and I bet Rice & Peterson's lawyers are too.

538 had an interesting story yesterday on America's varied attitudes towards spanking:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/...nking-vary-by-party-race-region-and-religion/

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 8.48.17 AM.png

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Being payed not to play football isn't exactly the harshest penalty in the world. I think somehow Peterson will survive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

What was amazing about that was how many NFL players agreed with Peterson... it's not exactly uncommon for kids raised in the South or Midwest to have been spanked and many turned out fine. Ironically in minority homes it's a hell of a lot more common than in white homes, knew a lot of latino and African American kids who would get their butts whooped even into high school. But on two rather loud coasts spanking was redefined as a cross between Battery and Child Abuse about fifteen years ago, so that's the basis of this outrage.

Honestly not sure about what Peterson did was that wrong, not sure spanking a kid is wrong or if Peterson just went out of control. Too little information honestly.

Palate Cleanser...sort of....or maybe just a humorous interlude: http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...hould_not_be_used_for_punishing_children.html

8. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I was raised in the North, but I was spanked with bare hand (no "weapons" of any form, even a paddle), so take this all with a grain of salt.

Physical force used as discipline, in my opinion, is completely fine as long as it is used appropriately. What is appropriate? I have my own benchmark:

The spanking should keep the focus and attention on the kid and his actions. The moment the punishment itself takes the spotlight, it is crossing the line.

Example? I was spanked when I did something really wrong, it hurt like hell, but it made me think about what I had done wrong. The lesson stayed with me, and the punishment itself was soon forgotten. I never had any marks or bruises of any kind.

Peterson, reportedly, used a switch as a whip to leave scars all over his 4-year-old son's body, including his scrotum. THAT action is far worse and far more damning than ANYTHING an innocent 4-year-old could be capable of. And as a means of punishment, I would be too much in pain to even think about what I did...I would instead be more focused upon how I could avoid being beaten in the future.

Punishment should be about the child, using it as a way to teach them lessons about life. Beatings like Peterson's are usually more about parents wanting to weird power over something or someone, using their child as the outlet.

This, in my opinion, is not right. Peterson, if the reports are true, deserves to serve child abuse jail time. Especially after he lost a son last season to an abusive stepfather. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed-sons-funeral-tyrese-robert-ruffin/3003117/). Hypocrite beyond repair.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Reportedly, it's not the first time either...... another of his children (by a different woman) has a scar above their eye that was left by "daddy" Peterson.

10. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I will admit to being a huge critic of AJ Smith for several reasons, too many to name. But I was wrong about being harsh on his policy of valuing character above all else in his players, going to what seemed to be Draconian lengths to rid his locker room of miscreants.

Now, it is looking like a very smart move. You see teams like Denver that top the list in suspensions/bad publicity, and with this recent wave of domestic violence, it is looking even smarter.

I am glad that the Bolts are competitive this season, but even if they were not, I would not be ashamed to root for the blue and gold. However, if I were to learn that some of the team's star players were making headlines for sick allegations such as these, it would NOT be easy to root for the team.

It makes me proud that we are a team of high upside, high expectations, and moreover, high character.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    LOL thinking beating your kids ever accomplishes anything

I am sorry for all you guys and gals who had parents who raised a hand/belt/switch/lash/whip/shoe/weaponofchoice at you in the name of discipline. Mine did to me (no so much my brother) and I hated them for a long time because of it. Also didn't teach me a damn thing about following rules or whatever they intended it to "teach" me, instead I became more rebellious and abusive.

This story really makes me f'n sick to my stomach, just thinking about that poor 4 year old screaming in pain and crying his eyes out while his own father bloodies his nuts because WHO F'N CARES. AP is a piece of sh1t.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Beating your child bloody with a switch is not the same thing as spanking. Beating him so that his testicles are bruised, is not spanking.

The police do not file chargers for abuse for spanking your child.

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Church. While I certainly understand the impulse to spank an unruly child, I fail to see how it's morally defensible or how it accomplishes anything. Kids are just little people. No one would dream of coming to AP's defense if he beat a family member who was over 18 with a stick.

• Agree Agree x 2