1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Peyton not giving Chargers respect?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,482
    Acee: Peyton Manning doesn't give Chargers respect

Peyton Manning is in denial. Or else he’s just that arrogant.

“It’s hard to put a summary on different teams of different years,” Manning said when asked Tuesday how the Chargers' have had so much success against him. “I’m probably not ready to answer that question.”

I’ll answer that question.

The Chargers have won five of their past six meetings with Manning, dating back to 2005. In fact, they’ve embarrassed him.

They’ve intercepted him 15 times (to 11 touchdown passes). His passer rating is 74.5 over the six games.

Among the 23 teams Manning faced more than once between 2005 and ‘10, Dallas (2-0) is the only other team to have a winning record against him. He’s had a lower passer rating against just two teams.

Among the other five teams he faced as many as six times in that span, including Baltimore (99.5) and New England (97.3), his average passer rating was 102.2. Manning has only thrown multiple interceptions in 22 games since ‘05, and the Chargers have been the opponent in four of those.

“You’re talking kind of different times,” said Manning, now the Denver Broncos quarterback and preparing to face the Chargers on Monday night. “I’m with a different team now ... Those were Colts versus Chargers games. These are division games now. I have an appreciation what a division rivalry means.”

I guess he wasn’t trying in those non-division games against the Chargers. Must not have appreciated those playoff games the Chargers won against the Colts after the 2007 and 2008 seasons.

I’m used to ignoring NFL types trying to insult my intelligence. But Manning is offensive.

You know what the difference between Peyton Manning and A.J. Smith is? Manning listens to his PR people and has a Southern drawl that comes off nicely in commercials and sound bytes.

I bring up Smith because the Chargers’ general manager has sort of been on a mission since Manning signed with Denver. A mission to, I don’t know, get in Manning’s head. Maybe he figures since Cooper is no longer around to do so …

I asked Smith last week, prior to the Broncos’ loss at New England, about Manning -- his arm strength, his readiness after just four games following a year off due to a neck injury.

“His arm strength looks the same to me,” Smith said. “Manning is one of the greatest field generals in NFL history. He has had multiple neck operations, but he didn’t hurt his great football mind. Manning is totally healthy and ready to roll.”

My interpretation of our previous conversations about Manning was that Smith was being largely sardonic. But this time, I could not read his face, because there was no expression. He was either being entirely forthright or has taken acting lessons.

“Any time you play against a Peyton Manning-led team, one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, you better bring high energy and you’re ‘A’ game just to have a chance to win,” Smith said. “You don’t make mistakes and get away with it when you’re dealing with this enormously talented player.”

I know him too well to believe Smith was being absolutely sincere. But not even he is arrogant enough to pretend Manning isn’t still awesome.

He might have lost some zing, be a little rusty yet. But Manning is one of the three best quarterbacks of all time. I mean, the Chargers are 6-2 against Matt Cassel, but who gives a fart?

Here’s what Manning said Thursday when told that Norv Turner identified the Broncos offense as doing a lot of the same things as Manning’s Colts: “It doesn’t make a lot of sense for me to answer that. I can’t speak for other coaches and how they see this offense or this defense … There has been a lot of change for me -- new surroundings and new players and new coaches and new system. However any team sees us that is certainly their opinion, and I have my opinion of what it is, and that’s kind of between me and our coaches.”

Really, he said that. It’s an in-house secret whether the offense they’re running is essentially identical to the one that he ran in Indianapolis? Really? I guess no one else has noticed.

Predictably – and I say that because he pulled the same passive aggressive condescension prior to the last time the Chargers handed him his oversized hat – Manning would not even acknowledge the chess match played between he and the Chargers defense over the years.

He couldn‘t say, yeah, Stephen Cooper really did a great job against us, identifying what we do sometimes, glad he’s not there anymore. He couldn’t acknowledge Quentin Jammer’s two interceptions against him? Eric Weddle’s pair of picks?

Manning knows Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano, who was a Colts assistant Manning’s first four years in the league, has played a pivotal role in prepping the Chargers defense for facing him. Couldn’t give Pags a shout out?

Couldn’t compliment one of the three previous Chargers’ defensive coordinators that befuddled him. I understand not wanting to acknowledge Ted Cottrell beat you twice -- but Ron Rivera?

“I see it differently,” Manning said. “I haven’t played for the Broncos against the Chargers. If you see it as the same scenario as the times I played of the Colts that’s fine. I just don’t see it that way.”

Yeah, the Chargers will probably decide to not pressure Manning this time. Or maybe they’ll switch to the 4-3. Because what they’ve done in the past sure hasn’t worked against him.

Manning could not have tried harder to be evasive on a conference call with the San Diego media on Thursday. That’s his right, for sure, but would it somehow ***** his carefully cultivated image to acknowledge even once that the Chargers have owned him?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hope his next neck surgery is to remove his anal sphincter from around it.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    What's he going to say? We've sucked consistently against the Chargers, i've had two 5 INT games against them and they ended my season twice in the playoffs?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, a little truth would be too much to ask. :rolleyes:

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,764
    He is part of the Manning family!

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    This team has lost to every elite QB it's played this season (admittedly a short list), why should he? Our CBs can't cover anything, so he has no reason whatsoever to be alarmed, while their corners actually can. Most likely, he'll be playing with a lead and handing the ball off in the 4th.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well then you won't have to spend your time watching, will you?

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't know if I'll watch this game live or not. Watching football games with 2 AM starts is kind of a downer, which is probably why I've been so pissed off about the NO game. Throwing your sleep schedule off to watch the game and then having them lose just makes me livid.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    :roflmao: Why should he... Most of the Chargers fans dont... :roflmao:

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    but are the Broncos a better team with him at Quarterback? We couldnt beat them with Tebow back there.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    but who is left from that defense?

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    you cant record it and watch it at a later time?

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not exactly my point, but I usually DVR the games myself if they're on late.

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I said that I probably wouldn't watch it live. I can (and do) record all of the Thurs/Sun/Mon night games to watch later, though I prefer to watch the Charger games live.

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    He knows Acee carries AJ's piss bucket. So of course he's going to treat him like the piss boy that he is.

This is a ridiculous article.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Who cares?

If you were Peyton would you be intimidated by Cason and Jammer?

17. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +322
    Perhaps not, but I would be by this guy....

Screen Shot 2012-10-12 at 12.24.55 PM.png

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and the hardest part is not knowing the score so that you can watch the whole game and not know who won.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,482
    CHARGERS NOTES: Broncos' Manning does his talking on the field

SAN DIEGO ---- Peyton Manning spent nearly 10 minutes on a conference call with local reporters. He didn't say much. The Denver Broncos quarterback sidestepped most inquires during the standard pre-game session, especially his lackluster track record against the Chargers. He wouldn't even concede that Denver imported elements of his offense from Indianapolis to exploit his talents.

He did give a progress report on his offense, which seems to be coming together. The Broncos gain plenty (388.4 ypg.) and score in bushels (27 ppg.), but not with the consistency Manning would like.

He believes the unit is too flighty on third down and takes too long to get going.

The Broncos have made nice comebacks, but haven't finished off a trio of them. The Broncos were behind by at least 10 points in each of their losses before losing by an equal or smaller margin.

"We've played well in spurts, but we're looking for four-quarter consistency," Manning said. "We're certainly capable of that, but we have to go out and do it. We have to try and find a way to not get so far behind.

We've shown the ability to come back and make it close, but we'd like to avoid getting into that hole. That's especially true against the Chargers, who play so well at home."

20. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Face Palm... :rolleyes: If you only knew what a sphincter muscle is.:tdown:

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,698
    I don't see anything wrong with Peyton's comments... this isn't the same team he's seen before and he's surrounded by a different cast of characters himself. You can't really compare those previous losses to now. Sure statistically the win/loss ratio looks good for us but there's so many factors that have changed. We'll find out on Monday whether or not those changes are in the Chargers' favor or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,482
    He never gave us respect back then either. I think that's the point. I've never heard him admit that the Chargers had his number...... which they did.

23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,698
    I guess I just don't get the big deal :shrug:

He's fun to beat b/c he's one of the best. I could give a rats *** if he "respects" our team or not. It's not like he's saying anything disrespectful about us either. Big whoop over nada imo~

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Thats why they play the game. If it was all talk the Pats would have been 19-0.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,482
    Some players never give the other team credit, even when they've been beaten repeatedly. It's always, "we beat ourselves", never "they were the better team today".

Peyton falls into that camp, and that bugs some people...... Kevin Acee is one of those people. ;)

26. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +496
    Dude, it's football, you do know it's not scripted right?, watch a movie instead, you know the good will always win there

Damn, what a crappy attitude :tdown:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  27. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    My bolt friend...we need your strength during the game...it transcends the distance and energizes the players. You may be the difference in the game. We are going to KICK Fricken donkey A**...You don't want to miss that...do ya?;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well then please educate me, doctor. I was going for having his head shoved up his ***. Where did I miss?

• Informative Informative x 1
  29. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    lol I didn't take it as that. But good idea.

A sphincter muscle is a muscle that closes. Such as, mouth, eye, top of stomach, bottom of stomach, and the inner and outer sphincter muscles of the anus. LOL,... I can now see how much fun you can have with this..

30. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    Hell they wouldn't even need to say anything themselves, will all the media talk you'd think they were 19-0 every WEEK